Thread: Leonard to Coach Pacers for first preseason game (1st QTR), Croshere to start.

Default Leonard to Coach Pacers for first preseason game (1st QTR), Croshere to start.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3805030.story

Former Pacers coach Leonard expected to coach

Associated Press
    4:57 PM CDT, October 7, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Pacers will have a new head coach -- at least briefly -- when they host New Orleans in their preseason opener Wednesday night.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said he'll spend the first quarter helping on the radio broadcast, while former Indiana coach and current radio commentator Bobby "Slick" Leonard handles his duties from the bench.

The switch was O'Brien's idea to show Leonard "how much we appreciate everything he's done for the organization." Leonard became the Pacers' coach in 1969, leading them to three American Basketball Association championships before the league merged with the NBA.

The game is being played at the Pepsi Coliseum in Indianapolis, home to the Pacers from 1967 to 1974.

"I thought it would be great to have him coach the team and go back to the old days," said O'Brien, who added that everything was approved by the NBA. "We'll have a big lead going into the second quarter and I'll go from there."

Pacers swingman Danny Granger expects the crowd to enjoy Leonard's coaching appearance.

"The fans might really get a kick out of seeing Slick on the sidelines again," Granger said. "He was a coach, so he definitely has a basketball mind. It's way back in the day, but he still knows a lot about the game."

If Leonard wants to draw up plays on napkins, like he used to during his coaching career, O'Brien said the team would accommodate him.

"If that's what he's comfortable with, we will have them out there," joked O'Brien.

Joking aside, every preseason game is crucial for the Pacers, who have nine new players in training camp.

"When you have this many new guys, and you're changing things around, it's important for everybody to learn how to play basketball with each other," said Indiana center Jeff Foster, who returns for his 10th season with the team.

O'Brien plans to switch around his starting lineup through the first four preseason games. He said Wednesday's starters will be guards T.J. Ford and Marquis Daniels, forwards Granger and Austin Croshere, and center Rasho Nesterovic.

Guard Mike Dunleavy (sore knee) and forward Troy Murphy (sore foot), both expected to start in the regular season, will not play against New Orleans, O'Brien said. Reserve point guard Travis Diener (sore foot) also won't play.

"I want to see different combinations of guys when they start, and coming off the bench," O'Brien said. "We don't have a set lineup right now, clearly, because we have some key guys that are out."

Pacers point guard Jamaal Tinsley, who hasn't been at training camp, will not play on Wednesday as the team tries to trade him.

Even though exhibition games don't count toward the regular-season record, O'Brien believes it's important to start building a winning atmosphere.

"When we keep score, we want to win," he said. "Whatever we're doing from a standpoint of developing young guys, and seeing where we are offensively and defensively, we still want to be on the positive side of the ledger at the end."
    Last edited by GrangerRanger; 10-07-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Leonard to Coach Pacers for first preseason game (1st QTR), Croshere to start.

That's a bit odd. Croshere? Wow.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Leonard to Coach Pacers for first preseason game (1st QTR), Croshere to start.

Man, I really wish I could attend this.

Stupid school.

Sports Logo

It would be nice if Slick could choose the Starting Lineup instead of JO'B. Once JO'B comes onboard in the 2nd QTR...he can then bring in his regular lineup.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This just in!

Victor the Wrestling Bear will also be appearing at halftime to wrestle a few lucky fans.

This is unusual and kinda cool. (Slick, not Cro)

The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

This is awesome.

I wish Slick was about 20 years younger and our current head coach (nothing against O'Brien).

As wrong as this may sound, I really hope Slick goes after the Refs and
    gets himself tee-ed up (just once for old times sake).

"I thought it would be great to have him coach the team and go back to the old days," said O'Brien, who added that everything was approved by the NBA. "We'll have a big lead going into the second quarter and I'll go from there."

Hahaha, nice.
    + Respect points

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Stupid school.
    I've heard of going to
    medical school, if you want to practice medicine,
    trucking school if you want to drive a truck,
    business school if you want to be a businessman,
    dental school, if you want to be a dentist,

but why would you need to go to stupid school?

Banned

That is a FANTASTIC idea. But it'll be funny if the Pacers lead by about 10 after the first quarter, then go on to lose the game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    I've heard of going to
    medical school, if you want to practice medicine,
    trucking school if you want to drive a truck,
    business school if you want to be a businessman,
    dental school, if you want to be a dentist,

but why would you need to go to stupid school?

I don't know where it is, or how you get in, but I'm pretty sure I've met some of its graduates.

Originally Posted by Shade

Stupid school.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I don't know where it is, or how you get in, but I'm pretty sure I've met some of its graduates.
    Stupid school = Dee-Dee-Dee High

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This sickens me that i cant go to the game. Wish i could have taken off work tonight
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84