Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harrington officially demands trade from Warriors; cites differences with Nellie

Default Re: Harrington demands trade from Warriors; doesn't want to play for Nellie any longer

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...or-don-nelson/

This guy is never satisfied. For someone of his caliber - an average player who never has impressed statistically and certainly never in important situations - Al really feels under-appreciated everywhere he goes. Nice guy, but I don't understand where his head is at.
    Nah, I think this is a false alarm:

http://48minutes.net/2008/10/28/harr...y-trade-story/

For a guy who wants to be traded, Warriors forward Al Harrington sure sounded surprised about wanting to be traded.

Contacted by 48minutes.net Tuesday afternoon, Harrington and Don Nelson both denied the hours-old report from Tim Kawakami that the 10th-year forward has asked to be shipped to another destination, no longer willing to play for the NBA’s second-winningest coach.

“I haven’t said that to anybody,” Harrington said. “I’m being honest with you.”
    “Not that I know of,” Nelson said. “I had a meeting with him yesterday, and it didn’t come up.”

Such a story would have been singularly unsurprising last season, when Harrington openly chafed at his role in Nelson’s system and the coach did little to spare the veteran’s ego, saying he’d make a better sixth man than a starter despite having scored 17.0 points per game for Golden State the previous half-season.

To have the report — attributed to NBA sources close to Harrington — come out now, after the two have gone to some lengths over the summer to patch up their relationship and come to an understanding, seems a little odd.

That’s not to say that Harrington and Nelson are now the best of friends. It’s also not to say that Harrington might not make a trade request later on in the season, if he’s back to playing less than 30 minutes a game and forced to patrol the 3-point line on offense.

But when the Warriors line up against the Hornets on Wednesday, expect Harrington to be in the starting lineup.

“Everything starts tomorrow,” Harrington said. “Training camp went perfect. Coach told me I’m one of his guys, he’s gonna play me as much as I want.”

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Harrington demands trade from Warriors; doesn't want to play for Nellie any longer

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'd trade Tins for him... with an eye toward a 3 team deal that has Harrington going elsewhere and never needing to hop on a plane to Indy.
    3rd team = NY for Rose/Lee?
    (Donnie always did like Al)
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Banned

I don't think it's entirely impossible. People keep mentioning the extra year on Tinsley's contract, but the Warriors already have a ton of salary locked up long-term. It's not like they're a rebuilding team. They just spent a ton of cash locking up veteran Maggette and Turiaf, and don't forget Moped Ellis. I can understand why their fans wouldn't like it, but Nelson and Mullin appear to be in win-now mode to me, and with their current point guard situation, Jamaal Tinsley, as average as he is, would be an enormous upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    I can understand why their fans wouldn't like it, but Nelson and Mullin appear to be in win-now mode to me, and with their current point guard situation, Jamaal Tinsley, as average as he is, would be an enormous upgrade.
    Mullin isn't even really in charge anymore. He's gonna be gone at the end of the year and he's fallen out of favor with the stooge above him (Robert Rowell). He doesn't fit in the equation. Jamaal Tinsley isn't making them a playoff team, period. If you knew anything about what was behind the decision not to bring Baron back, you'd know that they would have absolutely no interest in Tinsley.

Nellie is going to stick around at least another year to pass up Lenny Wilkens on the all time wins list. He's all but admitted that this team is too young/green to really do anything significant.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Mullin isn't even really in charge anymore. He's gonna be gone at the end of the year and he's fallen out of favor with the stooge above him (Robert Rowell). He doesn't fit in the equation. Jamaal Tinsley isn't making them a playoff team, period. If you knew anything about what was behind the decision not to bring Baron back, you'd know that they would have absolutely no interest in Tinsley.

Nellie is going to stick around at least another year to pass up Lenny Wilkens on the all time wins list. He's all but admitted that this team is too young/green to really do anything significant.
    I didn't know that about Mullin...think he'd be interested in comin to Indiana? Would we want him?

As for Al--if we could get rid of Tinsley, I think you have to do it. Obviously they're trying to, but they can't get it done. If it's possible, it has to be done.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Banned

If you knew anything about what was behind the decision not to bring Baron back, you'd know that they would have absolutely no interest in Tinsley.
    Was the decision to leave not Baron's? Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he not opt out and became an unrestricted free agent with the intentions of signing elsewhere? You don't think the Warriors would've kept him around had they been given the choice?

Was the decision to leave not Baron's? Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he not opt out and became an unrestricted free agent with the intentions of signing elsewhere? You don't think the Warriors would've kept him around had they been given the choice?
    The Warriors could have given him an offer Baron would've taken and the team president (Rowell) shot it down. Baron was essentially forced out...

Harringtons is getting paid toooo much. Hes going to be making $9,226,250 and the season after theres a player option which hes going to pick up.

Unless we can move Tinsley, I dont want it.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    I didn't know that about Mullin...think he'd be interested in comin to Indiana? Would we want him?

As for Al--if we could get rid of Tinsley, I think you have to do it. Obviously they're trying to, but they can't get it done. If it's possible, it has to be done.

--pizza
    Mullin was generally a bad executive before Nellie got here. Since then, he's been a decent but not great exec. Thing is, Robert Rowell (team president or owner's lackey/crony, whatever you want to call him) isn't impressed by Mullin.

Notice that EVERY one of Mullin's initial big dollar contract signings are no longer on the team. Basically, Rowell credits Nellie a lot more than Mullin.

It was Rowell's decision (not Mullin, who had worked out an extension) not to bring back Baron. It was Rowell's decision (not Mullin, who suggested a small fine and slap on wrist) to suspend Monta Ellis 30 games w/o pay.

So even if Mullin was willing to take on Tinsley's last 3 years, Robert Rowell would probably give the big N-O to that trade. If he wasn't going to bring back Baron, he won't want anything to do with Tinsley.

Mullin is probably an average/medicore GM overall. He's made some mistakes, but I think he's learned from them and he was able to ditch them. He's made a couple good decisions draft wise, but he's made a few big whiffs as well. All in all, he's nothing special as a GM.

Good guy to have as a public face for a franchise, though.

Mullin had worked out an agreement with Baron where he would choose to "keep" the last year of his contract for $17M and then be given an extension on top of that for an additional 3 years and $39M. They had a verbal agreement.

Robert Rowell stepped in and said no to that. He would only give Baron an additional 2 years. Once that happened, Baron said "I'm outta here" and went with the Clips offer. Can't say I blame him one bit.

Mullin is basically on the outs now. He's in the last year of his deal and he won't be back. Probably a mutual feeling on Mullin's part as I dobut he wants to work for Robert Rowell.

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    According to RealGM's Trade Checker, Tinsley & Baston for Harrington would
    work.

And Harrington's contract has just 1 year left on it.

I'd pull the trigger on that deal in a heartbeat if they would go for it.
    Its not only one year. Its one year plus a player option, which Harrington is most certainly going to exercise because hes not going to see that kind of money again
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Its not only one year. Its one year plus a player option, which Harrington is most certainly going to exercise because hes not going to see that kind of money again
    One year after this one. A year shorter than Tinsley, and owed less overall.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    One year after this one. A year shorter than Tinsley, and owed less overall.
    yup its still less the Tinsley, thats why im all for it. We'll get more money available for the "2010 FA". I doubt we'll sign some big named free agent then. I think we'll only be in a position to sign a top FA once Murphy and Dunleavy's contracts are up

Harrington wouldn't be my first choice in obtainable power forwards but I'd trade Tinsley for him in a heartbeat. The Warriors need a PG so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    The Warriors need a PG so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.
    If the Warriors trade for Tinsley, they'll still need a PG and they still won't be making the playoffs.

Again, if you knew anything about why Baron wasn't brought back, that would clue you in to how much they'd want Tinsley.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Harrington demands trade from Warriors?; doesn't want to play for Nellie any longer?

Harrington was a solid 6th man, but he just doesnt have it anymore..the guy is a rotation player that has streaks...he is very undependable.
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

The Warriors won't pay for the rest of Tinsley's deal. No matter what happens, Tinsley is not saving their season.
    Neither is Monta Ellis
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    yup its still less the Tinsley, thats why im all for it.
    I'd say there's pretty much nothing to be for, even without d_c's cryptic non-hints. It's a fake rumor.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    It's a fake rumor.
    It's not a fake rumor that Harrington has been unhappy with his role and would like out. That's been known. The timing of this particular report might be off. He may have made all those demands about a trade and refusing to play for Nellie earlier in the summer, but it may have gotten smoothed out over during training camp.

Nonetheless, I'm sure Harrington probably still wants out.

Now anything that has the Warriors willing to take on Tinsley is absolute bunk. Harrington wanting out from GS doesn't do much to the chances of Tinsley getting traded. They have nothing to do with eachother.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Harrington demands trade from Warriors?; doesn't want to play for Nellie any longer?

I still think it would be a good idea to trade JT for AL. I always liked him for some odd reason.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

I don't think Al is Larry's type of player. As much as he wants rid of Tinsley I don't see it happening.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    I still think it would be a good idea to trade JT for AL. I always liked him for some odd reason.
    You're about the 20,578th person on PD to mention that you would trade Tinsley for Harrington. Of course it would be a good idea. Any deal where you get back a shorter contract than Tinsley is a good idea, regardless of whether the guy you get back is talented or not.

But so far the only team that comes close to be willing to do that type of trade is Denver, and they're asking for additional cash and picks to be thrown in.

It's too bad Jay isn't a GM somewhere.... 'cuz then we could get rid of Tinsley for real!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Warriors trade for Tinsley, they'll still need a PG and they still won't be making the playoffs.

Again, if you knew anything about why Baron wasn't brought back, that would clue you in to how much they'd want Tinsley.
    I get what you are saying, but JT's contract is substantially less than what they would had to have paid to keep Baron around.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by HCPacerIN View Post
    I get what you are saying, but JT's contract is substantially less than what they would had to have paid to keep Baron around.
    He's also substantially less talented. Tinsley's bad qualities are basically a big magnification of some of Baron's bad qualities. And those bad qualities made Robert Rowell decide not to give him an additional season on that extension. (and I don't agree with Rowell's decision).

Bottom line is if they wouldn't pay Baron, they're also gonna be unwilling to pay a scaled down, cheaper version of Baron with bigger flaws and a lot less talent and is unlikely to push them over any kind of important hump this season.