Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hibbert elbow

Default The Hibbert elbow

I just looked at it on tape (I was there live).

Last night, I thought he'd just hit him in the chest and was quite confused as to why Ely was so mad.

However, now I see that he did pop him in the jaw or face, and I can appreciate Ely being upset about that.

Regardless, I still think Hibbert was not acting maliciously (no way to prove it either way, but I think we can all agree it wasn't OBVIOUSLY intentional), and I still think Ely should have been thrown out for his tantrum/body language/going after Hibbert.

Default Re: The Hibbert elbow

Can anybody post the clip? I still haven't seen it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Last night, I thought he'd just hit him in the chest and was quite confused as to why Ely was so mad.

However, now I see that he did pop him in the jaw or face, and I can appreciate Ely being upset about that.

Regardless, I still think Hibbert was not acting maliciously (no way to prove it either way, but I think we can all agree it wasn't OBVIOUSLY intentional), and I still think Ely should have been thrown out for his tantrum/body language/going after Hibbert.
    I think Ely will be fined for trying to instigate a fight. I'm not sure what else happens to Hibbert, I personally don't this it would warrant a suspension, just the normal fine associated with the ejection.

I hope he doesn't get suspended, I'm looking forward to seeing him play on Friday against Memphis. It will be my last chance to see him live before the season starts, which I'm not sure he'll even be in the rotation to start out this season.

Hicks, I completely agree with you. If Ely hadn't freaked out the way he did, Hibbert probably would have gotten a flagrant and then the game would have moved on. Instead, Ely freaked out and, if I can read lips correctly, was repeating "I'll kill you" over and over again while trying to get at Hibbert. I was impressed with Roy's reaction to the situation. He stood his ground but was obviously trying to diffuse the situation by not reacting to Ely's idiotic behavior. I like that the 21-year-old rookie was acting like the adult in situation and the 28 year old veteran was acting like a 7th grade boy who's girlfriend just cheated on him.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't think it was obvious. This may be a good thing for Roy, learning via preseason,that he could be, (because of the elevation of his elbows), potentially baited for an elbow, (and I'm not saying that was the case with this incident). I do agree that Ely should've been tossed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Link?
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I hope he is playing this friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I hope he doesn't get suspended, I'm looking forward to seeing him play on Friday against Memphis. It will be my last chance to see him live before the season starts, which I'm not sure he'll even be in the rotation to start out this season.

Eh? Friday's game is against Chicago in Fort Wayne, then Monday is at Memphis.

Then still two home games next week at Conseco.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Hicks, I completely agree with you. If Ely hadn't freaked out the way he did, Hibbert probably would have gotten a flagrant and then the game would have moved on. Instead, Ely freaked out and, if I can read lips correctly, was repeating "I'll kill you" over and over again while trying to get at Hibbert. I was impressed with Roy's reaction to the situation. He stood his ground but was obviously trying to diffuse the situation by not reacting to Ely's idiotic behavior. I like that the 21-year-old rookie was acting like the adult in situation and the 28 year old veteran was acting like a 7th grade boy who's girlfriend just cheated on him.
    Melvin wanted to respond to your post.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Hicks, maybe you can turn this into a poll for those who saw it.

I did NOT think it was intentional.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Melvin wanted to respond to your post.....
    HAH I knew I wasn't seeing things when I thought I saw Ely flip off Hibbert. I believe Ely knew it wasn't intentional and he over reacted to get Hibbert kicked out. He flipped off Hibbert right after the ref signaled to toss Hibbert. The wink he gave along with the finger looks like it's to say "Welcome to the NBA rookie".

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Link?
    My own copy from Tivo.

I'm currently making the whole game into a video file, but once it's over I can make a small clip of the Hibbert/Ely thing and put it on YouTube.

*edit* Huh. It said it was only about 50+% done on the taskbar, but when I clicked to bring up the window, it's actually done. I should have the clip on YouTube shortly, in that case.

This will work whenever the video has been processed; I just uploaded it.

[yt]V9W8vftPMdg[/yt]

I don't think Roy should have gotten tossed, but there's definitely no reason Ely would have been. No one ever gets tossed for yelling at a dude and certainly not for "body language."

The one-finger salute will probably get him a fine though.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

That looked like a nothing play to me...odds are he was booted because the refs figured, "Hey, it's a pre-season game. Why even **** with it at all?"

Honestly, it looked like there was more wind-up than follow-through. As if Roy thought about clearing space, started the motion, then stopped. There was a healthy amount of flop from Ely, there, IMO.
    Last edited by count55; 10-09-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Ely is a chump and a bust with a history of questionable behavior. It's no surprise he reacted that way and Roy shouldn't have been penalized for it. Roy is 7 years younger but probably 7 times smarter than Melvin Ely.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ely turned an accident into an incident.
    Pacers,baby!

It looked intentional to me, but not intentional to the face. It looked like he lead with his elbows to clear space, and when you're that big your elbows are always gonna be face high to others.

We were taught at a very young age, to clear space by protecting the ball and sticking out your elbows. If they get caught, then they get caught. That's one of the dangers of bodying up. It shouldn't have been that big of a deal, there was no malicious intent IMHO.

Looked like more flop than flagrant. What an idiot!
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

ahhh I see it now, way after the incident Roy pointed towards his chest and the Ely flipped him off. Ely had Jalen Rose muscles for a second there.

That's a big flop from a big guy. I bet he got a major endorsement deal from Vagasil after the game was over though.

Great career move Ely! Better than any move you've made on the court before.

-- Steve --

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It looked intentional to me, but not intentional to the face. It looked like he lead with his elbows to clear space, and when you're that big your elbows are always gonna be face high to others.

We were taught at a very young age, to clear space by protecting the ball and sticking out your elbows. If they get caught, then they get caught. That's one of the dangers of bodying up. It shouldn't have been that big of a deal, there was no malicious intent IMHO.
    Exactly.

I'll wait for the quote, but I bet you Roy says he had no intentions of elbowing the guy in the face. In the chest? Maybe.

I think the refs made a mistake ejecting him. Just placating a crybaby.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

I think there was no malicous intent there. I wish it would have knocked the little puss out who made it into such a big deal. Everyone clears out space elbows out. If you don't like it, stay out of range.

As far as it goes, it was more of a rook mistake and with any other defender would have been over in a second..

Like Evan said, welcome to the NBA Rook

Every player clears out and i hope he does it 100 more times this season...

Good learing experience for the Young Man

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Looked like a flop to me. Seeing it for the first time, it didn't look NEARLY as bad as I expected.

I'd expected something real... that was nothing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!