Thread: Shawne Williams

Default Shawne Williams

After watching last night's game, I really don't think this kid will ever be a consistently productive NBA player. After watching last night's game, he'd probably be the first guy I'd cut. I think we can learn a lot from comparing him to two other players who were on the floor last night: Danny Granger and Julian Wright.

To earn minutes as a youngster in the NBA, you need to either play on a crappy team or specialize and give the coach a reason to put you on the floor. When Danny came into the NBA, he was a fairly well-rounded player, but his calling card, at first, was defense. As his career progressed, he became a very good shooter. Now he seems to be trying to develop his ability to attack the basket and finish. Hopefully the next thing he'll add is attacking and then passing to set up his teammates. The point is that he is developing his game in stages.

Julian Wright was a player that didn't impress me coming out of college. His athleticism was obvious, but he seemed far to unskilled to develop into much of an NBA player. He earned minutes with the Hornets by providing two things: defense and energy. He's still not a skilled offensive player, but, after watching last night's game, it's apparent that he's been working on his jump shot. He's going to push guys like Peja, MoPete, and Posey for playing time. They may even play small ball with him at PF just to get him on the floor.

Then you come to Shawne. What is Shawne really good at? What one skill does he have that sets him apart? What does he do better than other players at his position on our team? What areas of his game have significantly improved since he's been in the NBA? When I watch him I understand why we drafted him. He's a fluid athlete with beautiful jumpshot. At times he looks like the kind of player who could develop into a star. Most of the time, however, all you notice are the things he doesn't do. He doesn't play great defense. He doesn't give the team an energy boost when he comes onto the floor. He doesn't move well enough without the ball to get himself open. He doesn't have a go-to move that allows him to get his jumpshot off uncontested. He's not a great passer. His rebounding is adequate to above average, but not spectacular. Also, in all the fluff PR pieces about different guys who are working really hard and having great summers/training camps, I've never seen one about Shawne. When you combine all this with his off the court issues, he just doesn't really seem worth it anymore.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: Shawne Williams

Nice post.

I think it may be better for all concerned that Shawne move on now. He seemed only mildly interested and no improvement. I hate saying this stuff based on one preseason game, but it seems pretty clear no one involved in him being here is very excited about it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wasn't impressed with Shawne. It would not surprise me, if he doesn't dramatically improve, get replaced by Austin. That would be OK with me.

'Freak..out.

I called in on the aftershow and asked Kevin Lee if he feels the Pacers should cut Instant Offense aka Shawne Williams. He seemed out of shape and his head was not in the game.

I wouldn't cut him, but I sure would use him in making a trade. Someone on this forum thinks Williams will be the leading scoring sub this season! LOL! Personally, I'm just hoping he's part of an upcoming trade.... hopefully with Tinsley. Unfortunately, Bird had better players to choose from when he picked at 17, Bird just made the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I called in on the aftershow and asked Kevin Lee if he feels the Pacers should cut Instant Offense aka Shawne Williams. He seemed out of shape and his head was not in the game.
    What'd he say?

The call in show was at the Fairgrounds and the sound was not great at all. I did not hear everyting but ;He said he is not owed a lot of money, It might happen but it is highly unlikely b/c many teams let their first round draft picks play out their contracts.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I wouldn't cut him, but I sure would use him in making a trade. Someone on this forum thinks Williams will be the leading scoring sub this season! LOL! Personally, I'm just hoping he's part of an upcoming trade.... hopefully with Tinsley. Unfortunately, Bird had better players to choose from when he picked at 17, Bird just made the wrong choice.
    Yeah, like Rajon Rondo.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Ya I agree. Theres no point in cutting him. He should be used in the Tinsley if we dont want him. If we cut him, we'll still going to have to pay him. No point of him sitting at home making money
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Too soon. Don't write him off yet. If Dunleavy or Granger were to go down with a season ending injury, Shawne's skill set would be needed badly.

Moot point now.

And I can't spell so I won't even try cincin....

[QUOTE=Justin Tyme;788128]

I wouldn't cut him, but I sure would use him in making a trade. UOTE]

Well didn't get cut, and he ended up in a trade. Thank you Lord.