Thread: Rasho and Hibbert together

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Rasho and Hibbert together

Is there a scenario where Rasho and Hibbert could play together on the floor? Why or why not?

Houston had the twin towers.

My yearning is obvious. When was the last time we had two bigs on the floor who were basically decent at both offense AND defense?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rasho and Hibbert together

I think there are definitely some scenarios. Especially if getting a defensive stop is the sole purpose of a play. I have not seen enough from either of them though to determine whether or not they could play for an extended period of time together. The only reason being whether they can both get up and down the court quick enough.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

I play with them together all game long on 2k9

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When was the last time we had two bigs on the floor who were basically decent at both offense AND defense?
    Brad Miller & JO?

I guess you could play them together. The speed issue has already been mentioned. You could never do it against a team with quick bigs like Detroit. Johnson and Wallace would eat us alive in transition. You could also never do it against a team with a small ball type PF like Marion or Jamison.

I just really don't see it being a feasable possibility.

We just need to look toward the future and be realistic. Rasho's the starter and he'll get 25 mpg this year. Roy will back him up at 10-15 mpg. Foster will pick up the rest. Next year, Rasho will be gone and hopefully Hibbert can move into the starting role with Foster backing him up. All the while, we're out looking for our PF of the future.

One thing I wanted to see during the Chicago game (and we got close to this in the 4th quarter) was a lineup of Jack, Rush, Granger, McRoberts, and Hibbert. I was just imagining that lineup with someone saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, your future Indiana Pacers!" I'm not exactly sold on Jack and McRoberts as the PG and PF of the future, but I don't think it's a totally ridiculous proposition to think that could be our starting lineup in 2 years, and if Granger, Rush, and Hibbert develop like many think they could, it could be a pretty good one.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

If we are starting Jack and McRoberts; we are playing for lottery balls. I am not sold at all on Jack. He is a career backup in the NBA. McRoberts is an energy player, that shoots poorly from the outside. Troy Murphy & Ford are going to be a great combo. Look for Murphy to get the balk of minutes at the 4 spot this year w/Foster as his backup.

A more likely scenerio of two bigs playing a lot together this year is Foster and Hibbert.

I've thought about this, you could go uber small and super big with this team.

I hope not

DD and Smits did pretty good together for a long time.

Yeah, those two could definately be called "twin towers".
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 10-14-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post

Agreed.

I could see these two playing side-by-side, but I don't want to do anything just yet. I want to see Hibbert's level of consistency first.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've actually thought about this scenario as well.

Our center spot appears to be better than initially expected, especially if Roy continues his pace of improvement. You've got to think he'll hit the rookie wall at some point, though.

Our 4 spot is pretty bad, just loaded with back-ups, but it could be worse.

Our 3, 2, and 1 spots all look solid.

On paper, this should be a playoff team this year, and an above .500 one at that. But I'm just not convinced that JOB is the right coach for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post

Well, the difference here is the DD was a classic PF, while Smits was a classic C, both complementing each other. Smits was strong on offense and weak on defense, Dale was the opposite. I really don't think this pairing is analogous to Rasho and Roy.

Both Hibbert and Rasho are natural Centers. They could play together, but they'd probably get in each other's way. It strikes me as a bad idea, primarily because you won't be able to optimize either player's performance...or, at best, you'll optimize one of them, but really hurt the other by forcing him to play out of position.

I don't quite understand why everyone is so down on Murph. He averaged 12 pts, 7 rbs, 2 asts per game. Our main scoring is going to come from the 1,2 and 3 spot, so Murph doesn't have to score 15-20 pts per game in order to win. I think his scoring average will increase with Ford on the floor getting him wide open looks, especially if they play some pick and pop. He's overpaid, not an outstanding defender, but I think his is more than capable of being our fourth scoring option.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post

One thing I wanted to see during the Chicago game (and we got close to this in the 4th quarter) was a lineup of Jack, Rush, Granger, McRoberts, and Hibbert. I was just imagining that lineup with someone saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, your future Indiana Pacers!" I'm not exactly sold on Jack and McRoberts as the PG and PF of the future, but I don't think it's a totally ridiculous proposition to think that could be our starting lineup in 2 years, and if Granger, Rush, and Hibbert develop like many think they could, it could be a pretty good one.

Curious as to why you couldn't see TJ as PG of the future, considering he is actually the same age as Granger. I like Jack but I think of him as more of a "quality role player".

Mcroberts I don't know. I like what I saw out of him in the two games, he is quick and athletic, and he played with a lot of hustle. He seems to have a lot of skills, but he needs more of a killer instinct or something. Very passive offensively. In high school he was considered one of the top players in the country and might have been a lottery pick coming out... you have to imagine the potential could maybe be there. He is pretty young afterall. Seems like he needs to put some more muscle on that frame too, might improve his rebounding.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Curious as to why you couldn't see TJ as PG of the future, considering he is actually the same age as Granger. I like Jack but I think of him as more of a "quality role player".
    That is an interesting question. It's probably because Ford's worn out his welcome with two teams already, and I've always assumed that we wouldn't resign him when his contract's up in two years. I like Ford a lot as a player, and I'd have no problem watching him as the Pacers PG for the next 5 years or so.

I see Jack the same way that you do right now. However, I don't like to think that players can't improve. If he develops better handles and a more consistent outside shot, he changes from quality role player to quality starting PG.

McRoberts is a very unique player. He is skilled and athletic and plays with both smarts and energy. I think the problem he ran into at Duke was that he doesn't not have the "star" mentality. He's never the kind of guy that's going to be able to carry a team. He's also interesting from a developmental standpoint because he can go in a couple of different directions. If you try to force him to bulk up and become a "classic PF", you run the risk of compromising his athletcism and not taking advantage of his ball-handling and passing skills. If you encourage him to become a perimeter PF like Murphy or Antoine Walker, you turn him into the type of player that many on this board refer to as "gimmicky". I'd like to see him add a few pounds of muscle, develop two go-to post moves and a consistent mid-range jumpshot. He'll never be great player, but I do believe he could be a contributing member of a very good team either by being paired with a dominant center or by being the first big man off the bench.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I hope to see it when the Pacers play Toronto.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Both Hibbert and Rasho are natural Centers. They could play together, but they'd probably get in each other's way. It strikes me as a bad idea, primarily because you won't be able to optimize either player's performance...or, at best, you'll optimize one of them, but really hurt the other by forcing him to play out of position.
    Yeah, that's where I'm at as well.

I'd be curious, though, to see more Hibbert/McBob together. I saw them from some highlights, but haven't actually seen a minute of gametime yet.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    That is an interesting question. It's probably because Ford's worn out his welcome with two teams already, and I've always assumed that we wouldn't resign him when his contract's up in two years. I like Ford a lot as a player, and I'd have no problem watching him as the Pacers PG for the next 5 years or so.

I see Jack the same way that you do right now. However, I don't like to think that players can't improve. If he develops better handles and a more consistent outside shot, he changes from quality role player to quality starting PG.

McRoberts is a very unique player. He is skilled and athletic and plays with both smarts and energy. I think the problem he ran into at Duke was that he doesn't not have the "star" mentality. He's never the kind of guy that's going to be able to carry a team. He's also interesting from a developmental standpoint because he can go in a couple of different directions. If you try to force him to bulk up and become a "classic PF", you run the risk of compromising his athletcism and not taking advantage of his ball-handling and passing skills. If you encourage him to become a perimeter PF like Murphy or Antoine Walker, you turn him into the type of player that many on this board refer to as "gimmicky". I'd like to see him add a few pounds of muscle, develop two go-to post moves and a consistent mid-range jumpshot. He'll never be great player, but I do believe he could be a contributing member of a very good team either by being paired with a dominant center or by being the first big man off the bench.

I agree with your assement of Mcroberts. I see his "ceiling" as maybe a solid starter (if paired with better players) or 1st big off the bench. I almost think working on perimeter skills might be a good direction for him. If he could model his offensive game off Murphy and work on his shooting... he would be like a more mobile Troy Murphy that plays good defense. Which sounds like a good player to me. Obrien's ideal 4. That could work playing next to a guy like Hibbert.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 10-14-2008 at 03:49 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports