Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert and Brandon Rush Rookie Development Thread for 08/09

Post Roy Hibbert and Brandon Rush Rookie Development Thread for 08/09

This is the Roy Hibbert and Brandon Rush Rookie Development Thread for 08/09

Ok .. I decided to make this thread and keep an official tally all year long with our #11 pick Brandon Rush , and our 17 pick ..
    , Big Roy Hibbert ..

This way , we can drool while keeping track at their progression ...
    recording game statlines officially for Pacer's Digest...

I just thought it would be a fun idea and build excitement for our rookies watching them grow as players in this league ...

1st off is our 7"2 278 lb. Center out of Georgetown

Roy Hibbert

8 Games 151 MIN. 30-55 FG
    0-0 3pt 14-29 FT. 18 Off Reb.
    30 Def.Reb. 34 Total Rebounds
    6 Assists 2 Steals 15 Blocks
    18 Turnovers 29 Personal Fouls
    74 Points Total

Coming up in my next post in this thread tomorrow, I will edit this original main post and I will be covering our 6"6 combo Shooting Guard / Small Forward out of Kansas...

That's right Brandon Rush... stay tuned .

If possible, I think it would be real cool if I could a moderator to plz pin this thread ..

Thanks
    Kemo

EDITED TO ADD IN :

Our Rookie Shooting Guard out of Kansas ..

BRANDON RUSH

8 Games 229 MIN. 33-78 FG
    9-213pt 6-10 FT. 8 Off Reb.
    21 Def.Reb. 29 Total Rebounds
    15 Assists 5 Steals 4 Blocks
    15 Turnovers 14 Personal Fouls
    81 Points Total

NOW FOR THE SEASON STATS

Roy Hibbert

1 Games 6.13 MIN. 1-2 FG
    0-0 3pt 0-0 FT. 0 Off Reb.
    0 Def.Reb. 0 Total Rebounds
    0 Assists 0 Steals 1 Blocks
    0 Turnovers 0 Personal Fouls
    2 Points Total

BRANDON RUSH

1 Games 24.19 MIN. 3-5 FG
    0-13pt 1-1 FT. 0 Off Reb.
    2 Def.Reb. 2 Total Rebounds
    1 Assists 1 Steals 0 Blocks
    3 Turnovers 1 Personal Fouls
    7 Points Total

UPDATED AS OF 10-30-2008

Last edited by Kemo; 10-30-2008 at 03:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy Hibbert and Brandon Rush Rookie Development Thread for 08/09

Don't worry - this is probably the only thread I'll post in this year.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post

Roy Hibbert

15 Turnovers 19 Personal Fouls
    This is the focal point of his development.

so anyone who wants to post updates, i will change them in the original post as time goes on... If I don't see anyone posting , then I will update them myself after every 3rd game we play ...

I am compiling Brandon Rush's stat's , and will post them with the next update

thx
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.

Good thread idea.

You can get compiled preseason stats from www.dougstats.com if you don't want to compile them yourself.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

.bump

Hibbert, Oden, Rush, Beasley, Rose...in the same video. This dude says Hibbert may have been a steal in the draft and that Rush may be better than Granger...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba;_ylt=Apd....7xh4r__85nYcB

Bump for updated stats

Arrow Re: Roy Hibbert and Brandon Rush Rookie Development Thread for 08/09

bump for update

I thought both players gave a good glimpse into the upside we all want to see from them last night.

Roy didn't play much, I assume because of his ankle. Had a really nice spin move along the baseline, and didn't commit a single foul. Rasho was really effective, and Foster is probably a better matchup against the Pistons who are often playing with two PFs instead of a PF/C. With that approach to the frontcourt, the "try to win now" mentality was on full display.

Brandon played more, had a couple of nifty moves, extended his defense well on the wing, but he did get spun around pretty badly a couple of times as well (especially the last play of the third quarter.) Brandon certainly contributed more than Daniels did, and hopefully will get a bit more of those minutes going forward.

All things considered, I expected a double-digit loss last night and I was in shock when we jumped out to a 12-4 lead. We didn't even play well, I thought, and were still within two possessions in the final minute against a good team, so that is encouraging.

It certainly helps that neither Billups nor Hamilton played particuarly well, shooting a combined 10-26 and Rip turning the ball over a lot. I didn't feel like our defense was causing that, it seemed to me that they missed shots they usually hit.

I did get very distracted during the second half, as my wife interrupted her reading of political articles on the internet to tell me that my client completed its big, anticiapted merger last night, so I might have missed some of Rush's 2H performance and I haven't read any post-game articles or PD commentary yet. Work... ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I thought both players gave a good glimpse into the upside we all want to see from them last night.

Roy didn't play much, I assume because of his ankle. Had a really nice spin move along the baseline, and didn't commit a single foul. Rasho was really effective, and Foster is probably a better matchup against the Pistons who are often playing with two PFs instead of a PF/C. With that approach to the frontcourt, the "try to win now" mentality was on full display.

Brandon played more, had a couple of nifty moves, extended his defense well on the wing, but he did get spun around pretty badly a couple of times as well (especially the last play of the third quarter.) Brandon certainly contributed more than Daniels did, and hopefully will get a bit more of those minutes going forward.

All things considered, I expected a double-digit loss last night and I was in shock when we jumped out to a 12-4 lead. We didn't even play well, I thought, and were still within two possessions in the final minute against a good team, so that is encouraging.

It certainly helps that neither Billups nor Hamilton played particuarly well, shooting a combined 10-26 and Rip turning the ball over a lot. I didn't feel like our defense was causing that, it seemed to me that they missed shots they usually hit.

I did get very distracted during the second half, as my wife interrupted her reading of political articles on the internet to tell me that my client completed its big, anticiapted merger last night, so I might have missed some of Rush's 2H performance and I haven't read any post-game articles or PD commentary yet. Work... ugh...
    I think it's also encouraging that we played decently well without Dunleavy, who I think would have added considerably more than Quis gave us tonight. Not knocking Quis, but Dunleavy is such a skilled player. Ford had a couple of possessions where he blew by Chauncey like he was walking backwards.
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 10-30-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Ok last night was the first game I’ve been able to watch this year. I was impressed with B Rush getting to the rim, I knew he could shoot but he finishes as well as Granger IMO.
    Hibbert (please tell me if im way off base here) I didn’t see anything to get excited about, I know he’s a rook but he looked down right lost out there. I saw no impact on defense and – gasp – a down grade over Foster on O. There were a few times I could hear someone yell from the bench something to the effect “you gotta run Roy” “get down there Roy”. Maybe Im expecting too much too soon.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    a down grade over Foster on O.

Wait....

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    Ok last night was the first game I’ve been able to watch this year. I was impressed with B Rush getting to the rim, I knew he could shoot but he finishes as well as Granger IMO.
    Hibbert (please tell me if im way off base here) I didn’t see anything to get excited about, I know he’s a rook but he looked down right lost out there. I saw no impact on defense and – gasp – a down grade over Foster on O. There were a few times I could hear someone yell from the bench something to the effect “you gotta run Roy” “get down there Roy”. Maybe Im expecting too much too soon.
    You really just saw his least effective game, he's still shaking out the nerves. I'm sure it didn't help being on the court with Shaq a guy you really looked up to as a kid.

Roy is fine, he needs to slow down a tick on offense and be stronger/more sure on defense. All things that will come with experience. I really really hope Obie sticks with him with minutes throughout the season, it's very important to the franchise imho.

He just needs to take a deep breath and relax.

Lastly, and then I'll stop apologizing for him, Amare is not someone he should ever be matched up against. That had to be an eye opener for him, I hope his confidence stays okay throughout this learning process.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Lastly, and then I'll stop apologizing for him, Amare is not someone he should ever be matched up against. That had to be an eye opener for him, I hope his confidence stays okay throughout this learning process.
    I agree with this completely. It might have been a good idea for us to play Roy whenever they played Shaq and taken him out whenever Shaq was off the floor.

He did have one nice pass last night, I think it was to Ford on a back door cut for a layup.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    You really just saw his least effective game, he's still shaking out the nerves. I'm sure it didn't help being on the court with Shaq a guy you really looked up to as a kid.

Roy is fine, he needs to slow down a tick on offense and be stronger/more sure on defense. All things that will come with experience. I really really hope Obie sticks with him with minutes throughout the season, it's very important to the franchise imho.

He just needs to take a deep breath and relax.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for!!

Banned

Once Hibbert learns to slow down and get rid of his rookie jitters, that little hook shot and shoulder-shimmy he has are gonna be close to unguardable.

Kemo,

I suggest that you maintain lines for each player's best performance at each statistic. In addition to his cumulative points per game average, you can also maintain a line showing his best game (with the date of that game.)

This will help us see if and how they are progressing. If you just update the averages, their exceptional performances will be obscured.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

I didn't have any problem with Roy or Brandon last night. Roy has some nice moves, but he rushed them a little. He's going to be spottier than Rush is, and he's certainly more timid, but I saw a mid-round rookie trying to learn how to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I agree with this completely. It might have been a good idea for us to play Roy whenever they played Shaq and taken him out whenever Shaq was off the floor.
    I didn't see the game but this is exactly right. There is no reason for Hibbert to match up against Amare until the time when Amare is overwhelmed by Hibbert's size and patience at the other end of the court. Roy needs time and game experience before he'll ever be in a position to make PFs-playing-C obsolete against him.

Why does it say on boxscores that Hibbert shot 2 threes today? I didn't see him shoot any.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This is the focal point of his development.
    Foul trouble is a typical problem for rookie big men. The game is quicker and more aggressive at this level and it takes time for a "big guy" to gain control.

Don't expect that to change too dramatically this season. However, we should hope that it will get better as the season moves forward.

On top of being mentally unstable, foul trouble really dampered David Harrison's development. Let's hope Roy figures this one out.

As for Brandon, he just looks like a rookie, yet he can still contribute. I don't buy the lie that either player has reached or has a low ceiling. They both look like fantastic future role players.

P.S., Hibbert really is earning playing time. He looked impressive against Zeke, and how about that Granger guy? I'm hoping that LeBron v. Danny can become midwest rivalry (like Jordan v. Miller).

Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post
    P.S., Hibbert really is earning playing time. He looked impressive against Zeke, and how about that Granger guy? I'm hoping that LeBron v. Danny can become midwest rivalry (like Jordan v. Miller).
    Exactly. Hibbert is going to be a beast within a couple years, if not by the end of this year(hopes and prays).

I've been called out for calling Danny a 30 point wing player when i said we had to extend him or he will get our of our price range fast. But he has proved he is. Not that he gets 30 every night, but very few do nowadays, if any. Jordan and Chamberlain and very few others ever have?

But Danny can get 30 on a contender on any given night. Kinda like Reggie. Reggie only averaged like 20 a game, but right below 30 for his whole playoff career until he got old.

Danny is putting up alot of 30 point games let's face it. Mike put up alot last year too. When he gets back we may have one of them over thirty around half the season? Im saying Dun gets 10 and danny gets 20. Danny has four 30 point games in in his last 6 if you coun't the last two games of last year.

Danny Granger has taken it to a whole other level. Rivalries will be formed. Sor sure. Kinda off topic here sorry.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Exactly. Hibbert is going to be a beast within a couple years, if not by the end of this year(hopes and prays).

I've been called out for calling Danny a 30 point wing player when i said we had to extend him or he will get our of our price range fast. But he has proved he is. Not that he gets 30 every night, but very few do nowadays, if any. Jordan and Chamberlain and very few others ever have?

But Danny can get 30 on a contender on any given night. Kinda like Reggie. Reggie only averaged like 20 a game, but right below 30 for his whole playoff career until he got old.

Danny is putting up alot of 30 point games let's face it. Mike put up alot last year too. When he gets back we may have one of them over thirty around half the season? Im saying Dun gets 10 and danny gets 20. Danny has four 30 point games in in his last 6 if you coun't the last two games of last year.

Danny Granger has taken it to a whole other level. Rivalries will be formed. Sor sure. Kinda off topic here sorry.
    Easy there, cowboy. We're four games into the season. I hope what you're saying is true but I'd give it half a season at least to see if Danny has morphed into the kind of player we all hope he is.

The scouting reports of most other teams probably haven't been updated to say what a focal point Danny is to our offense quite yet. When other teams start adjusting to a post-JO Pacers a little bit more and STILL can't stop Danny then I'll believe the hype. That will take a bit of time.

The only thing I've deduced this season so far is that Rush and Hibbert at the very least aren't chopped liver, which in and of itself is encouraging.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace