Thread: Shaq thought

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Shaq thought

No, I'm not stupid enough to suggest him here for Croshere et al.

I'm looking out over the scenary and envisioning him in Dallas. They have the parts to make it happen and Cuban is...well Cuban.

I can see it. ALthough I'm sure Kupchak may prefer him in the EC, how many teams have the parts to make it happen and are foolish enough to throw around the cash it will take to keep him happy???
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Shaq thought

No, I'm not stupid enough to suggest him here for Croshere et al.

I'm looking out over the scenary and envisioning him in Dallas. They have the parts to make it happen and Cuban is...well Cuban.

I can see it. ALthough I'm sure Kupchak may prefer him in the EC, how many teams have the parts to make it happen and are foolish enough to throw around the cash it will take to keep him happy???
    In the West: Dallas, Orlando (Hill contract) Clips(?)(no Kobe)
    In the East: NY NJ Chicago
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

The Mavs want in.

TMac and/or Shaq.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/b...286878018815dfw

Mavs have interest in Shaq, McGrady

By Art Garcia Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Shaquille O'Neal and Tracy McGrady let it be known Friday that they want out. The Mavericks are more than willing to welcome either or both in.

In shocking developments coast-to-coast, two of the NBA's marquee players are demanding trades, according to published reports. While teams around the league line up as potential suitors, the Mavs are well positioned, in terms of contracts and players, to make runs at O'Neal and McGrady.

"If we can get into any of the superstar sweepstakes, it's something we have to weigh and look at very closely," Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said Friday night. "Going into this off-season, it was our plan to be very active."

O'Neal, the league's premier center, is seeking a divorce from the Los Angeles Lakers after eight seasons, three championships and an MVP award.

Friday's news out of Los Angeles wasn't limited to O'Neal. Kobe Bryant has become a free agent, though it's widely assumed he will re-sign with the Lakers. Phil Jackson, the Lakers coach the last five years, is also out in Los Angeles. Some within the Mavs' organization believe that coach Don Nelson might agree to step aside to make room for Jackson, other team sources downplay the Mavs' interest in Jackson. But O'Neal is another story.

"I want you guys to write that if any GM out there wants a hard-working big man who wants to win championships, call [Lakers general manager] Mitch Kupchak, because he'll entertain offers," O'Neal, 32, told the Los Angeles Times. "My last six, seven years, I want to be on a great team."

Ironically, the team that lost O'Neal in 1996, the Orlando Magic, could be forced to part ways with McGrady, 25, the league's leading scorer the past two seasons.

Adding O'Neal, scheduled to make in excess of $29 million next season, is the larger financial burden. McGrady is set to earn $14.5 million in 2004-05. Both have the option of becoming free agents after next season.

League rules stipulate that the total salaries traded by one team be within 15 percent of the salaries received from the other team. In trading for either O'Neal or McGrady, a team would roughly have to send back their equivalent salaries.

The Mavs have four players -- Antoine Walker, Michael Finley, Antawn Jamison and Dirk Nowitzki -- making maximum-level contracts. Free agent Steve Nash could also be looking at a contract in eight figures.

Team sources indicate that Dirk Nowitzki is the closest the Mavs have to an untouchable player. Everyone else on the roster could be involved in order to land O'Neal or McGrady. The Mavs have a number of players with lesser contracts -- Eduardo Najera, Shawn Bradley, Danny Fortson, Tony Delk, etc. -- who could be used to make the numbers work.

Walker, eligible to be selected by Charlotte in the expansion draft on Tuesday, is entering the last year of his contract at $14.6 million and will be shopped if the Bobcats don't take him. Finley ($14.6 million) and Jamison ($12.6 million) are both proven scorers and each has four years left on his contract. Finley, however, is 32 years old. Jamison is 28. Nowitzki ($12.6 million) also has four years left on his deal and, at 26, is recognized as the cornerstone of the franchise.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

L.A. Lakers trades: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
    L.A. Lakers receives: C Grant Hill (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
    PF Juwan Howard (17.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 35.5 minutes)
    PF Drew Gooden (11.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 27.0 minutes)
    PG Tyronn Lue (10.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.2 apg in 30.7 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +17.6 ppg, +4.5 rpg, and +4.4 apg.

Orlando trades: C Grant Hill (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
    PF Juwan Howard (17.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 35.5 minutes)
    PF Drew Gooden (11.6 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 27.0 minutes)
    PG Tyronn Lue (10.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.2 apg in 30.7 minutes)
    Orlando receives: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 67 games)
    Change in team outlook: -17.6 ppg, -4.5 rpg, and -4.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Why ?

Orlando would keep McGrady in this scenario.
    Shaq has stated he wants/will buy at least a part if not all of the Magic when he retires.
    They have another chance of bringing Phil in.
    Hill is either back on top or a contract to be written off (capspace for LA)
    the remainder is filling for Kobe.

In this trade, as with any other one involving Shaq and TMac the will of the franchise counts for a lot less then the will of the players involved.

Don't mean to rain on your parade able, but Orlando is an EC team. eak:

. . . In this trade, as with any other one involving Shaq and TMac the will of the franchise counts for a lot less then the will of the players involved.
    LA would just be dumping Shaq if they did that trade. I think LA will trade with Dallas.

can you spell "ooooops"

O-O-P-S
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Shaq thought"

Two words I never thought I'd see together.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

can you spell "ooooops"

Yeah. But apparently you can't.

I just realized earlier today how funny it'd be to have Shaq on the same team as Shawn Bradley. Knowing Nellie, he'd probably put them on the floor together, at the 1 and 2 no less.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

"Shaq thought"

Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Shaq thought"

When I first saw the thread heading, I thought it was going to be something along the line of "Deep Thoughts with Shaq"
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...