Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Throws

Default Free Throws

Is there any excuse for any professional basketball player to hit less then 75% of their free throws?

Default Re: Free Throws

For the ****ing money they get paid? no.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is there any excuse for any professional basketball player to hit less then 75% of their free throws?
    WHen your hands are disproportionate to the rest of your body, it often hurts your FT shooting.

Ben's hands are too small, shaq's are too big.

ANd dont give me that "they dont work on it" line of crap. OBVIOUSLY shaq has worked his butt off on FTs, he just cant find a good form.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Shaq changes his form from trip to trip to the line. If he stuck with one form he might be more sucessful. Don't go all Ben Wallace on me either, there are Pacers who don't hit this level either; it has nothing to do with Ben Wallace.

I think injury is the only excuse for shooting less than 75%.

These are people who are supposed to have been playing basketball their whole lives. You would think that with as much time they've spent in their life shooting a basketball and going to practice that they would develop a reliable free throw routine.

As for Big Ben and Shaq, I know they have disproportionate hands. That just makes it difficult to shoot FT's, not impossible. If they truly worked and worked or had a FT coach they would have to eventually find something that worked consistently.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

I think injury is the only excuse for shooting less than 75%.

These are people who are supposed to have been playing basketball their whole lives. You would think that with as much time they've spent in their life shooting a basketball and going to practice that they would develop a reliable free throw routine.

As for Big Ben and Shaq, I know they have disproportionate hands. That just makes it difficult to shoot FT's, not impossible. If they truly worked and worked or had a FT coach they would have to eventually find something that worked consistently.
    thats such a freaking misconception.

Shaq has had how many FT coaches? 15? 20?

And please, stop with the "he doesnt work on it" crap. Its been the biggest weakness in his game his entire acreer. You HONESTLY think he doesnt care that he cant get touches late in games?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

And please, stop with the "he doesnt work on it" crap. Its been the biggest weakness in his game his entire acreer. You HONESTLY think he doesnt care that he cant get touches late in games?
    I don't know. I just find it hard to believe that a person can work hard for years to find a way to consistently make free throws and finds it impossible.

Do you think there's absolutely NOTHING Ben or Shaq can do to consistently make free throws?

Do you HONESTLY think that if Ben or Shaq spent an entire offseason camped at a FT line that they wouldn't be able find a consistent FT shot?

I don't know. I just find it hard to believe that a person can work hard for years to find a way to consistently make free throws and finds it impossible.

Do you think there's absolutely NOTHING Ben or Shaq can do to consistently make free throws?

Do you HONESTLY think that if Ben or Shaq spent an entire offseason camped at a FT line that they wouldn't be able find a consistent FT shot?

Yeas, I really do believe that. Ben has one of the best FT shooting forms you will see out of a big man, yet he STILL cant make them.

Yeas, I really do believe that. Ben has one of the best FT shooting forms you will see out of a big man, yet he STILL cant make them.
    I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Ben/Shaq shooting FT's right now is "miss one, make one." I personally think that if they shot enough, they would eventually find out what would cause them to "make one" and do that over and over again until they could do it consistently. They wouldn't shoot 100%, but at least 70-75%.

They have the ability to make FT's. They just have to figure out their personal way to make them, even if it means sacrificing a good form.

That's just my opinion and I'm sure you'll disagree with me. But that's fine.

I agree with Kstat on that Ben has one of the best FT shooting forms. Dale Davis for that matter had good FT form and could notmake them.
    User Thingfish said -

"Great season guys, it's a progression. 10-11 - first round vs Bulls, 11-12 - 2nd round vs Heat, 12-13 - ECF vs Heat, 13-14 - Finals "

But why? Bender supposedly has disproportionately small hands for his size and he makes them.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I've told the stories before about my two youngens playing CYO ball this year and their only points scored (for either of them) came in the last game of the season...Geezerette 2-2...Geezer Jr 1-2. I still LUV Geezerttes comment following the game. " Well dad that's why you practice them and besides, there's nobody gaurding you."

IMO Shaq should be horsewhipped for his PRIDEFULLNESS in refusing to learn a different way. Rick Barry offered to teach him the underhanded free-throw and Shaq refused His comment was to the effect that the guys would laugh him off the floor. That told me where his priorities lay. Why not an underhand shot of it helps you win, or a hook shot, or whatever other legal shot as long as it helps you win? Would he refuse to take instruction on the sky-hook from Kareem? (well yeah maybe)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

Ben has one of the best FT shooting forms you will see out of a big man, yet he STILL cant make them.
    You know, that was one of the things that stuck out in my mind when I was watching the Finals. Ben's FT shooting form is much, much better than Shaq's, it's hard to believe he makes such a poor percentage of them.

And geezer, I actually don't want Shaq to learn how to make a Kareem-style skyhook, let him do things the hard way...
    (just imagine if Yao had the sky hook shot down like Kareem - man, would he be tough to stop!)
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

Simply put, there is no excuse.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just think the thresshold is 70%. No big man has ever shot 80% for thier career so 75% is too high.

For the record, I always thought Dale's FT form was horrible. But so is Reggie's.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I just think the thresshold is 70%. No big man has ever shot 80% for thier career so 75% is too high.
    Didn't Rik shoot 85% for several years?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I bet it's psychological at this point. He sucked at them for so long, even with good form it's hard to do it. That can seriously effect you in anything you do.

Didn't Rik shoot 85% for several years?
    I know Brad Miller was about 80% while he was here.

Shaq is bad for three reasons.

1) he had a wrist injury early in life and he does not get a good flick on the ball or follow through

2) he has huge hands

3) he has had so many coaches and has tried a different form every year, and that has gotten into his head.

One other point I want to make........someone said that for the money these guys make they all should shoot over 75%. I don't see the connection. Someone can pay me 10 million dollars and that won't make me a good basketball player, no matter how hard I work.

I think you're right about 70%. It was too late for me to change the poll though so it stays.

I didn't mean to be so down on Ben as his form is consistent and he doesn't just brick his shots. They go a little left or right or long; he's usually very close.

For the record, I always thought Dale's FT form was horrible. But so is Reggie's.
    I think its pretty safe to assume that Yao will be a career %80 FT shooter at lease.

I'm not so sure that good free throw shooting has a direct relation to winning NBA championships though. I know as fans its our pet peeve I think its because its one area of basketball that you can do well at regardless of skill level so when we see professionals struggle its hard to comprehend. Its kind of like bunting in baseball. Barry Bonds probably couldn't bunt to save his life but half the kids in little league can do it. I'm pretty sure that there at 14 year olds out there who can shoot 85% and most of us who played pick up b-ball growing up could probably knock down 70%++ However some of the most successful players in the history of basketball were poor free throw shooters.

Bill Russell--56%
    Wilt--------51%
    Bill Walton--66%
    Shaq-------53%
    Duncan-----69%

I think its more important to be a good clutch free throw shooter; I know many times a guy that shoots 85% steps up in crunch time and chokes and misses a pair. Shaq although a poor free throw shooter has made most of his clutch free throws in final possession situations especially in the playoffs. Dennis Rodman was a poor free throw shooter but I can remember many times him stepping to the line and sinking clutch free throws during the Bulls run. I never watched Russell but I'm guessing he had to be pretty good in the clutch as well to win all those championships. Duncan isn't much from the line but he also usually makes the ones that count.

Nerd.
    Mood

I don't care who the player is, what size his hands are, etc. but there is NO EXCUSE to be a <75% free throw shooter.

If I can shoot at least 75% from the line, then all of those that get paid to play the damn game should be able to do the same.

NO EXCUSE!

I went out the other day and shot 100 free throws. Guess how many I hit.

I don't care who the player is, what size his hands are, etc. but there is NO EXCUSE to be a <75% free throw shooter.

If I can shoot at least 75% from the line, then all of those that get paid to play the damn game should be able to do the same.

NO EXCUSE!

I went out the other day and shot 100 free throws. Guess how many I hit.

That is nice...BUT

Like UB said, how much money NBA players make has nothing to do with how they shoot free throws. That is just one part of the game.

What about the other skills/abilities?

Can you Post up a 7 footer?
    Can you shoot over a 7 footer?
    Can you Throw it down in traffic?
    Can you keep the Big boys off the glass?
    etc, etc, etc...

Your not going to get a 10 Million Dollar contract just because you can shoot free throws and you won't be denied one simply because you can't shoot 75%.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Why not? If I'm paid gajillion $ to play then I'd best be putting every ounce of energy into improving. If my weakness is FT shooting I Damn well better be focusing my offseason on FTs NOT on adding a fadeaway to my repetoire. If a player can hit 3 more ft's/ game he could raise his ppg ave. from say 15 to 18. How hard is it for a player to raise his scoring average??? IMO FT improvement would be the easiest place for him to find a quick fix. How much higher would Reggies scoring average have been this year if he was getting to the line as frequently as he did in his younger days???
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..