Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Williams might be available

Default Marvin Williams might be available

Williams will forever be plagued by where was drafted, ahead of both Deron Williams and Paul, who since draft night have moved to the head of the point guard class. That fact overshadows what has been steady improvement from the former North Carolina star during the course of his first three years in the league. If you place his career statistics alongside No. 1 pick Bogut’s from their first three years there wouldn’t be a significant difference in the raw numbers. But Bogut is a true center and the foundation of Milwaukee’s future (hence the $72 million, with incentives, extension he received earlier this summer). Williams is also caught up in a financial matrix that the Hawks have to figure out since he, All-Star and captain Joe Johnson and All-Rookie team center Al Horford are eligible for extensions in the next two years.
    http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/spo..._contract.html

I think Williams and Hibbert could be a good future front court for us. Williams has a decent shot within the perimeter and his post game isnt that bad. Hes making about $5.6 mill this year. I dont know who we could really trade to the Hawks. The definately dont want Tinsley (with Bibby, Claxston and Law, theres no point). Maybe we could give them Rasho for Williams. Or even use part of the MLE to sign Williams?

I think hes exactly what we need. I know he didnt live up to the hype of going before Paul and Deron, but hes still a pretty gifted player. Check out his mix on youtube...i didnt know he could shoot the 3 so well http://video.google.com/videosearch?...q=marvin+will#

A future of:
    Ford
    Rush
    Granger
    Williams
    Hibbert

looks very promising to me
    Last edited by MillerTime; 10-11-2008 at 05:57 AM.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Marvin Williams might be available

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I think Williams and Hibbert could be a good future front court for us. Williams has a decent shot within the perimeter and his post game isnt that bad. Hes making about $5.6 mill this year. I dont know who we could really trade to the Hawks. The definately dont want Tinsley (with Bibby, Claxston and Law, theres no point). Maybe we could give them Rasho for Williams. Or even use part of the MLE to sign Williams?

I think hes exactly what we need. I know he didnt live up to the hype of going before Paul and Deron, but hes still a pretty gifted player. Check out his mix on youtube...i didnt know he could shoot the 3 so well http://video.google.com/videosearch?...q=marvin+will#

A future of:
    Ford
    Rush
    Granger
    Williams
    Hibbert

That's because he can't. Just because you see it on youtube doesn't mean it's true. He averaged 10% behind the arc last year and is a career 23% shooter. Also, he's not a PF. Neither is Josh Smith, but Smith was the one guarding the PF when they were on the floor together.

Basically, we have no need for him at the SF spot, and I don't think he'll ever be a PF, or at least, no more than Shawne Williams was going to be a PF, and at least Shawne could actually hit the 3.

Nothing wrong with looking to pick up a prospect on the cheap, but I think this is a bad fit.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But we just got rid of a Williams, I don't think we're ready for another (unless his first name is Derron!).
    Seriously though, MW is an OK player, but he does nothing really well. He is solid, but not special. I see his game now as S.Williams best possible upside result. The size & athleticism is there, but the "flow" that is needed on the court is not (for either guy IMO).
    PS. His 3pt shooting is not even worth mentioning. See his stats.

PSS. Besides, w/ Dun, Granger, Rush where do you see him playing? He is NOT a 4!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    But we just got rid of a Williams, I don't think we're ready for another (unless his first name is Derron!).
    Seriously though, MW is an OK player, but he does nothing really well. He is solid, but not special. I see his game now as S.Williams best possible upside result. The size & athleticism is there, but the "flow" that is needed on the court is not (for either guy IMO).
    PS. His 3pt shooting is not even worth mentioning. See his stats.

PSS. Besides, w/ Dun, Granger, Rush where do you see him playing? He is NOT a 4!
    Ive always thought he was a PF. If hes another swingman, then ill agree, we dont have no room for him
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

The Pacers need a "POWER FORWARD" and neither he nor Shawne are one. Pass on Marvin.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even if he was a PF would he get the opportunity he needs to get an extension or lobby for a good contract. MW is not a good rebounder or defender. Something this team needs at the PF.

I don't even think the Pacers need a PF. They've got Murphy and Foster there already... nobody else is going to get minutes (including Austin).
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I don't even think the Pacers need a PF. They've got Murphy and Foster there already... nobody else is going to get minutes (including Austin).
    Yup, this is also why we don't need Howard, Garnett, Bosh or any of them.

Marvin could play PF in this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    If it was remotely possible to get those guys then the situation might be different. But we're talking about Marvin Williams here.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

If it was remotely possible to get those guys then the situation might be different. But we're talking about Marvin Williams here.
    Yeah, as MrsParko would say, we're not talking about a guy who built the railroads here...
    Last edited by rexnom; 10-11-2008 at 10:25 PM.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of MrsParko.

But, indeed, I think she would say that and, indeed, it is fantastic.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Marvin Williams reminds me of Larry Hughes. Pure athletic talent that never really does much when it matters.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Who happens to have more talent than any Pacer not named Granger.

In some places a 22-year-old who averages 15 and 6 on the same team as Mike Bibby, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith might be considered pretty good - and if he was a Pacer he'd be considered a future all-star on this board.

You don't need him anyway but to get him you'd have to give up a lot. (Probably, though we are talking the Hawks here)
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post

On this team, any of those three guys by themselves wouldn't be any more relevant than McRoberts.

Why ask the Simon's to pay any more money for this ***** team larry has put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Plax80 View Post
    On this team, any of those three guys by themselves wouldn't be any more relevant than McRoberts.

Why ask the Simon's to pay any more money for this ***** team larry has put together.
    Larry has done so good so far as first year of having control of the team. Its not like he had a lot to work with. I think Larry has done such a great job so far.

I'll decided around December/January what kind of team this is, not after 2 preseason games.

As it stands, there's a lot of work to be done, but I'm far from convinced I know all of what this team can/can't do.

We haven't even seen it with two of its starters yet; its second best (third this year?) player yet.

Banned

Larry has done so good so far as first year of having control of the team. Its not like he had a lot to work with. I think Larry has done such a great job so far.
    If eliminating talented players who have committed misdeameanors in their early 20s while bringing in a collection of D league players qualifies as great personnel moves than I guess you are right.

We have two maybe three players who are rotation players on a good team and none of them would be the focal point or even the second option on a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    In some places a 22-year-old who averages 15 and 6 on the same team as Mike Bibby, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith might be considered pretty good - and if he was a Pacer he'd be considered a future all-star on this board.
    Yeah, that's exactly what this team needs. I bet Larry woke up this morning and said "I wish we could find a PF who averages 6 rebounds a game."

I'm not saying he's a bad player. I'm saying he doesn't significantly upgrade our PF spot.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The thing with Marvin Williams is that he's really a SF. He starts with Josh Smith and Al Horford who provide more than enough "power" for that team. He's a good fit in Atlanta, I think, but definitely not here.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Marvin could play PF in this offense.
    While this may be true I don't want that. I want a player who can play PF in any offense. Atleast when you are talking a likely key player such as Marvin.

I want to see a much more physical PF. Someone who can score down low and get easy points. Also, someone who can rebound really well.

We don't need to be in a rush here. We have some really solid players there that we can make the playoffs with this year.

Yeah, that's exactly what this team needs. I bet Larry woke up this morning and said "I wish we could find a PF who averages 6 rebounds a game."

I'm not saying he's a bad player. I'm saying he doesn't significantly upgrade our PF spot.
    Since he is not and never will be a power forward why would you expect him to?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

A future of:
    Ford
    Rush
    Granger
    Williams
    Hibbert

The problem with Marvin Williams is what position is he? If Hibbert can prove to be an effective shot blocker or shot deterrent at the rim, perhaps Williams can guard PF, but I don't see Williams being effective vs. stronger PF in the league.

Assuming Brandon Rush and Hibbert both develop, which is a lot to ask of two mid-first round picks, Rush is a reputed good defender. TJ Ford is disruptive on defense, though not a stopper. (He at least cares about it, as does Jarrett Jack, whereas Tinsley doesn't.) Granger is adequate and improving. There would be a lot of offense out there with that group. I'd much rather see the Pacers go with a bigger body, even a strong low post presence.

That PF spot, especially with a skilled center, needs to be a grunt, much like the days of Rik Smits and the Davises or JO and Jeff Foster. It would be nice if he could be a star caliber player too, but it's hard to get. The closest to it is Portland with Greg Oden and LaMarcus Aldridge, but those are a #1 and #2 pick in consecutive rookie drafts. The Pacers aren't likely to see that.

If the Pacers felt Williams, at the SF spot, had more potential than Granger and Mike Dunleavy, I'd be OK with them going in that direction, moving Granger and Dunleavy to make room for a PF, but I don't see that as being the case.

We really don't need all this rational thought around here. Take that nonsense back to your Knicks board.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Who happens to have more talent than any Pacer not named Granger.

You don't need him anyway but to get him you'd have to give up a lot. (Probably, though we are talking the Hawks here)
    And that's the crux of the issue. It's not that Williams is a bad player. He's a good, young and still improving player. The problem is that for what we'd have to give up, he's not worth it, especially considering our current roster.