Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somebody please explain blackout rules for League Pass Online

Default Somebody please explain blackout rules for League Pass Online

I couldn't watch the Celts game because it was blacked out. Tonight's game is blacked out. I don't live in Indy, so what's the deal? I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I'd paid for this service and couldn't watch the games.

Are the games blacked out for everybody? Are they tracking my ISP or something?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default Re: Somebody please explain blackout rules for League Pass Online

Blackout restrictions apply from your IP address....so depending on where you live or which proxy you use to connect, you will get different games with the label "blackout"

Hmm. So if I find an IP spoofer I can watch the games? Let's check this out.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Can you give some more info? What browser are you using? How did you set up your account?

For me it worked perfectly, using Flock for the first time.

Tonight's game is only tomorrow btw
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The games I see on their schedule tonight include a PHX game, A DAL game....both available, and the Celts/HOU game which is on NBA-TV. (So not available on League Pass).

I'm in Georgia. Tomorrow the schedule shows all games covered except two on ESPN, and the ATL/NOH game (blackout).

The rules, as I understand them, are that any nationally televised game carried by any national network will not be covered by League Pass. Any game covered by your regional network (like your FSN) will be blacked out, but they say, watchable on your subscribed regional network. Also, any TV League Pass subscription comes with NBA-TV as a freebie. But the online-only folks look like they're going to miss out on games covered by ESPN, TNT, NBA-TV, or their regional Fox Sports Net.

I'm not sure personally whether, the blackouts are IP based, or based on where you were when you signed up for the account, or what.

Free proxy servers are too darn slow for the feeds...I know that.
    Last edited by kester99; 11-04-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks for the great explanation, kester. My guess is that the blackouts are based on the ZIP code you enter for your account. I set up an account for the free preview using a us proxy, but to watch the games, I could just use my regular internet connection. So once you registered, it doesn't matter from where you log in. Then again, I entered an Indiana ZIP code and I could watch the game without any problems
    Last edited by Raskolnikov; 11-04-2008 at 01:01 PM.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Sports Logo

League pass changed the map Now if you are within 120 miles of Indy (I think) blackout applies. If you are over 150 miles from Indy you will be safe. If you put an address in that is at least 150 miles from ANY team no games should be blacked out for you.

I used to be outside of the blackout zone and I am 110 miles from Indy but now I am in the blackout zone. The good thing is that I don't need league pass to watch pacer games any more but the bad thing is the online is worthless for me.

I'm in Cincinnati... I'm guessing I'm within the 100-mile radius. So somehow I need to look like I'm from farther away.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    League pass changed the map Now if you are within 120 miles of Indy (I think) blackout applies. If you are over 150 miles from Indy you will be safe. If you put an address in that is at least 150 miles from ANY team no games should be blacked out for you.

I used to be outside of the blackout zone and I am 110 miles from Indy but now I am in the blackout zone. The good thing is that I don't need league pass to watch pacer games any more but the bad thing is the online is worthless for me.
    I changed my address to Las Vegas... no dice. Think they're monitoring IP traffic, or should I just try a new account?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Was the game carried on FS-OH? That would have blocked it out.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I changed my address to Las Vegas... no dice. Think they're monitoring IP traffic, or should I just try a new account?
    why not...see what happens. let us know.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

It's sad that it's virtually impossible for a student in Bloomington, Indiana to watch a Pacers game. We don't get FSN-Indiana in dorms here, and from what I'm reading, LP will have the games blacked out if I decide to register. Looks like it will be the 2nd straight year where I don't get to watch any games.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    It's sad that it's virtually impossible for a student in Bloomington, Indiana to watch a Pacers game. We don't get FSN-Indiana in dorms here, and from what I'm reading, LP will have the games blacked out if I decide to register. Looks like it will be the 2nd straight year where I don't get to watch any games.

Heck, try the online pass. Tell 'em a Frankfort, KY zip, or whatever it takes. The pass is free right now...until the 11th, I think. You'll get to see if the blackouts hit your team.

Isn't there a help desk person you can email and get help? They would obviously know more than anyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers View Post
    Isn't there a help desk person you can email and get help? They would obviously know more than anyone here.
    I filled out a ticket but haven't heard back yet.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

I filled one out about a year ago....ditto.

I'm in Austin, Tex and every Indy game is blacked out in the preview including the Phx gm. Many others that shouldn't be have been but Indy is by far the worst. I signed up several years ago for membership and its always been the same zip etc. Ive been on the live chat, sent a ticket and got a reply that I'd clearly answered in the original ticket. Still waiting on the open ticket now.

You guys obviously didn't pour the ring of salt around your computer while signing up nor did you have your lucky rabbit's foot in your pocket. I bet you didn't even sign up on a full moon! Were you even burning incense? Probably not. Did you boil two Pacer away game ticket stubs for precisely 1 hour?

It's no wonder you have trouble with the black art of blackouts....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I live in Hungary and was able to use a Codeen us proxy - it wasn't slow at all and managed to watch the games just fine. The blackouts that i experienced had changed with the various proxies that i used...if you have troubles - try to clean your cache and give it a go as well.

you can try this proxy:

port: 3128

worked fine for me.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think its poetic justice, given that SportsChannel Cincinnati used to own the Indianapolis broadcasting rights because of the Reds. In the early days of the League Pass on DirecTV, Marion County residents had to subscribe to both the League Pass and the Regional Sports package to get FSN-Midewest and therefore all of the games. Moving to Chicago allowed me to drop the RSNs and save $10/ month.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I bought the Broadband service and have yet to have a non-nationally-televised game blacked out, so I don't know whether it's your computer specifically, or the trial version that's doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I bought the Broadband service and have yet to have a non-nationally-televised game blacked out, so I don't know whether it's your computer specifically, or the trial version that's doing that.
    Where do you live?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    You're saying the HOU-BOS game is on your broadband?

Wheaton, MD, Anthem....see the avatar info?

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    Thanks for the great explanation, kester. My guess is that the blackouts are based on the ZIP code you enter for your account. I set up an account for the free preview using a us proxy, but to watch the games, I could just use my regular internet connection. So once you registered, it doesn't matter from where you log in. Then again, I entered an Indiana ZIP code and I could watch the game without any problems
    Indiana was probably a bad choice. If you want to make sure you never get any games blacked out you should have entered some place that is no where even close to where an NBA game will ever be played this season...like Seattle.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs