Thread: Do we know how to play playoff basketball or what!!

Mood

Default Do we know how to play playoff basketball or what!!

Yes, we got lucky breaks tonight, but we also had our star in bad foul trouble, our other start playing quietly (just a bad night, not really his fault except for some bad shots), and the refs were awful for us yet again.

BUT WE WON ON THE ROAD IN NJ (AGAIN) after being down double-digits, the night AFTER beating the World Champs!

Mood

Default Re: Do we know how to play playoff basketball or what!!

I still feel like we have stretches of lucking out by bad turnovers or missed shots by the other team, but still considering the things that weren't in our favor tonight (foul trouble, horrible calls), I'm starting to believe.

I'm always supportive, I always think kindly of this team, but for the first time since the Bird Era I'm really starting to slowly creep back to where I was during the Bird Era in the confidence/cockiness in us being one of the best. It's starting to feel real.

We've still got a long ways to go, but boy are we finally (finally) starting to get there. We'll still have lapses of immaturity, but we're continually improving now and it's a joy to behold (finally).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was definitely a playoff style game tonight.
    The Pacers have showed consistency this season in being able to grind out the close ones.
    This team is way ahead of last years' team, in terms of team defense, trusting each other, and spacing on offense.
    Pacers are looking good, and that's great to see, they just need to stay healthy, and continue this type of effort into June.

Mood

First things first, I want us to constantly win games like this against teams like this. We're not there yet, but we're making progress.

But man I can't wait until we're a team that can start strong and just bury teams. Maybe we won't get there, but I bet we can.

This team has made some serious strides in the mental toughness category. They don't seem to get rattled, they don't seem to care about being down, they don't seem to get full of themselves. They just continue to exert their will on the other any way they can.

Sports Logo

Jermaine was just magnificent after he got his 5th foul. He played so smart I hope he keeps that level of a head in the playoffs.

That was a very impressive win. I don't think NJ can beat you in the playoffs - not unless they make a trade for a shooter. The lock down defense in the 4th was outstanding.

Not sure what you're talking about with the refs though. I thought they sucked but it was pretty much equal opportunity. I think Artest could have dragged someone out of the stands and mugged them and they'd have let it go.

BTW - the WB4 Announcers suck. REALLY bad. When Clark's in they're OK but Buckner's a whiner. Can't you get decent announcers? I almost had to laugh once - Buckner was whining about how Jefferson should've been called for a foul going for a rebound vs Foster, then Al goes over Collins back for one and not a whisper. It would've been funny if it hadn't been so pathetic.

Sorry for that last paragraph but they really detracted from enjoying the game. Back to my main point - the Pacers are a much better team than NJ and I thought really showed that - even playing a game without showing much of a coherent offensive strategy Not that NJ makes it easy - they're still good but Indy's clearly better.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

We're doing pretty well, yeah. Standings look nice:

Indiana 31-11
    Jersey 21-17
    Detroit 28-13
    Nawlins 23-17
    Milwaukee 22-18
    Toronto 20-17
    Boston 20-22
    Philadelphia 18-22
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

Arent your Knicks winning one right now?

Anyway I got the NJ feed on league pass and I thought the NJ announcers were very fair

Mood

I don't think NJ can beat you in the playoffs - not unless they make a trade for a shooter. The lock down defense in the 4th was outstanding.

Back to my main point - the Pacers are a much better team than NJ and I thought really showed that - even playing a game without showing much of a coherent offensive strategy Not that NJ makes it easy - they're still good but Indy's clearly better.
    Who would have thought back in September/October we would see comments like THIS this season??

I love it!

Arent your Knicks winning one right now?

Anyway I got the NJ feed on league pass and I thought the NJ announcers were very fair
    The Indy announce team since they got Al Alberts has been bad - I've thought they'd been better this year until tonight.

As for the Knicks, we're gonna win some games. We have a PG who can break down and collapse defenses as well as anyone and two top spot-up shooters who can take advantage of it. And in the last 15 games KVH has been playing as well as he ever has. Our interior defense should also be strong.

But we won't do anything in the playoffs. No inside post-up scoring and our perimeter defense will suck. Still better than we've been but not even in the Pacers league - not in playoff-style basketball.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo

I am not worried about the Knicks. Had they hired Frattelo I would have been but not now.

jfisher

test-just want to see if I still exist

Winning games is obviously the most important thing but knowing why you win is almost as important.

Why did the Pacers win tonight. Mental toughness, defense, defense, defense, and playing together. I hope the players realize why they won the game tonight. If they do realize it, they will only get better

test-just want to see if I still exist
    Do you guys hear a faint buzzing?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Why did the Pacers win tonight. Mental toughness, defense, defense, defense, and playing together.
    Which is kind of ironic to me since it was a lack of defense that let the Nets lead by 12. Glad they finally "turned it on" when it was absolutely necissary.

Why did the Pacers win tonight. Mental toughness, defense, defense, defense, and playing together.
    Which is kind of ironic to me since it was a lack of defense that let the Nets lead by 12. Glad they finally "turned it on" when it was absolutely necissary.

Exactly right the defense in the 1st half was really bad.

Another really good sign the pacers are becoming a very good second half team

Down 10 tonight

Down 7 last night

They were down to both the Mavs and Spurs last weekend

That's what I was thinking in the first half...
    I was saying: "This is how this team comes out of the gate. We aren't very good at the opening of ballgames. Just wait till the second half New Jersey. We'll show you. We're a second half team."

Tim

I really expected Jason Kidd to step up in the 4th quarter and kill us.

He seems to love to play against Tinsley and claims to have him in his pocket. It didn't happen. I am going to watch the tape again tommorrow and focus on Kidd in the 4th.

This was a big game for NJ. More for them than the Pacers. NJ needed this win to keep a mental edge over us, that edge was destroyed tonight.
    Al's post game comments confirms this, "We are for real. The road to the finals goes through Indiana."

Pacers think they own the East, Detroit will have something to say about that. This will be a good game. I hope both teams are healthy and the refs are fair.

Al's post game comments confirms this, "We are for real. The road to the finals goes through Indiana."
    I love that quote, hence my sig. line hehe