Thread: Microsoft matches reward for missing teen, Updated, Missing boy found deceased

Default Microsoft matches reward for missing teen, Updated, Missing boy found deceased

SOFTWARE giant Microsoft has matched a reward being offered in the search for a missing teenager who ran away from home after his parents took away his Xbox 360 video game console.
    Microsoft, which makes the Xbox 360, said it would match the existing reward of C$25,000 ($32,000) for information leading to Brandon Crisp's return.

"Like everyone, we are deeply worried about the disappearance of Brandon Crisp," the company said in an email.

"Law enforcement has contacted Microsoft about this matter and we are co-operating fully with them. We are unable to comment further on the nature of our co-operation because of the ongoing investigation."
    The 15-year-old has been missing since October 13th. He ran away from his home near Toronto, Canada, after his parents took away his gaming privileges because of his excessive playing of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

The game is a wartime shooting simulator that gives players a first-person perspective. It also lets players connect online and compete against one another, either in teams or individually.

It is possible that police will ask Microsoft to divulge the list of players with whom Brandon Crisp has played recently.
    Police and volunteers have been scouring the area around Barrie, Ontario, a small lakeside city about a one-hour drive north from Toronto, but so far have been unable to find the boy.

As online gaming has exploded in popularity since the start of the decade, academics and parents have raised concerns over the possibility of addiction.

Last year, the American Medical Association said more research was necessary on the potential of addiction to video games. It urged parents to closely monitor their children's use of games and the Internet.
    Websites such as www.wowdetox.com, a sounding board for those addicted to or trying to quit the popular World of Warcraft online game, have sprung up as well.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html
    Last edited by GO!!!!!; 11-05-2008 at 05:19 PM.

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Microsoft matches reward for missing teen

I read this on Neowin.net earlier.

Way to go MS.

Doesn't surprise me that he was COD4 fan...

All pun aside I hope the kid gets his arse back home, last time i remember running away it only last like four hours when i was a kid before i got Hungry..

Different times...

Interesting precedent it sets tho..

Missing Canadian Xbox boy found dead
    From correspondents in Ottawa, Canada
    Agence France-Presse
    November 06, 2008 08:25am

A CANADIAN boy who ran away from home after his father took away his Xbox game console has been found dead in a field.

Brandon Crisp, 15, took off on his bicycle from his Barrie, Ontario home on October 13, sparking a huge police search with help of 1600 volunteers that turned up no clues except for his abandoned bicycle with a flat tyre.
    Xbox-maker Microsoft and others had offered a $C50,000 ($62,000) reward for information on his whereabouts.

Yesterday, police said only that hunters had found a body in the search area.
    The daily Toronto Star said on its website that Brandon's parents had been notified it was their son, and students at his school were told the news at an assembly.

Brandon's father previously said he had removed Brandon's Xbox after noticing changes in his behaviour since Brandon started playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare online.
    The boy started skipping school, stealing money and ignoring his studies, his father said.

In an interview with the daily Globe and Mail, the boy's father, Steve Crisp, said he had not known how important the gaming system was to his son and how he would react when it was taken away.

"This had become his identity, and I didn't realise how in-depth this was until I took his Xbox away,'' Mr Crisp told the Globe and Mail.
    "That's like cutting his legs off.''
    "This is such an issue that hits every parent out there, with video games that are starting to control our kids' lives,'' he said.
    "I just took away his identity, so I can understand why he got so mad and took off. Before, I couldn't understand why he was taking off for taking his game away.''

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-23109,00.html

Default Re: Microsoft matches reward for missing teen, Updated, Missing boy found deceased

Holy ****. Was it a suicide? What happened? Man.

Video games are like almost anything else in life... easy to get lost within, especially things like videogames where there's a ton of payoff for relatively little effort. : (
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Default Re: Microsoft matches reward for missing teen, Updated, Missing boy found deceased

It is in the news papers up here. There Canadian to US dollar is also much off. The paper hasnt said of what yet.

Apparently where they found the kid is near one of my friends Cottages.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope the parents don't beat themselves up over this. They did absolutely the right thing in taking the game away. He obviously had some issues.

yeah he did. I guess they are doing an autopsy today. I will let you know what they say but they already ruled out murder.

The game wasn't the problem, it was merely a symptom of the problem. Taking the game away was in all likelihood a mistake, but probably just rushed the inevitable since nobody has indicated any recognition of the underlying problem(s).
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden