Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harrington officially demands trade from Warriors; cites differences with Nellie

Default Re: Harrington officially demands trade from Warriors; cites differences with Nellie

It's been brought up in a couple articles that the real reason for Harrington's unhappiness stems from his contract. His agent is Dan Fegan. There is no such thing as a Scott Boras of the NBA (the CBA prevents that from happening), but Fegan is basically as close to a Boras as anyone in the NBA. He's telling Al to look out for his next contract.

He has 2 years left (including this year). Same with Stephen Jackson. He sees the team working on an extension for Jackson, but not him. So basically (as many of us have known since the Warriors traded for him), the Warriors don't view Harrington as part of the long term future.

Harrington sees himself turning 30 in two years. He probably wants to go to a place where someone will give him an extension immediately or will give him the playing time to prove that he's worth another big multi-year deal.

Default Re: Harrington officially demands trade from Warriors; cites differences with Nellie

I could see a Curry for Al deal. However, Knicks have Z-Bo at the 4 for now and may slide down Al to the 3.

I wish the Pacers could somehow get involved with this and dump Tinsley in some way, shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could see a Curry for Al deal. However, Knicks have Z-Bo at the 4 for now and may slide down Al to the 3.
    Curry won't be playing for the Warriors. Our coach wouldn't play him and the team president wouldn't take his salary (with his health concerns, etc..).

I don't see Curry fitting in with GS either. I could see Al going to NY, Curry going elsewhere and GS getting something.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Curry won't be playing for the Warriors. Our coach wouldn't play him and the team president wouldn't take his salary (with his health concerns, etc..).
    I could see why you wouldn't want Curry but he's a reasonable trade for Al at this point. Al isn't a top tier forward and his comments have lowered his value. I'd think the team will end up taking on a longer contract for a mediocre player or sticking it out with Al. Do you really want Al on the team after the comments he's made?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I could see why you wouldn't want Curry but he's a reasonable trade for Al at this point. Al isn't a top tier forward and his comments have lowered his value. I'd think the team will end up taking on a longer contract for a mediocre player or sticking it out with Al. Do you really want Al on the team after the comments he's made?
    Al will eventually get moved. He's not that great of a player and never was, but the Warriors will have choices that are better than a fat center with a huge contract who still has 3 years left on his deal. And it doesn't matter what you or I think of Curry.

If you've followed the Warriors situation since this summer, you'd know that Curry epitomizes the kind of player-salary that the team president (who has asserted his authority over Mullin) will absolutely refuse to take.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Interesting how, right after this hit the press, Al goes out and drops 26 and 11 in 46 minutes on JO and the Raptors.

Showcasing?

ESPN is now reporting the Pacers are one of several teams interested in Harrington: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-081101-02

The Pacers are among the teams, sayeth NBA front-office sources, with interest in trading for Golden State's Al Harrington, who went public this week with a request to be traded that he's been voicing privately to the Warriors for about eight months, according to one informed estimate.

Sources say, however, that Harrington is rooting for a different destination, less than thrilled with the idea of a third stint in Indiana. I'm told that the Warriors, furthermore, are highly unlikely to consider taking on Jamaal Tinsley, no matter how much they need a veteran point guard after losing Baron Davis in free agency.

Although there's suddenly considerably chatter around the league about Harrington -- who can play multiple positions, shoot with range and carries a contract with only this season and next season to go at a sum of $19.2 million -- it doesn't appear that Golden State is in any rush to part with him. Yet.

Our own Chris Sheridan reported earlier this week that New York is seriously interested as well. That shouldn't be too surprising given that Harrington, as another team executive notes, certainly looks like "Mike's kind of power forward," referring to new Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni. The Warriors, though, are understandably uninterested in the players New York wants to peddle: Eddy Curry and, of course, Stephon Marbury.

If GS doesn't want Tinsley, who else would they consider? Rasho? Murphy? Marquis?

Mood

I'm interested in Harrington the player, but not Harrington the ego.

Since they're a package deal, I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Personally, I'm not interested in either. So I sure as hell don't want both.

Is it just me, or is Harrington turning into the new Antoine Walker?

He's big on the Pacers twice, Hawks and now Warriors. He's been traded a total of 3 times and soon to be 4, it appears. I wish we had the Al Harrington of 2000-2002 era and not the one that demanded to be traded so he could start or who complains about PT and contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Personally, I'm not interested in either. So I sure as hell don't want both.
    yeh, me neither. he isn't excited about a 3rd stint here? well, he sure isn't the only one!

If Al isn't too interested in being here, than there's no point in bringing him back. It really seems like there's a positive energy in the locker room this year. The last thing the team needs is a guy who sulks and whines about his contract.

I wouldn't mind shipping him to a third team for other assets though, if such a deal came up (unlikely).
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

If the Pacers send Jamaal for Al you do it. If we have to give up anyone else then stay away from Al.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I say sit on Tins the rest of his contract. What's the hurry here, the team has more financial issues than just Tins.

They'll need to do something with Troy at some point, Rasho will probably have to be let go or moved, and they need to give Rush/Hibbert time to develop a bit more no matter how strong their first year is.

Al's a problem, exactly the kind of problem they are trying to solve and have solved by putting Tinsley on ice.

Hell, what sends a stronger message than "we'll eat the money before we let you be with this team". How do you think that plays in contract/trade talks? It says "don't hardball me, I'll take the pain all the way to the wall if I have to in order to run this thing right from now on".

Tinsley is an old mistake, and hopefully the last of his kind for some time. Al is another old mistake and is best left in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    If the Pacers send Jamaal for Al you do it. If we have to give up anyone else then stay away from Al.

That's exactly where I'd stand on this. Al's comments sound like he's a big attitude risk. Al would contribute, but he's not the low post player that we lack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Nelson sums it up best:

"He thinks he's a superstar. I think he's a very good player. If he wants to be traded, we'll try to accommodate him," Nelson told ESPN.com following the Golden State Warriors' 105-97 victory Saturday night over the New Jersey Nets.
    No thanks.

Post Re: Harrington officially demands trade from Warriors; cites differences with Nellie

So there is some talk about Harrington to the Pacers. The Warriors are not interested in Tupac Tinsley obviously. I know there are a lot of haters out there about Harrington, but I did GM Trade Checker just to see what other players we could give up to get him and this is what I came up with....

These all worked-

1)
    tinsley
    baston
    for
    Harrington

2)
    daniels
    baston
    for
    harrington

3)
    daniels
    diener
    graham
    for
    harrington

The worst case scenario is #3. Giving up all three daniels, diener, and graham for harrington. BUT...

It is still worth it. For one, diener and graham won't see much time and this would be our line up.

Ford
    Dunleavy
    Granger
    Murphy
    Nestro

Jack
    Rush
    Harrington
    Foster
    Hibbert

Dang! That is deep! Look at that bench. That is possibly better than our starting line up last year. Needless to say, I would do it. Larry should do it if the opportunity arises.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want Al at all.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

No thanks to Al, unless Tins is included and shipped away. And if GS doesn't do that, that's fine with me.

update:
    Al Harrington wants to be traded, and Warriors head coach Don Nelson isn't opposed to the idea of seeing the forward shipped out of town.

"He thinks he's a superstar. I think he's a very good player. If he wants to be traded, we'll try to accommodate him," Nelson told ESPN.com on Saturday night.

Harrington publicized his trade request before the season opener, and the Warriors have been fielding inquiries from numerous teams ever since.

"I'm just going to keep doing what I can do to be the best player I can be," Harrington said after hearing Nelson's latest comments. "If something happens, it happens. I'm prepared either way."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3677648
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I say sit on Tins the rest of his contract. What's the hurry here, the team has more financial issues than just Tins.

...Hell, what sends a stronger message than "we'll eat the money before we let you be with this team". How do you think that plays in contract/trade talks? It says "don't hardball me, I'll take the pain all the way to the wall if I have to in order to run this thing right from now on".
    The irony is that this makes Tinsley's value increase. As the season progresses, a bubble team (i.e. Denver) becomes more desperate to gain a player like Tinsley. Then the offers get more serious.

If the Pacers play this right, I see one of three scenarios unfolding:

1) I certainly see Denver as the team most likely to want Tinsley, so I say counter-offer by asking for a 1st round pick. I don't think it's unreasonable at all considering we'll be giving them a starter for two guys who probably won't figure into our rotation. This makes the most sense because we get some financial relief and we have two 1st round picks.

2) Another possibility is Denver being outbid and we receive a player that fits into our current plans. Maybe Miami finally offers Haslem (also, I don't see this as unreasonable with Marion and Beasley at the PF slot).

3) If the first two don't happen, I see a third team getting involved with many more moving pieces. I still see the Nuggets winding up with Tinsley, but I'm unsure of what the Pacers want if given the option between future or current talent. One thing I know is that Larry obviously wants more talent.

For some reason, I think the Pacers are two trades away from being finished, and I wouldn't be surprised if something big happened before the season ends.

I like Al Harrington the person from 1998-2002 era. I used to advocate a deal for Tinsley or whomever else, but Al seems to value his ability more than anyone else in the league. Is Al a solid player? Yes. Is Al a superstar? No. My concern with Al is that he has this year and next year on his deal and is looking to showcase his talent and play for a new deal. I fear he may disrupt what we have built and will look out for himself rather than the Pacers as a team. I hope he proves me wrong, but we'll see.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    I like Al Harrington the person from 1998-2002 era. I used to advocate a deal for Tinsley or whomever else, but Al seems to value his ability more than anyone else in the league. Is Al a solid player? Yes. Is Al a superstar? No. My concern with Al is that he has this year and next year on his deal and is looking to showcase his talent and play for a new deal. I fear he may disrupt what we have built and will look out for himself rather than the Pacers as a team. I hope he proves me wrong, but we'll see.
    I tend to agree. I fear Al's attitude does not fit here. If Diener were healthy I would push hard for a Daniels /Basten to GS - Al to Mia - Marion coming here type-trade. I just do not see Al comming home to play again.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    I tend to agree. I fear Al's attitude does not fit here. If Diener were healthy I would push hard for a Daniels /Basten to GS - Al to Mia - Marion coming here type-trade. I just do not see Al comming home to play again.
    thats never going to happen..

Harrington for Daniels and Baston might

but Marion for Daniels and Baston or Marion for Harrington is not going to happen. They would hand up on us. Marion wont listen to any calls unless Dunleavy or Murphy is involved along with a PG.

Why would GS want Daniels and Baston, they're in need of a PG
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.