Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,286

    Default Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    At one point in time during the 3rd quarter I actually looked towards the heavens to see if the Eastern sky was parting because the Lord was already on earth having his vengance. The trumpet players in the pep band had me fooled.

    Needless to say when someone goes off for a night like that you pretty much have to sit back and take it. God knows that is what our defense did, so why shouldn't we the fans enjoy this as well.

    Honestly I'm not mad at anybody. Amare is a hell of a player and frankly unless we had the big ticket on our team or the new and improved Superman from down in Orlando I don't think it would have made much of a differance.

    It's not like he was just dunking the ball, I think he could have drop kicked the ball and it would have went in.

    The guys we had on him tried, but failed. In Troy's case miserably in Jeffs case comically.

    The story for this night was Amare, however the story of the night might just have been how scrappy the Pacers were. It just wasn't meant to be.

    We have played 3 great teams and not once can I say that I felt like we did not have a chance at any of these games. If anybody, and I mean anybody, could have scored some points in the end of the 3rd quarter we may very well have weathered the storm and pulled out a win. As it stands though, it is a loss and we all pretty much agree that at the end of the season there are no moral victory's. However knowing where we were and where we are I a cannot say that I am upset about being 1-2 right now.

    Let's begin.

    Troy Murphy: I normally come on here and try and point out whatever good Troy has done in a given game to make sure that someone at least says something not related to his contract. However this vommit inducing performance leaves me unable to do so. Look believe it or not I am not all that upset with his defense. However I take huge exception to the fact that this guy now has one shot in his arsenal, the three. If it ain't a three he ain't taking it or at the very least he isn't hitting it. When did this occur? At what point in time did he lose his ability to drive. Look I understand that he is not going to be confused with Danny in his driving ability, but he doesn't even try anymore. This makes me sick at my stomach. I appreciate the fact that again he got 10 boards but the fact that he now has somehow metamorphed into Walter McCarty is not good. I'm not asking for a post up game, but something anything else would be nice.

    On that note, did we even set one pick or screen in the second half? For the life of me I can't remember one. One of you guys that video and watch this, please let me know.

    Jeff Foster: Believe it or not I'm not that upset with Jeff. Actually one of the things I love about sitting where I sit now is that compared to the guys behind me I seem like President of the Jeff Foster fan club. When he fouled out of the game they gave him a standing O, and it was not for his effort. Anyway in the 4th I will say this for him. He was playing physical and every now and then a little "dirty is not the right word here" rough with Amare. He actually got Staudimire pretty upset. However unlike other players who get mad, Amare just proceded to dunk on Fosters head. I'm sure if we check the word Spalding is probably engraved in Jeff's brow.

    On a side note here, I knew we were in deep deep crap early in the first quarter when Danny blocked Grant Hill, ran down the lane for what looked like an easy shot only to have the ball deflated by Amare. Stoudemire looked right at us and shook his head violently and yelled "yeah, that's right". All we could do was sit there and take it. Actually from the crazed look in his eye we were just praying he didn't decide to come into the stands and take us all out.

    Back on point.

    Roy Hibbert: Rookie. Uninspired was the word I was going to use, however that would not be fair. He tried, he still didn't make a lot of dumb fouls. However the one advantage he has is that thanks to David Harrison the bar is set very low for him when it comes to stupid fouls. Anyway Roy was just a good old Indiana maple tree in the path of destruction that was Tornado Amare. He was beaten, bruised, bent and stripped of his leaves. But alas he was not broken. So he will heal to play again.

    Jarret Jack: Speaking of healing. Good God this man ate the floor hard tonight on a couple of occasions. His defense was decent and he attacked the basket in the second half. He had a couple of turnovers that were questionable but overall he had a good game.

    Granger: Danny started out strong but he petered out after the second quarter. Didn't seem to hit the boards as hard tonight, however when you have a player hitting most of thier shots there are not going to be lots of rebounds. He and Grant Hill kept playing defensive tricks on each other. Danny "pulled the chair" on Grant (I think it was in the third) and in the fourth Grant used "jazz hands" to totally mesmorize Granger into turning the ball over. It still says a lot bout where Danny is when I can say he had a 23 point game and it wasn't that special.

    Daniels: On the one hand I want to be really p!ssed that he guy took 19 shots. On the other hand I can only think of a few of them that were really all that bad. 1-6 from three point land makes me say, "Stop shooting the damn three" however I realize that while I am yelling this that O'Brien is over there yelling "Quisy, take the damn three". So Daniels is screwed there. His defense was good, he rebounded. However having said all of that I will say this, we missed Mike Dunleavy's offense in the third.

    Ford: There was a point in time early in the game where he did a crossover and litterally broke Steve Nash's ankles. I fully expected him to sit the ball down on the court and dance around it for a few seconds before taking off for his shot. Normally I don't like p.g.'s calling thier own number this often. But tonight in the second half he was about the only one getting a shot that even had the pretense of falling. So in this case I will just look past that.

    Rush: Good solid decent min. with more experiance by the day. More turnovers than you would like but he didn't embarras himself either on defense. He seemed to have his shot back a little tonight so I would have like to see him take a couple of more shots than he did.

    Deiner: Why?

    Baston: Why not more? Actually I would have liked to have seen the coach throw him in there for a few more min., hell what could it have hurt. but in the few seconds he got it, he probably wishes he didn't play as he got bagged on a drive.

    Tonight more than any other night in a few years I deeply regretted our lack of a physical player/defender. At the end Phoenix was hamming it up and being a little to cocky about things. I'll take that ***** from Stoudimire because he earned it but I'll be d@mned if I'm happy about having to watch Boris (I can't believe I get paid) Diaw & Raja (I can't believe I'm still in the league) Bell celebrate like they did anything. Diaw's points were a joke and he got those from riding the wave of Amare.

    I would have paid a million dollars to have LaSalle Thompson run out on the floor and set a bone crunching pick on either of them. But all we had was Murphy and Foster so instead of rocking thier world we worked on how best to pose for the poster shot.

    New game on Friday, let's kick some Cav. @ss

    Oh yea before I forget, the crow was very dissapointing in number. I realize it was a midweek game, but still this was sad.

    However those that were there were very vocal and pretty much into the game.

  2. #2
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,106

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    as soon as Murph took that inside J I said to myself, crap he is going to lose his outside touch...and after that it was all gone to hell....he couldn't hit anything anymore...Definitely agree that he needs to take it to the rim and be aggressive.

    Aggressive - that is what we were missing on the offense tonight...too many players were hesitating as to what they should be doing.

    Sure the Suns have stepped up their defense since last year, however our offense just played right into their hands...

    Rush/Hibbert - showed some positive signs but you can still see that there will be a lot of growing pains with those two...but I'm not discouraged cause they actually seem to be learning from it...

    Granger - Hill's "jazz hands" as Peck has mentioned just threw him out of his game...then again he was pretty much playing second fiddle in the offense...when there was no one else who could be playing as the main guy...

    Quis - he tried...I wouldn't say he was hogging the ball...didn't even really realize he took 19 shots...but those 3s are brutal...would be nice if he would just step in a bit and take the mid-range jumper...which he and I would be more comfortable with...

    Overall it was a good game to watch as a fan of basketball but frustrating as a Pacers fan...a few calls made you scratch your head wondering what just happened...however that is nothing new...have to step it up for the next game.

  3. #3
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    8,846
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    although Daniels took a lot of shots, he also created those shots by hitting the glass. He led the team in OReb.

    The stat that gets me is assists. We had 16 team assist. Ford had three of those. Who led the team? Murphy. Something tells me that JOB wants Murph to drive less and hit the open flare at the baseline.

    Jack is 1-6 from three. Ford is 1-4. Teams will sag more on us in the coming games until they get in the 30 percentile.

    Defensively Rush looked as lost as I ever saw him. That is why it was one of his worst games. Hibbert needs to slow down on the block. He had position on a couple of plays, but move too sudden. It appears he has shown one move. Fake left go right and clank it. These are good games for him to learn from.

    Our players are going to have to work the hardest in order to win. While they may be capable to do that occasionally. I don't think this is going to bring success.

    BTW our half-court offense is abomnible.

  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,721

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Troy Murphy: I normally come on here and try and point out whatever good Troy has done in a given game to make sure that someone at least says something not related to his contract. However this vomit inducing performance leaves me unable to do so. Look believe it or not I am not all that upset with his defense. However I take huge exception to the fact that this guy now has one shot in his arsenal, the three. If it ain't a three he ain't taking it or at the very least he isn't hitting it. When did this occur? At what point in time did he lose his ability to drive. Look I understand that he is not going to be confused with Danny in his driving ability, but he doesn't even try anymore. This makes me sick at my stomach. I appreciate the fact that again he got 10 boards but the fact that he now has somehow metamorphed into Walter McCarty is not good. I'm not asking for a post up game, but something anything else would be nice.
    I didn't see the game so I won't pile on... I think my position on 3-shooting big men is clear. So here's the question:

    Last year he drove a lot... that's what impressed me most about his late-season tear. Do you think his lack of driving this season is attributable to a) his new-found bulk, b) a hesitation to go inside against Shaq and Amare, c) all of the above, d) none of the above?

    Honestly curious here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have paid a million dollars to have LaSalle Thompson run out on the floor and set a bone crunching pick on either of them.
    Where are you going to get a million dollars? Expecting to win a bet with UB?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  5. #5
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,909

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    The Pacers were missing one competent bigman and they would have won.
    Yes, Rasho would have been enough. Unfortunately you have seen what teams will do
    to the Pacers if they have zero inside game. Basically pack the paint and it is going to be
    difficult for the Pacers. Unfortunately they have NO power game. A real POWER, power forward would have won this game for the Pacers.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  6. #6
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Speaking of the second comming, as Peck put it. I got to feel some of that 49 point sweat.

    When Amare was done, he tossed his jersey out to a Suns fan on the sideline. Well, as Seth and I were standing outside of the Fieldhouse chatting... This kid comes up to us holding this jersey and proclaims that this was Amare's jersey. I kind of half-*** believed him. He says...."Feel It!" So, I take it out of his hands and....."Ewwww" it was just drenched.

    This morning when I got to watching the highlights, I actually seen them show Amare hand off his jersey to the kid to actually confirm that I was holding the sweaty jersey of the guy that single handedly destroyed us last night.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  7. #7
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,669

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    It seemed to me that we completely lost control of the midrange in the second half. We had opened things up with good outside shooting in the first quarter, but Phoenix basically came out and started over, daring us to hit outside shots before giving up anything in the middle or down low. Unfortunately, we couldn't get anything to fall, and thus our offense was stalled.

    I got awfully tired of yet another opponent where it seemed like they could have stood at Monument Circle, flung the ball in the air toward Carmel, and still had it go in. Yeah, sometimes there were defensive flaws, but sometimes there were just ridiculous shots and odd bounces and pure garbage that went in the hole.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  8. #8
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,075

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    I think we need to give Steve Nash a lot of credit for last night - most of Amare's points were as a direct result of what Nash was able to do. The Nash - Amare pick and roll is the most difficult play to guard in the NBA. Very few times did Amare just get the ball and beat us one-on-one. Even the times he got the ball at the top of the key (do they still call it that) almost everytime that was after a pick and roll, and that caused our defense to be out of position.

    I wonder what Mike Wells was watching because in his article today he said Nash had a poor game - no one who actually watched the game could have possibly said that - sure his stats weren't good - but Nash set everything up and made it almost impossible to double Amare.

    I realize O'Brien said the Pacers shot selection was bad in the 3rd quarter and it was - but the Suns defense had a lot to do with that - it was great in the second half
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-06-2008 at 09:23 AM.

  9. #9
    Team Raskolnikov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ghent, Belgium
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,593

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we need to give Steve Nash a lot of credit for last night - most of Amare's points were as a direct result of what Nash was able to do. The Nash - Amare pick and roll is the most difficult play to guard in the NBA. Very few times did Amare just get the ball and beat us one-on-one. Even the times he got the ball at the top of the key (do they still call it that) almost everytime that was after a pick and roll, and that caused our defense to be out of position.
    Didn't see the game but I agree about their pick and roll, very hard to defend. Aside from dunks or lay-ups, when Amare's midrange shots are falling, it makes him completely unstoppable. Don't know if they were yesterday or if he just got way too easy to the rim all night long.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

  10. #10
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,075

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't see the game but I agree about their pick and roll, very hard to defend. Aside from dunks or lay-ups, when Amare's midrange shots are falling, it makes him completely unstoppable. Don't know if they were yesterday or if he just got way too easy to the rim all night long.
    Really the only team that seems to defend that play well is the Spurs. last night I saw a different Suns team under Terry Porter. Defense was better (after the first quarter) than I have ever seen it and their half court offense which has been good for years looks even better now. They might not run as much, but they looked extremely good to me and grant Hill looked excellent as well

  11. #11
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Just pointing out that I loved this paragraph...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have paid a million dollars to have LaSalle Thompson run out on the floor and set a bone crunching pick on either of them. But all we had was Murphy and Foster so instead of rocking thier world we worked on how best to pose for the poster shot.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  12. #12
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,987

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    I agree with everything Peck and the rest say here.

    It will be nice if/when Dunleavy comes back and you get in those offensive funks (3rd quarter/end of game), he should really instantly help that.

    Defensively, it would have been nice to have something defensively in the arsenal to double Stoudamire for awhile just to get him out of his rhthym. It's difficult because he wasn't scoring on iso's, but off of pick and rolls and ball movement.

    I wish they would have a defensive set for every style of star in the league that they can go to in spurts to take a hot player off of his game.

    Hibbert guarding Stoudamire was ridiculous. It wasn't helping the team and wasn't helping his confidence. I think Roy needs to learn some "hands on" lessons in this regard, but he was just killing him for a good stretch there.

  13. #13
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,009

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't see the game so I won't pile on... I think my position on 3-shooting big men is clear. So here's the question:

    Last year he drove a lot... that's what impressed me most about his late-season tear. Do you think his lack of driving this season is attributable to a) his new-found bulk, b) a hesitation to go inside against Shaq and Amare, c) all of the above, d) none of the above?

    ?
    Murphy has slimmed down this season not bulked up.

  14. #14
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,118
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Amare had a great game, he would have lit up anyone last nite, We quit attacking the basket in the 2nd half. The Suns are a good team, it's way too early to get down on the Pacers. We have played 3 of the top teams in the NBA and have been in both of the games we lost. They are working hard and will win their share of games. I have no complaints.

  15. #15
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,075

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Our defensive system is not a good system to defend the Suns with - too much movement and that is exactly what the Suns like, so Nash can pick it apart. Several times we tried to stay home, but then Amare got easy dunks, but the times we did crowd the paint that left the three point shooters wide open. To defend that you need a very experienced group and it helps to be in a playoff series when you can break it down detail by detail

  16. #16
    Member Phree Refill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Columbus IN
    Age
    26
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    [QUOTE=Peck;802272]Baston: Why not more? Actually I would have liked to have seen the coach throw him in there for a few more min., hell what could it have hurt. but in the few seconds he got it, he probably wishes he didn't play as he got bagged on a drive.QUOTE]

    I agree with this. Amare was absolutley torching us. Baston is long and atheletic. Why not throw him in there and see if he could disrupt Amare? Cause anyone else and our "team" defense sure wasn't doing anything.

    Now to hibbert, I think he needs to stop the turn-to-one-side-and-throw-the-ball-up-over-his-head-towards-the-basket move. It has repeatedly shown it is painfully uneffective. Most of the time it just clangs horrifically off the backboard or side of the rim. He's 7'2"! Face the basket and just dunk it on your opponent's head!

    Rush had spells where he was impressive and other's where he just looked like a rookie. He had numerous passes that he changed his mind halfway through throwing them and he ended up turning it over. He also missed several bunny shots. Goes back to the point of if your right under the basket then DUNK IT! Don't just lay it up towards the rim and hope it rolls in.

  17. #17
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last year he drove a lot... that's what impressed me most about his late-season tear. Do you think his lack of driving this season is attributable to a) his new-found bulk, b) a hesitation to go inside against Shaq and Amare, c) all of the above, d) none of the above?
    One thing we need to keep in mind is that Troy was injured for most of the preseason. He's looked rusty on offense ever since he's been back. I think it's fair and correct to criticize him, but you've got to believe that he's going to here the same thing from O'Brien. He's passing and rebounding well and his defense has improved. Give the guy a couple weeks with O'Brien chewing on him and he'll start playing like he was at the end of last season.

    One could also point out that with Dunleavy out we're not nearly as good of a shooting team. This hurts Troy for two reasons: 1. He's being asked to be more of a shooter. With our starting lineup, we only had 2 good 3 pt shooters on the floor: Troy and Danny. 2. The lane is getting clogged because Ford and Daniels are primarily guys who like to attack the basket. This leaves less room for Troy to attack.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  18. #18
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,558

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have paid a million dollars to have LaSalle Thompson run out on the floor and set a bone crunching pick on either of them. But all we had was Murphy and Foster so instead of rocking thier world we worked on how best to pose for the poster shot.
    That would've been awesome to see and I would've chipped in to see it.

    For as bad as Troy was on Amare, I thought that Jeff was worse. Jeff got punked and owned out there like I've never seen before. I was actually embarrased for him when Amare dunked him to the floor. It looked like a grown man dunking on a 6th grader. Jeff only pulled down 4 rebounds? A totally pathetic performance by a veteran who has defined his reputation with defense and hustle.

    Then again, Amare is AWESOME! He showed the world this in the Olympics and he's back to pre-micro-fracture form. This is the same guy that shredded Tim Duncan in the playoffs to the tune of 42 points in 2005.

    On another note... I'd love to get my hands on the tool who created this schedule.

    I expected the Pacers to start the season 0-4 based on the schedule so I'm still pleased with how competitive they've been thus far. We really missed Dunleavy tonight and I'm hopeful he'll be able to reach 100% and play soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  19. #19
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    I'm not up for in-depth analysis, but I will say Jeff Foster being in for Rasho was a huge offensive liability that really hurt badly once we stalled.

  20. #20
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    last night I saw a different Suns team under Terry Porter. Defense was better (after the first quarter) than I have ever seen it and their half court offense which has been good for years looks even better now. They might not run as much, but they looked extremely good to me and grant Hill looked excellent as well
    I agree. Terry Porter has been impressive so far. The Suns can really turn it up defensively when they want to, and they usually do it in the 2nd half. This indicates to me that Porter's making some good half-time adjustments. On Tuesday night they held the Nets to 9 points in the 4th quarter. I realize the Nets aren't an offensive juggernaut, but 9 points is incredibly impressive.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  21. #21
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,987

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not up for in-depth analysis, but I will say Jeff Foster being in for Rasho was a huge offensive liability that really hurt badly once we stalled.
    Huge!! I agree. It's premature and I'll tuck this away for later in the season if needed, but if Jeff can't defend at an above average level and can't control the boards like his younger days, then I start to question how much he is helping out there because I cringe everytime he gets the ball on the elbow in this high offense, rarely does anything good happen from it.

    I'll wait and watch though.

    I would start to consider moving him for a young Jason Maxiel Paul Milsap Ryan Gnomes type to grow with the current group of guys.

    That's for another day, though.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,400

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    [quote=Phree Refill;802366]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Now to hibbert, I think he needs to stop the turn-to-one-side-and-throw-the-ball-up-over-his-head-towards-the-basket move. It has repeatedly shown it is painfully uneffective. Most of the time it just clangs horrifically off the backboard or side of the rim. He's 7'2"! Face the basket and just dunk it on your opponent's head!
    The turn to one side and throw the ball up over his head method is pretty much how he scored in college. In any case, guys who are Hibberts size are almost never face the basket players. Hibbert will be fine.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Was at the game as well and wanted to share my thoughts:

    -- Murphy -- it seems as if Murphy's legs just aren't in it as his shooting seems to be off. He hit a few big shots, but a few others barely grazed the rim or were short. Not sure if it's due to him bulking up or what? But he seemed to be run down and out of energy towards the end of the game.

    -- Granger played pretty well for the most part. But he did miss a few easy putbacks.

    -- TJ Ford had a quiet 23 on Wednesday night. He almost broke Nash's ankles on a few occasions, but I would love to see TJ develop a stronger outside shot. Not that I want him draining 3's on every occasion, but his outside shooting seems to be off a little.

    -- Marquis -- played solid. A few questionable shots at times, but he did attack the glass and hustled for loose balls, steal, etc.

    -- Foster -- Played okay. When you have Amare at the 4 and Shaq at the 5, you're going to lose 99 times out of 100 with just Foster. We definitely missed Rasho tonight.

    -- Bench play was okay. Rush and Roy show flashes at times and just need to put it all together and make some plays. Roy wants to rely on his hook and it was fun watching him against Shaq for the limited minutes, but I would prfer a Roy who can face the basket and make plays. Diener gave us some energy, but the little nudge to Amare (that sent him flying) was a stupid play. Yeah, it was an acting job by Amare, but c'mon Diener. Jack is a tough player and took those two shots where he landed rather hard on his tailbone. I'm sure he was a little sore waking up on Thursday morning.


    --Phx -- What can you say other than Amare is a beast! The guy seems to have Indiana's number. But he hit just about everything tonight. The few misses he had seemed to be from longer distance with little time on the clock. I was especially impressed with Amare's mid-range shooting as he knocked down the same mid-range shot what seemed to be a good 4 or 5 times,

    I definitely think we missed Rasho and Dunleavy tonight. Obviously PHX is a running team and it looked like a playground game on Wednesday night, but I like the look of this team. I think that we can only get better, especially once Rasho and Dunleavy return and the back-to-back this week should be a good test.

    Spent some time after the game down in the Best Locker Room. Got a chance to speak to TJ Ford (who is maybe 5'10 at best), talked to Danny Granger Sr. for a few minutes and also got a chance to meet Grant Hill. Hill was there with his Dad, Calvin, (who is now working for the Pacers in a PR role) and he and Grant left together. Rasho, Diener and Graham walked by on their way to an autograph session at the gift shop and McRoberts came in for a minute or two. Shaq was talking so some people (spent a few minutes talking to Roy after the game) and came over near the Best Locker Room for a minute and shook someone's hand and walked away. Pretty cool, though, standing about 5 feet from Diesel! I also saw the kid that got Amare's jersey. Someone said the person who caught it was paid $300 for it and then later had it signed by Amare as well.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,400

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was at the game as well and wanted to share my thoughts:

    -- Murphy -- it seems as if Murphy's legs just aren't in it as his shooting seems to be off. He hit a few big shots, but a few others barely grazed the rim or were short. Not sure if it's due to him bulking up or what? But he seemed to be run down and out of energy towards the end of the game.
    Being run down and out of energy is sort of a Murphy hallmark, for some reason. Only strange thing here is that usually happens about 30 games in, so this is a bit strange.

    Guy works hard, but it just doesn't pay off in the conditioning aspect of things the way you'd think it would pay off. Really reinforces why he should be a 25 mpg guy off the bench. He's put in a lot of time in the gym over the years, but he's just never really gained NBA starter level conditioning.

  25. #25
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,009

    Default Re: Odd thoughts while witnessing the second coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was at the game as well and wanted to share my thoughts:

    -- Murphy -- it seems as if Murphy's legs just aren't in it as his shooting seems to be off. He hit a few big shots, but a few others barely grazed the rim or were short. Not sure if it's due to him bulking up or what? But he seemed to be run down and out of energy towards the end of the game.
    Murphy bulked up last year, this year he slimmed down.

    http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=300017878 (Third article down)

    I guess last summer was different because they really wanted me to bulk up, so I bulked up, which was fun, Murphy said. I enjoyed many different types of food and things like that but it hurt me at the beginning of the season and it took me awhile to get that weight off. I really watched what I ate this summer and came in in good shape.

Similar Threads

  1. NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009
    By N8R in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1220
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 10:59 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 05:39 PM
  3. duke dynamite's Post Game Thoughts: VS. Memphis 10.17.08
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 04:04 PM
  4. Carter coming to Indy -- with Nets
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
  5. Odd thoughts about the collapse to Denver
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 07:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •