Thread: JOB: "I'm completely dumbfounded" over free throw disparity from Cleveland loss

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default JOB: "I'm completely dumbfounded" over free throw disparity from Cleveland loss

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv..._differential/

Pacers' head coach Jim O'Brien was upset over the free throw differential his team suffered from against the Cavaliers on Friday night.

Indiana shot just 11 free throws, compared to 28 for Cleveland.

"The 17 free throw differential was the difference in the game," O'Brien said. "We only shot 11 foul shots, and they shot 28. A very physical game with a team that takes it to the rack as much as we do and to only get to the foul line 11 times, that's puzzling to me."

A reporter pointed out that the Pacers also had 24 turnovers, but O'Brien remained focused on the free throws.

"The fact that they had 28 free throws and we had 11, I just shake my head at that one," he responded, obviously not thinking about his team's 24 turnovers. "I'm just going to continue to scratch my head over that one.

"It's not my job to grade the officials," O'Brien added. "They get graded by their people. To run a moving offense where there's as much cutting, as much driving as we do to only get 11 foul shots and they have 28 is just unbelievable. I can't fathom that happening in a game where we take it as hard as we do and cut as hard as we do. I'm completely dumbfounded."

Default Re: JOB: "I'm completely dumbfounded" over free throw disparity from Cleveland loss

"So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Banned

Default Re: JOB: "I'm completely dumbfounded" over free throw disparity from Cleveland loss

Nah, the NBA can't be rigged!

I think Obie is less concerned with TOs because that's something he can work on with his team. There's nothing that the Pacers really could have done different in terms of FTs.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Obie is less concerned with TOs because that's something he can work on with his team. There's nothing that the Pacers really could have done different in terms of FTs.
    This is probably right.

This is nothing new. Hell, certain players getting superstar treatment is exactly how the Heat won an NBA championship a few years ago.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

My only issue with the fouls is that the non-calls often allowed Cleveland to hold or shove guys as part of their "defense". If you can just slam a guy's dribbling forearm it's pretty easy to get some steals.

It wasn't all that but CLE was able to be extremely aggressive and physical and not get called for some contact. And I'm talking off the ball more than going to the rim.

It's not the lost FTAs, it's the unfair advantage it gave their defense.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

last night was pretty brutal in terms of the refs swallowing their whistle when the Pacers drove to the rim

Mood

I was wondering the same thing every time I saw Danny driving and getting called for the travel. There seemed to be a lot of off the ball holding and grabbing that was allowed for the home team.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah, the NBA can't be rigged!
    I thought that you stormed off of P. Digest never to return.
    Moth to a flame, I guess...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

cleary they see the pacers as a sleeper team this year and cant let the TOP money teams lose to the pacers