Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will you be watching for this season?

Default What will you be watching for this season?

Fall has begun which sucks because I love the summertime. However it means its time for basketball season to begin! That is how I get through the winter time.

So anyways what are you going to keep a close eye on this season for the Pacers around the NBA?

For the Pacers there are a number of things i'm curious to see.

TJ Ford

Finally, some quickness at the point guard spot! Sure he is small but he is still a good point guard. I like what he brings to the table. I just hope he can stay healthy. I think everyone will be very impressed with what he does for us this season.

Rush/Hibbert

I try not to expect much from rookies but I still want to see how these guys do. Both have a lot of playing experience in college and should be more NBA ready than most. I would like to see them play and make an impact but again I try not to expect much from rookies.

How everyone does after a year in Jim O'Brien's system

I expect Danny and Mike to have about the same production as last season, just on a better team. I look for more from Troy Murphy. Hopefully he can be a double double guy. I would love that.

How all of the new guys adjust

We have a lot of new guys who will be key players for us. To me we only have maybe half of the rotational players who were with us last year, Danny, Mike, Troy, Jeff, and Marquis. So we have a lot of new guys which means some adjusting time.

We played like what? Half of last season without our best player, Jermaine, and our most important player, Jamaal. We nearly made the playoffs and with some new faces should mean improvement. Hopefully we can get there.

As far as around the NBA i'm curious to see:

Bulls/Pistons

Both are Central Division teams, Bulls (Vinny Del Negro) and Pistons (Michael Curry) and they have first time head coaches. It will be intresting to see how those teams do.

The Bulls were a dissapointment to all last season. It will be interesting to see what a fresh face on the sidelines can do for them.

The Pistons had another really good year but went without a championship. Goodbye Flip and hello Michael Curry. There were talks of some roster moves but no major moves were made. It will be interesting to see how this team does. I don't know if they can have a better regular season. Can Curry do a better job of coaching them in the playoffs?

I think both will be fine head coaches, especially Curry.

Houston Rockets

They were good last year but now they added Ron Artest for pretty much nothing. We know all about Ron, i'm sure he will screw things up before too long. However for his first season he might not screw things up for them.

I always wanted to see Battier/Artest together. Two of the very best defenders in the game.

Injuries will probably be what holds this team back, like always.

Dallas Mavreicks.

Rick Carlise will bring a fresh approach to that team. It sounds like he is trying something different on offense this year.

He has plenty of talent to work with, that's for sure. Kidd/Dirk/Howard. Plus Jason Terry, Stackhouse, etc.

The question is how much does Jason Kidd have left in the tank?

I think that Carlise can re-energize this team and they could win their division. It's really tough though with San Antonio, New Orleans, and Houston all in there.

Those are what I am looking at this season. I don't care about the defending champions or any of that. Its pretty wide open this year, just like last.

Default Re: What will you be watching for this season?

I'm excited to watch Ford, Jack, Nesterovic, Rush, Hibbert as the new guys, but I like that they're playing with others I already enjoy in Dunleavy, Granger, Murphy, Foster.

Basically I'm excited that I get to enjoy watching everyone in this rotation versus thinking "when will they put ______ back in?"

I'm looking for:

1) Can TJ hold his own (at least) every night regardless of the opponent?

2) Can Rush learn to attack the basket?

3) Will Danny learn to attack the basket?

4) Will Hibbert start to assert himself on the low block?

5) Will Murphy prove Bird and O'Brien right?

6) Will our defense improve to middle of the pack level?

7) Will the Pacers prove to be more than they are on paper?

I was going to say garbage time during the first Spurs/TWolves game, but that ship has already set sail.

Instead, I guess I'll say the progress made by our rookies.

other than pacers PORTLAND is the team that will be interesting to see.

if any of their players don't get injured they will be dominating nba 4-5 years from now imho.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

if any of their players don't get injured they will be dominating nba 4-5 years from now imho.
    Provided they can keep most of their team together, offcourse .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rommie and Hicks covered just about everything I was thinking about...great minds and all that, eh?

But one thing....I believe Danny "attacks" the basket just fine. He just appears to get confused about what to do when he gets there. Too many little weak lay-ups bouncing off the rim last year. So that's something I'll be watching for. How does he finish?

woman without a team

I'll be watching to see if my prediction that the Bucks would make the playoffs and the Pacers wouldn't will come true.

Besides the Pacers, the Warriors interest me. I've read the team may consider playing S-Jax at point, which will be funny to watch.

For some reason, I actually care to see what Shaq does. Watching big men at the end of their career is always strange.

Last year they didn't have enough talent, I thought they played hard, but weren't good enough to beat good teams. You saw this in their record, they beat bad teams and almost without exception lost to good teams.

Post Brawl until then, they underacheived. There were chemistry problems, selfishness, they never played to thier potential.

This year I want to see where they are at and I want to see how much better they could possibly be internally. I am very surprised at how I think it's been ignored that Jack and TJ are 25 years old and just heading into their prime. And of course the rookies.

So here is what I'm looking for:

First I want to see where we are in the hierarchy of the league with what they have right now.

Second, I want to see how much they can grow with what they already have in the next couple of seasons. (Is Rush and Hibbert your future starting 2 and 5? Is the PG rotation good enough?)

Lastly, how many are pieces are missing to go to the next level. (PF?)
    Last edited by Speed; 10-25-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Gotta Play Big

Roy's development.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Provided they can keep most of their team together, offcourse .
    yeah that too

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post

Why should it take them so long, especially with the top western teams getting older? In the NFL and in MLB teams can go from last to first in a season. But in the NBA we're always being told it wil take years before a young, talented team can even get into the playoffs and past the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    Why should it take them so long, especially with the top western teams getting older? In the NFL and in MLB teams can go from last to first in a season. But in the NBA we're always being told it wil take years before a young, talented team can even get into the playoffs and past the first round.
    Boston last year went from pathetic to CHAMPION, but it is an exception to the rule.

As for the Pacers:

The development of players.

The chemistry of the team.

The "D" and rebounding.

As usual I will keep tabs on a bunch of young players on different teams. Some that I did last year and some rookies this year.

Tessa

i will interested in watching bayless and his progress in comparison with rush. it will take some time to figure that out,

Just make sure you combine Bayless and Diogu's stats vs JJ, Rush, and McBob.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'll be looking to see if there is more strategy to the offense than run and gun, throw up a three.

- Will there be strategic screens?
    - Will Ford be more pass first than in the past?
    - Will Granger find a midrange game and be more in control when driving?
    - Will Hibbert bring a low post threat to the offense?
    - Will great passing emerge from good chemistry and trusting each other?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I'll be looking to see if there is more strategy to the offense than run and gun, throw up a three.

- Will there be strategic screens?
    - Will Ford be more pass first than in the past?
    - Will Granger find a midrange game and be more in control when driving?
    - Will Hibbert bring a low post threat to the offense?
    - Will great passing emerge from good chemistry and trusting each other?

Yeah... These sounds good to me. I'll be watching our defensive intensity as well.

And if you guys want me to be brutally honest I'll be hoping JO is a bust in Toronto so if the Pacers are slow to get going we won't be hearing "We need JO back!".... and if the Pacers do well I also don't want to hear "Just imagine if we still had JO with THIS lineup"

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparko View Post
    Just make sure you combine Bayless and Diogu's stats vs JJ, Rush, and McBob.
    Bayless won't play much this season, and besides, Portland didn't get him with this season in mind. I would be completely shocked of the combined stats of Bayless-Diogu amount to much at all, and certainly they will be MUCH MUCH less than the combined Jack-Rush-McRoberts totals.

There has been rumblings that Bayless is a bit of a selfish player and hasn't exactly figured out how to play as a team. His teammates have reportedly been rolling their eyes at some of the things he's done in preseason. His style has actually been described as Marbury-like, and if that is true, he won't get off Nate McMillan's bench until he changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Boston last year went from pathetic to CHAMPION, but it is an exception to the rule.
    The Celtics aren't an exception because they weren't relying on young talent but rather older, established superstars who were brought in via trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    Bayless won't play much this season, and besides, Portland didn't get him with this season in mind. I would be completely shocked of the combined stats of Bayless-Diogu amount to much at all, and certainly they will be MUCH MUCH less than the combined Jack-Rush-McRoberts totals.

There has been rumblings that Bayless is a bit of a selfish player and hasn't exactly figured out how to play as a team. His teammates have reportedly been rolling their eyes at some of the things he's done in preseason. His style has actually been described as Marbury-like, and if that is true, he won't get off Nate McMillan's bench until he changes.

This should not be a surprise. Some folks have been pointing this out for awhile. Bayless has a two guard mentality in a point guard's body. He's a gunner. He's going to put some decent to good assist numbers here and there after being criticized, but for the most part he is looking for his own points.

Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    the thing that seperates a playoff team from a championship caliber team is experience. portland players should gain some experience first but if they add some experienced players who played at that level before to the roster over the upcoming years they will earn the rings a lot sooner like you said.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will be watching for a team that plays hard, has fun, does the little things, and most of all, begins to bring back the pride and love for Indiana's past-time. I won't care about the record as long as I can stomach the games, or dare I say enjoy them.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I'm going to be watching first and foremost to see if Dun's injury is more serious than team officials are admitting. I fear the worst as TPTB have been less than honest about this in the past.

This season will be totally different without Mike. If he's healthy, we'll be in the running for a playoff spot. If not, we are only building for the future. Call it "The tale of two Seasons".

Either way, I'm still looking forward to seeing fresh faces, learning to play as a team, without some distractions of the past.