Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers extend Jeff Foster!

Default Re: Pacers extend Jeff Foster!

foster had more value imo as an expiring contract

But none for Granger?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    foster had more value imo as an expiring contract
    Foster is a good investment in a down market. He can play either C or PF and do it pretty well. Anyone like that does not come for 3M/yr....so we got him at a decent price.

Of the proven players on the team, he is probably behind only Granger, Ford and Dunleavy in terms of value. JMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Foster is a good investment in a down market. He can play either C or PF and do it pretty well. Anyone like that does not come for 3M/yr....so we got him at a decent price.

Of the proven players on the team, he is probably behind only Granger, Ford and Dunleavy in terms of value. JMHO...
    i just see his value as a GREAT trade asset. foster is useless on a losing team imo. i actually feel bad for the guy and what he's had to put up with since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Jeff's making $5.5m this year. I would say the Pacers gave him a ten percent raise not compounded. That would be $6,050,000 next year, and $6,600,000 his last year. Total, $12,650,000.
    Yup... pretty much:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3637019

Veteran center Jeff Foster signed a two-year extension worth $12.7 million, ESPN.com has learned.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess the ECF trips sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    I guess the ECF trips sucks.
    not sure if you're referring to my comment or not but how can you not feel bad for foster and what he's been put through since 2001?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramitt View Post
    This is great news, Foster is a good guy and hard worker. So far I am pleased with what Larry is doing. Of course time will tell.
    This has been a horrific offseason.

Unless your idea of a good offseason is to become a 24 win team (bright side) and to give away your most talented player in the process.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Plax80 View Post
    This has been a horrific offseason.

Unless your idea of a good offseason is to become a 24 win team (bright side) and to give away your most talented player in the process.
    What are you talking about!?

The Pacers Offseason > Horrific

When did we get rid of Danny Granger?

In other news, did you know that Foster is #1 among active players in Offensive Rebounding Percentage? I have no idea exactly what that is, but it sounds important and Jeff's the best at it.

Also, I just found out (hopefully I'm not the last, though I probably am) that Foster was originally drafted by Golden State and traded here for Vonteego Cummings and a future first rounder that the Warriors then used to draft Troy Murphy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Forgot who they used that draft pick on. But man, what a quinkydink!

this was something that had to be done! Shawne out and Foster staying longer. Good job Bird.

Man Bird has done so much this offseason. I cant remember another GM moving all these kinds of players. We see a lot of new faces this year. Ford, Rush, Hibbert, Jack, McBob, Rasho, Baston (who has been here before), Jones, and Croshere (who has been a long time Pacers before)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Yup... pretty much:

Veteran center Jeff Foster signed a two-year extension worth $12.7 million, ESPN.com has learned.
    That's what I've been thinking. It has to be as much as the likely MLE or Foster would have just waited til the offseason for the FA market.

Again, I know it's a little too much.....but I'm okay with that. IMHO.....he's worth it...especially since it's a 2 year deal.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Jeff's making $5.5m this year. I would say the Pacers gave him a ten percent raise not compounded. That would be $6,050,000 next year, and $6,600,000 his last year. Total, $12,650,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Yup... pretty much:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    That's what I've been thinking. It has to be as much as the likely MLE or Foster would have just waited til the offseason for the FA market.

Again, I know it's a little too much.....but I'm okay with that. IMHO.....he's worth it...especially since it's a 2 year deal.
    OK...that makes some sense...that's the max raise for a 2-yr extension (I'd been caught up in the Danny extension, which has no real "max raise %", that I'd forgotten vet extensions couldn't be higher than 10.5% of the last year.

It's basically right at MLE, and I think basically at market value. Even if it's slight above, I refer you back to Jay Redd's earlier post on overpaying.

Wait. So shouldn't we extend Jack too? Wouldn't that be less than his cap hold?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I would think that Bird wants to see more of Jack in our offense before committing ot him. Unlike Granger and Foster....we have only seen Jack play in 2 preseason games so far.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I would think that Bird wants to see more of Jack in our offense before committing ot him. Unlike Granger and Foster....we have only seen Jack play in 2 preseason games so far.
    That makes sense, but then again, if we can get Jack for a value under his cap hold and somehow pull of a favorable Tinsley trade then we might be more than MLE players next summer. Right? Or is my math just off right now?

Yes...Jack's cap hold would be $6 million, while I'd expect his extention to be in the $3.5 to $5mm range, as a start. However...

I'd agree that we're leaning towards keeping him, but may not quite be ready to commit. However, if you could get an extension of something like 3 yrs, $12mm, I would lock him up.

That makes sense, but then again, if we can get Jack for a value under his cap hold and somehow pull of a favorable Tinsley trade then we might be more than MLE players next summer. Right? Or is my math just off right now?
    Here's the basic deal. If the Pacers don't move Tinsley, or don't reduce the salary impact on next year in a Tinsley deal, the Pacers will have roughly $47.9mm in guaranteed contracts. Danny's cap hold will be about $7.0mm, and let's assume a caphold for our first round pick of about $2.0mm.

47.9 plus 7.0 plus 2.0 puts us at about 56.9mm. I'd expect the cap to be between 61 & 62mm next year, so that leaves us only $5-6mm of space.

Effectively, we've already locked ourselves out of the above MLE market by extending Jeff.

Caveat: If we can make the Denver Deal (Atkins/Hunter for Tinsley), then that would clear an additional $2.7mm of cap space, which could make us a player above the MLE.

However, if we do anything with Jack other than renouncing his rights, then we're basically out of cap space.

Unless we unload one of the big contracts for an expiring (Murph, Junior, Tinsley), we will not be big players in Free Agency next year. Any major acquisitions will come through the Draft, trades, or the MLE.

EDIT: I should note that all of the figures above are prior to looking at JJ's cap hold or re-signing him. The same is true with Rasho, McBob, Graham, and Baston
    Last edited by count55; 10-11-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Effectively, we've already locked ourselves out of the above MLE market by extending Jeff.
    Which is fine with me. We don't need to start adding a ton of salary next year anyway. I'd rather make small moves** until Troy/Dun/Foster expire.

And by "moves" I mean "salary additions."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

i just see his value as a GREAT trade asset. foster is useless on a losing team imo. i actually feel bad for the guy and what he's had to put up with since 2001.
    You may have a good point here. Are we rebuilding, or retooling?

However, I think Larry Bird is more committed to returning to the playoffs and winning back the fans. Jeff helps him do that...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Which is fine with me. We don't need to start adding a ton of salary next year anyway. I'd rather make small moves** until Troy/Dun/Foster expire.

And by "moves" I mean "salary additions."
    I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad thing. The truth of the matter is that I've always believed we were out of that market, because I've always believed we'd need to keep some of those FA's (specifically, JJ & Jeff), so the capholds were there anyway.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's not overly useful on a winning team, either. First big off the bench, perhaps? His coaches don't like to play him more than >24 mpg in his prime and his spot is always open for competition. I give him credit for working hard and winning back his spot, but it also says something when someone of his (lack of) skill level is one of our key rotation players.

For what you said, I don't mind the team rewarding him for his hard work over the years. This particular contract is unlikely to be a major disruption the rebuilding of the front court that needs to take place whether he is shipped away to acquire new pieces or just takes a seat on the bench. Its basically an MLE-type of contract, and those are still easily tradeable.

I think this is a financial favor from the Pacers to Jeff, and it is unlikely to change any of the potential trade scenarios for Jeff as the season progresses. In fact, if the ultimate goal is to trade him for a first-round draft pick, this extension probably helps increase the number of teams that would consider trading for him. I still think he'll finish the season on the Spurs roster.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I think this is a financial favor from the Pacers to Jeff, and it is unlikely to change any of the potential trade scenarios for Jeff as the season progresses. In fact, if the ultimate goal is to trade him for a first-round draft pick, this extension probably helps increase the number of teams that would consider trading for him. I still think he'll finish the season on the Spurs roster.
    I would tend to agree. I think his trade value is about the same, though perhaps a little less for those teams currently shooting the "2010" heroine into their veins.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Right, but he's not valuable to them in the first place. He's valuable to the Spurs, Celtics, maybe the Lakers, the Rockets if they haven't already turned into a bandaged, looney joke by the trade deadline - teams that are looking to win a title in the next two seasons. Not teams looking to get into the 2010 sweepstakes.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Right, but he's not valuable to them in the first place. He's valuable to the Spurs, Celtics, maybe the Lakers, the Rockets if they haven't already turned into a bandaged, looney joke by the trade deadline - teams that are looking to win a title in the next two seasons. Not teams looking to get into the 2010 sweepstakes.
    Perhaps my original post didn't properly convey my contempt for the 2010 strategy.

I know you're not a huge fan of Jeff Foster, but I think he's a good guy to have as a contributor to your team. I think the teams that you mention above would be pleased to have him, even 15-20 minutes a game.