Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INDYSTAR- McGrady not likely headed to Pacers

Default INDYSTAR- McGrady not likely headed to Pacers

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/156291-9562-179.html

[size=18:bea7c267d6]McGrady not likely headed to Pacers[/size]
    Houston appears to be the front-runner to acquire the Magic star before NBA draft.

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    June 20, 2004

A trade involving Orlando guard Tracy McGrady appears imminent, but the Indiana Pacers don't appear to be his likeliest destination.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Saturday he has not talked with Magic general manager John Weisbrod since early last week, and that no formal offer has been made.

"If there's going to be interest in doing a deal with us, he's going to get back to me," Walsh said of Weisbrod. "He hasn't done that. I don't know where it stands."

McGrady, according to newspaper reports out of Orlando, told Magic owner Rich DeVos on Friday he wants to be traded. Weisbrod said he has been in constant communication with McGrady's agent, Arn Tellem, and indicated he expects to have a deal -- at least orally -- before Thursday's NBA draft.

Orlando, which finished with a league-worst 21-61 record last season, has the No. 1 pick.

McGrady has stated various preferences in recent weeks, but the current consensus within the league is that he's most likely to go to Houston.

Rockets point guard Steve Francis and coach Jeff Van Gundy were at odds last season, and McGrady has stated a desire to play with Houston's Yao Ming.

Any trade involving Francis would likely be made after July 1, when he loses his base-year compensation status that reduces his trade value to half of his $12.3 million salary for next season. The Magic and Rockets, however, could agree on a deal before then.

McGrady also has expressed a desire to play for San Antonio and the Los Angeles Lakers, and mentioned interest in the Pacers and Detroit when those two teams met in the Eastern Conference finals. Saturday, he told a Florida Today reporter he and Shaquille O'Neal are attempting to work trades that would unite them in Dallas.

"The kid's been all over the board emotionally," Weisbrod told Orlando reporters Saturday. "He's a little inconsistent but that's pretty understandable. Arn's job is to sort of stay close to him and make sure he's representing however (McGrady) feels that day."

McGrady has some control over his future because he can opt out of his contract after next season. The Magic want to trade him now so they don't risk losing him without getting anything in return, as happened with O'Neal in 1996. If the Magic offer a trade that doesn't appeal to him, he could opt out after next season and become a free agent. Any team that trades for him will want assurances that he will re-sign next year.

Tellem also represents the Pacers' Jermaine O'Neal and Reggie Miller.

Various trade packages between the Pacers and Magic have been rumored, although most of them could not be done within NBA rules that require all traded players' salaries to match within 15 percent plus $100,000.

McGrady will be paid $14.5 million next season. The Pacers mentioned most prominently in rumors are Al Harrington ($6.3 million), Jonathan Bender ($6.5 million) and Ron Artest ($6.2 million). Jeff Foster ($4.5 million) and Jamaal Tinsley ($1.5 million) also have been mentioned.

Walsh, however, moved to downplay the rumors.

"[color=darkred:bea7c267d6]It isn't the players mentioned in these accounts," he said. "That's not the correct group of players."[/color]

Harrington appears to be the most likely Pacer to be included in a trade because of his desire for more playing time and a greater role in the offense. He said Saturday he has heard nothing about the possibility of being traded to Orlando, and has in fact cooled on the desire to be traded that he expressed to team president Larry Bird after the Pacers lost to Detroit in the conference finals.

Default Re: INDYSTAR- McGrady not likely headed to Pacers

"[color=darkred:a31e2859a7]It isn't the players mentioned in these accounts," he said. "That's not the correct group of players."[/color]
    It's not? Then it's no wonder Orlando's not getting back to us. Who did we offer, Freddy Jones and Scot Pollard?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this is a another Donnie Walsh trick up his sleave. He's trying to make it seem that Orlando's offer was too high (Which it was), and is trying to drive down the value.

For Orlando it's pretty much down to if they want Steve Francis, Shawn Marion, or some variation of Al Harrington, Ron Artest, and Jonathan Bender.

All Dallas has are huge contracts, and San Antonio doesn't have enough pieces, and I don't think Detroit is willing enough to break up a good part of their team.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

All Dallas has are huge contracts, and San Antonio doesn't have enough pieces, and I don't think Detroit is willing enough to break up a good part of their team.
    Portland could probably make a move. I can't see how the Suns are even in the picture.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

"[color=darkred:3db9bd021b]It isn't the players mentioned in these accounts," he said. "That's not the correct group of players."[/color]
    It's not? Then it's no wonder Orlando's not getting back to us. Who did we offer, Freddy Jones and Scot Pollard?
    I think we offered Artest and Croshere. Walsh mentioned 'two players' as being offered for TMac. That would be a different group. Also remember that in offering two players the players have to meet cap requirements. Artest and Bender, and Al and Bender, don't meet cap requirements. Al and Artest was mentioned as one of the groups that was wrong.

He also said in today's star that Orlando hadn't gotten back to them. I think Orlando knows they can get Artest plus change from Indiana, so they are looking to find someone better than Artest before getting back to Indiana.

I think we offered Artest and Croshere. Walsh mentioned 'two players' as being offered for TMac. That would be a different group. Also remember that in offering two players the players have to meet cap requirements. Artest and Bender, and Al and Bender, don't meet cap requirements. Al and Artest was mentioned as one of the groups that was wrong.
    Artest and Croshere isn't going to do it. There's no way we can pull this trade off without including two of our three SFs.

Besides, we need Croshere to send to Boston!

Enjoy your time at PD!

Artest and Croshere isn't going to do it. There's no way we can pull this trade off without including two of our three SFs.

Besides, we need Croshere to send to Boston!
    Send to Boston for who? Blount in a sign and trade? Cro makes to much money. It would have to be Blout and someone else. Who do you have in mind?

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am glad I never really subscribed to all these Tmac to Indiana rumors , I mean I looked at it objectively and honestly and the reality was too grim to get any of my hopes up. Seems like Donnie is looking for a Dream Deal and the Magic don't share that Dream , they Want to maximize what they get for Tmac.

Honestly only we know what kinda qaulity players we are offering , fans outside of Indiana probably don't know much about what we are offering , the same could be said for the fans of the other teams , so we all think our deals are sweeter than maybe what the Magic people think they are.

I still don't think we need Tmac to win a Championship and afterall we almost got to the finals with the current team we have, I am not too excited to bust up a team that won us the best record in the league and got us to the ECF. I just think we need to add some smaller pieces to the puzzle , I think Donnie and Larry know what those pieces maybe and Offering up a Deal for Tmac was just standard and any team who thinks they have a shot will try to offer a deal , you just do not try to get a player like Tmac.

There is plenty of Options left to get some quality and I think Donnie and Larry will work there best they can , they Don't want to just get careless and not get a worthy trade value. If we only get a SG and change nothing else I will be happy with our chances this next year to make a title run , of course anything beyond a SG would be icing on the cake so to speak.

This sucks if this is true but thursday we should have an answer.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am glad I never really subscribed to all these Tmac to Indiana rumors , I mean I looked at it objectively and honestly and the reality was too grim to get any of my hopes up. Seems like Donnie is looking for a Dream Deal and the Magic don't share that Dream , they Want to maximize what they get for Tmac.

Honestly only we know what kinda qaulity players we are offering , fans outside of Indiana probably don't know much about what we are offering , the same could be said for the fans of the other teams , so we all think our deals are sweeter than maybe what the Magic people think they are.

I still don't think we need Tmac to win a Championship and afterall we almost got to the finals with the current team we have, I am not too excited to bust up a team that won us the best record in the league and got us to the ECF. I just think we need to add some smaller pieces to the puzzle , I think Donnie and Larry know what those pieces maybe and Offering up a Deal for Tmac was just standard and any team who thinks they have a shot will try to offer a deal , you just do not try to get a player like Tmac.

There is plenty of Options left to get some quality and I think Donnie and Larry will work there best they can , they Don't want to just get careless and not get a worthy trade value. If we only get a SG and change nothing else I will be happy with our chances this next year to make a title run , of course anything beyond a SG would be icing on the cake so to speak.
    I'll have to agree with you Sauce on the fact that getting T-mac is/was a long shot because in the beginning I was thinking that Orlando would want to try to get some "Star Power" back in the deal. Star Power is the thing that gets the casual fans thru the door. At least with Steve Francis, Orlando gets a star the fans recognize and that softens the blow of losing the only draw for a team that is going to be bad for a couple of years. Al and Bender do not have the name recognition among the fans and could hurt in the fans eyes. That is why I would be truly suprised if we are really even being considered by Orlando if Houston is willing to give up Star Power.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I still think that it's been a smokescreen for other things LBDW may wanna force. Or perhaps the screen was put out there by Orlando in the 1st place. But DW will not take on a 2nd contract that large. He MIGHT let someone grow into it (ala JO) but not trade for it. They get too expensive too soon.
    I eally like the Blount idea or a 3pt outside big guy like McCarty...or really big beef like Seattle has (but unproven, just Donnies style). But McGraady was always unrealistic IMO.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Honestly only we know what kinda quality players we are offering, fans outside of Indiana probably don't know much about what we are offering , the same could be said for the fans of the other teams , so we all think our deals are sweeter than maybe what the Magic people think they are.

I still don't think we need Tmac to win a Championship and after all we almost got to the finals with the current team we have, I am not too excited to bust up a team that won us the best record in the league and got us to the ECF. I just think we need to add some smaller pieces to the puzzle , I think Donnie and Larry know what those pieces maybe and Offering up a Deal for Tmac was just standard and any team who thinks they have a shot will try to offer a deal , you just do not try to get a player like Tmac.

Wait a minute. How can you say you never really believed the Internet rumors and then in the same paragraph say you think Donnie was looking for a dream deal? The way the paragraph is written it makes it appear you did put some stock in Internet rumors.

Then in the next paragraph you say, "Honestly only we know what kinda quality players we are offering . . . " How can we know what kind of players we are offering if we don't believe the Internet rumors? We don't know what players have been offered or even that there has been any offers. (unless we believe Internet rumors)

As for Donnie looking for a dream deal, Donnie is to experienced to be out looking for a dream deal. Even JO for Dale Davis wasn't a dream deal. It may seem that way now, but at the time Dale was an all star.

I agree with your reasonings that we don't need TMac. I think it's going to be a long off season filled with rumors. And I think you are believing some of them despite yourself.

A couple things stood out in that article.

1. If there's going to be interest in doing a deal with us, he's going to get back to me," Walsh said of Weisbrod.

Why would he get back to Walsh when Bird is in charge of the day to day operation of the Pacers.

2. Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Saturday he has not talked with Magic general manager John Weisbrod since early last week, and that no formal offer has been made.

Weisbrod said he has been in constant communication with McGrady's agent, Arn Tellem

The above two are both true & connected.

Walsh has not spoken to Weisbrod - true, & here is why.

Weisbrod is letting Tellem to the leg work. That is why Wesibrofd is in "constant" communication with Tellem. He is letting the Tellem - McGrady team work out the details before a "formal" offer is made.

That's where the first statement comes back into play.

If there's going to be interest in doing a deal with us, he's going to get back to me,"

If Tellem - McGrady are the ones "interested" in doing the deal, Weisnrod will get back with him at that time.

Walsh is telling the absolute truth but he is not being totally honest.

My view is that Walsh - Bird are keeping in touch with Tellem & Tellem is relaying that info back to Weisbrod.

The Pacers are very much still active in the process to get McGrady.

1. If there's going to be interest in doing a deal with us, he's going to get back to me," Walsh said of Weisbrod.

Why would he get back to Walsh when Bird is in charge of the day to day operation of the Pacers.

2. Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Saturday he has not talked with Magic general manager John Weisbrod since early last week, and that no formal offer has been made.

Weisbrod said he has been in constant communication with McGrady's agent, Arn Tellem

The above two are both true & connected.

Walsh has not spoken to Weisbrod - true, & here is why.

Weisbrod is letting Tellem to the leg work. That is why Wesibrofd is in "constant" communication with Tellem. He is letting the Tellem - McGrady team work out the details before a "formal" offer is made.

Walsh is telling the absolute truth but he is not being totally honest.

My view is that Walsh - Bird are keeping in touch with Tellem & Tellem is relaying that info back to Weisbrod.

The Pacers are very much still active in the process to get McGrady.
    I hope your right.

It makes perfect since though.

DW is not really lying but just not telling the whole truth as already pointed out.

I don't think DW would just sit around and wait on JW to contact him about a player like TMac because DW is smart enough to jump on a player like TMac when the oppurtionty is here.

Now I don't feel like throwing up.

I figure this question was mostly directed at me, because I'm the one that has made a big deal out of who's in charge. My answer, Walsh said "me," because Walsh was the one that called him. Plus, Walsh is used to being in charge so he could have said "me" out of habit.

Think about this. Walsh called the Magic but he didn't talk to Weisbrod, he talked to someone else. This is the busiest time of the year for NBA executives so where was Weisbrod? Taking a nap? No he was probably talking to one of the other teams on the phone and couldn't talk to Walsh.

Being there are 30 teams the guy that makes the decisions isn't the only one that's going to be working the phones. Bird no doubt is working the phones too. Plus we don't know when the phone call was made. Bird could have been watching a college player work out for all we know.

I agree with Bulletproof that Donnie and Bird work closely, so when you see something in the news I wouldn't put too much stock in how something is expressed.

I agree with your reading between the lines on what is going on though. It makes sense.

PacersFan

What really stood out to me after the stuff about the trade for McGrady was the last paragraph
    Harrington appears to be the most likely Pacer to be included in a trade because of his desire for more playing time and a greater role in the offense. He said Saturday he has heard nothing about the possibility of being traded to Orlando, and has in fact cooled on the desire to be traded that he expressed to team president Larry Bird after the Pacers lost to Detroit in the conference finals.
    I think he actually has heard about these rumors and finally has figured out that it's actually better to be coming off the bench for a Championship contender then starting for the worst team in the NBA.
    I don't know if Walsh did it intentionally or not, but by helping spread the rumor about a trade to Orlando, it might actually help us keep the 2nd best 6th man in the NBA.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Donnie said he wasn't going to fire Isiah............ and he didn't, Bird did. No matter what Donnie says, we won't know anything for sure till the papers are signed.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The eagle flies at midnight.
    The bear sh*ts in the woods at dawn.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Thrice under the Jade Moon doth the monkey dance.

it's all hear say...For all we know some team out the blue like the knicks (God forbid) could snatch Tmac. LOL
    No one really knowes what's going on but if say, we all think oh he's headed to houston...but when in fact tmac and shaq are tying to get to dallas...then wtf is this houston crap coming from? I don't think anyone really knowes anything...wouldn't it be just a total shock if on draft day you hear..."The orlando magic...have traded Tracy Mcgrady to Indiana for____" Maybe JO And Reggie are keeping in touch with tellem there agent as opposed to tmac to see if he's going to come. Maybe JO has talked to Tmac and Tellem? who really knowes...so

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Saturday he has not talked with Magic general manager John Weisbrod since early last week, and that no formal offer has been made.

"If there's going to be interest in doing a deal with us, he's going to get back to me," Walsh said of Weisbrod. "He hasn't done that. I don't know where it stands."

SAME OLD AGGRESSIVE DONNIE
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

yeah but if he's going to get back with you it's going to go down. You have to get both parties and explore all options first. For all we know he hasn't gotten back to the rockets either. We are all just cooling our heals here till we find out what's really going on.

Chambizzle

Maybe if the rockets do trade for McGrady maybe we can work a 3 way with ORL and Houston to pull Mobley out :P

Mood

do a 3 way, pull out :P
    Hidden message...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

gorss!!!!!^^^^^lol