Thread: Anyone else want to be an agent?

Default Anyone else want to be an agent?

Where do I sign up? GEEZ! Dont know the %, but sure know those guys are taking theirs off the top

http://hoopshype.com/agents.htm
    Last edited by bambam; 10-12-2008 at 06:12 PM.
    Bambam

Follow me on Twitter @http://twitter.com/brockhubble

Default Re: OT...Anyone else want to be an agent?

I believe most agents received between 8 and 10 percent, although that is negotiable with each client on a individual basis. Keep in mind those numbers do not reflect endorsement deals either.

With that said that list is listing all the "all stars". It is not showing the hundreds, maybe even thousands of agents who are making $30K or less.

I know that the process to be a NFL agent goes through Washington, DC and a lot of people go through the process just to say they have done it. I just looked it up. The NFLPA requires all agent have a law degree of post bachelor degree. The NBAPA just requires a bachelor degree.
    Last edited by juadam09; 10-12-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juadam09 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe most agents received between 8 and 10 percent, although that is negotiable with each client on a individual basis. Keep in mind those numbers do not reflect endorsement deals either.

With that said that list is listing all the "all stars". It is not showing the hundreds, maybe even thousands of agents who are making $30K or less.

I know that the process to be a NFL agent goes through Washington, DC and a lot of people go trhough the process just to say they have done it. Not sure but I think either the NFL or NBA you have to have a masters or law degree. In the other league you only have to have a bachelors degree to be eligible
    Im completing my law degree now. Almost done. I would love to work with one of those agencies. I dont beleive you need a masters or law degree to become an agent, but definately you would need a lawyer to draft contract between the agent and player. But it would be beneficial to have a law degree because in law school you do a lot of practical work in negotiations.

I could be wrong though. Is there a way to fing out?

EDIT: i found this online, its basically supposed to help NCAA players find the "right" agent. It doesnt say that a law degree is manditory but it is beneficial:

Something that should be factored in as well. Someone that went to Yale isn’t necessarily a better agent than someone who went to UConn, but a law degree or an MBA could very well help in the contract negotiation process. How long have you been certified for by the NBA Players Association? What is your field of expertise? Tell me about your background in the field. How many contracts have you negotiated? How good is your understanding of the NBA’s Collective Bargaining Agreement? Can you explain to me the nuances of the poison pill provision or what a Base Year Compensation player is? Do you have the leverage to get a player traded? Waived? What are some creative clauses you have put in contracts in the past that worked out in your player’s favor?

Just like not every great basketball player makes a great coach or General Manager…not everyone in the basketball business is cut out to be an NBA player agent. It’s a profession like any other that requires specific skills, training and expertise. For many players, making the wrong choice on the first go-around means they won’t get another chance later.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...ction-Process/
    Last edited by MillerTime; 10-12-2008 at 08:19 PM.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I just edited my post when you posted that.

I actually wanted to go to law school, may still decide to go that route.

You are correct the experience from law school is very beneficial, though I am not sure why the NFL requires it and the NBA does not.

You are correct the experience from law school is very beneficial, though I am not sure why the NFL requires it and the NBA does not.
    you guys might want to take a look at this http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide...sketballgm.asp
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Anyone else want to be an agent?

Yeah, there are a lot of programs similar to that out there.

Many colleges also have "sports management" degree type programs.

The trick is getting the experience in the field, ala a internship. Like most things in life its not so much what you know as much as it is who you know

Yeah, there are a lot of programs similar to that out there.

Many colleges also have "sports management" degree type programs.

The trick is getting the experience in the field, ala a internship. Like most things in life its not so much what you know as much as it is who you know
    exactly!! theory and practical work are very seperate

which law school were u considering?

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    which law school were u considering?
    Which ever one would be kind enough to take my money

I went to a JUCO back home and took a year off before coming down here to Florida so even though I am 23 I still have one more year till I get my bachelors.

I would like to stay down here and find a school to attend, but the tuition for out of state is insane. More then likely I would look at a place back home like a GW or GMU, but those are both very hard schools to get into.

For now I am just focusing on keeping my GPA up and if things work out great. If not than it just wasn't meant to be. I actually would not mind going and working for a sports team, though my dream location would be California.

The standard commission is roughly 3%, not 8-10%. Some players even have attorneys negotiate contracts on an hourly wage, rather than pay 3%. Other players may even negotiate the contract themselves. Agents usually get more for endorsements, promotional appearances, etc.

An agent like David Falk, Andy Miller, Arn Tellem, Bill Duffy, Rob Pelinka, Aaron Goodwin, etc. all have a roster of clients worth 50+ million in year in annual salaries, which is 300k per every 10 million a player makes or 1.5 million per every 50 million.

The hard part is getting into the business as supply is greater than demand. If you have an MBA, law degree and sports connections, you're already ahead of the curve. But very seldom do you see many agents walk out of college and land these big name players and contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    The standard commission is roughly 3%, not 8-10%. Some players even have attorneys negotiate contracts on an hourly wage, rather than pay 3%. Other players may even negotiate the contract themselves. Agents usually get more for endorsements, promotional appearances, etc.

An agent like David Falk, Andy Miller, Arn Tellem, Bill Duffy, Rob Pelinka, Aaron Goodwin, etc. all have a roster of clients worth 50+ million in year in annual salaries, which is 300k per every 10 million a player makes or 1.5 million per every 50 million.

The hard part is getting into the business as supply is greater than demand. If you have an MBA, law degree and sports connections, you're already ahead of the curve. But very seldom do you see many agents walk out of college and land these big name players and contracts.
    I stand corrected. I have read some articles on NFL agents and I know they are a bit higher than that, but that sounds about right.

I also have heard of players not using agents, although it is not as popular as I would think it would be. I believe a player from the Pistons actually uses a lawyer instead of a agent (Billups possible). I also know Gilbert Arenas does not have a agent at all.

Of course the downside to this approach is a agent has a whole marketing firm he normally works with and also is able to help with "spinning" and "damage control" of situations, although it is debatable how much help that really is.

You are correct about how hard it is to "get into the business". That is why Rosenhous has such a strong hold for players of out UM. He knew he needed a "niche" so he went to law school at UM and made sure to network with all the football players he could.

one of my friends works for the Raps marketing team. Shes said she'll try to get me an internship position with the Raps legal team.

But I dont know if the legal team takes internships because theres lot of confidential information there. Has anyone on this board does any internships with an NBA team?

The fee really varies depending upon the relationship. Some players like a Kobe may have an agent, a publicist, etc. But if you think about it, the average NBA salary is something like 3-4 million. If you have one player on your roster making 4 million, you're pulling in 120k a year from just one player. That's why a guy will hire an atty to negotiate a contract instead. Even at a few hundred an hour over a few days, is much cheaper than having an agent. At the same time, an owner and GM may take advantage of the lack of an agent too.

As far as damage control, all NBA teams have PR people, so unless you're in trouble off the court, very little, if any, will you need damage control services.

I believe that you see some agents charge anywhere from 5-20% for endorsement deals. A guy like Peyton Manning pulls in 10 million or so a year in endorsements and his agent (Tom Condon) is likely seeing a cool million, at least (IMO), from those deals.

I went to a Pacers inside the front office event a few years ago and went to a session on contracts and had a chance to speak with David Morway (who handles all of the contract negotiations) for a good 15-20 minutes. He's a former agent and does have a law degree. We talked about working as an agent and he suggested interning, volunteering and doing whatever you can to position yourself. If you're interested in being an agent, definitely do an internship (even if it's unpaid and you can suport yourself with a team, a law firm, etc) and it will help you get a foot in the door. You may start with fringe players (NBDL caliber), but you have to start somewhere and learn as much as possible and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    The fee really varies depending upon the relationship. Some players like a Kobe may have an agent, a publicist, etc. But if you think about it, the average NBA salary is something like 3-4 million. If you have one player on your roster making 4 million, you're pulling in 120k a year from just one player. That's why a guy will hire an atty to negotiate a contract instead. Even at a few hundred an hour over a few days, is much cheaper than having an agent. At the same time, an owner and GM may take advantage of the lack of an agent too.

As far as damage control, all NBA teams have PR people, so unless you're in trouble off the court, very little, if any, will you need damage control services.

I believe that you see some agents charge anywhere from 5-20% for endorsement deals. A guy like Peyton Manning pulls in 10 million or so a year in endorsements and his agent (Tom Condon) is likely seeing a cool million, at least (IMO), from those deals.

I went to a Pacers inside the front office event a few years ago and went to a session on contracts and had a chance to speak with David Morway (who handles all of the contract negotiations) for a good 15-20 minutes. He's a former agent and does have a law degree. We talked about working as an agent and he suggested interning, volunteering and doing whatever you can to position yourself. If you're interested in being an agent, definitely do an internship (even if it's unpaid and you can suport yourself with a team, a law firm, etc) and it will help you get a foot in the door. You may start with fringe players (NBDL caliber), but you have to start somewhere and learn as much as possible and go from there.
    Thanks for that. How did you attend a front office event? Are they open to the public? If so, do you know when they have them and where? I would definately be interested in going.

As for the internships. Most are going to be unpaid, but the experience will be beneficial. I dont know if NBA teams have internship positions because of confidentiality. Or am I wrong?

Pacers used to hold these "Inside the Front Office" events on a yearly basis. They had events and workshops all day on topics such as broadcasting, marketing, public relations, ticket office, scouting, contracts, etc.

The one I went to was years ago and I went more so as a fan of the Pacers and they had a ton of people there looking for a job. I remember going to the event with Morway and there were probably a dozen people there -- many were still in HS, people in their first year or two of college and I had been out of college for a few years. Anyway, I asked Morway some questions about the luxury cap and CBA and he answered those whereas everyone else in the group had no idea what any of those issues were and how they worked. Instead, the few questions they asked were very general and basic questions about salaries, what the salary cap was, etc. Afterwards, I had a chance to talk to Morway personally for a good 15+ minutes and we talked about him being an agent and working for the Pacers.

Morway is a former baseball agent and knows both sides of the table. From my understanding, Bird handles the basketball and talent aspect and Morway handles the legalities, contracts and also contributes to personnel decisions. If the Pacers offer it again, I would encourage everyone to go. I enjoyed it from a fan's perspective as I had the chance to talk to guys like Morway personally.

Pacers do offer internships, I believe. However, you would have to apply and I can all but guarantee you it will not be paid. But it's a chance to get your foot in the door. I remember talking to a season ticket rep at the draft party and she had just started with the Pacers and had a degree in sports communication and had worked for a minor league basketball team first befoe taking a job with the Pacers.

The Pacers used to host a pro sports team job fair every year and would have teams from all over (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, Minor League, etc) attend who would be recruiting for interns, full time jobs, etc.

Smoothdave, very true. I actually have just given up on my dream to pursue a career in performing arts, but even as a college student I had a few auditions with agents and the same can be said for show business. A lot just depends on your relationship with the agent.

I do not know how most firms works, I just know from a few I considered interning with in high school. Those that I looked at were huge firms that had a legal team, a marketing team, a PR team, etc. Granted that was a big company, and as I said it is debatable if/how much you would need those extra services.

That is awesome you attended that event. A few years ago I got to meet a guy who was the lead manager for the marketing team for the Timberwolves. He started off working for the WNBA team and then worked his way up to the NBA.

Miller TIme,

I was sent a invite via email just this last week, but as I am out of state I just deleted it. Maybe some other member here at Pacers Digest saved the email? Or maybe you could find information or Pacers.com or by emailing the team.

Good luck with whatever route you choose

Smoothdave, very true. I actually have just given up on my dream to pursue a career in performing arts, but even as a college student I had a few auditions with agents and the same can be said for show business. A lot just depends on your relationship with the agent.

I do not know how most firms works, I just know from a few I considered interning with in high school. Those that I looked at were huge firms that had a legal team, a marketing team, a PR team, etc. Granted that was a big company, and as I said it is debatable if/how much you would need those extra services.

That is awesome you attended that event. A few years ago I got to meet a guy who was the lead manager for the marketing team for the Timberwolves. He started off working for the WNBA team and then worked his way up to the NBA.

Miller TIme,

I was sent a invite via email just this last week, but as I am out of state I just deleted it. Maybe some other member here at Pacers Digest saved the email? Or maybe you could find information or Pacers.com or by emailing the team.

Good luck with whatever route you choose
    What was the email for? An invitation to Inside the Front Office event? Did you just sign up on Pacers.com for the email?

It was just a general invitation telling me I had to RSVP by a certain date and the cost. I honestly do not remember how much it was.

[quote=Smoothdave1;789934]The standard commission is roughly 3%, not 8-10%. Some players even have attorneys negotiate contracts on an hourly wage, rather than pay 3%. Other players may even negotiate the contract themselves. Agents usually get more for endorsements, promotional appearances, etc.

The hard part is getting into the business as supply is greater than demand. If you have an MBA, law degree and sports connections, you're already ahead of the curve. But very seldom do you see many agents walk out of college and land these big name players and contracts.[/quote

3% is what I always heard a "good" agent makes. I'm sure there are those who take players for a ride.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.