Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Star: Tinsley to Nuggets? Possibly Monday

Default Star: Tinsley to Nuggets? Possibly Monday

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...plate=printart

Tinsley to Nuggets? Possibly Monday

Pacers would get guard Adkins, center Hunter in the purported trade

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

Embattled point guard Jamaal Tinsley remained an Indiana Pacer on Friday, but there is a "strong possibility" he could be traded to the Denver Nuggets as early as Monday, a person familiar with the situation said.

A second person confirmed trade discussions were ongoing and said the Pacers will look for another partner if it falls through.

Both teams denied a report Friday morning that the deal already was done, pending Tinsley passing a physical. Nuggets coach George Karl told Denver reporters he laughed at the possibility.

"I don't think there's anything to it," Karl said.

"It's erroneous," Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien told ESPN.com. "Did Dewey beat Truman?"

Pacers president Larry Bird issued a statement through a team spokesman saying they're "not going to comment on trade rumors" involving their players.

The proposed deal would send point guard Chucky Atkins and center Steven Hunter to the Pacers. Both would have backup roles with the Pacers.

Atkins will make $3.2 million this season and $3.5 million next season, with $760,000 of it guaranteed. He is expected to be out until at least next month following right knee surgery last month. The 7-foot Hunter will make $3.9 million this season and $3.7 million next season. Tinsley will make $21.5 million over the next three seasons. The trade would benefit both teams. The Nuggets need a point guard, and the Pacers would save money, get two players with shorter contracts and, more important, end their relationship with Tinsley.

The trade, however, also would give the Pacers 17 players under contract, two more than the NBA allows. They would have to release or trade two players by the Oct. 27 deadline. They would have to release or trade another if Austin Croshere makes the team.

Tinsley's past three seasons have been marked by injuries limiting his availability and several off-court issues that negatively impacted the franchise. Coach Jim O'Brien lost confidence in Tinsley after last season, and the Pacers told him to stay away from the team while they pursued a trade.

"Unfortunately for Jamaal, some things happened off the court that basically led to this situation," said center Jeff Foster, who has been Tinsley's teammate since 2001. "I think it's best for both parties to go their separate ways, and I think he probably feels the same way. He's probably anxious for something to happen and start new somewhere."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-04-2008 at 08:35 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Star: Tinsley to Nuggets? Possibly Monday

until I get confirmation by Bird I will not accept this as reality.

What???? - So Vecsey was right.

Here is what I don't get. Denver lets Hunter practice, everyone in Denver denies this, they apologize to the Denver players for the hubbub. I mean what is the reality.

It seems that maybe there is a sticking point. In the interim you could make the argument that this is a distraction to the Pacers, when one of the main things to avoid is a distraction.

I'm really at a loss here.

Smooth_for_VICE Pres. Smooth_for_Pres.'s Avatar

There could be a third team?

Well, this is being discussed in the other thread, but the source appears to be Tinsley. He may have jumped the gun on the deal, and Vecsey has a tendency to run his mouth early.

Something is definitely cooking, but may not be completed. I'm struggling to find them, but there were some pretty specific denials from Toronto during the JO discussions.

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Well Vecsey did say in his original report that the deal was contingent
    upon Tins passing a physical examination.

Perhaps Tins hasn't made it to Denver yet for Nuggets team doctors to
    conduct this examination?

Until the deal is signed and closed, of course the teams involved would
    want to remain "mum" and secretive about it...even if it includes denial.

Anything can happen between now and the ink drying if a deal really is
    in the works, so nobody (except reporters) will admit involvement until it is
    officially a done deal just in case something does transpire to derail things.

It would certainly be interesting to find out who leaked this to Vecsey in
    the first place.

Am keeping fingers crossed that this is legitimate.

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/n...y_deal_wo.html

Yes, character issues have to come into play. But what could be the ultimate reason the Nuggets apparently won't acquire banished Indiana point guard Jamaal Tinsley for guard Chucky Atkins and center Steven Hunter?

Money, of course.

The Nuggets last summer gave away center Marcus Camby and his $10 million salary-cap number to the Clippers for next to nothing to avoid luxury-tax hell. Do they really want to risk eventually putting themselves back to where they were?

The New York Post reported Friday the Nuggets would acquire Tinsley pending the point guard passing a physical. The story was refuted by Nuggets coach George Karl and Hunter's agent, Mark Bartelstein, although a source did tell the Indianapolis Star there remains a "possibility'' of the deal going down.
    If the Nuggets were to make the trade, they would risk again having serious luxury-tax problems, especially in 2010-11, when Tinsley is making $7.5 million in the final year of his contract and the deals for Hunter and Atkins will have expired. Tinsley is due to make $6.75 million this season and $7.2 million next season.

If the Nuggets were to make the deal, this season pretty much would be a wash since Hunter makes $3.86 million and Atkins $3.24 million (a combined $7.1 million).

Next season, if the Nuggets plan to keep Atkins, it also would be a wash in such a deal were made. Hunter is due $3.7 million and Atkins $3.48 million (a combined $7.18) million. However, Atkins only has $760,000 of his contract guaranteed so the Nuggets would take on an extra $2.74 million if they're planning to let Atkins go and acquired Tinsley.

However, where the Nuggets really could be hurt financially by a Tinsley deal would be 2010-11, when the contracts for Hunter and Atkins will have come off the books.

Consider who's already under contract that season for the Nuggets:

--Carmelo Anthony, $17.15 million.
    --Kenyon Martin $16.55 million.
    --Nene $11.36 million.
    --J.R. Smith, about $6 million.

That's four players making about $51 million. Also consider the Nuggets may have forward Linas Kleiza, who is more likely than not to have a new Denver contract start in 2009-10, making a salary in the neighborhood of Smith's.

If Tinsley's $7.5 million were thrown in that season, the Nuggets could be staring at six players making an amount not all that far from $65 million. And it should be noted none of this considers the possibility, albeit a remote one, that guard Allen Iverson would be on the payroll in 2010-11 at the age of 35.

The Nuggets gave away Camby to regain some financially stability. Do they really want to risk potentially returning to their former state in 2010-11?

Someone needs to tell that guy to shut up.
    Last edited by Pacers; 10-04-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone needs to tell that guy to shut up.
    Quick, where's the duct tape? He is making too much sense.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Pacers Need A Better GM. !Pacers-Fan!'s Avatar

i dont like this trade...its like getting nothing...
    its gonna be very good 4 denver...tho...

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by !Pacers-Fan! View Post
    Well, getting "nothing" is the best thing you are going to get for Tinsley considering his contract and injury history. That is not even mentioning any "perceived" baggage or lack of character issues.

Also, if getting out from under Tinsley's contract a year earlier and saving nearly $10 million dollars is nothing....I'd imagine the Simons are not going to agree with your assesment.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post

Remember, no matter how much you like Tinsley, he is NEVER going to be a Pacer.
    And he was never going to garner anything postive for this years team in return, getting nothing back is a huge victory.

I was looking at Denver's roster, they will have some interesting personalities, if they add Tinsley, I'll have to keep an eye on it. I don't know if they'll be any good, but I bet they know how to throw a party.

Allen Iverson
    Ruben Patterson
    Kenyon Martin
    Carmelo Anthony
    JR Smith
    Chris Andersen-2 year drug suspension, crazy amount of Tatoos guy

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by !Pacers-Fan! View Post
    I don't have any idea how you can equate washing our hands of Jamaal Tinsley to getting nothing.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I was looking at Denver's roster, they will have some interesting personalities, if they add Tinsley, I'll have to keep an eye on it. I don't know if they'll be any good, but I bet they know how to throw a party.

Allen Iverson
    Ruben Patterson
    Kenyon Martin
    Carmelo Anthony
    JR Smith
    All their missing is Ron Arest and Steven Jackson in that mix..wow
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    They must not need Milk drinkers

Also, Roy Tarpley must not be available.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    On a side note, the other day was Brandan Wright's 21st birthday and he was on a local radio show around lunch hour. Asked what he was doing for his 21st birthday, Wright joked that he was going "to stay away from Stephen Jackson", LOL.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

priceless
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Allen Iverson
    Ruben Patterson
    Kenyon Martin
    Carmelo Anthony
    JR Smith
    This list of players is proof the trade rumor is true and the trade must happen. Add Camby to that list and the talent level has been off the charts in Denver. ...but oh, so obvious why they have accomplished nothing. Sending Tinsley to Denver is probably my favorite location for him.....it just keeps getting better. Get it done!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This list of players is proof the trade rumor is true and the trade must happen. Add Camby to that list and the talent level has been off the charts in Denver. ...but oh, so obvious why they have accomplished nothing. Sending Tinsley to Denver is probably my favorite location for him.....it just keeps getting better. Get it done!
    The reason they haven't accomplished anything is simple: they keep getting beat by teams that are better than them in the 1st round of the playoffs. You weren't really expecting them to beat the Spurs and Lakers, were you?

Writers reference the Camby deal, but a few things to consider:

-- Camby is 34 years old and has 2 years left on his deal. As far as a center, that's pretty old, especially when you're going up against Shaq, Duncan, Yao, etc. day in and day out

-- Nuggets haven't had a starter quality point since Andre Miller left. Not to knock Carter, Atkins, etc. but those guys are role players and backups

-- Nuggets have Nene riding the bench making starter money (about 10 mil a year) and I think the Nuggets are looking for more from Nene this year and expect him to be back healthy and putting up solid numbers.

-- Perhaps the Nuggets knew they could sign a veteran (as they did yesterday in Howard) to add depth to the front court? Always a few bigs available for the min ever year

If and when a deal goes through, I envision a Nugget (or should I say Thugget ), lineup of:

Tinsley, AI, Melo, K-Mart, Nene
    Carter, Smith, Kleiza, Andersen, Howard

You've got 5 starters who will all most likely average 10+ ppg, with AI and Melo at 25+ ppg. The Nuggets would have a solid bench with Smith leading the way and may fill in some holes with some role players. I think that team could be competitive if everyone stays healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    Writers reference the Camby deal, but a few things to consider:

-- Camby is 34 years old and has 2 years left on his deal. As far as a center, that's pretty old, especially when you're going up against Shaq, Duncan, Yao, etc. day in and day out
    Well, the main reason they moved Camby was because out of all the big salaries on the team, his was easily the most movable.

If they could have moved Kenyon Martin instead of Camby, believe me, they would have done it, but I doubt the Clips would have.

I definitely agree. Camby is making around 16 million for the next 2 seasons. No one is taking guys like Nene (another 4yrs/43 mil) or K-Mart (3yr, 45 mil) off your hands for free unless they're able to dump a bad contract or two on you. Camby is a servicable big man who won't give you a lot of offense, but plays pretty good defense and will help compliment Kaman.

It's kind of ironic that people on this board would question what the Nuggets have won. They've been far more successful than us recently, and while they haven't had playoff success, playing against the eventual western conference champions each year is pretty harsh. Still, they've had 50 win seasons, it's real tough to knock that when you're looking at our 35-40 wins seasons.