Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd thoughts from the first game of the 08/09 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd thoughts from the first game of the 08/09 season

There was a lot to like, a lot to dissect and some things that were a little dissapointing in this game.

First and formost I will say this. The team is fun to watch, each player played at top speed and just a few differant things happening tonight and we may be talking about a differant outcome to this game.

I want to start with the Pistons. Having watched Boston play last night and now seeing the Pistons tonight I will say that it is way to early to write Detroit out of the mix, however age in the frontcourt is starting to look like it will catch up.

Give Dumars all of the credit in the world though, they have some really nice young pieces to go along with the old vets they have. I don't see Detroit not being a player again this year. I don't honestly think they have enough to overcome Boston, but I would suspect another Central devision title for them.

Now to us.

While I loved the way our guys played and never gave up there were two very troubleing things for me.

1. Roy Hibbert not getting off of the bench in the second half. This is unacceptable. Now I don't think the guy should play 30 min. a game but in the 6 min. he played he blocked a shot and altered at least 3 others. I will be majorly p!ssed if this is the playing time he is going to get this year.

2. To much Daniels. I'm sorry guys but his basketball I.Q. on defense is just not what I want out there. I don't even know how many times the guy swiped at the ball while the player on offense was shooting and gets the foul. 32 min. is just way to much time on the floor for this guy. I know with Dunleavy down we are going to be seeing more of him, but I just wish we didn't have to.

3. Foster playing 20 min. and not scoring a single point. This is also unacceptable. We were pointing out in the third how Detroit would double off of Jeff with his defender. This just can not happen. Honestly I thought he played to much and would much rather have seen Rasho in there or better yet give Hibbert 5 more min. of play.

Ok, that was the downside. Now let's look at what was good.

A. Troy Murphy. People if anther former player of ours would have have 13 points 15 rebounds and 3 blocks in a game I would have to hear how he was one of the best power forwards in the NBA. With Troy I'm sure most of you are still trying to figure out a way to package him off with Jamaal to get rid of his contract. Troy owned the boards in that game, period. They weren't the running to the sideline to pickup the ball from the floor boards, nor were they the let's tip it up from the guards to get a board board. They were in the mix, elbows in the chest grind it out kind of rebounds.

Troy is not a low post scorer nor will he ever be. However he is a very good face up shooter and a player who spreads the floor. I think we could do a lot worse at the p.f. spot.

B. Danny Granger. Shooting slump my @ss!!! I guess Danny figured he would take the pre-season off and turn it on for the regular season. That last three he hit at the end of the game was just absolutely unreal. He had to be 6-7 feet behind the corner arc when he let that fly and he hit nothing but the bottom of the net. What I loved is that he got 33 points on only 16 shots (he hit 10 of them btw). This isn't a scrub team or a joke of a defender he was playing either. This was Prince and these are the Pistons. I'm just going to go ahead and say it, Danny has arrived. How many players will give you 33 points and also block 3 shots.

Like every other Pacer he is going to have to watch the turnovers, but I am giving almost everybody a pass on that because it is a new team and not everybody is familiar with everybody yet.

C. Rasho Nesterovic. He is not a dominate center, he never will be. But what he is, is a solid pro who has no true weakness that can be exploited. His passing was even better than I thought it would be and I thought it would be excellent. To me he is the perfect player for what we need right now. He is good enough to start but isn't dominate enough to say that we shouldn't play Roy. I like the fact that our center can score, unlike our backup powerforward/center.

D. Brandon Rush. Some early jitters, no doubt. However this guy is already advanced for his age. I have zero doubt that he will be a rotational player all year long. I really like the way he was down there battling for rebounds even though he only grabbed 2. He attacks the basket very well. Once he gets his outside game going I think he is going to be a great addition to our team.

E. The Granger, Rush, Jack perimeter defense. Much like the Bermuda triangle defenders get lost in the defensive wave these three put on when they are in together. Each of them are longer than you think and Jack is quicker than you think. As time goes on I think this will be one of the lineups you see in there to either end games or make comebacks. Add in Foster and Hibbert for big men and you have a pretty good overall defensive team.

F. T.J. Ford was fast. He pushed the ball well however for whatever reason I feel somewhat dissapointed by his game. Don't get me wrong he didn't play bad and certainly it is 100% better than what we had last year. But for some reason I just was expecting more. I guess it is my fault for maybe having my hopes to high for him. Of course Billups is one of the few guards in the NBA that I think T.J. will just not be able to play against. (Darron Williams being one of the others). He is just to tall and to strong for T.J. to handle. I think I may have to come back to this game tomorrow or the next day because I feel like I am being to hard on T.J.

G. Overall team defense. The team defense was much improved in this game. You did not have the Pistons just lining up to take open shot after open shot. Players were rotating faster and overall were keeping their man in front of them at all times.

I am very happy with the way the team played. I never like to play the what if game because you have to play with the team you have. However you have to wonder if the game's outcome would have been differant with Mike in the game?

It's just a d@mn shame that the schedule is so hard to begin with, I just hope the players don't get down on themselves and pray to God the fans don't turn them off because there is a very good likelyhood that the team will start off at least 0-4 if not 0-6. If we continue to play like we played tonight we will beat plenty of teams and will not be pushovers for the top tier teams.

Overall I am happy to say this.

I hate losing but I couldn't be much happier about the way we lost.

Go Pacers Go.

Reporting from the bright glow of the sunshine this is your humble corrispondant Peck signing off.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: Odd thoughts from the first game of the 08/09 season

Originally posted by Peck View Post
    A. Troy Murphy. People if anther former player of ours would have have 13 points 15 rebounds and 3 blocks in a game I would have to hear how he was one of the best power forwards in the NBA. With Troy I'm sure most of you are still trying to figure out a way to package him off with Jamaal to get rid of his contract. Troy owned the boards in that game, period. They weren't the running to the sideline to pickup the ball from the floor boards, nor were they the let's tip it up from the guards to get a board board. They were in the mix, elbows in the chest grind it out kind of rebounds.

Troy is not a low post scorer nor will he ever be. However he is a very good face up shooter and a player who spreads the floor. I think we could do a lot worse at the p.f. spot.

I always enjoy what you say, but I strongly disagree with this. He does spread the floor and got a lot of rebounds tonight (though 2/3rds were in the first half), but that was it. He had an unbelievably bad defensive game.

He doesn't understand our team defense, and I think that's unacceptable for someone who's played as long as Troy. Detroit exploited him all night long by getting him out of position and forcing his teammates to cover. We all know about his one-on-one, so I won't even mention it.

On offense, I thought he was very responsible for clogging up our efficiency. His hesitancy with the ball allowed the Pistons to recover several times. He was unable to post up Chauncey Billups from the top of the key and didn't attempt to get position. He completely disappeared in the 4th quarter.

Anyways, I could go on and on about Troy. I'm hoping he's just slowed from his injury. Otherwise, he's a good player for your fantasy team, but not a good player for your team.

Comment

I agree with pretty much everything you say Peck, but at times I felt frustrated with Murphy offensively some of it was the position we put him in, but other times it felt like he was dribbling too much and bogging down the offense. It's a minor gripe and something that you might expect to see against a team like the PIstons, but it bothered me enough that I had to get it out there.

Rush was very good, but at times made some rookie mistakes that I think he will grow out of.

Ford left me sort of "meh" as well, but I kind of expect that against Billups I expect him to perform better against Rondo.

Comment

Originally posted by imawhat View Post
        I always enjoy what you say, but I strongly disagree with this. He does spread the floor and got a lot of rebounds tonight (though 2/3rds were in the first half), but that was it. He had an unbelievably bad defensive game.

He doesn't understand our team defense, and I think that's unacceptable for someone who's played as long as Troy. Detroit exploited him all night long by getting him out of position and forcing his teammates to cover. We all know about his one-on-one, so I won't even mention it.

On offense, I thought he was very responsible for clogging up our efficiency. His hesitancy with the ball allowed the Pistons to recover several times. He was unable to post up Chauncey Billups from the top of the key and didn't attempt to get position. He completely disappeared in the 4th quarter.

Anyways, I could go on and on about Troy. I'm hoping he's just slowed from his injury. Otherwise, he's a good player for your fantasy team, but not a good player for your team.
        While I agree on offense he hesitated way to many times tonight. There were at least three times that he held the ball on a wide open shot and caused a flub in the offense.

However I will just agree to disagree with you on defense. I did not think he was any more of a liability tonight than other people were. His lateral quickness is just not great and it never will be but I thought he did a decent job of staying with his man. I just don't remember Detroit posting him up like they have in the past.

However I agree that he could have done more offensively.

But I still stand by my point, if Jeff Foster had the game that Troy Murphy did everybody would be abslutely raving about it. If Jermaine would have had this stat line we would hear talk of how he was one of the best.

Troy has this stat line and already there are people on here downplaying his game.

2/3 in the first half still means that he grabbed 15 rebounds.

Look if you want to say that we would be better off with Al Jefferson or Kevin Garnett I won't argue. I'm just saying I think people have a hatred for Troy Murphy that frankly boggles my mind.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Comment

Look if you want to say that we would be better off with Al Jefferson or Kevin Garnett I won't argue. I'm just saying I think people have a hatred for Troy Murphy that frankly boggles my mind.
          I've already trademarked the phrase, "Austin Croshere Syndrome" where a player who is mediocre to above average is viewed negatively based solely upon his contract.

Comment

I'm just going to go ahead and say it, Danny has arrived. How many players will give you 33 points and also block 3 shots.
            Yes. He has.

Comment

Originally posted by Peck
              T.J. Ford was fast. He pushed the ball well however for whatever reason I feel somewhat dissapointed by his game.

I can't see how the Pacers scored only 3 points on fast breaks.
              And I won't be here to see the day
              It all dries up and blows away
              I'd hang around just to see
              But they never had much use for me
              In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Comment

Just to echo some of what has been said.

Very encouraging, they competed against a contender at their home opener.

A couple of observations, I think Roy makes a difference, sure he was a little nervous, but you know he ALWAYS makes a difference on the floor, sometimes good, sometimes bad. He's never invisible. I mean that in the best possible way, because it's often very positive. They tried to iso with Kwame freaking Brown and Roy blocked his shot and then altered it to the point that I don't think it caught iron on the second one. The spin baseline move was very agile for a man of his size and it was yet another weapon in the arsenal I hadn't seen yet. I think Roy will get more minutes because I don't think Obie will be able to keep him off of the court. Roy better get more time.

Murphy, yes great numbers and his rebound numbers were impressive, but (and I'm a self professed sunshiner) I have to somewhat disagree that he had many non falling in his hands rebounds. Additionally, the number of offensive rebounds for Detroit is very troublesome, I thought they were going to adjust the scheme to take care of this? It really takes the steam out of a nice defense effort to have to start all over again.

More on Murphy, he's very valuable in that he is an offensive weapon, but he does NOT look comfortable with the high offense they run. Often he would get the ball above the top of the key and with light pressure he looked panicked and couldn't wait to pass it back to a guard. Murphy has to get stronger with being on that spot on the floor with the ball within the structure of the offense. Be ready to look for those curl screens that are going on around him and not be so scared to have the ball in his hands at that place on the floor.

Sounds like I'm down on Murphy, not at all. I just think the offense you saw last night looked rough and not smooth. This is ALL things that will look crisper EVERY game from here out. Especially when Dunleavy gets back. There seemed to be many moments of confusion that I think had part to do with Detroit extended their Defense on the perimeter and more about the lack of time together as a unit for the Pacers.

Otherwise, B Rush got well deserved crunch time minutes and completely altered Rip Hamiliton's shot on 3 different occaisions in the 4th quarter.

I saw more contested jump shots last night than in 3 games from last year.

Back to the offense, new philosophy this year is to push guys baseline into a trap in the corners/wing area, I really like this, but Detroit being a smart ball club realized that the elbow area was often left open with the PF or C wide open for a 17 foot jumper. This has to be cleaned up with rotations and recognitions.

Point Guard play, I think they played okay, I think they showed they will have an advantage most nights, combined, but again, I think it's just going to take time to gel. The tools/skills are there and I'm very happy with the potential. I think we'll look back on this game and it will be in the bottom 25% of the games that TJ/JJ play over the season, productivity wise.

Foster, he's going to have to get some confidence in his offensive game and stepping to the Free Throw line and missing 2 in the 4th quarter is unacceptable for a 70% shooter and a 10 year vet. His defense is good, he needs to get back to controlling the boards, I hope this isn't a sign of a drop off of his ability and his most important strength in years past. Makes me nervous if he can't dominate the boards and they just extended him for 2 years.

Granger, points aside, he showed two things last night. He can now get to the free throw line regularly, this changes so much in how teams have to play him . Secondly, he wants to be a go to guy. Now that is a process, you have to know when and how to get a good clutch shot. He did several times, but also did not twice. It's a growth process that I think he'll improve on as the year goes on. Lastly, it's good to have the courage to take the big shot, but mix in the "big assist". Again, he's headed down the right road, imho.

So basically, I pointed out several things that they will improve on and they really were right there with a team that could be in the ECF and at the very least is one of the 4 or 5 best defensive teams in the league. Very impressive. I am extremely excited.
                Last edited by Speed; 10-30-2008, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Peck, I too disagree with a lot of what you posted. Murphy played well, Rasho played well and yet I don't like those two guys on the floor at the same time. - just a huge athleticism deficit - and that hurt the defense, and rebounding and the overall, game. (I do find it amusing that you are criticizing Jeff for not scoring - sort of like criticizing Ford for not having any block shots. Will concede that if the Pistons were doubling off Jeff the whole night - that is a problem - I just didn't notice that - not saying it didn't happen - just didn't notice, I was looking at other things.

I do agree, it is too bad Roy can't play more minutes - too bad it isn't his 3rd or 4th year in the NBA - because the Pacers need him. But he isn't ready and I disagree with the notion so many have that the best way for him and the team to devlope is just throw him out there for major minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
                    I do agree, it is too bad Roy can't play more minutes - too bad it isn't his 3rd or 4th year in the NBA - because the Pacers need him. But he isn't ready and I disagree with the notion so many have that the best way for him and the team to devlope is just throw him out there for major minutes.
                    I don't think he's ready for major minutes, but another 4-6 minute stint in the 2nd half would've been nice. That'd put him at 10-12 minutes, and help him get acclimated. I didn't see the game, but it sounds like he was at least moderately productive, so a little more burn doesn't seem unreasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by count55 View Post
                      I don't think he's ready for major minutes, but another 4-6 minute stint in the 2nd half would've been nice. That'd put him at 10-12 minutes, and help him get acclimated. I didn't see the game, but it sounds like he was at least moderately productive, so a little more burn doesn't seem unreasonable.
                      Exactly.
                      Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
                      Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Comment

Originally posted by Putnam View Post
                        I can't see how the Pacers scored only 3 points on fast breaks.
                        I only saw the second half but Detroit was frickin' amazing at how quickly they got back on defense. I don't think I saw a situation in the entire half where we had an advantage coming to the top of the key.

Some notes on what I saw:

- I think the Pacers blocked out under the defensive glass more in one game than they did most of the season last year. I kept saying, "Look! They blocked out!" I think I heard Clark say something to that effect as well.

- There was some serious bogging down going on when Detroit managed to get back on defense. I hope this is just that this group isn't used to playing with each other against an unpredictable defense, but it concerns me that the only way to get the ball around seemed to be to carry it or to try to throw it hard through traffic (leading to a lot of the turnovers).

- I was wondering why Hibbert didn't play in the second half. It's good to know he played in the first. It occurs to me that the team on the floor was constantly closing the gap, so maybe JOB didn't want to disrupt the flow too much, but still.

- Foster seemed really active to me - his assist was a big one, and I would swear he had the pass before the assist a couple of times. I'm surprised at the emptiness of his stat line.
                        BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                        Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

First of all, I loved the P's in this game. It was refreshing and gave a lot of hope.

However-I don't think they played O'bies game at all from a running perspective. We seemed to play into Detroit's game most of the night until late in the 2nd half and then started getting out and running. Either way, once this comes around, I think the games will be much different both from a def. and off. perspective.

Comment

I was very encouraged with this game, actually. I think this team is moving in the right direction. We might have 50 losses this season and that might be tougher to swallow later but right now, I like this team a lot.

Comment

The trick will be to increase tempo, but yet still play defense. It's going to be a process.

Comment

Working...
                              X