Thread: Back online... my all-time favorite quote from DW

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Back online... my all-time favorite quote from DW

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/walsh_draft_history.html

In Walsh’s Words: “We were sitting at four, with Golden State at three and New York at five. Now, New York liked Chuck and I was afraid they were going to trade with Golden State, and I knew Golden State wanted to take a big man. So when they asked me what I was going to do, I told ‘em I was going to go big. Whether it was exactly for that reason or not, they didn’t trade. But I put it out there that I was going for a big guy and when I took Chuck, everybody said I lied - and I did. If you’re going to lie, lie in your first one because then if you tell the truth, they're never sure. I think that pick got me started off as a GM the right way because we picked a guy who would become Rookie of the Year and we made the playoffs for just the second time in the NBA history of the franchise.”
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Back online... my all-time favorite quote from DW

and the master is doing it again.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Which means no McGrady?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Which means no McGrady?
    No. The beauty of Walsh-speak is that everybody can hear him say the exact same cliche and swear that it supports thier belief. Or if it directly refutes thier belief, they can just say he's bluffing.

Which means no McGrady?
    No. The beauty of Walsh-speak is that everybody can hear him say the exact same cliche and swear that it supports thier belief. Or if it directly refutes thier belief, they can just say he's bluffing.

So is he just increasing the trade value so that he can get someone else he has in mind?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I was thinking just that, Suaveness. How happy would you be now to have a very good sg for a lot less, rather than T-Mac for too much?

Which means no McGrady?

So is he just increasing the trade value so that he can get someone else he has in mind?
    So is he just increasing the trade value [Trying to, yes]

so that he can get someone else he has in mind? [Maybe, maybe not. Don't forget we were the rumored favorites in the Sprewell derby for the entire lockout. And we found out after the fact the DW (who allegedly would offer Jalen and Dale) was just trying to make sure that Miami or NYK overpaid for Spree. Although that backfired on us during the next season's playoffs so I don't think DW's is necessarily going to try that again - at least not *obviously* ].

I get the impression that if we don't get him, Donnie is spiking the well and salting the earth as he leaves (i.e. driving the price so high that it severely hurts whomever gets him.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Walsh has been "open" about making moves. I think the bottom line is that yes, moves should be made, but no, the Pacers are not going to make moves just for the sake of making moves (i.e. "a deal that makes sense" - the Pacers are not going to get screwed in the process of trying to improve the team).

Face it, the Pacers have a good deal of young, desirable talent. Harrington, Artest, Bender, Jones, Tinsley, Foster (JO is untouchable of course unless we're talking a Duncan or Garnett swap hah). Half of those guys might not be around if the right deal can be made this summer. If one can't be made, I don't have a "real" problem starting next season with the roster we have although I would rather see Jones playing the majority of SG minutes (even if Reggie must start for whatever reason).

I was thinking just that, Suaveness. How happy would you be now to have a very good sg for a lot less, rather than T-Mac for too much?
    My sentiments exactly. No way does DW allow the Pacers to be pillaged for McGrady. No way. He's got something else in mind. And if we do get McGrady, it will be on his terms. A 2 for 1. But I can't see the Pacers taking on that kind of salary.