Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JO chokes under pressure........

Default JO chokes under pressure........

I wish JO nothing but success up north, but I thought that some of you would be interested in seeing this piece about JO failing Sam Mitchell's free throw drill in practice, which forced his teammates to run sprints from the Toronto Star: http://www.thestar.com/article/511661

O'Neal flunks Mitchell free-throw drill

OTTAWA

In the eternal quest for rings brass and championship, the Raptors repeat a mantra now and then: practice like you play.

The goal, in training camp and workouts beyond, is to simulate game conditions. And so they chuck jump shots, not on the half-speed jog, but off crisp hops and bullet passes. They fire up fall-aways with imaginary defenders extended to a finger's breadth of blocking them. And sometimes, as practice nears its end and their legs cement, they shoot free throws with consequences.

The other day, for instance, Sam Mitchell, the Raptors coach, ordered Jermaine O'Neal, the new guy in town, to the charity stripe and the rest of the squad to spread out on the end line. Everyone knew the drill: O'Neal would shoot three free throws, and for each one he missed, his teammates would run an end-to-end sprint.

"That's some pressure, man," Chris Bosh would say later. "You're thinking, `I don't want to mess up.' Nobody wants to mess up in front of everybody. You want to concentrate. You're on the spot and there's more than just your teammates watching."

As heart-pounding situations go, it wasn't exactly Game 7 down by two with no time on the clock. But as O'Neal took aim, the club's executive branch was sitting riveted at courtside. The media bloodhounds were either chowing on gratis doughnuts, or seriously considering it, in the bleachers. And the teammates who would soon be following him to the line for their turn they were nearing the end of the third day of two-a-day workouts and were not in the mood for more self-propelled locomotion.

O'Neal missed one free throw. Then another. Then another. Each time he clanked, you could hear groans or observe eyerolls, and in slow unison one dozen NBAers with a collective income of more than $64 million (all figures U.S.) would set out on the same down-and-back sprint that anyone who's ever played on a humble high school squad has likely dreaded.

"Sprint," in this case, was a gross overstatement. Speed was not of the essence. But as Jason Kapono said: "It's just the principle of having to run for punishment." And Mitchell conceded that the team's slimmed-down roster has meant little rest for the regulars in heated supper-hour scrimmages, so he wasn't demanding more pep.

"If we had 18 guys and we were doing this drill, we would break 'em up into two groups and time 'em down and back," he said. "The object of it was to get 'em to shoot the free throws while they're tired, not to see how fast they can run down there and touch the line."

The object, after today's intrasquad scrimmage, will be a safe return to the team's Bay Street practice court in the lead-up to Tuesday's pre-season opener in Cleveland a game that will simulate real NBA competition, if not quite duplicate it.

As for O'Neal, the only Raptor to miss all three of his attempts in the free-throw drill this while Bosh, Jamario Moon, Kris Humphries and others made all three of theirs fans can take comfort that he's no Shaq. Jermaine's a 70 per cent career charity striper. Mitchell, simulating the way $22.9 million-a-season employees are sometimes coddled after NBA games, took it easy on the big man after practice.

"Hey, he's tired. He's trying to get his legs back. That's why I put him up there (first) ... not to embarrass him," said Mitchell. "But guys got pride. I promise you, if we ever do the drill again and we don't do it every day, I kind of hold it in reserve but I promise you, next time, he won't miss three."

Said O'Neal, shaking his head: "I'm a pretty good free-throw shooter and to miss all three, I was, like, `Man!' But the guys weren't mad at me. Jose (Calderon) told me, `We need more cardio anyway.'"

streets ahead

Default Re: JO chokes under pressure........

Players Must Run, Raptors Blame JO
    This is the darkest timeline.

Love it. Thank you so much.

If Sam Mitchell really thinks JO is going to not only give 100% in 82 games, but also in practice...LOL.

JO's a role player now, and really has been for the past year. He should start taking basketball, including stuff like practices, seriously and set whatever ego he may have aside. I'm not bashing him or anything, but it's the reality now. I understand he may have injury issues, but there can't be anymore stuff like taunting after blocking a shot.
    Last edited by Doddage; 10-04-2008 at 07:21 PM.

I bet J.O is just now realizing ... just how EASY he had it being an Indiana Pacer... Now he is gonna have to work for that paycheck...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Didn't Brett Farve miss a snap or two as well 9questionmark0

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    JO's a role player now...
    I like this part of your post.

I think as long as JO stays healthy and focuses on his role: defense, the Raps will be very happy. If either of those do not come to pass OR if JO tries to do more than he is capable of on offense, the Raps will not be too happy. The more JO strays from his role, the more the Raps will be disappointed in his performance.

The most important factor is his health. It will be interesting to see if he can stay healthy this year. If he plays 80 games...I will be happy for him...but I have to admit I will be ticked as a Pacer fan.

Anyway, JO will have to be the physical player on defense...sorry but I must lol. With that said, the Raps are not contenders. I suppose we're not close either though...

sweabs

JO has been working very hard in practice and has been looking to block any shot that comes in the lane. In practice.

This just in: My grass...is green!

JO choked for us a lot too. I remember at the end of games we used to run plays for him in post, and he used to screw it up big time

It seems a bit odd that a guy missing some free throws in practice is a news item.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Former Pacer shoots and misses his target...teammates injured. More at 11.

It's a drill. . .you guys reading too much into the article. J.O hit big shots down the stretch for the pacers. I'll see how it goes during REAL games.

Basketball players always get mad when they have to run lol. . . Remember Suicides
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Banned

Just give him some time. I'm sure he'll be DOMINATING Raptors practices in no time. Just ask him.

I think hitting 2 with his LEFT HAND after injuring his shoulder, before leaving the game, was a bit more pressure.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    I think hitting 2 with his LEFT HAND after injuring his shoulder, before leaving the game, was a bit more pressure.
    That was the most badass J.O. moment I can remember... I miss him already, real shame that his injuries have soured many people's view of him in the last couple years.
    Pacers.com Guest Blog Post -- Invading The Target Center Post
    Area 55 Conquers Staples Center -- (Honorary) Area 55 Family Invades Target Center!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    That was the most badass J.O. moment I can remember... I miss him already, real shame that his injuries have soured many people's view of him in the last couple years.
    I think you'll find that most people soured on him once they realized he was all talk and no walk. I seriously can't count the number of times that he failed to back up his mouth.

I totally forgot about that. I remember watching this game against denver. I went crazy after he did that. Completely one handed the whole time, he had to balance the ball carefully to even get it above his head. He swished one and banked the other in. The fact that it was with his OFF hand was even better.

To Jermaine Braskey!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Be in a gym long enough, and you'll start shooting with your opposite hand as well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I think you'll find that most people soured on him once they realized he was all talk and no walk. I seriously can't count the number of times that he failed to back up his mouth.
    A lot times he couldn't back it up because he was injured.

When he was healthy he was great. Once the injuries started to mount his game suffered.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

When he was healthy he still didn't do anything in the clutch...

Is this a conventional drill? Because I always thought I would try to do this if I ever found myself in the position of coaching a basketball team (pee wee or whatever). I'm sad, because I thought I invented it. Damn.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, we did it from 6th grade up. Except we did it for one and ones. Missed the first everyone did a suicide, missed the second and it was a down and back.

Sorry to disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    When he was healthy he still didn't do anything in the clutch...
    He actually hit a fair number of clutch shots, all of them jumpers.

I don't remember him ever scoring in the post in a clutch situation, but I also don't consider a post-up to be a valid end-of-game play in today's NBA. You just take too much contact with no whistle.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!