Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wells: Pacers forgetting problems at point (IndyStar)

streets ahead

Default Wells: Pacers forgetting problems at point (IndyStar)

November 12, 2008

Pacers forgetting problems at point
    Ford steps in and makes an immediate difference

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

Jamaal who?

T.J. Ford has made Jamaal Tinsley an afterthought in less time than it took the Indiana Pacers to box up and ship Tinsley's belongings to him this summer.

Ford's early play has given fans a reason to believe the team has solved its recent instability at point guard. The Pacers are 3-3 heading into tonight's game at New Jersey. Win, and they climb above .500 for the first time since late last December.

"I don't want to jump the gun, but this guy has to be one of the top point guards in the East right now at this point," said Jarrett Jack, Ford's backup. "I don't see too many people playing better than him right now. The All-Star thing crept in my mind with him and how nice it would be for him because it's his third go-around.

"People kind of write you off after your third go-around. He's been persistent with it and he's playing good basketball."

Ford started his career with Milwaukee and was traded from Toronto to the Pacers in the offseason. Injuries were an issue, not skill.

This season, he's been healthy. He also has beaten opponents with his scoring (17.0 points) and his drive-and-dish ability (6.0 assists per game). He has flirted with a triple-double in each of the past two games.

After last season, coach Jim O'Brien said the Pacers had to have better point guard play. Ford and Jack have accepted that challenge.

"It's so important to have toughness at the point guard spot," O'Brien said. "Mental toughness, physical toughness. I think Larry (Bird) being able to get both of those guys on our team has really changed our whole psyche because everything offensively and defensively starts at the point guard position."

It would be easy for Ford to play with a chip on his shoulder after Toronto basically showed him the door and put its offense in Jose Calderon's hands.

Ford doesn't see it that way, though. He's more concerned about continuing his trend of leading his team to the playoffs in his first season.

"I've got the mentality and mindset of coming and trying to get the team back to the status it should be," Ford said. "I think it's a challenge and it allows me to be more focused and get the job done. (We) want to prove people wrong and show people that we are a good team. We have a lot of different weapons and we're going to play hard every night."

Success aside, adjusting to O'Brien's offense hasn't been easy.

O'Brien likes constant ball movement. Ford likes to constantly have the ball in his hands.

Something had to give and the Pacers coach won out.

"I told him in the first meeting we had that he has a tendency to sometimes over-dribble," O'Brien said. "I thought it would take him some time to understand that passing is what keys everything.

"It doesn't mean we're taking the basketball out of his hands. We want him to penetrate, but we don't want him to penetrate into traffic. I think he's done an exceptional job."

O'Brien wanted the ball in Ford's hands late in the game against Oklahoma City on Monday.

With O'Brien calling a play -- a pick and roll -- for Ford every time down the court, Ford played a part in the Pacers' final 11 points. He finished with 24 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds in 40 minutes.

"He wants to show he can run a basketball team and be that guy for however long he wants to be there," Jack said. "I think he's doing a great job at the present time."

http://www.indystar.com/article/2008.../1088/SPORTS04
    a lot of people have been discussing the vibe around this team being better - the jack quote is definitely another example. ultimately, it's just refreshing to not have drama at PG so far this season.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 11-12-2008 at 09:51 AM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Default Re: Wells: Pacers forgetting problems at point (IndyStar)

Nice read
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

I our new PG's

PS atc, can you make the letters a bit smaller? They're like a tad too big.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

I like the way that TJ has performed so far...but I do get scared that when his shot is not falling he will still try to be the leader of the offense and turn into that game of JT against the Suns which we do not speak of...

I really like both Ford and Jack as our PG's. In the 4th qtr of the Thunder game, both just seemed to turn it up another notch. I feel real comfortable with them at PG. I just wish I could feel as comfortable with the 5 & 4 positions. Thanx Mr. Bird for getting Ford and Jack!

Who was it we traded to get Ford?

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "I told him in the first meeting we had that he has a tendency to sometimes over-dribble," O'Brien said. "I thought it would take him some time to understand that passing is what keys everything.
    This is what I love about O'Brien. He's excellent at getting players to notice their weaknesses and improve their games. We saw it at the end of last season with guys like Troy, Dun, Danny, and Diener. Now we're seeing it in the short time he's had with Ford. Overdribbling has been the biggest knock on Ford for his whole career. He comes to Indy and O'Brien sits him down and says, "You're not going to do this here." TJ responds and O'Brien rewards him by giving him the ball at the end of a close game and letting him do his thing.

I don't think O'Brien's abrupt no-nonsense style appeals to everyone, but I think we've got a group of guys here who aren't primadonnas and can deal with it. I think that our 3 promising youngsters will really get a chance to improve with J'Ob.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

personally I think PG and C is the most impotant positions to fill first. I think we have the PG filled perfectly. We have a starting PG and a great backup PG. we've have many years of PG problem and I think we can count on Ford to bring the tempo we need and have Jack back him up
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This is what I love about O'Brien. He's excellent at getting players to notice their weaknesses and improve their games. We saw it at the end of last season with guys like Troy, Dun, Danny, and Diener. Now we're seeing it in the short time he's had with Ford. Overdribbling has been the biggest knock on Ford for his whole career. He comes to Indy and O'Brien sits him down and says, "You're not going to do this here." TJ responds and O'Brien rewards him by giving him the ball at the end of a close game and letting him do his thing.

I don't think O'Brien's abrupt no-nonsense style appeals to everyone, but I think we've got a group of guys here who aren't primadonnas and can deal with it. I think that our 3 promising youngsters will really get a chance to improve with J'Ob.
    I agree completely. While I still wish he had a little more orthodox offense, I do like Obie as a coach in the classic sense of the word...as someone who teaches and develops. I'm really comfortable with him and the young guys...(which makes you really question how much of a train wreck either Ike, Shawne, or both were.)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only major fear from our PG position now is that both Ford and Jack have a tendency to be reckless with their bodies. Not that that's a necessarily a bad thing, but it does increase the probability of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The only major fear from our PG position now is that both Ford and Jack have a tendency to be reckless with their bodies. Not that that's a necessarily a bad thing, but it does increase the probability of injury.
    Jack's a bit reckless, for sure, but he's only missed 6 games during his 3 years in the NBA. He may be the healthiest player we've got on the roster.

The really nice thing about our PG situation is that I think we can win games with a Jack/Diener combo if Ford goes down.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Jack's a bit reckless, for sure, but he's only missed 6 games during his 3 years in the NBA. He may be the healthiest player we've got on the roster.

The really nice thing about our PG situation is that I think we can win games with a Jack/Diener combo if Ford goes down.
    Reckless to describe Jack? I would go with that. As of late, he has been a lot less fancy with the dribble, and just a solid player.

One thing I like about Jack is, someone mentioned that he had only missed a few games in his career, he gets knocked down and beat up, and he keeps going. Resilliancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

The Pacers have FOUR PG! They have one in Atlanta that is injury free and well rested just waiting to be called upon later in the season to carry the Pacers into the playoffs!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How refreshing is it to read about a teammate talking up a player, and his all-star status/possibility, rather than the actual player talking about it?

I know the knock on TJ at both his previous stops were that his backups were better, and the team decided to go with them rather than Ford, but it really seems like Jack is okay being the 2nd string. Players recognizing and accepting their roles makes things run so much smoother.

Also, while I don't necessarily think JOB is the right coach for this team, philosophy speaking, he is exactly the right type of person to lead this team.

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Jamaal who?

T.J. Ford has made Jamaal Tinsley an afterthought in less time than it took
    the Indiana Pacers to box up and ship Tinsley's belongings to him this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    The Pacers have FOUR PG! They have
    one in Atlanta that is injury free and well rested just waiting to be called
    upon later in the season to carry the Pacers into the playoffs!
    Who is right here?

Gotta LOVE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by half right
    The Pacers have FOUR PG! They have one in Atlanta that is injury free and well rested just waiting to be called upon later in the season to blow up all the good things that the other PGs have established, with poor on-court attitude (sinu-pout-i-sitis) and off-court incidents
    a few modifications seemed to be in order, that more realistically predicts the result of the return of JT.

Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-12-2008 at 12:54 PM.

i'm one of the bigger ford supporters, but the one thing i have been disappointed in is his lack of explosiveness. maybe i just didn't watch enough of ford last year to realize he has lost a bit due to injuries, but i expected more.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    i'm one of the bigger ford supporters, but the one thing i have been disappointed in is his lack of explosiveness. maybe i just didn't watch enough of ford last year to realize he has lost a bit due to injuries, but i expected more.
    A "lack of explosiveness" is not the phrase I would use to describe Ford this season.

What??? - I don't agree, but I am interested in specifically what you mean. (I couldn't imagine how he could be more explosive than he already is - especially when you consider his body. Granted he isn't Chris Paul - but come on

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Have you watched a lot of other teams, PGs in particular? PGs on his "explosiveness" level you can count on one hand.

If anything, it's his lack of size that is his only weakness. He has plenty of explosiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Now if we could just get Deiner to start penetrating and fearlessly attacking
    the paint with the same aggression that Jarrett Jack has shown.

()
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 11-12-2008 at 02:38 PM.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    How refreshing is it to read about a teammate talking up a player, and his all-star status/possibility, rather than the actual player talking about it?

I know the knock on TJ at both his previous stops were that his backups were better, and the team decided to go with them rather than Ford, but it really seems like Jack is okay being the 2nd string. Players recognizing and accepting their roles makes things run so much smoother.

Also, while I don't necessarily think JOB is the right coach for this team, philosophy speaking, he is exactly the right type of person to lead this team.
    My thoughts exactly!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's simply refreshing.

If the biggest goal for this season is restoring pride and (re)igniting the passion, we are certainly on track.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Aside from the backhanded poke in JO's eye, I couldn't agree more. I certainly don't walk around talking up the people I'm hoping to leapfrog in status/pay at work and it certainly isn't the norm in the NBA.

Good for Jarrett.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It wasn't backhanded. I thought it was pretty straightforward, I even took out his name in my post thinking it would have been redundant.

I got tired of hearing the same ol bullcrap coming from his gums every time the season was about to start, or he was coming back from an injury. He was always gonna dominate, get back to his almost MVP form, yadda yadda yadda.

In order to do so, he demanded touches so he could shot an awful percentage, and kill any resemblence of a good offense.

The backhanded poke's were towards Ron, Tinsley, and AJ if anything. (About not knowing their roles.)

I picked up a TJ Ford and Roy Hibbert jersey on Saturday...I looked at Jarrett Jack jerseys, but the smallest they had was XL.

I now wish I'd gotten one. I really, really like the guy. He's perfect for the role we're using him, and he appears to be just a fantastic teammate.

atc bolded some quotes, but this one at the end should be noted, too:

"He wants to show he can run a basketball team and be that guy for however long he wants to be there," Jack said. "I think he's doing a great job at the present time."
    This coming from the guy who is standing in line behind TJ for the starting job. He doesn't seem to care about that. It appears he wants the team to win, and he's comfortable that he can contribute and get plenty of play in the role he's been assigned.