Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eddie doesn't report?

Default Eddie doesn't report?

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700022576

No word from Jones on his intentions

Eddie Jones did not join the Pacers for Sunday's practice in Conseco Fieldhouse and is not expected to meet them Monday in Memphis. It's uncertain if the 36-year-old veteran acquired Friday from Dallas in the Shawne Williams will report at all.

"He was in a situation that he wasn't in Dallas' camp," said O'Brien. "We would like him in our camp and we would like him on our team unless he decides he doesn't want to play. And then that's something that Larry (Bird) and his agent are going to have to talk about. We anticipate seeing where he is and getting him up here."

Does O'Brien believe Jones could help the Pacers?

"Until I'm told differently, that's my viewpoint," said the coach. "My anticipation is that we just made a trade and we got a player in the trade and we expect any player we trade for to report. If they don't, then there's an issue. But I'm expecting him to be here and to play. That's my expectation. We expect him in here unless he decides to not be in here an then that's out of my hands and it comes down to his agent and our management."

When the Mavericks were hammering out the details of the trade that would bring Jason Kidd from the Nets last February, Jones' name was mentioned in the deal. At that time, Jones said he would refuse to report to New Jersey if dealt. "There is no next stop for me," he told The Dallas Morning News. "I'll go home."

Jones has been bothered by a hamstring injury through training camp and the early stages of the preseason.

The Pacers also received two second-round picks from Dallas, the 2009 selection and either the 2010 or 2011 choices; the option belongs to the Mavs.

What happens if he doesn't?

Default Re: Eddie doesn't report?

I wonder what's gonna happen.

Mood

Good question.

Assuming he doesn't want to be a Pacer, here's my thoughts.

Best case: we waive him and somebody claims him off waivers.

Next-best case: we buy him out and save a bit.

Worst case: we cut him and pay him his full salary, using up the money we got from Mark Cuban.

None of those possibilities upset me.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

If he does not report, then we are required to pay him...right? if so, then he shouldnt count against our cap?
    Bambam

Follow me on Twitter @http://twitter.com/brockhubble

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he does not report, then we are required to pay him...right? if so, then he shouldnt count against our cap?
    Why should we pay him if he doesn't report or retires? Let the Simons keep their money.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Why should we pay him if he doesn't report or retires? Let the Simons keep their money.

Sorry bud, meant to say "not" required
    Bambam

Follow me on Twitter @http://twitter.com/brockhubble

Guaranteed means guaranteed. The only way we don't pay him is if he is waived and claimed, I believe.

I wonder what happens now.

Saying "he has until 5 p.m. on Sunday to report" makes it sound like there may be consequences, but what could they possibly be?

A trade isn't complete until physicals are passed, right?

Mood

I think it's a serious problem in the NBA if a player can opt to not even show up after he's traded yet the team expecting him is left writing him checks while he's hurting them. Surely there's SOMETHING positive for that team in this scenario.

Does guaranteed mean that a player who signs a 5 year $50M can decide he doesn't want to play or report to a new team and just go home? I don't know that any contract works that way.

Guaranteed contracts in the NBA work that way.

There may be some fines available, but nothing like he's making, and nothing that would come off the cap.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From the Collective Bargaining Agreement -- Wouldn't the reasonable discipline cited in the last line be forfeiture of any salary coming to the guy?

I know I'm in over my head here.

ARTICLE VI: PLAYER CONDUCT

INDEX
    Section 1. General
    Section 2. Practices
    Section 3. Promotional Appearances
    Section 4. Mandatory Programs
    Section 5. Media Training and Business of Basketball
    Section 6. Charitable Contributions
    Section 7. Unlawful Violence
    Section 8. Counseling for Violent Misconduct
    Section 9. Firearms
    Section 10. One Penalty
    Section 11. League Investigations
    Section 12. On-Court Conduct
    Section 13. Motor Vehicles

Section 1. General
    In addition to any other rights a Team or the NBA may have by contract (including but not limited to the rights set forth in paragraphs 9 and 16 of the Uniform Player Contract) or by law, when a player fails or refuses, without proper and reasonable cause or excuse, to render the services required by a Player Contract or this Agreement, or when a player is, for proper cause, suspended by his Team or the NBA in accordance with the terms of such Contract or this Agreement, the Current Base Compensation payable to the player for the year of the Contract during which such refusal or failure and/or suspension occurs may be reduced (or, in the case of a suspension, shall be reduced) by 1/110th of the player’s Base Compensation for each missed Exhibition, Regular Season or Playoff game.

Section 2. Practices.
    (a) When a player, without proper and reasonable excuse, fails to attend a practice session scheduled by his Team, he shall be subject to the following discipline: (i) for the first missed practice during a Season -- $2,500; (ii) for the second missed practice during such Season -- $5,000; (iii) for the third missed practice during such Season -- $7,500; and (iv) for the fourth (or any additional) missed practice during such Season -- such discipline as is reasonable under the circumstances.

(b) Notwithstanding Section 2(a) above, when a player, without proper and reasonable excuse, refuses or intentionally fails to attend any practice session scheduled by his Team, he shall be subject to such discipline as is reasonable under the circumstances.

If he won't report he won't get paid. A contract is for services rendered, no service = breach of contract. Best case scenario for us is to buy him out for 500,000 or so. This would make the trade complete and give him his freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    If he won't report he won't get paid. A contract is for services rendered, no service = breach of contract. Best case scenario for us is to buy him out for 500,000 or so. This would make the trade complete and give him his freedom.
    The culture in the nba does suggest that players expect to be paid without services rendered. Reminds me of the way some big CEOs think.

He's probably gonna retire.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

We'll waive him. We'll pay him. Just as initially reported.

I don't know why you guys would be surprised that Jones will get paid. If an NFL player holds out from training camp, he still gets paid. And that's not even all guaranteed.

Hell, come to think about it, Tinsley is getting paid to sit on his butt. There's no difference.

Sports Logo

Cut him, waive him, buy him a bus ticket back to Dallas.....whatever....I don't really care....I want to choose the best option that allows us to save the most $$$.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I'm glad he didn't show up and hope he doesn't show up. This team has been through major surgery, through the IC ward and on the way to recovery. Eddie 's nothing more than a bandaid. He is not a part of our future and as such should not be a part of our present either.

And this is the first and last time I mention it, but that's the way I feel about Croshere, too.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers View Post
    Hell, come to think about it, Tinsley is getting paid to sit on his butt. There's no difference.
    Tinsley reports and pouts. Jones isn't even reporting. That's the difference. If a player refuses to honor his contract that is breach of contract. I can't imagine any contract being worth the paper it's written on if the player can ignore it BUT still get paid.

If an NFL player holds out for a new contract and doesn't report to training camp, IF the team actually cares about keeping him, then paying him for missed time might be part of the carrot they offer to get him to end the hold out and/or accept their counter offer. Again, you're talking a situation where both parties are ultimately wanting to be in an agreement.

Tinsley might not want to be a Pacer, but not badly enough to forfeit his contract or blatantly breach it.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Only argument for him at this point in his career is the veteran presence one. Personally, I don't want him anyway. Good player in his day but he's over the hill! And since he doesn't want to be here, do whatever to move him along. Ditto for Croshere. My read on him is the same minus the doesn't want to be here part.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers View Post
    He wouldn't be paid if TPTB told him to come to camp. There is a big difference. What Tinsley has done in the past is to claim an injury not that he didn't want to play. If Jones doesn't come to camp and the pacers want to make a stand he can be suspended for every game he doesn't participate in. Legally they can do it. See BBall.

I don't believe that a player has the right under their contract to simply not report to work and still get paid for it. I'm no contract expert but I would think the team would have the right to simply void the players contract and pay him nothing after a reasonable amount of time. I wouldn't even think the union would side with a player if he expected to be paid.