Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh well

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Oh well

Guess I should have known better than to think a superstar would actually want to come to Indiana. Even as a serious championship contender we get snubbed. ed:

Anyway, we still need to acquire a good 2 guard. I know there's been some talk of Paul Pierce, but what would it take to pry him from Ainge? Knowing our luck, after all the horrid trades DA has made, he'll likely overvalue Pierce. ed:

I would also love to acquire Ray Allen, but that would probably require a 3-way, as Seattle is already loaded at the 3.

Any ideas?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Oh well

Ainge would probably ask Harrington, Foster and Freddie Jones for Pierce.

Other than that, I dont see any deals either team would do.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Seattle does not want Ray to leave, and Ray doesn't want to leave. So I don't think that we can get him.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Seattle does not want Ray to leave, and Ray doesn't want to leave. So I don't think that we can get him.
    Seattle will want Ray Allen to leave if you offer up harrington and Bender. I know its overpaying, but you could easily sway Seattle with a couple good big men.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Guess I should have known better than to think a superstar would actually want to come to Indiana. Even as a serious championship contender we get snubbed. ed:
    Well, you know that Indiana is almost like cryptonite to high profile F.A.'s or superstars that have the ability to dictate where they go via trade. Who is the last major name that came to either the Pacers, or the Colts for that matter as a free agent? Chad Bratzke is the only name that comes to mind and he was a tier 2 guy at best in the NFL.

What does Indianapolis need to improve it's image? I can't imagine Milwaukee, Minneapolis, or Memphis being more exciting, but I never hear those places being "boring" as Dwayne Wade so stated.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Way to early to get discouraged , the season starts in what 5 months , plenty of time for deals to be made and expecting a deal so early is very unrealistic , especially when your talking about the pacers.

If you a impatient person the offseason is gonna kill you this year

Indy totally struck me as a very quiet city when I was there. A nice place to wander around, but nothing extremely exciting. And outside the city its like 200 miles to civilization.

Also, I can totally see a lot of african american players not really loving the city life. No soul food, as chris webber would say. I didnt notice any high-profile hip hop clubs either. I dont blame indy, their population is like %98 white. But I can also understand where an african-american may not feel comfortable.

Reggie Miller seems like an exception to me, because he was always more about safety and comfort than style, which Indianapolis can offer in abundance.

I dont blame indy, their population is like %98 white.
    More like:

60% white
    20% hispanic
    17% black
    3% "other"

I dont blame indy, their population is like %98 white. But I can also understand where an african-american may not feel comfortable
    More like:

60% white
    20% hispanic
    17% black
    3% "other"
    I'd love to see the exact numbers. If Indy is only %40 white, they must have all their minorities locked in cages or soemthing. There were more black people on the court in Conseco than there were in the stands, I know, I counted.

I dont blame indy, their population is like %98 white. But I can also understand where an african-american may not feel comfortable
    More like:

60% white
    20% hispanic
    17% black
    3% "other"
    I'd love to see the exact numbers. If Indy is only %40 white, they must have all their minorities locked in cages or soemthing. There were more black people on the court in Conseco than there were in the stands, I know, I counted.
    Where are you getting 40%?

More like:

60% white
    20% hispanic
    17% black
    3% "other"
    No, there were a few more in the stands. But most of them were from Detroit

More like:

60% white
    20% hispanic
    17% black
    3% "other"
    No, there were a few more in the stands. But most of them were from Detroit
    Yeah, there were 3 black people in the building, and 2 of them were wearing piston jerseys. One sat next to me and told me he grew up in Indy but wanted to move to detroit. He felt uncomfortable in Indianapolis because it wasnt as ethnic as he would like.

Not slighting Indy, just repeating what a guy told me. Frankly I like Indy's atmosphere over downtown detroit. It needs a few clubs and some soul food though.

I dont blame indy, their population is like %98 white.
    More like:

60% white
    20% hispanic
    17% black
    3% "other"

Actually, of there is .00000001% Suave.

Me
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I've heard Al and Bender.

I've heard Al and Bender.
    I would do that -- but only if we're out of the running for T-Mac.

Then sign Bowen and Fisher.

C - Foster/Pollard/Brezec
    PF - JO/Cro
    SF - Artest/Bowen/JJones
    SG - Pierce/Reg/Freddie
    PG - Tins/Fisher/AJ/Siggy

^ I like it.

But i'd rather not think about what to do if we don't get McGrady.

Artestaholic

Here is an ethnicity report for both Detroit & Indy from 2000. Note this is only the city statistics, the metro suburbs weren't included.

Detroit
    Pop. 951,270
    White 10.5%
    Black 81.15%
    Asian .96%
    Hispanic 4.96%
    Other 2.43%

Indy
    Pop. 781,870
    White 67.49
    Black 25.36
    Asian 1.41
    Hispanic 3.92
    Other 1.82

So it's not that Indy's really that white, it's just Detroit is so damn black.
    As for the club thing, idk. I'd imagine Detroit has more because it's larger and also more hip-hop clubs because of more blacks. But sports clearly favors Indy. Pound for pound you'll be hard press to find a better sports city than Indy. Pacers, Colts, Indy 500, Brickyard 400, US Grand Prix, arena football, WNBA, NCAA FInal 4, tons of amatuer sports (NCAA stuff & Olympic stuff), Indianapolis Motor Speedway mueseum, NCAA Hall of Champions, Conseco Fieldhouse (pretty much a museum/arena)

So it's not that Indy's really that white, it's just Detroit is so damn black.
    As for the club thing, idk. I'd imagine Detroit has more because it's larger and also more hip-hop clubs because of more blacks. But sports clearly favors Indy. Pound for pound you'll be hard press to find a better sports city than Indy. Pacers, Colts, Indy 500, Brickyard 400, US Grand Prix, arena football, WNBA, NCAA FInal 4, tons of amatuer sports (NCAA stuff & Olympic stuff), Indianapolis Motor Speedway mueseum, NCAA Hall of Champions, Conseco Fieldhouse (pretty much a museum/arena)
    Ok, I wasnt comparing Indy to Detroit, but as sports goes, I have to disagree.

Aside from auto racing what exactly is so impressive? WNBA? Arena football? minor league hockey? These are hardly unique attributes.

Indianapolis has no NHL or MLB teams. Thats huge. At least have THREE major sports teams if youre going to put indy ina class by itself.

You also decline to mention that Indy has an NFL team of superstars that they cant sell any tickets for. Detroit, meanwhile sells out every game for a football team thats won ONE playoff game in like 45 years.

The Pacer win 61 games, yet cant sell out playoff games? Come on.

-Detroit has the superbowl in 2006.

-Detroit will have the NCAA final 4 too, along with such sports meccas like St Petersburg Basically if you have a big enough arena and you want it badly enough, anyone can get a final 4.

-Detroit has the MLB allstar game next year.

-The Pistons lead the NBA in attendanca

-The Shock led the WNBA in attendance

- The Wings led the NHL in attendance.

-The Lions we top-10 in attendance despite sucking.

If you're a racing fan or basketball historian, I'm sure you'd love indianapolis. But if you like baseball or hockey, you're out of luck. Detroit as a sports city is far more well-rounded, and they get bigger crowds for their teams.

Not to mention Indianapolis has major issues getting people to go to the games, despite having two VERY successful franchises.

Detroit also has a lot more people than Indy.

Not to be rude but why does race matter?

Detroit also has a lot more people than Indy.
    There are at least 15 cities in the US with more people than Detroit, yet we out-attend them too. City population is overrated when bringing attendance into account. If Indy can get half a MILLION people to the brickyard, they should be able to get a measly 65,000 to see one of the best teams in the NFL, or a piddly 17,000 to see the team with the best record in the NBA.

Actually, Detroit is 10th. Then again, Indy is 12th.

I agree with you Kstat. It really is pathetic.

It doesnt except when you factor in where you want to live.

A white neighborhood isnt going to have many establishments an african american might want when looking for a home. Clubs, soul restaurants, etc.

Chris webber is a prime example, and he would have bolted sacramento had he been able to. As nice of a place as sactown is he feels very uncomfortable there.

I think Indy is a reallce nice city. But I also admit I dont know if I could live there, because I'm very used to hip-hop culture too, and Indy doesnt offer much in that reguard.

It doesnt except when you factor in where you want to live.

A white neighborhood isnt going to have many establishments an african american might want when looking for a home. Clubs, soul restaurants, etc.

Chris webber is a prime example, and he would have bolted sacramento had he been able to. As nice of a place as sactown is he feels very uncomfortable there.

I think Indy is a reallce nice city. But I also admit I dont know if I could live there, because I'm very used to hip-hop culture too, and Indy doesnt offer much in that reguard.
    Tis sad...

I'd like to mention that Matoko's japanese resturant in Indy's is a 1st-class establishment