Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers extend Jeff Foster!

Default Pacers extend Jeff Foster!

Pacers trade Williams, extend Foster's contract
    Oct 10, 2008

The thin ice broke. Shawne Williams, the troubled talent described by team President Larry Bird as "on thin ice" during the offseason, was traded to Dallas Friday for veteran Eddie Jones, two future second-round picks and cash.

The Pacers made a second move Friday, extending the contract of veteran center Jeff Foster, who was entering the final season of his deal.

Williams was drafted by the Pacers with the 17th overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft. In his two seasons with the Pacers, he averaged 5.6 points and 2.3 rebounds in 13.7 minutes per game.

“I had a great relationship with Shawne while he was here,” said Pacers President of Basketball Larry Bird. “We are sad to see him go; but we think this will be a great opportunity for him in Dallas.”

Jones, who will turn 37 later this month, averaged 3.7 points in 47 games with the Mavericks last season, shooting .367 from the field and .293 from the 3-point line. He is in the final year of a contract and reportedly is scheduled to earn $2 million, though some reports indicate the Pacers will waive the 6-6 swingman.

Foster, a 6-11, 250-pound center, has spent his entire career as a Pacer; and in his nine years with the team, he has career averages of 5.0 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.

“I’d like to thank the Pacers’ organization for signing me,” said Foster. “We’re in the midst of returning Pacers’ basketball back to the stature of what our fans expect on and off the court. This is my 10th year and I have every intention of finishing my career here. I’m thankful to have been part of this organization and I’m excited to be able to continue to be part of the Pacers.”

Without the extension, Foster would've become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

“I’m very pleased that we’ve signed Jeff to an extension,” said Bird. “Jeff is very important to this franchise. He’s a glue guy; and his hard work, both on and off the court, makes him a great representative of this team.”

Check back throughout the evening for updates. I'll be talking with Bird and Foster soon and will be able to provide many more details.

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800011696
    ------------------------------

Good News Indeed!

Last edited by Will Galen; 10-10-2008 at 05:59 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers extend Jeff Foster!

Good news indeed....I am glad that they got this done.

Sports Logo

It's not as good as a some news on Tinsley being traded....but extending Foster makes up for it.

I really wanted him as one of our future core players.

I wonder how much he was extended at....maybe some 2 year guaranteed / 3rd year Team Option at $6.5 mil per season?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

yes!!!!

When might we know how long he was extended?

Well, that didn't take long. Mike Wells says it's a 2 year extention.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../81010033/1088

I am not sure if it is funny or sad (or both) but when I saw I had a email from PS&E I figured it was to say Williams had been traded. I did not get that information from the Indy Star or from Pacers.com, but rather from this site. lol

Awesome to see Jeff extended, now I just hope we get to see Danny get his extension soon as well.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, that didn't take long. Mike Wells says it's a 2 year extention.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../81010033/1088
    2 years is perfect....it fits into whatever 2011-2012 FA plan that TPTB have!

I'm guessing 6.5 mil a year?

Count55, how will our SalaryCap situation look at $6.5 mil a year for 2 seasons?
    Last edited by CableKC; 10-10-2008 at 06:09 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

That's good-a$$ management.

(I'm elated that we extended his contract)

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    That's good-a$$ management.
    /thread
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Foster is overpaid, so let's hope this wasn't a bad financial deal. I like him, but he makes too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    2 years is perfect....it fits into whatever 2011-2012 FA plan that TPTB have!

I'm guessing 6.5 mil a year?

Count55, how will our SalaryCap situation look at $6.5 mil a year for 2 seasons?
    At 6.5 mm per year (which I think is probably high), it would basically say that we'd have (prior to re-signing Danny or Jack or anybody else) about $47-48mm in contracts. It is a wise move for someone you intend to keep because it is lower than the caphold (of $8.3mm), thus creating more cap space.

If the Pacers can parlay the 2 2nds from the SW4 deal into closing the Tinsley-to-Denver deal, or figure out how to get that Atkins/Hunter for Tinsley swap done otherwise, than the Pacers would drop down to around $44-45mm in guaranteed contracts before signing anyone else. Danny's caphold is about $7mm, so it would then all depend on how willing you'd be to let Jack and Rasho walk.

If you were willing to do that, then you could have maybe as much as $9mm of space before re-signing Danny (or perhaps $7-8, which would still give you an edge over the MLE only teams).

I know Jack had 8 turnovers, but I think he's a good lockerroom guy, and a good rotational player, so I'd be pre-disposed to keeping/extending him.

The most likely scenario, by a wide margin, is still being basically an MLE only player. However, that's a huge improvement over where we've been the last couple of years, where we were Min only players. If the Tinsley-to-Denver deal could get done, then we would be in a position to make a moderate splash in FA with only giving up JJ.

(BTW...if you want my guess, I think Foster probably just got a 2-year $9-10mm extension, with a declining salary.)

(BTWBTW...I did stop off at Britton and have two or three (four, really), so I'm not all the way here...I don't think anything I've told you is horribly off-base, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by arenn View Post
    Foster is overpaid, so let's hope this wasn't a bad financial deal. I like him, but he makes too much money.
    Nonsense.

He makes market value for what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Nonsense.

He makes market value for what he does.
    Correct.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Thank you! Thank you! My favorite player on the team and I think the easiest to take for granted. Love you long time Jeff.

Sports Logo

I guarantee that we would have ( at most ) paid Market value for what Foster would have gotten as a UFA. Teams that are horrible at Offensive Rebounds need players like Foster that does the "little things" as the 1st Big Man off the bench.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I finally get to buy that new bike I've wanted.

I WANT A HUFFY!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    At 6.5 mm per year (which I think is probably high), it would basically say that we'd have (prior to re-signing Danny or Jack or anybody else) about $47-48mm in contracts. It is a wise move for someone you intend to keep because it is lower than the caphold (of $8.3mm), thus creating more cap space.

If the Pacers can parlay the 2 2nds from the SW4 deal into closing the Tinsley-to-Denver deal, or figure out how to get that Atkins/Hunter for Tinsley swap done otherwise, than the Pacers would drop down to around $44-45mm in guaranteed contracts before signing anyone else. Danny's caphold is about $7mm, so it would then all depend on how willing you'd be to let Jack and Rasho walk.

If you were willing to do that, then you could have maybe as much as $9mm of space before re-signing Danny (or perhaps $7-8, which would still give you an edge over the MLE only teams).

I know Jack had 8 turnovers, but I think he's a good lockerroom guy, and a good rotational player, so I'd be pre-disposed to keeping/extending him.

The most likely scenario, by a wide margin, is still being basically an MLE only player. However, that's a huge improvement over where we've been the last couple of years, where we were Min only players. If the Tinsley-to-Denver deal could get done, then we would be in a position to make a moderate splash in FA with only giving up JJ.

(BTW...if you want my guess, I think Foster probably just got a 2-year $9-10mm extension, with a declining salary.)

(BTWBTW...I did stop off at Britton and have two or three (four, really), so I'm not all the way here...I don't think anything I've told you is horribly off-base, though.)
    I'm totally cool with a 2 year guaranteed Contract since a huge chunk of Salary Cap will be cleared when Dunleavy/Murphy come off the books after the 2010-2011 season. At the end of his contract, he'll be 34 years old...not bad if you ask me.

As for the $6.5 mil per season guess, at most, some team could probably offer him the full MLE......I know, that seems like a lot....but I have always thought that some GM out there is gonna overpay for a Big Man like Foster that is one of the best Offensive Rebounders out there that not only can defend other Big Men but does the "little things" that everyone else forgets to do.

But you also have to remember, I'm a worst-case scenario type of guy...hence the higher estimate. Either way, even if it was $6.5 mil a season....I have no problem with that.....if there's a Player that I HAD to overpay.....it's Foster. He's a good guy to have as a veteran player that can help Mentor Roy and be a good lockerroom leader.
    Last edited by CableKC; 10-10-2008 at 06:55 PM.

My guess is that Jeff's deal is for 2 years/9 million (4.5m a year) and may have taken a slight hometown discount to stay with Indy. He knows he's in the later stages of his career and is in the last year of his "BIG NBA contract". Foster lives in Indy year round, wants to be here and I'm sure his agent knew this and got a deal done.

We don't know the specifics about the extension, but assuming it's something between $11-$13 million over two years, then we're fine. Marginally overpaying a guy by like $1.5 million* is irrelevant if what you're paying for is guaranteed production. That's not what gets you into cap trouble. Overpaying by like $4-$6 million for expected production that never materializes that kills you (e.g., Tinsley, Marcus Banks, Adonal Foyle, Larry Hughes, Croshere, Raef Lafrentz ).

* And I'm not even saying that $6.5 is too much for Jeff...Just trying to say that for those who think he's only worth $4.5-5 million, it's no big deal and won't affect our flexibility if he's getting a tad more than that. We're definitely getting somewhere around $5 million worth of rebounds guaranteed for two more years...we know that...the exact figure is just semantics.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Re-signing Jeff and sending Shawne packing on a friday makes for a pretty good day. Now, to complete the final cleansing cycle, we need a new home for Jamaal and a new contract for Granger.

Better preseason news than the past couple years...

Jeff's done OK for himself and earned every cent he has made with this franchise. Good to see he will still be around and, hopefully, retire a Pacer.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

im glad they extended Foster. That was needed
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Jeff's making $5.5m this year. I would say the Pacers gave him a ten percent raise not compounded. That would be $6,050,000 next year, and $6,600,000 his last year. Total, $12,650,000.

This is great news, Foster is a good guy and hard worker. So far I am pleased with what Larry is doing. Of course time will tell.