Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who should start.....roy or rasho

Default who should start.....roy or rasho

After seeing how well both played in the preseason, who should get the nod for our starting Center spot?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: who should start.....roy or rasho

Rasho, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Hibbert start by season's end if he continues to develop at this rate. This is NOT the same player I saw at Georgetown. His transformation has been simply incredible so far.

I saw that Shade posted and I figured he closed this thread and pointed to the other one.

Since we're apparently going with it, I'd say Rasho, with the caveat that I want Hibby to get plenty of minutes behind him and I'd love for him to take the role by the end of the season.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

It will probably be better for Roy to be the backup until further notice. If he starts looking good when he crosses paths with starters on other teams, then it's time to look at it.

Rasho will most likely start, but I hope after the All Star Break, Hibbert starts.

Am I wrong, but Hibbert kind of reminds of me Horford. Do you guys see a comparison or am I off?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I'd say Rasho, with the caveat that I want Hibby to get plenty of minutes behind him and I'd love for him to take the role by the end of the season.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Rasho, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Hibbert start by season's end if he continues to develop at this rate. This is NOT the same player I saw at Georgetown. His transformation has been simply incredible so far.
    Well we are paying alot for Rasho and if HIbb is our future long term center we should limit his miles before a microfracture surgery is needed.

More importantly we will get to the playoffs no matter who starts and it appears Hibb is learning faster than any of us could have predicted.

It didn't hurt Reggie to spend a year under Chuck. It won't hurt Hibbert to spend a year under Rasho.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    It didn't hurt Reggie to spend a year under Chuck. It won't hurt Hibbert to spend a year under Rasho.

'cept Reggie spent that year under John Long, not Chuck.

Point's still valid, though.

Roy or Rasho start doesn't matter, how about each of them play 2x mins?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rasho, no question.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I like what I'm seeing from Hibbert but I think Rasho still has the starter's chops. If nothing else, Hibbert is still making some rookie mistakes (he got the chair pulled out from him to force a travel last night, for instance), and it's better he get the time to make those out of the spotlight.

I would not, however, object if Roy got more minutes than Rasho.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Deep down I want chicken parm to start, but I don't think he's ready.

I think it's possible to harm a player's career by starting them too early (see Erick Dampier), but I understand the argument for letting someone develop through playing time.

I don't think Roy is as far along as he looks in the preseason. His numbers have been great, but he's behind (imo) where Danny was 3 years ago, and Danny took a while to develop.

Rasho, and trust JOB to know when the time is right to switch.

Mood

Definitely Rasho. I know Roy has played well in preseason, but he has to understand what it means to play the whole 82 games. Maybe after the ASB if he is still putting up these numbers. A good 15-20 mins a night would be good to get the playing experience factor down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It will probably be better for Roy to be the backup until further notice. If he starts looking good when he crosses paths with starters on other teams, then it's time to look at it.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It is the same player in most respects. Its just a shame I'm too stupid to be able to put all those Gtown highlights up on YouTube. Trust me I wouldn't have come around here talking him up if he was just Ruben Boumtje Boumtje. There are some amazing playes by him over his four years at Gtown. Stuff that made the announcers blurt out that Ewing, Mourning and Mutombo did not and could not do what Roy had just done in front of them.

Of course now that Roy is no longer in school he has the chance to concentrate 100% on athletics and conditioning. The difference is a noticeable improvement in quickness. But he was never as slow or as unathletic as people made him out to be. And he always had a high skill level and some good moves.

Gotta go with Rasho as the starter. Most rookies, even good ones, need time before they are ready to start.

Plus the center position usually takes awhile to get used to in the NBA for rooks. That position can get abused in the NBA from the other team, so Rash should start and Hibby gets focused on when comes in with the 2nd team until such a time that we are a legit team, and then we can rethink that.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    'cept Reggie spent that year under John Long, not Chuck.

Point's still valid, though.
    Yes, and agree. Fans need to maintain real expectations and timelines. I'm hearing playoff talk and not the 35 wins back into them kind. I'll admit anything can happen, but what seems likely to happen is yet another 30-35 win rebuild year.

This is the first really forward step to the next phase, though I'd be willing to count the Granger pick as the first baby step. Let's look for Roy and Rush to be making a big impact mid-year 3 which would place Granger as the core star and perhaps TJ as the vet presence ala Jax back in the day with Rush as McKey and Hibbert as Rik, roughly of course and in terms of general roles and dynamics.

In the meantime it should be about smart development, quality ball and getting fans interested in seeing this type of growth rather than promising big wins.

Rasho.
    Preseason isn't the real season of 82 games.
    Roy did well in the PS so far. But he is just a rookie.

Considering what a defensive liability that Murphy is I'd rather have Foster start at center. He's a better defender then Rasho is. I have been impressed with Hibbert thus far but I don't see him as a starter this year.

Rasho, A Vet who shoulden't get called or commit any ticky tacky fouls that disrupts the early season 11-3 win streak...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Banned

I don't think it matters that much. Either way, I see Roy getting 15-25 minutes a game. With his penchant for foul trouble, it's probably better to bring him off the bench as to keep him from piling up the fouls early. Not to mention you don't want to give him too much, too soon. We don't wanna risk complacency.

Until I see Roy play a regular season game I am not going to make any judgments other than he has looked good in preseason. But the list is long of players who "looked good in the preseason" and then never were even decent in the regular season.

I compare it to like going from the regular season to the playoffs - the games are vastly different and a lot of players through the years were good regular seasomn players but struggle in the playoffs.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

As much as I've harped on this general topic, we all know Rasho is an expiring contract one-year rental.

As the season progresses, his minutes need to decrease substantially. I'm much less worried about getting Roy into the rotation and starting lineup than Rush. This team is not going to be very good this year, and Hibbert will be next season's starter. This situation will take care of itself.

Might as well start preparing for it from day one with the idea that, after the trading deadline and the team has even fewer veterans and more draft picks, Roy becomes the starter.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you