Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What I Liked Tonight 42.01

Default What I Liked Tonight 42.01

For those wondering, 42.01 = Season 42, Game 01.

I've tried to start a traditional post-game thread of my own a la Peck's Odd Thoughts at least once before, so this is definitely a "wait and see" situation as to whether I can bring this together 82 times a year. Since it's a positive slant on things, I'm hoping it will prove to boost my motivation to keep going all season long.

Anyway, on with the thread.

Brandon Rush. I loved how he was not afraid to take it to the hoop. I thought he would just float around the perimeter, but once he got the ball, he didn't just jack up shots or pass around the perimeter, he went to the hole and that's a great sign for a rookie.

Speaking of which, this is something I liked about the entire team tonight. We didn't just chuck up 3's. Not by a long shot. No, we made an obvious, deliberate effort to attack the basket, and it showed in our free throw attempts tonight. Very, very happy to see this. Sure, there were times where we were patient to a fault, and the turnovers were maddening, but I loved the fact that our offense looked focused on getting into the paint and not settling for 3 point shots off of a pass from another perimeter player. This will be huge if it's something we can keep up all season long.

Back to Rush. Anyone else pleased as punch that this kid can play that good defense from game 1 of his career? I was always happy to see him on the defensive side of the floor because aside from some mistakes, he looked great out there. Good position, used his length, kept good position, and contested shots. Very happy about this. Really all around I was pretty thrilled with our rookie wingman tonight. Just wait until he starts bombing some 3's, too.

Hibbert. Barely played, but bonus points for making a sweet, sort of quick move that a guy like him (one would think) has no business making, yet he did and he scored off of it. I saw him attempt this same move in the preseason, and I think when the D gives him an island on his man, he will surprise people with his ability to get a few buckets 1-on-1. I know it's disappointing to not see him more, but Detroit's big men are just not a good match for him; especially as a rookie.

Danny Granger. Holy cow. I often thought to myself that Danny is a guy who shows up most often when he views the situation to be a big one. That showed tonight with an very, very good effort. Would like to see some assists, but otherwise there was not much to complain about because he was doing a terrific job at attacking the hoop. This is HUGE for Danny. I'm talking "turning yet another corner" huge.

He's driving, he's getting fouled, and he's finishing at a respectable clip. If this becomes his game, I expect his scoring to go up by 5+ points from last year, and he'll likely see his FG% go up as well. It's also very important because it will leave him a little bit more open from 3 when his defender doesn't know what to expect (before now, Danny took way too many jumpshots).

I liked our new PGs and starting center. While I would have liked to have seen more good things from all of them, they all showed some positives tonight that contrast with our horrible situation last year at these spots. I liked the fact that when Jack was in the game, Chauncy didn't feel like he was on the verge of erupting offensively. He was pretty quiet tonight, but I thought Jack did a good job of staying with him, being physical, and not fouling.

I liked that Marquis' shot looks better from the outside. He didn't torch anybody, but when he shoots a 3 now, it no longer makes me want to scream.

Finally, I liked that we looked like a team that had a legitimate shot to win tonight against a good team. We played hard, we played (kinda) smart, we showed some real positives tonight. Some of the mistakes were head-scratchers, but others looked clearly to be the result of not having team chemistry on the floor yet.

Frankly, I feel encouraged. I think this team has a chance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What I Liked Tonight 42.01

Rush looks miles ahead of Granger in his rookie year. But they are also in different circumstances too. Granger was playing behind Artest and the Pacers were thought to be contenders that year. Rush is getting immediate minutes and nobody really expects much out of the Pacers this year.

I can see Rush being a really good defender in this league after a night like tonight.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I agree with everything you said. I watched on League Pass and listened to Boyle and Slick on the Internet. Slick liked the effort too.

One thing I might mention was that some of the turnovers occurred because the Pacers were over passing. Also they clearly aren't used to each other yet. Ford made one pass to where he expected Daniels to be which resulted in a turnover. And Danny made one when he passed to the referee.

I also thought that the Pacers were very good tonight. Also the other nite when they were in NO, the announcers said many times that the Pacers were goin to surpriaise a lot of people.

I watched the game on League Pass, i live in nashville so I was watching the detroit announcers.

They seemed surprised by the fact the Pacers were competing. Twenty games into the season I expect us to be playing very good basketball. Our lack of a superstar player will hurt us to a degree, but I think between Granger and Dunleavy we are close enough to having a go to guy.

I liked what I saw from Brandon Rush more than anything, as has been mentioned his defense was incredible. I think he will become an established 2nd option type player in this league.

We need to trade Rasho/Quis and some 2nd rounders to see what kind of big we may be able to get.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

When Chauncey hit that three that killed us, who was in? Ford or Jack?

Anyway, good post.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Why wouldnt this just just be in the Post Game Thread?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I still wish we would try to trade Rasho and Tinsley for Marion. We could start him and Murphy in the front court with Hibbert and Foster off the bench (with Maceo playing occasionally). They need a starting point and a starting center and that trade gives them both and gives us a versitile player that fits our offense perfectly.

About the game, I was estatic to see Murphy rebounding so well. This could be the year he shows that he is a 15/10 guy in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    I still wish we would try to trade Rasho and Tinsley for Marion. We could start him and Murphy in the front court with Hibbert and Foster off the bench (with Maceo playing occasionally). They need a starting point and a starting center and that trade gives them both and gives us a versitile player that fits our offense perfectly.

About the game, I was estatic to see Murphy rebounding so well. This could be the year he shows that he is a 15/10 guy in this league.
    Im all for trading for Marion, but if we have Murphy and Hibert starting in our front court, where would we start Marion? at SF? Does that mean Dunleavy would come off the bench? We would most likely have to trade Daniels + Tinsley + Rasho + 2 2nd rounder (from Dallas) for Marion and Banks. Miami isnt going to let Marion go without sending Banks. If that were to happen, our lineup would look like this:

Ford/Jack/Banks/Diener
    Dunleavy/Rush
    Granger/Graham
    Marion/Foster
    Murphy/Hibbert

We're not as deep, but a better team for sure
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Can we not talk about unrealistic trades for Shawn Marion here, please? This is a thread for positive talk about things we saw and liked during the game.

Sports Logo

This team has a chance to be something special. After all those turnovers we were still in the game, down 5 with 2 min or something. If this was last seasons team, we would have been down 20. I think we showed real heart out there and we didn't give up. Who knows, maybe if we had Dun we could have won this one.

I'm very interested to see how we do against Boston. I think if we play like this against other teams, we're gonna win most of those games (without the turnovers of course.)

Can we not talk about unrealistic trades for Shawn Marion here, please? This is a thread for positive talk about things we saw and liked during the game.
    I still dont understand why this wouldnt be talked about in the post game thread?

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I still dont understand why this wouldnt be talked about in the post game thread?
    It's a different slant. Typically, there's a general purpose post-game thread for any/all thoughts. Often, others have traditionally put their unique stamp on the game (see Peck's "Odd Thoughts" threads). This is me taking a crack at something like that. Beyond that, it's open for anyone to post positive things they liked/saw about the game, versus negative or more balanced views. It's about positive energy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

why aren't peck's in the post game thread. He's allowed to offer a specific viewpoint that people will want or not want to read. Good post hicks. I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Hicks got to it before me.

What I really liked tonight:

High fg percentage for the possesions that didn't end up in a turnover or a trip to the line.
    Didn't get bogged down into a 80 to 68 game like i feared we would.
    Good spacing most of the time, and that will only improve.
    Ford and Jack's ability to get to the hoop, they just need to finish more consistently.
    Granger, everything he did.
    Rush's defense and his ability to get to the hoop. He looks miles ahead of where granger was offensively his rookie year as someone else said.
    Rasho and Ford's chemistry.
    Coming back at the end to make a game of it was encouraging, we could have let it slip away.

and what I'm most excited about is this team is going to improve with every game as
    a.) Dunleavy comes back.
    b.) Rush and Hibbert develop and get more playing time.
    c.) The team learns how to play together.

I'm excited.
    Last edited by Pig Nash; 10-29-2008 at 11:10 PM.

It's a different slant. Typically, there's a general purpose post-game thread for any/all thoughts. Often, others have traditionally put their unique stamp on the game (see Peck's "Odd Thoughts" threads). This is me taking a crack at something like that. Beyond that, it's open for anyone to post positive things they liked/saw about the game, versus negative or more balanced views. It's about positive energy.
    cool

Sports Logo

Honestly....I don't recall much from BRush on either end in the 2nd half....you guys will have to fill me in on how BRush did on both ends of the court in the 1st half....I was only able to catch the 2nd half of the game.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

For the first game of the season, and of a new era, I am pleased. I liked the intensity and for the most part I thought the team tried to play the right way. These early losses are unfortunately to be expected BUT if the team can keep their focus even if the early record is dismal then the wins will come and we'll beat the teams we should beat and scare the teams that we shouldn't beat. As the season wears on maybe the list of teams that we should beat will start to grow.

In other game news... Wow... fast work with the score graphic. Typically when I watch a game, especially a close one, immediately after a made basket I look at the score and do a quick bit of math (what that score adds to us, our deficit/lead, time remaining.... etc...). Tonight the score must've changed the moment the ball went thru the hoop because I couldn't look down at the score fast enough to see it switch at a made basket. I'd look down and the score was already recorded. It made for a couple of disappointing moments as I was expecting to see a basket added to what was showing and then I'd realize they'd already done it.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Im all for trading for Marion, but if we have Murphy and Hibert starting in our front court, where would we start Marion? at SF? Does that mean Dunleavy would come off the bench? We would most likely have to trade Daniels + Tinsley + Rasho + 2 2nd rounder (from Dallas) for Marion and Banks. Miami isnt going to let Marion go without sending Banks. If that were to happen, our lineup would look like this:

Ford/Jack/Banks/Diener
    Dunleavy/Rush
    Granger/Graham
    Marion/Foster
    Murphy/Hibbert

We're not as deep, but a better team for sure
    I meant with Hibbert and Foster coming off the bench. I don't like any trade bringing back Banks because I feel he is a shooting guard and not a point guard, plus I still have hopes of seeing Diener for a few minutes each game to calm the game down and lower the turnovers that Jack and Ford create.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    In other game news... Wow... fast work with the score graphic. Typically when I watch a game, especially a close one, immediately after a made basket I look at the score and do a quick bit of math (what that score adds to us, our deficit/lead, time remaining.... etc...). Tonight the score must've changed the moment the ball went thru the hoop because I couldn't look down at the score fast enough to see it switch at a made basket. I'd look down and the score was already recorded. It made for a couple of disappointing moments as I was expecting to see a basket added to what was showing and then I'd realize they'd already done it.

-Bball
    I realized that too. That was nuts.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I liked that Brandon Rush kid.

Back to Rush. Anyone else pleased as punch that this kid can play that good defense from game 1 of his career? I was always happy to see him on the defensive side of the floor because aside from some mistakes, he looked great out there. Good position, used his length, kept good position, and contested shots. Very happy about this. Really all around I was pretty thrilled with our rookie wingman tonight. Just wait until he starts bombing some 3's, too.
    The MOST impressive trait of Rush's game, imo, is his ability to adjust mid-game. Every mistake he made on defense was only made once. He's such a quick study; it's amazing.

Btw, he was so visibly nervous at the beginning of this game. I'm glad he was able to contribute. I expect him to have a better game on Saturday.

Danny Granger. Holy cow. I often thought to myself that Danny is a guy who shows up most often when he views the situation to be a big one. That showed tonight with an very, very good effort. Would like to see some assists, but otherwise there was not much to complain about because he was doing a terrific job at attacking the hoop. This is HUGE for Danny. I'm talking "turning yet another corner" huge.
    We have until Friday to sign him to an extension. If we don't, we're going to lose about $10 million by resigning at season's end. He's improved his biggest offensive weaknesses. Now he looks like he can score 30 on any given night. 33 tonight without really exerting himself.

I liked our new PGs and starting center. While I would have liked to have seen more good things from all of them, they all showed some positives tonight that contrast with our horrible situation last year at these spots. I liked the fact that when Jack was in the game, Chauncy didn't feel like he was on the verge of erupting offensively. He was pretty quiet tonight, but I thought Jack did a good job of staying with him, being physical, and not fouling.
    Ford's ability to stay in front of his man is refreshing. The PG defense tonight was pretty good. I think the Pistons, in general, offer the biggest mismatches of any Eastern Conference opponent, but we held our own (minus a few lapses).

Finally, I liked that we looked like a team that had a legitimate shot to win tonight against a good team. We played hard, we played (kinda) smart, we showed some real positives tonight. Some of the mistakes were head-scratchers, but others looked clearly to be the result of not having team chemistry on the floor yet.

This team is much further along than I thought. Much further. The worst teams to start a season against are veteran teams as they are well accustomed to their gameplan, and no team in the NBA has as much experience as these Pistons (the main 4 in their starting lineup have started more games together than every other combo since 1991, with the exception of Jackson/Miller/D. Davis/Smits-fun fact). I was expecting a blowout tonight, and it could've easily gone that way with several double digit leads. But we kept fighting back and chipping away.

We will be better than the majority expects. We're much tougher mentally than we were last year.

The biggest negative tonight (aside from turnovers) is Murphy. He flat-out does not understand our pick-and-roll strategy, and his man-to-man is close to non-existent.\. Detroit is the best team in the NBA at exploiting weakness, and they really took advantage of Troy tonight.

I'm hoping his injury is slowing him. Otherwise, we need a very proficient offensive night from Troy just to break even on what he gives up on defense.
    Last edited by imawhat; 10-30-2008 at 12:36 AM.

About Danny...yeah...let's get that extension.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Im gonna second the idea of extending granger now, we will regret it if we don't.

Without our second leading scorer, with Granger known as our top scorer and probably focus of the other teams defense, against an EXCELLENT defensive team... dude puts up 33 (63% from the field)... Going to the hoop, getting to the line, and hitting his jumpshots. Impressive.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

One other interesting thing of note: Who led our pre-game huddle festivities on opening night?

Roy Hibbert.

I don't think Rush looks miles ahead of Granger, if anything, they look sort of comparable to me, which I think is a good thing.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods