Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daniels and Rush Make Dunleavy Expendable

Default Daniels and Rush Make Dunleavy Expendable

the way daniels is playing and with rush coming along nicely, i think it might be time to consider trading dun dun and an expiring for a quality pf

Default Re: Daniels and Rush Make Dunleavy Expendable

negative. As good as daniels is playing he still is a SHOOTING guard that cannot shoot. I am a huge fan of his but as long as he cannot make a 3 pointer he does not spread the floor and allow granger to drive to the basket or our big men to 1 on 1 in the post.

Eventually rush will help but I would rather see dun or him be our High energy 6th man then trade our best overall player for junk.

Ew..

You understand we would have probably won every single one of our games this season with Dun in the lineup healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ew..

You understand we would have probably won every single one of our games this season with Dun in the lineup healthy?
    Absolutely no way to prove that, one way or the other.

No way. He is our best (or second best) player, just because guys of the same position are playing well doesn't mean he's expendable, it just means the Pacer's future is getting brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by mrknowname View Post
    the way daniels is playing and with rush coming along nicely, i think it might be time to consider trading dun dun and an expiring for a quality pf
    Not in this lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Perhaps not, but having seen a health Quis play and knowing Brandon Rush still needs time to develop and knowing what we have seen of Dunleavy's abilities, I think it's absolutely foolhearty to think Dunleavy is expendable and that either Quis or BRush are his replacements.

And I do think it's quite possible the Pacers could have been 3-1 right now vice being 1-3 had Dunleavy been an active player. He spreads the floor in ways Quis does not and clearly in ways BRush has yet to learn how.

It's true the Pacers could use a back-to-the basket post-up PF, but I wouldn't sacrafic Dunleavy to get such a player. Baston, Graham, certainly Tinsley and maybe Nasha or even Josh McRoberts, but NOT Dunleavy. That would be beyond foolish!!!
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 11-08-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Why start a thread if you aren't gonna support your title with some sort of evidence or analysis? You couldn't have just said this in a game thread or something?
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would trade Quis before Dun. Dun is more consistent and a much better shooter.

And then there's always the fear of contract-year production...

JayRedd is wrong.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Banned

I would definitely make Dunleavy expendable if it brought us back a promising power forward. An Andrea Bargnani for example. We're good enough at SG with Quis and Rush to make it worth the risk.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I agree.

But I do think you can see that if Dun plays you lose the defense of Quis and Rush, both of whom have been significantly better than what Dun brought on defense last year (or career).

It would be different, but better is questionable. And that supports the point of the thread. IF you think Quis keeps up this game and that Rush is only going to get better and Danny is your all-star SF (#2 in the NBA scorers do make all-star teams), then just where does Dun fit in.

Gnome, Hicks and I just discussed this and I think we all agree that if he could be that Detlef caliber 6th man, ie big offensive contribution off the bench, all-purpose offensive player/facilitator, that he does have a solid role on the team.

I think he fits that role better than Quis does, and I prefer the stronger defense at SG from Quis/Rush.

If you aren't using him in that manner then he is "extra", and this team still needs help. You could use Quis instead, but you have SG speed issues and the defense. Dun has value and would be tradeable for something decent.

Not trying to toss him under the bus, just trying to be practical in terms of building a well-rounded roster. I can 100% get behind him as the strong 6th man if he can get behind it.

Dunleavy is expendable and that either Quis or BRush are his replacements.
    Danny Granger is his replacement. Quis and Rush play a different position. That's the bottom line on this. He was already being forced into an unnatural position, one in which he is too slow to defend. The team needed SG help so it made sense then, but that's off the table now.

I see this as identical to someone saying "Ford and Jack make Quis expendable as a PG", if you had some all-star at SG and were mainly using Quis to cover you at PG makeshift style.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-08-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would agree if Granger's strength was 3-pt shooting. But, since we rely on him to drive to the hoop, no. He's obviously a good shooter, but that's not his forte.

That, and Rush is obviously still an unpolished rookie. Maybe in his second year, or third depending on how he developes.

But, for now, we're clearly (on paper anyways) better off keeping Dunleavy and trading Quis. Though, I'm a Daniels fan and I'm glad he's finally playing well here so it would upset me some to see him go.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I disagree. I believe we'd be 3-1 and perhaps 4-0 with a healthy Dunleavy in the lineup.

If he gets healthy with Daniels contributing like he is, and Rush continuing to get minutes off the bench as well, we're a playoff team

Look at our first 4 opponents, and I felt we should've won every game.

The only thing sloing my optimism is I think Dunleavy's injury is a lot worse then we thought

Pacers might have won all of their games with Dunleavy, but they might also have won all of their games with a power forward of roughly equal talent as well.

Just saying :P. I like Dunleavy though and hope next year he becomes a great 6th man for us.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tinsley for a PF FTW!

It could happen.

Naptown Seth,

I made a similar assessment over on RATS of how to best use Dunleavy when he returns assuming you still have a health Quis - that he (Dunleavy) should become this Pacers' 6th Man.

Right now, the 2nd Unit doesn't have that one player who can come in and be a scoring threat off the bench. Quis is doing well, but unless he can start draining the long ball he just doesn't spread the floor the way Dunleavy can. Besides, Dunleavy can also post-up his man from SF, if used there.

Quis is very much the slasher and that's the problem with pairing him with players like Jack, Hibbert and BRush. There's no outside thread to spread the floor. If BRush and/or Jack were draining 3's this would be a totally different issue. If Hibbert were dominating in the paint, this would be a totally different issue. And note, I'm not belittling any of them. BRush and Hibbert still have some developing to do. Still, I like what I've seen of both so far. Jack has learned this one aspect about his game which is good: if his long-ball isn't falling, he'll start driving to the basket where he's seen some success. But until this team can find someone among the reserves who can score the ball from downtown, Dunleavy will have a place on the roster and the other bench warmers days will be numbered because we know what Dunleavy can do in JOB's system. We don't know what the others can do, i.e., McRoberts, Baston, Nester and Graham...not really. We've seen glimpses, but nothing to tell us any one of them is good enough to be this team's 6th Man or a dominate post threat.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 11-08-2008 at 06:12 PM.

what legit power forward would you suggest us going after then?

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    That, my friend, is the million dollar question.

Sports Logo

Until Marquis can play for 70+ games and I no longer read posts here on PD that BRush doesn't look lost out there, Dunleavy won't be expendable.....but until then...which probably can't be decided until 2009-2010 season.

This doesn't mean that Marquis isn't doing well or that I don't like his game.....nor does it mean that I think that BRush won't be starting by next season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    I would definitely make Dunleavy expendable if it brought us back a promising power forward. An Andrea Bargnani for example. We're good enough at SG with Quis and Rush to make it worth the risk.
    Pacers dont want Bragnani, hes too soft
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sean May
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

zach randolph makes the most sense. i know he's not a popular guy around here due to some "character" flaws or whatever, but he really is what this team could use. he's a 20/10 guy and could get us some much needed points in the paint

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    I would definitely make Dunleavy expendable if it brought us back a promising power forward.
    Hmm. I'm not agreeing, but I'm nodding along thoughtfully.

An Andrea Bargnani for example.
    Oh shoot me now.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Bargnani has had a strong start to the season. Just four games, but he's looking better than ever. Looks like last season may have been nothing more than a sophomore slump.

It's a shame Sean May has been so injury riddled thus far. He's actually a very productive big man. If he can get and stay healthy, I think he's gonna have a nice career.