Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murphy's Breakout Season?

Default Murphy's Breakout Season?

How many of you guys think Murphy will actually break out next season? Not want him to, but actually think he will?

Personally, under JOBs system, I think he will. We finally have a PG (and Backup PG) that can get into the lanes and cause the defense to collapse and then have the ability to dish it out to guys that can hit the long range jumper, with Murphy being one of them.

I loved how Murphy playing in his earlier days in GS, I dont know what happened to him a few seasons after, he just fell off. He averaged 14 ppg and 10 rpg at one point, then just died down. Thats what we need from him, someone who can go after the rounds fearlessly.

This should be a nice year from Murphy...
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Murphy's Breakout Season?

Someone has been paying attention to my posts...

Not me. If he matches his post-ASB production I'll be thrilled. Hard to expect more than that from him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not me. If he matches his post-ASB production I'll be thrilled. Hard to expect more than that from him.
    I just want him to get back to how he was when he averaged a double double back in GS. He was killing it that season. He was such a hard matchup. He loved stepping outside and shooting and normal PFs dont like being so far from the basketb
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Y'all gonna see it....lol.

Sorry, I'm not a believer. He first needs to become remotely decent at defending the post. Maybe stop someone from either going over, around or through him. He really is that bad. Remember, he is a POWER Forward. He looks pretty around the 3pt line, but the other half of the time it is not pretty.

Actually, I would prefer we stick Foster out there and let MDJ and Granger shoot treys, because they both shoot for a higher pct. anyway.

Troy's a nice guy, even if he is a little strange with the tanning fetish, but I simply do not want him as a starting PF. Not in the NBA.

So, the answer is NO.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I just want him to get back to how he was when he averaged a double double back in GS. He was killing it that season. He was such a hard matchup. He loved stepping outside and shooting and normal PFs dont like being so far from the basketb
    Murphy never "killed it" in GS. Closest he came to that was his 2nd year. That was his best as a pro.

People wanted him shipped out of town during his double double days following that because he was a PF shooting ~42%, missing point blank shots and not playing defense.

I mean Chris Mullin spent an entire summer trying to trade Murphy right AFTER he had just completed 2 consecutive years averaging a double double for Al Harrington, a guy who has NEVER averaged a double double.

The reason the W's traded Murphy had nothing to do with his inability to average a double double, because he was obviously able to do that.

What would define a breakout season for Murphy, statistically? I'd be interested to hear what people would set as a baseline.

if he reached 14 and 8 AND does not make us lose games because of his poor defense I'll be satisified

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    What would define a breakout season for Murphy, statistically? I'd be interested to hear what people would set as a baseline.
    If he could get back to the days where he was averaging 14ppg and 10rpg I would be very happy with him. But his defense needs to pick up also

I do not have a problem with him shooting threes if he can hit them at 40 percent like he has averaged in his career.

Like eveyone said he needs to put on about 10 pounds of lean muscle and start to play hard PHYSICAL defense. I hate how soft he is and how he cannot put a body on anyone. I am interested to see the high low with him and hibbert later in the season though.

A breakout year for him would be doing what he did at the end of last season for the entire season, and showing us something more on D.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime
    How many of you guys think Murphy will actually break out next season? Personally, under JOBs system, I think he will.
    Quote Originally Posted by maragin
    What would define a breakout season for Murphy, statistically?
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime
    If he could get back to the days where he was averaging 14ppg and 10rpg I would be very happy with him.

So, you are defining a "breakout season" as returning to the level of play Murphy has already showed in 04-05 and 05-06?

That is silly.

Anyway, no, I don't think Murphy is going to break out this season. He is a pretty consistent player, and his output totals are due to his minutes. The years he averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds were years he played more minutes. His output per 48 hasn't changed much.

He played 28 minutes last year, and he's not going to get much more this year than last.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    A breakout year for him would be doing what he did at the end of last season for the entire season, and showing us something more on D.
    Agreed. He didn't settle for jump shots as much towards the end, even putting in some slow but effective drives to the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    He played 28 minutes last year, and he's not going to get much more this year than last.

I'm pretty sure he will. Larry said he could play 35 min/game this year. I expect him to be somewhere between the two numbers, but he's needed more this year because of the lack of offense in the post (for which Troy will not provide, but he will provide scoring at the 4). Remember, he "broke out" later in the year while Jermaine sat out.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I'm pretty sure he will. Larry said he could play 35 min/game this year. I expect him to be somewhere between the two numbers, but he's needed more this year because of the lack of offense in the post (for which Troy will not provide, but he will provide scoring at the 4). Remember, he "broke out" later in the year while Jermaine sat out.

You may be right about the minutes. I don't know. I took the comment about him getting 35 minutes per game the same way I took O'Brien's statement that McRoberts is the Pacers most athletic big man. But it may happen that way for Murphy.

I still resist use of the term "break out" to describe rise back up to a level he's already attained.

And it doesn't seem likely that the Pacers' offense will rely on the power forward position as much this year as it has in the past, so Murphy's attempts probably won't increase. We'll see.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    I can tell you right now that statistics were never the reason that Warrior fans eventually got tired of Murphy. He almost always had good stats in terms of point and rebounds. That was never his problem.

His problems were that he shot a poor percentage, was a poor passer, played poor man defense and played perhaps some of the worst HELP defense for a bigman in the league.

If you want to know whether Murphy is helping you or not, you need to watch the game instead of just looking at the boxscore.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    I can tell you right now that statistics were never the reason that Warrior fans eventually got tired of Murphy. He almost always had good stats in terms of point and rebounds. That was never his problem.

His problems were that he shot a poor percentage, was a poor passer, played poor man defense and played perhaps some of the worst HELP defense for a bigman in the league.

If you want to know whether Murphy is helping you or not, you need to watch the game instead of just looking at the boxscore.
    Need to frame this post.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    I do not have a problem with him shooting threes if he can hit them at 40 percent like he has averaged in his career.

Like eveyone said he needs to put on about 10 pounds of lean muscle and start to play hard PHYSICAL defense. I hate how soft he is and how he cannot put a body on anyone. I am interested to see the high low with him and hibbert later in the season though.

I don't think he needs to put on any weight. I remember the beginning of last year when he "hit the gym" and put on some pounds... was just abysmally slow... his game didn't pick up till he started to slim down later in the season and was """""slightly""""" quicker.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I don't have Murphy-hate. I also can't really see him "breaking out."

However, I think we could all grow to like him a lot better if the following occur:

- He continues to drive to the rack like the end of last season
    - He plays tough, physical defense.
    - He slims down and finds a better ability to play defense.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm tired of dreaming that he is going to be worthy of being a starting power forward. He's not, nor will he ever be.

I've just come to the reality that We're stuck with this guy. Management will say anything to make this guy tolerable to the fan base. Hell, some of you are taking what Bird said about his minutes like it means more then Diener resembling Mark Price.

Puh-leese... Murphy is what he is.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Much like Croshere in his previous stint here, Murphy is a great guy to have on the team who only is a problem due to his salary. Troy brings many things to the table and certainly deserves significant mpg in an NBA frontcourt somewhere...he just doesn't bring $10 million worth of things to the table.

It's easy to hate him for that fact...but whatever, he's still pretty good. It likely means we are stuck with him, but it's not like he's bad or anything -- simply overpaid.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Much like Croshere in his previous stint here, Murphy is a great guy to have on the team who only is a problem due to his salary. Troy brings many things to the table and certainly deserves significant mpg in an NBA frontcourt somewhere...he just doesn't bring $10 million worth of things to the table.

It's easy to hate him for that fact...but whatever, he's still pretty good. It likely means we are stuck with him, but it's not like he's bad or anything -- simply overpaid.

Agreed. Dude's a pretty solid player. Arguably not a starting PF, but will get you some points and rebounds. Just isn't a banger and defender, which isn't timely b/c that's something we lack right now. Our offense is probably ideal to take advantage of his strengths. If he can get us double-digit points and 8-ish rebounds I'll be plenty content.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Murphy is Croshere redux: overpaid, not strong defensively, good-3 point shooter, not terribly athletic, and not really prototype nba PF. He is also more brittle. I am hoping that mcRob can give the team solid minutes.

In five years teams will be competing to sign him for the vet minimum.

Sadly, we need more from the 4 position than he can possibly produce. The 4 position is the one we need to fill in next year's draft.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Sadly, we need more from the 4 position than he can possibly produce. The 4 position is the one we need to fill in next year's draft.
    Most certainly.

But we should blame our front office for that. Not him.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Banned

Murphy's a perfectly acceptable PF that's a mismatch on offense and does a good job hitting the boards. I'd like to see us go after more of a defensive presence, but a Murphy/Foster duo is far from bad.