Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attendance Prediction Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Attendance Prediction Thread

I know that we've sort of talked this issue to death on this forum, but I was curious as to what the local fans expect attendance to be like for the Pacers this year.

Obviously, it can't get much worse, and the team has poured money into PR this summer and really done, in my opinion, an excellent job trying to rehabilitate this franchise. But it does take a little bit of time for fans to really catch onto these sort of actions.

So where do you think the Pacers will rank in attendance this year? Dead last again or is it going to get better?

Personally I think it's not really inconceivable that we won't at least start out last in the league...again. The two teams right above us, Memphis and OKC, should get boosts in attendance this year. OKC, because of the move, and Memphis because of getting Mayo and pairing that with the young talent they have. So we're really going to have to compete to move up in the attendance rankings.

If we finish the year something like 22nd, that would be a huge success IMHO.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default Re: Attendance Prediction Thread

Probably last again... but if the team makes some noise and gets into the playoffs the outlook for next year gets much better.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Mood

Last, worse than last year, until at least January, at which point, if we're projected to win more than 41 games, it will improve slightly.

I will join in on the call saying that they will begin the season at the bottom. If the team looks competative then you will probably see a slight increase in attendance. However there are several factors that will affect the attendance.

On the positive front let's say that Roy begins the year with a R.O.Y. like performance and we are not only competative but are actually winning I could see a decent increase by mid season.

Like was stated ending up at 22 in attendance has to be considered a huge victory.

I honestly don't think it will get worse than last season because let's face it the only people in the building on most nights were people who are going to be there no matter what.

Since we have had a management change and a new philosophy towards player acccountability I don't think it will sink any lower than that. I would not say that if we had the same old "we can't do anything until the justice system works" mentality we had from the last management.

I know many people are going to look at the attendance and complain that it did no good to trade away good players because people will only supporta winner. To a point that is true, there will not be a great spike in attendance until we make some playoff noise.

However they have at least got the locals back to apathy. That may not sound like much but believe me this time last year it wasn't apathy, it was hatred.

I'm rambling.

To answer the question I will say this. Barring a miracle 60 win season with Danny being the leading MVP candidate I will say we will end the season in the bottom 3 in attendance.

will be worse than last year imho and getting rid of troubled players and guys giving their everything on the court won't do enough to get the fans back to the seats.our attendance won't go up unless we start winning.

I expect attendance to be down league wide. Some teams are recession proof Lakers, Knicks and Bulls. We need 50+ wins to get above 20. Bottom 3 is most likely.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With the economy going downhill the Pacers will not increase their attendance, however the NBA as a whole will decrease.

It is hard to predict what impact the economy will have in other cities. I would look for Memphis to maybe be lower than the Pacers. Just a guess. But I'll predict the pacers will be last in attendance and average a few hundred fewer per game. This is assuming a to be expected season - winning between 34-40 games, almost making the playoffs.

Should be fewer no shows though

Hopefully it stays at or above the point where maintaining a franchise is possible.

I think it's going to depend on the kind of showing we have up to the end of the year. I have serious doubts about us finishing last in the league. I look for a surprising jump after the first of the year.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Dead last with serious concerns about the teams ability to stay in Indianapolis.

No, I'm not kidding!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Here is a link to the attendance figures from last season. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Just kind of rambling on here.

The Sonics moving to Oklahoma city will mean a net increase there for sure. Cities like Philly and Atlanta should see inreases. I read that Utah is basically sold out for the year. New orleans because their team is so good will be up. Rockets sales are up over last season. Portland's is up - although they were sold out almost every game last season. Orlando I read is up. I'm sure, lakers, Pistons, Celtics, Cavs, Bulls, Mavs, Spurs, Suns will basically stay the same as sold out.

I see Memphis dropping quite a bit, along with Charlotte, Milwaukee, Minnesota, maybe Sacramento, New jersey, Miami - but that is probably it.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-16-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I honestly like the extra leg room, but I do wish that something good will happen.

It will be bad to start the year, but I can see it being pretty good in 2009 as long as we at least tread water around .500. (Pretty good compared to last year...not League average. Maybe like 14,500-15,000.)

People are going to love TJ...kids especially.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 10-16-2008 at 04:11 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dead last with serious concerns about the teams ability to stay in Indianapolis.

No, I'm not kidding!

I give you brass for saying what some feel, but others won't dare think or say.

13k over the course of the season...stronger attendance later in the year.

I just don't see a reason to believe we'll be higher than dead last. All that talk about people not attending because of off court incidents was really just talk in my opinion. People will come to see a contender, and they won't otherwise.

I'm not sure that paid tickets will increase over last year, especially early, but I bet butts in the seats will slowly be better.

These last few years there were comped tickets floating around that went unused. As long as the team is likable and looks like they are building toward a light at the end of the tunnel curiosity will get some of those tix used again.

TPTB let this team spiral to some dark places before finally making a change. It's not something that can be repaired overnight. It's going to take players and management showing the fans some real continued commitment to getting the dark past behind them.

It's going to take a while just to let the casual fans know we've dumped the bad eggs and (hopefully) have players that care about Pacer basketball.

If ownership is not committed to staying in Indy then Gnome is right... because you cannot repair the damage that was done to this franchise by the mismanagement of the past few seasons overnight.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I give you brass for saying what some feel, but others won't dare think or say.
    What gives me cause for concern is that in the NBA of the late 80's and very early 90's, it was somewhat acceptable to have teams drawing 8k or 9k a game. I just have a feeling that the days of that are long gone. We had great guys during this time, we played .500 ball during the early 90's during Bob Hill's tenure as coach, and we had the Big Brown curtains masking at least 4,000 empty seats in an arena that seated a little over 16,000 people. I'm not going to hammer on the local fans, like I usually do, but it is what it is.

Central Indiana is not going to support a .500 team with no major drawing card.

I believe, for now... our ownership is strong enough to weather the storm of our fan base, but Herb and Mel are not spring chickens. My concern is not now, but 5 to 10 years from now. I fear that if this team goes thru a decade like the 80's where the best we can do is .500. Making the play-offs twice or maybe three times. The locals will just view the team as a "laughing stock" and not be caught dead here. Before you label me a kook, remember, it happened before.

Heck, I haven't even mentioned David Simon. What if he is not interested in taking on ownership from his father. I'd be lying if I told you this doesn't worry me and shake me to my core.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

While diehards are trying to find any excuse to love this team (Hibbert and Rush will compete for ROY, Ford staying healthy, JO gone, Dunleavy and Granger improving), I am not for sure the general public holds the same enthusiasm. With the economy in shambles, I would expect that attendance is not going to improve.

FYI, add the Portland Trailblazers as teams that should sellout the reg season. For the three preseason games, they all drew over 19k.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post

Central Indiana is not going to support a .500 team with no major drawing card.
    Indianapolis/Indiana fans are terrible. Before last week, Colts tickets on places like StubHub, the prices dropped close to face value. This Monday I checked, and they were up again.

This really shows that when our teams win, there is a demand. I honestly don't think that the economy plays much of a factor in sporting events, because there are still NFL and MLB stadiums fillinng up to capacity night after night, week after week.

The key is that we need to win. This team needs to get to the playoffs.

Do those figures include promotions and company seats or are they paid grand stand seats.
    Sales or Attendance can be a big difference, heck I’d go to watch Premier League Squash if i got given good tickets..

I am properly more annoyed with the low percentage rather then the low actual number 66.6% is rather sad.

I'd like to see it higher but hey..
    The Economy is crap right now and if everyone has DirecTV i can't see it going up much, but sitting around 14-15K would be nice

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Indianapolis/Indiana fans are terrible.
    I absolutely hate this argument. No - let me rephrase that - I detest this argument. Indianapolis/Indiana fans are no different than any other fans in this country. You win people come, you lose people don't. And if you don't believe the economy affects sports and the ability for fans and ESPECIALLY families to attend you're kidding yourself. This beating down of Indy fans is growing terribly, terribly old.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    I absolutely hate this argument. No - let me rephrase that - I detest this argument. Indianapolis/Indiana fans are no different than any other fans in this country. You win people come, you lose people don't. And if you don't believe the economy affects sports and the ability for fans and ESPECIALLY families to attend you're kidding yourself. This beating down of Indy fans is growing terribly, terribly old.
    Eh, most people I know are the first to sit in a seat when something is going right, but they bail when something doesn't go the way it's supposed to. I don't like that and I see it.

I'm sorry if it ruffles your feathers, but I don't comment on something if I don't see it.

I understand how you feel, and a lot of other fans are like that, but it seems like our fans have less patience since we are so used to having winning/good teams.

I do think Indy is one of the cities that doesn't have great support for professional sports, but there may be some reasons. One is that the city is quite a bit smaller than some....but there are other reasons.

First, Indy is not the home for many large corporations that purchase suites and the like and send large numbers of employees to company events. Second, the metro area is very conservative and more focused on raising families and saving for college than spending big bucks to see men play a game. Third, there is more than our fair share of university sports in the state with Notre Dame, IU, Purdue, Butler, etc. The amateur sports and high school sports are also huge here...and less expensive of course. Indy also has many fans of Chicago and Cincinnati teams. I know I've spent a lot more money going to Reds games over the years than Colts games, for example. Sorry!

Edit: btw, I am not saying the fans are terrible. It's just the circumstances of Indianapolis versus other locales....and to be sure, the Hawks had to sit the cleaning crew a few years ago to show any people on TV....and Atlanta is much larger...
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 10-16-2008 at 09:08 PM.