Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-season expectations for your team

Hybrid View

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Pre-season expectations for your team

Anyone else getting pumped up for the new season? I know I am!

Someone wanting to make a prediction if they think they will be better or worse this season? If they have had a major dissappointment or great hopes about one or more of their players?

Time to talk about expectations and at the end of the season to reflect on how it played out. I will do mine probably later today.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Default Re: Pre-season expectations for your team

Last year I overachieved dramatically in this league, making the finals, in part with a constant juggling of the lineup to play the guys who happened to have a high-tempo game that would count.

I figure Amare will take a hit without D'Antoni, Brad Miller may slide (never mind missing 5 games for pot), and Jeff Foster's minutes are threatened. But I expect to be in the hunt and I am happy with my new additions. My excel spreadsheet says my ideal lineup can score about 245 assuming last years numbers, but there are many question marks.

I'm more optimistic in the ABA where my excel simulations say I can score in the mid-to-high 230s with enough depth that even if I were to lose my #1 center, my #1 forward, and my #1 guard for the season, I could still fill my minutes and score in the mid 220s.

I have certainly never drafted teams that seemed like they needed so little "fixing" so it feels strange, exciting, and maybe even a little worrisome. Should I be doing something, scouring the waiver wire like I used to do?

Last year was an absolute nightmare season for me. Oden, my most talented player, out for the season, Livingston, out for the season, Haslem out for a major part of the season, Vilanueva not getting nearly the playingtime and shot attempts that could be expected, Shelden Williams strengthening his role as a major bust, Lee losing playingtime, Mo Williams chucking instead of leading his team.

There were few brightpoints. Farmar quietly started putting up modest, but increasing numbers and so was Telfair, while Frye got more playingtime then he normally would get (hurray!!!) due to Oden being out for the season (OUCH!) and Antonio Daniels had one of his better seasons due to Arenas missing so many games.

In the summer I traded Daniels, because he is very slowly getting a little older (and I have maybe the most obvious team that is in total rebuild) and I could see Arenas coming back and cutting in his numbers. I also traded away my second rounder this year and next year, scrapped Livingston, Bellinelli, Fry and Brian Skinner.

I drafted Beasley with the toppick and DJ Augustin with the #13 pick, which I acquired in the Antonio Daniels trade. In the 3rd round I took a flyer on Brewer, who I hope will start "getting it" this season and be more efficient. He's got a lot of competition in Minnie though, but it's a pretty low-risk for a #7 pick if I remember correctly a year ago. I also acquired Young in the Daniels trasde, who I am very much looking forward to seeing this season at forward. I think he could become a pretty good player.

My final move was aquiring Yi Jianlian at the expense of Farmar, which I think was a win-win trade for both teams. This leads to me having a rather unbalanced roster, with a big focus on forwards, but I'm ok with that for this season. Need to start somewhere.

When I look at my roster now and compare it to the last game of the season, then even without the top pick I think my team will be a lot better this year, because both depth and quality have increased quite tremendously. I think my team is probably too young to make the play-offs this year, too many rookies and 2nd year players, but I think I will be able to give some teams a pretty hard time, while last year my team was a total walkover.

Villanueva basically got his starting spot back in Milwaukee, while his rival Yi has a pretty decent chance at major minutes with the Nets, Lee should get more minutes with D'antoni, Oden and Haslem appear to be healthy again.

Over the longrun I expect to see my team grow and hopefully getting better.

In otherwords my team went from: to this offseason.

What will really will happen? We'll see, but I'm looking forward to it... sort of like the Pacers I guess .

Regards,

Mourning
    Last edited by Mourning; 10-17-2008 at 08:53 AM.

I expect to improve.

But I have mixed feelings considering I, too, would have taken Mayo with pick #3, and he seems like he could be the real deal..... unlike that @%()#@% Bargnani.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

It's already been a very busy year for me and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Last year, I was lucky enough to inherit a team that had a number of young players that are just now reaching their prime.

That said, I expect my scoring average to decrease considerably this year, but I certainly still have hopes for my team to compete for the playoffs.

With Hick's team so far above mine, I'm not sure that there will be much of an opportunity to make a "championship move" in personnel. But my team continues to have a number of very big question marks, so I'm going to keep working. I could easily see half my roster changing by this time next year. I just have to hold it together and not make any "knee-jerk" decisions with my young studs for a couple of seasons and see where we are.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

My prior post sounds like I'm a reasonable, patient and careful owner.

Something happened and I just said "**** it."

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

I think my team sucks.

I think I drafted poorly, again, because I didn't !#@$!#@ prepare. (Football season taking all of my time).

I suspect I will be mediocre, at best, again.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

My team will SUCK!

And for that, I have nobody to blame but me.

My goal is to contend in 2010-11 and be back in the finals with a kick-*** team by 11-12. I know exactly how I intend to do that (already have 2 1st rd picks next year, as long as Amir doesn't turn into a monster I'll be OK with that) - now we'll see if I can make it happen.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My team will SUCK!

And for that, I have nobody to blame but me.

My goal is to contend in 2010-11 and be back in the finals with a kick-*** team by 11-12. I know exactly how I intend to do that (already have 2 1st rd picks next year, as long as Amir doesn't turn into a monster I'll be OK with that) - now we'll see if I can make it happen.
    are you my mirror!??? Sounds like a VERY familiar plan

That trade will be on my mind for a few years, Rim.

I just didn't have a *legit* starting power forward, and saw very little chance that I was going to draft one in the first round next season anyway.

Amir's 21, just won a starting job, and is on a team with a number of older bigs that could be shipped off or retired soon, giving him even more responsibility. The temptation was just too great to pass up ... Still, I expect him to take a while. In a couple of years, we'll see how he's doing compared to the players that are available at my 2009 draft position.

The deal will either make me a genius or a total moron.

Being somewhat satisfied with my core allows me the luxury of accepting either fate without much fanfare or regret.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 10-17-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Well I was 23-33 last season when Andre Miller & Kirk Hinrich had off years, Gasol & Varejao were both hurt for awhile.

My 1st rounder, Spencer Hawes, showed promise, more than my last 2 first rounders: JJ Redick & Gerald Green. I draft poorly.

I do manage to pick up guys from the free agent pool that seem to pan out. Josh Boone did well for me last season. Aaron Gray could develope too. Late last season I took a chance on Rudy Fernandez & from what I've heard I got a steal.

I've added a couple more young guys that will take a couple years to hit their stride. Bayless & Spreights.

I traded away Anderson Varejao for Chris Andersen, a long time favorite of mine. It was hard to give up on Varejao but his numbers seem to be tappering off while Birdman is almost perfect for the Nuggets offence.

My guard line up is solid with Kobe, Andre Miller, Hinrich, Fernandez & Bayless. I can live with those 5 until one of them retires & then bring in another rookie to replace him.

I think every forward I have can play center too so I've got my pivot minutes more than covered. The Kings are building their team with Hawes in mind as their center. Gray is the only true center on the Bulls but I'm not sure how Del Negro will use him yet.

As for my forwards, Gasol actually put up better numbers after the trade, a rarity. Usually a players numbers will dip a little. The rest of the guys I have at forward are all bench players: Josh Boone, Chris Andersen, Channing Frye & Marreese Spreights.

I'd like to be around .500 for the year & maybe win a playoff series.

Either address my front court during the season or add another keeper in the draft next year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last year I made a decision to do what it took to win a title in the next 2-3 years. I made some moves that hurt me last year ( like trading Jamison for Gordon), but I figure that Jamison's numbers were only because of Arenas injury. That trade also brought me Travis Outlaw who looks to be ready to play finally (he surprised me greatly last year).

I also traded for Ray Allen because I wanted my Guard rotation to feature somebody other than JRich. In the off season I traded Rafer Alston for Shaq, something that again is geared towards beating what was Rimfire and is now Hicks this year.

So you could say that I want to win now. With Shaq/Sheed/Dirk/Melo/ and Outlaw my front court is the strongest it has ever been. But it will not be this strong for much beyond this year. Shaq and Sheed are aging and will not be nearly as effective next year. Dirk and Melo are great and will give me the best forward Tandem in the league, and Outaw is a nice 3rd forward.

My backcourt is a whole different matter. JRich will be consistant as ever. Between Ray and Ben I hope to have a Guard that will match JRich's production. If I have one I will be good, if I have two (since Ben has something to prove) than I will be great.

Looking into the future I think I made two great picks with Robin Lopez, and Anthony Randolph. Add Acie Law to the mix and it is my hope that those three can step up their production in future years as Shaq, Sheed, and Ray go into the sunset.
    Last edited by DrBadd01; 10-17-2008 at 07:49 PM.

I really like this thread and it's why I like keeper league so much. It's both interesting and useful in trade negotiations to see what guys are trying to do with their teams and their long range plans.

James: Picking up Fernandez late season last year was a great move. The organization is hyped about him, he's a talent and you know he's going to be featured. It's like you got an extra draft pick. Man, if Splitter had stayed, too...phew! And I'm telling you Speights is gonna be a beast to add to your fleet of centers.

Hicks, for what it's worth, I think Bargnani is finally going to show his stuff this year. I truly believe that. Now whether shuttling him between C, PF and SF will hurt him or not, I dunno, but I think this is his year. It was a good pick. Just took patience with him. Not that it matters for you now.

Dr. Badd: Shaq is going to frustrate you, make no mistake, but man, that guy, even at this age, has brought me more wins, when he's playing, that I had no business winning. He was instrumental in putting me on a season ending 7 game win streak going into the playoffs. Just remember, as you well know, late season, he turns it on.

Mourning: You had two KILLER first picks. I was torn for my first pick. I thought there was NO way DJ and Brook Lopez would be available to me and I agonized over who to pick, cause I figured you'd grab one of the two after me. Excellent core guys to build around. I can see you changing half your roster by next year, too, and that's okay. You've set the stage for some real strength in the years to come if you make some smart roster moves.

Pacertom: Weird feeling being content with your roster, isn't it. I feel that way in the ABA and it makes me nervous.

DK: You know I'll be watching your moves. I wonder if McGrady for you is going to be my last year's Shaq. I like the overall age of your squad. No old flotsom and the majority of your guys are aggressive types of players.

As for me, I thought the draft was weird. I had to throw my draft sheet out the window. I was shocked as hell to see the two guys who dropped down to me, Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez and I had a chance to take DJ Augustin, too. I don't like drafting rookies, but those guys seem so NBA ready, I think it ups my team's viability quite a bit. Both guys will start and I think will be impact players not just in our league, but the NBA in general.

My goal, starting last year, was to get my old team younger. Trading away Shaq has essentially netted me Gasol as his replacement. I can live with that.

I was so geeked about the draft, it was unreal. I did a ridiculous amount of research, starting months ago. I kept up with several forums, other than our own, to get the buzz on certain players and had a stack of reports about 2 inchs think on all the players. With two first round picks, and being late round, I knew I had to be smart.

I think I'll do about the same this year as last year. I'm hoping to grab division champ, and optimistically, get to at least the second round of the playoffs. Since I'm such a waiver wire freak, I figure I'll shed off a couple of my older players in time for a playoff run with some surprise young guys.

I wish I could say I'm happy with my team, but I think I have a year or two before I can become a serious threat again. Losing Krstic and Childress to Europe hurt more than you would believe. Whereas Joe Smith and Grant Hill were supposed to be my backups and insurance for Nenad and Josh, now I have to actually rely on them for scoring. Didn't see that coming.

Regardless, this league provides me with more fun than you can imagine and now that I can actually access it from work again, I'm looking forward to the new season.

And to sound like a total cornball, what's made this league fun are you guys, really and truly.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 10-17-2008 at 10:25 PM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post

Dr. Badd: Shaq is going to frustrate you, make no mistake, but man, that guy, even at this age, has brought me more wins, when he's playing, that I had no business winning. He was instrumental in putting me on a season ending 7 game win streak going into the playoffs. Just remember, as you well know, late season, he turns it on.
    That is one reason I drafted Robin Lopez. "Shaq Insurance", that and the guy really does remind me of a mixture of Foster, and Anderson Verijao, two of my favorite players. I recently saw him play some pre-season ball and he was all over the place. 2 or 3 blocks in the first couple of minutes on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    I

DK: You know I'll be watching your moves. I wonder if McGrady for you is going to be my last year's Shaq. I like the overall age of your squad. No old flotsom and the majority of your guys are aggressive types of players.
    Well, there's one. I'll give him until January or so though. I still think he has enough game to get back to being a 1 FPPM player if he gets his head on straight and gets PT. If he does, hopefully somebody will need a good guard.

I am looking forward to seeing how my team will do. I expect i will be able to be competitive. I will devise a plan as I go and see how it turns out.

What am I missing? It shows McGrady on mista chill's team?

My team, Enigma Enigma, that’s all i can say,

I have the talent, I draft well, i just can’t seem to get the higher FPM out of my players..

C - Andrew Bogut (MIL)
    CF - Dwight Howard (ORL)
    F - Andrei Kirilenko (UTA)
    F - Al Harrington (GSW)
    FG - Richard Hamilton (DET)

G - Rodney Stuckey (DET)
    G - Russell Westbrook (OKL)
    G - Jarrett Jack (IND)
    G - Courtney Lee (ORL)

FG - Mike Dunleavy (IND)
    GF - Bobby Simmons (NJN)
    C - Hamed Haddadi (MEM)
    CF - Fabricio Oberto (SAS)

But I’m hoping this is the year to make some damage, if I’m not mistaken i just sneaked in the to the playoffs where i lose 3-1 but baring one massive game by Areanas i think where he scored like 40 points and knocked me out..

With the team I have and the two new draft picks fixing my Guard Problems from yesteryear I have high hopes

I still miss Bynum but the trade was the right thing to do, i just don’t get Sloan, dude play AK or trade him, he’s needed for my team, his Blocks n steals are what i need

I have high hopes for both Stuckey and Jack, and after this preseason I am in love with Westbrook from the stats i have seen and I hope he goes close to getting ROY for my team..

Bogut, Howard and Kirilenko are my Center Forward Dream Team

Stuckey, Westbrook, Hamilton are my Guards

I am hoping Simmons finally replays my loyalty to him and scores me some FPM and I might be looking to trade Dunleavey, Simmons and or Hamilton later this year for some C Help depending on how Haddadi plays, dam give the big man some PT Coach

In General I am pleased with the progress of my team, I am just seeking that Higher FPM that i just can’t seem to get, my team is full of stars but only has one real Superstar and that properly hurts me

I’m excited about this year tho, hands down, this season should be awesome
    On that note I wish all the other teams luck and look forward to some trade talk until the trading deadline

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

My team is, to quote William Shakespeare, poopy.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Thought it would be interesting to bump this thread and have people look back at their expectations or comment on how your season went.

On my part, I think it's weird my season went almost exactly as I predicted. So, how did your team fare based on your expectations?

(Also check back on sports.ws. They have a Draft Analysis on the first page that's kind interesting)
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 03-25-2009 at 10:30 AM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

My prediction was:

My team will SUCK!
    The result was:

My team SUCKED!

Though I wasn't completely unhappy with how things went. After starting 3-28 I won 11 of my last 25 - hardly "break up the team" numbers but my scoring average also went from about 185 to 195 during that stretch.

Plus my team is young - I think the oldest player will be 24 when the season starts.

Plus Hicks didn't leave a bare cupboard. Rondo and Durant both have a lot of promise. And for my newbies, I'm thrilled to have gotten Randolph, Mayo MAY turn out very good, Aaron Brooks has had his moments, Hickson shows promise. Heck - even Bargnani's numbers have been much beter since JO left town.

With 2 1st-rd picks I have enough to build on.

While my team didn't go as far as I had hoped they would I know that they were capable of it. I just ran into a freight train in the form of Scott's team. I averaged 250/game during my only playoff series;that tells you how hot (though I prefer the term lucky) Scott was. This fact is proven in the combined average of the scores Las Vegas put up in the following series. I would of beaten Venice if Scott didn't get hot(lucky).

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    While my team didn't go as far as I had hoped they would I know that they were capable of it. I just ran into a freight train in the form of Scott's team. I averaged 250/game during my only playoff series;that tells you how hot (though I prefer the term lucky) Scott was. This fact is proven in the combined average of the scores Las Vegas put up in the following series. I would of beaten Venice if Scott didn't get hot(lucky).
    I don't mean to split hairs here, but your post made me curious, so I looked it up.

GAME 1 (NBA Game 62)
    Cedar City - 231 -- WIN
    Venice - 174
    http://hoops.sports.ws/league/displa...am1=9&team2=17

GAME 2 (NBA Game 63)
    Cedar City - 214.8
    Venice - 283 -- WIN

GAME 3 (NBA Game 64)
    Cedar City - 270.6 -- WIN
    Venice - 247.3

GAME 4 (NBA Game 65)
    OVERTIME
    Cedar City - 210.9
    Venice - 215.9 -- WIN

GAME 5 (NBA Game 66)
    Cedar City - 237.5
    Venice - 276.1 -- WIN

GAME 6 (NBA Game 67)
    Cedar City - 218.7
    Venice - 225 -- WIN

If you had won the OT in game 4, you would have beaten me in 7 games. But I won the OT in game 4, and (would have) beat you in 6.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 03-26-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Overall I'm quite content with how my team did. I expected a bit more out of Oden, but centers do take more time to develop.

Anyway, I made a lot of changes to my team starting at the end of last season and that has continued during the season. Trading Haslem, Sefolosha (who I had picked up) and Young and aquiring an extra pick, Redd and Alexander.

I'm pretty happy with how my team stands now going into the summer with two first rounders, one of the youngest teams and definitely well on the way up.

I balanced my roster a bit, reducing the number of forwards and adding some quality to my very weak guard slot. This all doesn't mean I'm standing pat from now on. I still have a couple of needs and I have a few players who, however nice they are, could very well be on the way out because they don't fit my strategic plans.

Didn't end anywhere near the play-offs. Then again I will get a decent pick this summer and to me it seems the competition for those last spots has increased quite some and will continue to do so in the Western Conference.

It's going to be a long, but entertaining summer, I'm sure.

Regards,

Mourning

fair enough. I still think that I would of been more competition. Besides that is presuming that I would have kept my lineup in the same order. Since Scott beat me I didn't have any reason to change my lineup around.
    Last edited by DrBadd01; 03-26-2009 at 06:25 PM.