Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849
Results 1,201 to 1,221 of 1221

Thread: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

  1. #1201
    Thank you, Danny. Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,323

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    It's worth mentioning that the red light on the backboard did not go off and that the buzzer did not go off until after the shot clock expired. Usually refs look for these things while another is looking at the shooters feet to make sure if it was a three or a two.

    All that said, ending a game like this is unacceptable and the fact that they can't review it makes no sense to me. The NBA needs a serious rule change this summer.

  2. #1202
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    For those saying it wasn't even close - I mean it was probably .3 seconds - which in real time is pretty close. Yeah they need to change the rule to allow the refs to check on end of shot clock shots. But do you just limit to the last 30 seconds or last minute - or only under 5 seconds remaining. I just don't know where you draw the line. I hardly think they should check the replay on any possible shot clock violation during the course of the entire game

  3. #1203
    Thank you, Danny. Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,323

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    I don't see why they can't check it on every single possible shot clock violation. They don't have to stop the game right there, but they could note the time and go back and look at the tape during a commercial break or a timeout. It's not much to ask just to get the correct call.

  4. #1204
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see why they can't check it on every single possible shot clock violation. They don't have to stop the game right there, but they could note the time and go back and look at the tape during a commercial break or a timeout. It's not much to ask just to get the correct call.
    Sometimes there are 6 minutes (playing time) between timeouts - I don't think you can wait that long - especially the later it gets into the game. You need to stop and check it right there- but I think only in the last 2 minutes of the game - I would expect to see the rule change for next year

  5. #1205
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,469

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sometimes there are 6 minutes (playing time) between timeouts - I don't think you can wait that long - especially the later it gets into the game. You need to stop and check it right there- but I think only in the last 2 minutes of the game - I would expect to see the rule change for next year
    I disagree that it needs to be checked at that time. The officials already have the power to go back and look at a 3 pointer to see if the player was on the line or not at the next dead ball. The shot clock violation can be handled the exact same way. There should be no difference between taking one point, two points, or three points away if it is the correct call.

  6. #1206
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,787

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree that it needs to be checked at that time. The officials already have the power to go back and look at a 3 pointer to see if the player was on the line or not at the next dead ball. The shot clock violation can be handled the exact same way. There should be no difference between taking one point, two points, or three points away if it is the correct call.
    So you're saying - if the shot in question takes place with 42 seconds left and there isn;'t a timeout until 2.6 seconds left (I know that doesn't happen very often - but I've seen it - some coaches don't like to call timeouts late in games Sloan, jackson to name a couple) that fans, players, coaches will be fine not knowing what the actual score is until 2.6 seconds left. How would a team know to foul or not, to take a three or not. That is not possible.

    You have to blow the play dead and check the replay before moving on. That could be a 3 point swing.

  7. #1207
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,469

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you're saying - if the shot in question takes place with 42 seconds left and there isn;'t a timeout until 2.6 seconds left (I know that doesn't happen very often - but I've seen it - some coaches don't like to call timeouts late in games Sloan, jackson to name a couple) that fans, players, coaches will be fine not knowing what the actual score is until 2.6 seconds left. How would a team know to foul or not, to take a three or not. That is not possible.

    You have to blow the play dead and check the replay before moving on. That could be a 3 point swing.
    Do you really belive in an end game situation that the time out wouldn't be taken? If the coach didn't take a time out at the end of the game they would be follish at best. I think it is still the same as the foot on the line situation. If my team is ahead by 2 with 42 seconds left and the refs give the other team a 3 when I know it wasn't one why wouldn't i call time out to give them a chance to look at it?

    The same would go, I would imagine, in the shot clock situation. If a 3 puts the team down 5 or 6 the coach would have to take a time out or foul to force the review with 42 seconds left. Why would you give points away if you had the power to prevent it?

    The whole idea of handling it like the foot on the line situation is that the blown call in the 2nd quarter can be rectified without ruining the flow of the game. The end of the game situation like last night is less likely to happen than the same mistake occuring in the rest of the ame.

  8. #1208
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Posts
    2,672

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    If the Bulls and Sixers finish with identical records then where would they be placed on the playoff bracket?

  9. #1209

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Has anyone notices Ike Diogu the last 2 games has had 32 and 28 on 14-20 and 10-17 with 11 and 13 rebs ?

  10. #1210
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldWayne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone notices Ike Diogu the last 2 games has had 32 and 28 on 14-20 and 10-17 with 11 and 13 rebs ?
    I saw that too. How many more minutes is the guy getting to get that many points and rebounds?

  11. #1211

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyMurphy3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw that too. How many more minutes is the guy getting to get that many points and rebounds?
    40 minutes

  12. #1212
    Member PacersRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    BTown
    Posts
    663

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the Bulls and Sixers finish with identical records then where would they be placed on the playoff bracket?
    Cavs played without three starters today and lost to the Sixers. Sixers will be on top of the Bulls, so then Bulls will play Boston in the first round. There's actually some strategies here. IMO, the Bulls are better than Sixers, and with Bulls playing Celtics, Bulls might have a better chance of beating or at least exhausting Celtics, therefore making it easier for Cavs.

  13. #1213
    Member PacersRule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    BTown
    Posts
    663

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldWayne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    40 minutes
    Still, I think it's pretty impressive.

  14. #1214
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldWayne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    40 minutes
    Wow then that explains a lot.

  15. #1215
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    This might deserve it's own thread, but I'm not starting it. Just thought I'd put it out there the next time someone starts the debate about if Reggie Miller should be in the HOF.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/interviews/

    Reggie says no.

  16. #1216
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This might deserve it's own thread, but I'm not starting it. Just thought I'd put it out there the next time someone starts the debate about if Reggie Miller should be in the HOF.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/interviews/

    Reggie says no.
    To make this a more valid debate, the NBA really needs to have its own HOF and people can then have more legit conversations about this stuff. Debating who belongs in the current Basketball HOF that everyone speaks of is comparing apples to oranges.

    (Please note that College Bball and FIBA have their own HOFs, and there is also a women's bball HOF. The NBA is the only major Bball entity w/o its own HOF.)

    Otherwise, you'll be comparing Reggie's credentials of getting into the HOF to some female player/coach from another continent who you've never heard of.
    Last edited by d_c; 04-23-2009 at 02:51 PM.

  17. #1217
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Chris Webber and Gary Payton are quite possibly the worst commentators in the history of all...commentating.

  18. #1218
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chris Webber and Gary Payton are quite possibly the worst commentators in the history of all...commentating.
    I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand them.

  19. #1219
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,312

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chris Webber and Gary Payton are quite possibly the worst commentators in the history of all...commentating.
    No. Bill Walton, Dick Vitale, and John Madden "win" that "honor" in a landslide. Tommy Heinsohn is also quite the annoying homer.

  20. #1220
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,558

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldWayne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone notices Ike Diogu the last 2 games has had 32 and 28 on 14-20 and 10-17 with 11 and 13 rebs ?
    Ike Diogu has changed the term "contract year" to "contract last few games." Sorry Ike, you should have woken up 4 years ago.

  21. #1221
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: NBA Random Thoughts 2008-2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. Bill Walton, Dick Vitale, and John Madden "win" that "honor" in a landslide. Tommy Heinsohn is also quite the annoying homer.
    Maybe but with the possible exception of Madden at least I can understand what they're saying. Not so much with Gary and Chris.

Similar Threads

  1. Random NFL Thoughts: The Official Thread
    By Natston in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 10:21 PM
  2. Okafor, Bobcats agree to 6-year, $72 million deal
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 10:26 PM
  3. Random thoughts: 2008 playoffs edition
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2025
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 12:07 PM
  4. Well... Not impressed.. Random thoughts
    By Bball in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 04:18 AM
  5. So, what's the over-under? and Random Thoughts
    By indygeezer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 02:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •