Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A slight dissapointment

Default A slight dissapointment

Ok by no means do I want to start off the season on a down note but I want to express one small dissapointment so far in the pre-season. Well it's not really not just in the pre-season it's more of an overall thing.

I am really dissapointed that we are beginning the third season of Shawne Williams career and he is already an after thought. Let's be honest even if there was a glowing piece in the paper about him almost everybody would assume that it was a puff p.r. piece to make everyone feel comfortable with him.

It's just a real dang shame that he allowed himself to get into this position. I never bought into the hype that he was going to be better than Granger but I honestly thought that by this season he would be a lock for our 6th man spot. As it stands I don't even know where he is in the rotation. In truth if he had done some physical work he should also be considered for our p.f. spot.

I would really have liked to have turned on the news and heard O'Brien raving about how Shawne was the hardest worker in camp or how he is pushing everybody to the next level. But with his history, even if this were said, I'm afraid I would be skeptical.

It's not a downer on the team, per say. I just am dissapointed because this time two seasons ago I honestly thought that by now he would not only be on his way but would be dang close to arriving.

Default Re: A slight dissapointment

not sure we can place 100% of the blame on shawne himself. no, he has not put himself in a position to succeed on the court based on his mentality, how he chooses to spend his time off the court, and who he associates himself with. however, rick and shawne's teammates haven't exactly been helpful in shawne's transition from college to the nba...if there was ever a system shawne could flourish in, it'd be job's, so we'll see...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shade, are we still on the Williams wagon?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shawne Williams obviously lacks good judgement skills, as well as a fair amount of common sense.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think because of his history it would be better if Shawne was traded for as much as we can get for him. He and Daniels might entice someone.

I think it is just premature to draw a conclusion here based upon 3 days of training camp of which none of us have seen a second of. lets see if he plays OK during the preseason games
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-03-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thinki it is just premature to draw a conclusion here based upon 3 days of training camp of which one of us have seen a second of. lets see if he plays OK during the preseason games
    Yeah, not many people can describe much of what they saw in just a second.

Who was it that got to see that second of training camp though?

(giggle,giggle,snort)

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I had the same feeling . . . a year ago. But few agreed.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...ad.php?t=34197

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shawne's biggest problem is that he would have been a stretch at #25 in the draft, let alone #17. Somebody fell in love with that damn P-word again. He'd be a college senior now, right? If he had chosen a different path (which would include keeping himself academically eligible, which I doubt that he could do), he probably would have played himself out of Calipari's rotation and completely out of the draft by now.

We blew it. But that draft wasn't very good after about #15, so if we can't find anyone to take him off our hands we should just let his contract expire and be done with him.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I've consistently wondered what people see in him.

He obviously has the potential to be a decent back of the rotation guy (ala Luke Walton, Matt Barnes, Ime Udoka, or Bostjan Nachbar type impact) and Jay is clearly delerious if he thinks the kid wouldn't be a 30 mpg guy in Conference USA at this point...but the idea of him being a starter in this League, let alone an actual difference maker, has honestly never really crossed my mind while watching him play.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I think he would have followed the same path that Jon Bender and Bracey Wright forged.

The more they played, the worse they got.

Bender was a HS lottery pick that played his way to obscurity.

Wright would have been a HS lottery pick but he went to college and spent each of the four seasons lowering his draft status - all the way to being a second rounder.

I think those are the apporiate comparisons. Now, I see your point, Bracey Wright was a 30-mpg guy every year in the Big Ten. But he also showed everybody why he wouldn't amount to anything in the pros.

I'm not sure he's a 30-mpg guy on a national finalist team, though. Maybe a bench guy that gets a 10-14 minute burn.

I see where you're coming from...The previous was just part of my mision to stamp out hyperbole. There is no greater threat to the American family.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

But I live for hyperbole. What will I ever post if I can't make over-the-top criticisms of [pick one: Carlisle/Bird, Foster, zone defense, ajbry/ SJax, Stephen A. Smith, anyone that disparages Chuck Person or Joey Porter, I/M grammar, fat women showing off their tattoos, Cover-2, or any other topics or off-topics.]

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Shade, are we still on the Williams wagon?
    Right now I'd say it has a flat tire.

I still think Shawne has a lot of talent and will be a very good player, IF he can get his **** together. But the latest incident tells me that, though he may be a good kid, he has very poor judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Who was it that got to see that second of training camp though?

And McRoberts sucked during it.

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

And McRoberts sucked during it.
    Didn't Shawne suck two out of three games?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Ok by no means do I want to start off the season on a down note but I want to express one small dissapointment so far in the pre-season. Well it's not really not just in the pre-season it's more of an overall thing.

I am really dissapointed that we are beginning the third season of Shawne Williams career and he is already an after thought. Let's be honest even if there was a glowing piece in the paper about him almost everybody would assume that it was a puff p.r. piece to make everyone feel comfortable with him.

It's just a real dang shame that he allowed himself to get into this position. I never bought into the hype that he was going to be better than Granger but I honestly thought that by this season he would be a lock for our 6th man spot. As it stands I don't even know where he is in the rotation. In truth if he had done some physical work he should also be considered for our p.f. spot.

I would really have liked to have turned on the news and heard O'Brien raving about how Shawne was the hardest worker in camp or how he is pushing everybody to the next level. But with his history, even if this were said, I'm afraid I would be skeptical.

It's not a downer on the team, per say. I just am dissapointed because this time two seasons ago I honestly thought that by now he would not only be on his way but would be dang close to arriving.

As it stands right now, the only other player I've been more disappointed with was Bender (through little fault of his own).

Shawne clearly has more ability than anyone else on the team, and I still believe that. He has a great shot, can drive, post up, pass, rebound, he's active...there is very little he can't do. But he doesn't appear to have the focus and drive, and that's what is going to separate him from Granger.

I'll admit to being one of the people who thought we should trade Granger before trading Shawne, but I've definitely changed my stance (without considering value we could get in return). It all started mid season last year when he stopped receiving playing time in favor of more time for Murph and Daniels. He lost a lot of confidence and never truly recovered.

To be honest, I 100% expect him to be gone before the start of the season, whether it's via trade or release. I'd love to see him get his act together somewhere else, but I don't think he'll ever mature.

I think Shawne's play has regressed (at least last year, obviously I haven't seen him play this year). I thought last season he looked somewhere between lost and uninterested.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

On a semi related note, Obie said on Friday that Marquis Daniels would get 30 minutes a night if the season were to start today. This would cut down on Williams or BRush being in the rotation I think. Unless Shawne is intended to play minutes at the PF rotation.

http://www.1070thefan.com/insider/bl...tryID=10009861

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    On a semi related note, Obie said on Friday that Marquis Daniels would get 30 minutes a night if the season were to start today. This would cut down on Williams or BRush being in the rotation I think. Unless Shawne is intended to play minutes at the PF rotation.

http://www.1070thefan.com/insider/bl...tryID=10009861
    This is the single most discouraging thing I think that I could possibly hear, short of "Danny Granger's run off to join the Hungarian circus" or "In the interest of a real training camp battle, we've decided to give Jamaal another shot at the starting job."

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This is the single most discouraging thing I think that I could possibly hear, short of "Danny Granger's run off to join the Hungarian circus" or "In the interest of a real training camp battle, we've decided to give Jamaal another shot at the starting job."
    I find it interesting, part of me hopes Marquis really has maybe got it and is ready to consistently contribute from his off season work. The other part of me thinks that Marquis hasn't changed but no one else has stepped up to take some minutes.

Either way, I tend to agree with you to an extent. I'd rather B Rush get some minutes under his belt or to see if Shawne can take another step in his progression. Playing Marquis 30 minutes in November doesn't make you a better team in April, nor does it help let you know what you'll have 2 years from now.

Well, hopefully they view Rush and Daniels as both being capable of playing the 2 or 3. If that's the case, and Shawne is out of the picture, there are plenty of minutes to be had.

Yeah, my discouragement is surrounding the threat in PT to both Rush and Jack, not Williams.

My disappointment in Williams is another matter entirely.

I agree with count55. I've had nightmares about Marquis Daniels playing a large role on this squad. Am I willing to give the guy one more chance? Just barely. Though I'd rather not, if given the choice.

In all of my "give minutes to Jack, Rush, Granger and Hibbert" rants, I've never contemplated Daniels as part of the mix.

My estimate of 29 wins this season and 38 next season may both be waayyyyy too high if Rush has to sit on the bench and watch Daniels play.

Just as I don't like the idea of either Granger or Dunleavy playing SG, I don't think either Rush or Daniels would be very effective at SF.

- - - - - - - - -

I sincerely believe this comment was made to showcase Daniels for inclusion in a trade. I don't see any purpose in playing Daniels, Williams or Foster this season and think they are worth more to the Pacers in a trade (even for draft picks) than to take minutes from the young core that will be here in coming seasons.