Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Miami interested in Tinsley again

Default Miami interested in Tinsley again

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...ed_in_tinsley/

The Heat are reportedly interested in Pacers point guard Jamaal Tinsley, who has been stuck in limbo as Larry Bird tries to unload him.

Miami currently has Marcus Banks, Mario Chalmers, Chris Quinn and Shaun Livingston under contract at point guard.

Obviously not a lot of content and it makes little sense when you consider that they just signed Livingston. It does make me think that Larry wasn't lying when he said a few teams were still interested in Tinsley. I would think that Denver, GS, the Clippers and now perhaps Miami have some degree of interest that may continue to grow as the season starts.
    I assume that to get any player for Tinsley that can contribute we'll have to sweeten the deal or take on a bad contract in return. The question is what do you want? Would you rather just dump Tinsely for lower impact players like the proposed Denver trade, or would you rather see the team sweeten the deal a little to obtain Haslem, Martin, Harrington, or Thomas all of who are somewhat expendable on their perspective teams?

Default Re: Miami interested in Tinsley again

Only two options make sense. Deal Tinsley for a salary cut...because all by himself we are bound to get a so-so player...something we already have many of.

Option 2 is to package Tinsley with another real asset...like Quis...to get a starting calibre PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...ed_in_tinsley/

The Heat are reportedly interested in Pacers point guard Jamaal Tinsley, who has been stuck in limbo as Larry Bird tries to unload him.

Good. This should speed up the Denver talks, if that deal isn't dead.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Only two options make sense. Deal Tinsley for a salary cut...because all by himself we are bound to get a so-so player...something we already have many of.

Option 2 is to package Tinsley with another real asset...like Quis...to get a starting calibre PF.
    I don't think adding Quis would get us much of anything. Does he really have much trade value at this point?

Looking at the Heat PGs, they lack experience on a winning franchise. They need a PG who has been through all of that. Someone like Jamaal Tinsley .

Now wouldn't South Beach be just the place for Tinsley to rehabilitate his career
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Looking at the Heat PGs, they lack experience on a winning franchise. They need a PG who has been through all of that. Someone like Jamaal Tinsley .
    Why do you need experience when you aren't competing for a Championship?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Miami and Denver need to realize that the Pacers are not going to hand over a legitimate starting PG, particularly to a competitor in the Eastern Conference, unless something of substance or a nice salary cut is coming back. A bad contract attached to a player that will never see the floor is equivalent to paying off Tinsley.

This means we are better served by dealing Tinsley to Denver for a bad contract than dealing him to Miami for the same thing. ...so the price to Miami is going to be a little higher...

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. Miami is stacked at all positions. All they need is someone to take the ball-handling load off of Wade and they could be top four in the East this year and even higher when Chalmers comes into his own. Come on...

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    I don't think adding Quis would get us much of anything. Does he really have much trade value at this point?
    I think he's a very good backup. He also has a nice sized expiring contract that has appeal.

...and maybe we could deal Rasho too (who also has a soon to expire contract) to get the player we really need at the PF position.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Miami and Denver need to realize that the Pacers are not going to hand over a legitimate starting PG, particularly to a competitor in the Eastern Conference, unless something of substance or a nice salary cut is coming back. A bad contract attached to a player that will never see the floor is equivalent to paying off Tinsley.

This means we are better served by dealing Tinsley to Denver for a bad contract than dealing him to Miami for the same thing. ...so the price to Miami is going to be a little higher...

I hope your joking. Anything we get for Tinsley aside from a contract significantly larger than his is a good deal. We are not in position to make demands here. I think the added benefits from the casual fan base knowing that he's gone far outweighs keeping him here. I would take almost anyone at this point. Kenny Thomas, Brian Cardinal...anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peskoe97 View Post
    I hope your joking. Anything we get for Tinsley aside from a contract significantly larger than his is a good deal. We are not in position to make demands here. I think the added benefits from the casual fan base knowing that he's gone far outweighs keeping him here. I would take almost anyone at this point. Kenny Thomas, Brian Cardinal...anyone.
    If we get a worthless player with an equivalent contract, we may as well pay off Tinsley and be done with it.

If we get a worthless player with an equivalent contract, we may as well pay off Tinsley and be done with it.

Bird has already stated that paying him off is just not an option. It's not going to happen.

If we were in talk with only 1 team then we wouldn't be in a position to make demands, but because at least 1 other team wants him that is helping us raise his value. It makes sense that Miami should offer more than Denver being in the same conference. Hopefully Miami liked what they saw with Quis last night.

Bird has already stated that paying him off is just not an option. It's not going to happen.
    Have you never negotiated anything? Why in the world would Bird say that was an option when he is trying to trade Tinsley?

The reality is, if Tinsley's contract gets down to one year and he is likely to get in more legal trouble, his contract WILL get paid off at that point. The problem at the present time is that his contract is longer and more money that the Pacers want to part with...and they know that some teams will take a chance on him. If GS took a chance on SJax, someone will take a chance on Tinsley. The real question is, how long will the Pacers hang onto Tinsley. Within a year and a half, I have no doubt he will be gone, even if it means paying off that last year.

Have you never negotiated anything? Why in the world would Bird say that was an option when he is trying to trade Tinsley?

The reality is, if Tinsley's contract gets down to one year and he is likely to get in more legal trouble, his contract WILL get paid off at that point. The problem at the present time is that his contract is longer and more money that the Pacers want to part with...and they know that some teams will take a chance on him. If GS took a chance on SJax, someone will take a chance on Tinsley. The real question is, how long will the Pacers hang onto Tinsley. Within a year and a half, I have no doubt he will be gone, even if it means paying off that last year.
    As a college student I must say my negotiating experience is minimal.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I really think that Miami could reload next offseason and be a contender.

If we see a deal we like, great. If not, you don't have to buy him out. You just wait until his contract is even shorter. Eventually he'll be an expiring contract to use, if it comes to that.

He also has a nice sized expiring contract that has appeal.
    I'm not meaning to single you out, but I see this all the time. It's incorrect.

Daniels DOES NOT have an expiring contract folks. Posters are constantly saying this. What Daniels has is 2 years left on his contract with the first year of the 2 years left as a TEAM OPTION. If the team doesn't pick up the option then the contract is done/over/through. It has the same effect as an expiring if the team option isn't picked up, BUT it isn't an expiring contract.

Sorry about being picky about the small thing. Someone decades ago gave me this for my desk:

"He who lets the small things bind him, leaves the great undone behind him."

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post

Daniels DOES NOT have an expiring contract folks. Posters are constantly saying this. What Daniels has is 2 years left on his contract with the first year of the 2 years left as a TEAM OPTION. If the team doesn't pick up the option then the contract is done/over/through. It has the same effect as an expiring if the team option isn't picked up, BUT it isn't an expiring contract.

Sorry about being picky about the small thing. Someone decades ago gave me this for my desk:

Marquis Daniels is an expiring if the team so wills it?

I think the situation with Miami is pretty simple:

Miami is going to absolutely insist the Pacers take back Marcus Banks or else no deal from their perspective. I don't think Pat Riley will compromise on this.

The reason: Banks makes less than Tinsley, but like Tinsley he has 3 years remaining. They want to be a player in the 2010 market, and having both Banks AND Tinsley (who play the same position) is about $11M against the cap during the summer. They can't afford that.

If they take Tinsley, they're going to want Banks going out b/c then they're only adding ~$3M to what they're commited to now for summer 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post

let's call it an up-to-you-expiring contract

I think he's a very good backup. He also has a nice sized expiring contract that has appeal.

...and maybe we could deal Rasho too (who also has a soon to expire contract) to get the player we really need at the PF position.
    I'm sorry but Tinsley + Quis + Rasho is not going to net the Pacers a starting PF worth a damn. I mean c'mon, basically that is like offering scraps for a prime rib steak.

Considering Rasho is a starter + expiring contract on most teams himself and Quis is a decent back-up + expiring. I would think those two by themselves would net a good if not quite very good starting power forward.

It just depends on just how much of a negative you view Tinsley has.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparko View Post
    Considering Rasho is a starter + expiring contract on most teams himself and Quis is a decent back-up + expiring. I would think those two by themselves would net a good if not quite very good starting power forward.

It just depends on just how much of a negative you view Tinsley has.
    Define a "very good starting PF". Give me some names.

Teams are not dying to give up a true quality PF for expiring contracts and spare parts.