Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JaVale McGee

Default JaVale McGee

I dont under stand why we didnt draft McGee. He seems to fit JOBs system better than Hibbert, and he got drafted one pick after Hibbert. He seem pretty athletic, he can get up and down the court with relative ease and he has a decent jumper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJilDqw8JOY
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo

Default Re: JaVale McGee

It's cuz McGee wasn't NBA Ready and is still considered raw. Bird wanted a guy that can pretty much hit the ground running. Hibbert was the most NBA Ready Center in the Draft.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

From what I've read, McGee isn't the smartest guy in the room either. And that's even when he's all by himself.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

javale mcgee is the next patrick o'bryant...more athletic but a big guy from a small school that was never tested

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Because if Hibbert would have dropped to us, it would have vbeen perfect. And nothing ever goes right for us...
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Dude is a thread-starting MACHINE.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's cuz McGee wasn't NBA Ready and is still considered raw. Bird wanted a guy that can pretty much hit the ground running. Hibbert was the most NBA Ready Center in the Draft.
    make sense...Bird stressed he wanted to draft player that can come in a be ready to play right away (i.e. Rush)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember reading that Hibbert tore Jordan and Javale apart in workouts.

That's why.

But maybe Bird didn't watch that youtube vid.

The more i hear about this Hibbert, the more I am excited, good college good fundamentals, good size, maybe a tickle slow but hey.. if he stays Injury free i hope he's going to be a regular in the rotation..

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post

That's why.

I thought the story was that he did that during his Pacers workout.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

June 2008 called...

Mood

I heard a blog saying that Hibbert actually outplayed them at the Wiz workout. Nothing concrete.

Either way I would rather have Hibbert than JaVale. I wanted Speights.

Awesome.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I heard a blog saying that Hibbert actually outplayed them at the Wiz workout. Nothing concrete.

Either way I would rather have Hibbert than JaVale. I wanted Speights.

It was actually both the Pacers workout and the Bobcats workout (which is why Larry Brown picked up another first round draft pick to get Hibbert). Hibbert from all reports destroyed JaV and DeAndre Jordan during both workouts and as a result the rumor was that either DeAndre or JaVale came up with an excuse to not travel to Toronto for a third workout that would include hibbert. But, sigh, the person to initiate the post is typical of many bball fans and scouts. It doesn't matter that Hibbert has the far better resume and played against far better competition. All that matters is that JaVale can run and jump right? There are a lot of great athletes in the NBA but far too little very good basketball players for my taste. JaVale hasn't shown much of a game other than shot blocks against midmajor centers in college. Sure he can run but he can't pass or shoot which is even more important to O'Brien's scheme. JaVale has been working his tail off and showing some positive stuff here and there in camp but when asked if he thought JaVale would break into the center rotation this season, Wizard coach Eddie Johnson said no. That translates to mean the kid is very raw.

Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    Sure he can run but he can't pass or shoot which is even more important to O'Brien's scheme. JaVale has been working his tail off and showing some positive stuff here and there in camp but when asked if he thought JaVale would break into the center rotation this season, Wizard coach Eddie Johnson said no. That translates to mean the kid is very raw.

Apparently he's improved a lot, because the first knock I read on him was that he had such bad conditioning that he couldn't even run. He was the least polished of the three centers, which says a lot considering DeAndre probably won't be in the league in four years (though it sounds like McGee has a chance somewhere down the line).

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Apparently he's improved a lot, because the first knock I read on him was that he had such bad conditioning that he couldn't even run. He was the least polished of the three centers, which says a lot considering DeAndre probably won't be in the league in four years (though it sounds like McGee has a chance somewhere down the line).

He needed to get in better shape and try harder on the court but he could always run. His ability to get up the floor was a strength for him. How long he could do it was probably more of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer
    There are a lot of great athletes in the NBA but far too few very good basketball players for my taste.
    Amen!
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Mood

i don't think this team needed a player who might be athletic, but are not in shape enough (or intelligent enough for that matter) to utilize such assets. The defensive and offensive system requires you to know what is going on. I don't know much about Nevada's systems, but I be they did not require JaVale to stretch and grow in that area.

Listen the know-how of the game is far more important than is discussed on this board. If athelitic ability was all that is needed then Stromile Swift/Gerald Green/etc needs to be on this team and not people who know how to play the game.

Mcgee and Hibbert have both done nothing in the NBA.

Lets wait and see who is better in a few years. Everybody was dubbing Reggie Bush a bust but he looks very good this season. Is it Kim Kardashian?

Well it's true both haven't done anything, you can clearly tell who is ahead of who on the curve.

McGee's idea of a post move is having his back to the basket, jump, twist in the air, and either dunk or lay it in over 6'7" mid-major center.

To say he's footwork is abysmial (sp?) would be a compliment, because he doesn't have any footwork.

The Pacers want to win now and they'd rather take a guy who is very likely going to be a good defensive presence with probably a decent (10-12ppg) scorer in a couple of years. Compare that with another rail thin "project" with no footwork who is absolutely completely raw and played against no real talented guys during his college career who probably has a 30% chance at best of being a really good NBA player. Hibbert will probably be a much better offensive player than McGee and offense isn't even Hibbert's strength. Pretty obvious pick.

streets ahead

We may not know if Roy is going to make the transition into a quality NBA center but the jury is still out on whether JaVale will be any good at basketball. The Pacers were going for experience in their rookies more than LONG term projects.

I didn't really understand why the Wizards took JaVale instead of trading down once Roy was off the board. Especially considering they already have one 7ft project in Pecherov.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's why.

That's immediately what I thought too!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    The Pacers want to win now and they'd rather take a guy who is very likely going to be a good defensive presence with probably a decent (10-12ppg) scorer in a couple of years. Compare that with another rail thin "project" with no footwork who is absolutely completely raw and played against no real talented guys during his college career who probably has a 30% chance at best of being a really good NBA player. Hibbert will probably be a much better offensive player than McGee and offense isn't even Hibbert's strength. Pretty obvious pick.
    Hate to keep saying it but offense WAS Hibbert's strength. Not defense. His efficiency on O and his skill level was his most special quality.

Listen the know-how of the game is far more important than is discussed on this board. If athelitic ability was all that is needed then Stromile Swift/Gerald Green/etc needs to be on this team and not people who know how to play the game.
    I have this feeling this is going to be Green's breakout year. I could be wrong, but I was always one who wanted to take a chance on Green. I, personally, hope he has a great year for Carlisle.