Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66

Thread: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

  1. #1
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700021874

    It reads like one of those exam questions asking which statement does not belong with the others.

    He was the best high school senior in the country in 2004-05. He was one of the best freshmen in the ACC in 2005-06. He was just the second sophomore in Duke history to be named a co-captain 2006-07. He was in the D-League, twice, in 2007-08.

    Josh McRoberts' storybook career ran into an unexpected plot twist in his first NBA season but now that the Carmel High product is back home again, he's confident he can write the happy ending so many expect.

    "I think it's good to get a fresh start here in Indiana," McRoberts said. "Obviously it's exciting to me home, here with the Pacers, and I think I've been doing everything I can to have a great opportunity and have a great outlook for this year."

    A second-round pick of Portland (No. 37 overall), McRoberts hoped to team with fellow Indianapolis standout Greg Oden in the Trail Blazers' young nucleus. But McRoberts suffered a severe ankle sprain during the first week of training camp and missed more than a month and found himself playing a futile game of catch-up the rest of the season.

    He played in just eight games for the Blazers and twice was sent to the Idaho Stampede of the D-League.

    "I think you try to use everything you've experienced in basketball, in life, anything. Even though it's not the best experience you take from it what you can and learn," McRoberts said. "I think it helped me grow as a person and I think it helped make me more professional as a basketball player. It was tough times, obviously, getting hurt for three or four months at the start of the year, bouncing back and forth between Portland and Idaho in the D-League. It was my goal to stay out of the D-League, so that really put a hit on me, going down there and having to deal with that. But I think it made me better, more prepared, coming into this season."

    Acquired by the Pacers in the trade that brought Jarrett Jack and the No. 13 pick used for Brandon Rush in exchange for the No. 11 pick (Jerryd Bayless) and Ike Diogu, McRoberts moved immediately back to Indianapolis to begin a rigorous summer of workouts in Conseco Fieldhouse, where he became a familiar presence. The 6-10 forward made an immediate impression on Coach Jim O'Brien.

    "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man – quickest off the ground, probably the fastest big man that we have, does a lot of very, very positive things," O'Brien said. "I didn't know a lot about Josh prior to seeing him this summer. I'm very, very impressed with his potential because he is so big, so quick, runs so well. I think he's a guy that we value from the standpoint of the long-term."

    Those words are music to McRoberts, who values being valued. His offseason program demonstrated his willingness to work and his commitment to the game. There's no guarantee he'll play more for the Pacers in 2008-09 than he did in Portland but at least he feels a legitimate part of the program.

    "I think I was brought in kind of as a long-term player," he said. "No matter what happens this year (when his contract expires) hopefully I'll get another opportunity at the end of this year to be back here in Indiana and I'm excited about the opportunity I have. I'm going to try to take advantage of it. I have a much better opportunity here to play. I think the coaches and the staff are more familiar with me and know what I can do and respect what I can do a little more than in Portland."

    In some cases, playing in the old hometown can be a distraction for a player, particularly a young one, because of the preponderance of friends and family. McRoberts, however, is happy to be back with those who comprise his support structure.

    "For some people, it might not be a good thing but for me, I see it as a positive," he said. "I have great people around me, a great family and great friends who won't cause distractions. They'll help me out through the tough times. Being a 6-hour flight away, you don't really have too many people that have your back. I think it'll be good to be here and I'm excited for the opportunity."

    [yt]0h_05479TBU[/yt]

    Fast breaks: No search for a third point guard

    Though Travis Diener could miss all of the preseason and the first two weeks of the regular season recovering from pain in his left foot, O'Brien said the team would not bring in another point guard and that Marquis Daniels would fill in behind T.J. Ford and Jarrett Jack as needed. It will only be a temporary move for Daniels. "We thought having to play him at the point last year really hurt him just because he's not a pure point guard," O'Brien said. " … Our intent (long-term) is not to use Marquis at the point this year."

    Troy Murphy (sore Achilles) joined Diener and Mike Dunleavy on the sidelines for Thursday morning's practice, though his absence was deemed "precautionary" by O'Brien. After practicing twice Tuesday and Wednesday, O'Brien gave the team Thursday night off.

    Jack Ramsay, O'Brien's father-in-law, is back on the sidelines as a camp observer for the second year in a row. Ramsay, 83, coached the Pacers from 1986-88 and was enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1992. "He really enjoys being around hoops and helping me," O'Brien said. "He wants very much for us to succeed and gets the chance to spend a lot of time with his daughter and granddaughter out here. Jack is like the rest of our coaching staff: loves to be in the gym, loves to be in a teaching environment and has forgotten more basketball than I'll ever know so it's wonderful to have him."

  2. #2
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    I really think that McBob will be on this team. Which means that Cro may not.

  3. #3
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,775

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    I didn't realize Jack Ramsay was O'Brien's father-in-law.

  4. #4

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    mcrob looks lean in that video.

    he looked fat at his press conference when he got traded here imo

  5. #5
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,353

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    I'm very, very impressed with his potential
    There's that word....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  6. #6
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Our big men are: Murphy, Hibbert, Foster, Rasho, Croshere, and Baston.

  7. #7
    Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    611

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    I think that having a veteran big unit is a positive but i also see nothing but a positive result from keeping him on as our 15th(?) man.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

    Passion. Pride. Pacers.

    It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only


  8. #8
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    I actually see nothing from keeping him as a 15th man...(or from anyone as a 15th man). It's the 15th man for God's sake. Each of us on this board could take one game in that role and not make a tinker's dam worth of difference.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,442

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's that word....
    If you don't like the word potential, then let me assuage your fears by saying that I don't think McRoberts has much potential in this league. You won't have to deal with that word when it comes to Josh McBobbies.

  10. #10
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's that word....
    I would change that quote slightly and respond with another, but I'm on a 12-step program and I don't want Seth to slap me around again.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  11. #11
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    I have debated whether or not I would address this cynicism towards this kid.

    He has been painted as a Carmel snob who was handed everything and when he actually had to work he folded.

    What of Dun? He needed a different atmosphere to excel. Unfortunately McRoberts has come to the wrong team. Because he gets no fresh start.

    This is not directed at anyone in this thread in particular. But this is directed to those who are unwilling to give someone a second chance, because second chances burnt in the past or because some of the reasons I mentioned above.

    I say let his hard work do the talking and not his disappointing past.
    __________________
    Last edited by Major Cold; 10-02-2008 at 10:46 PM.

  12. #12
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,686

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have debated whether or not I would address this cynicism towards this kid.

    He has been painted as a Carmel snob who was handed everything and when he actually had to work he folded.

    What of Dun? He needed a different atmosphere to excel. Unfortunately McRoberts has come to the wrong team. Because he gets no fresh start.

    This is not directed at anyone in this thread in particular. But this is directed to those who are unwilling to give someone a second chance, because second chances burnt in the past.

    I say let his hard work do the talking and not his disappointing past.
    __________________
    You know, Warren Buffet is a pretty smart guy... your post reminded me of a quote of his I read today that I think applies here:

    "I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future."

  13. #13
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,676

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Marquis Daniels playing point again?! I'd rather have Shawne man the offense.

  14. #14

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    hopefully if josh sticks with the pacers, he convince his good buddy mr. oden to come home in a few years.

  15. #15
    Thank you, Danny. Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,393

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hopefully if josh sticks with the pacers, he convince his good buddy mr. oden to come home in a few years.
    Bring Mike Conley too while you're at it.

  16. #16

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually see nothing from keeping him as a 15th man...(or from anyone as a 15th man). It's the 15th man for God's sake. Each of us on this board could take one game in that role and not make a tinker's dam worth of difference.
    LOL. I remeber when Kite was our 15th man. He actually scored once.

    But McRoberts, let's keep him. I'll take coaches word for it. i don't see how he wouldn't make the team and not have a bench role to start with. If he is our most athletic big then we need to have him in there 20 minutes a game at least, because is he is our most athletic, that means he fits JOB's system the best. Not that he is the best, he just fits the best. So that will give us an advantage.

    Keep McBob! If he gets cut over Tinsley or Croshere I'd be upset. Croshere was on his decline three years ago. He's just not the same Croshere as 2000.

    And I like Baston when he was here but im definitely not sold on him being big for us.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 10-03-2008 at 02:53 AM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bring Mike Conley too while you're at it.
    why stop there? eric gordon and daequan cook should also come to reunite arguably the greatest aau team of all time! conley, gordon, cook, mcroberts, oden.

  18. #18
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . . . because is he is our most athletic, that means he fits JOB's system the best. Not that he is the best, he just fits the best. So that will give us an advantage.
    The way you are reasoning we should have kept James White. A more athletic player will fit any coach's system better than a less athletic player. However there's more to it than being the most athletic. Skill ,and what's between a players ears play their part too.

    The way I look at it is O'B will want to keep the players he thinks will help him the most. Bird will want to keep the best players too, but he will also want to keep players that will help in the future too. That means if they keep Cro over McBob, they think McBob won't amount to anything.

    Knowing this, and knowing Bird and O'B know what they are doing, I won't really care who makes it as a bench player and who doesn't.

  19. #19
    Thank you, Danny. Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,393

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why stop there? eric gordon and daequan cook should also come to reunite arguably the greatest aau team of all time! conley, gordon, cook, mcroberts, oden.
    This probably has nothing to do with Indiana but hey, if we're reuniting people why not reunite TJ Ford and Chris Bosh. Man ... I love to dream.

  20. #20
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Lets reunite reality with this thread.

  21. #21
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,904

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Did I miss something? is Conrad Brunner no longer running Pacers.com

  22. #22
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's that word....
    Shhh!!!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  23. #23
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Considering our big men are:

    Hibbert: Strong, not very mobile
    Foster: Aging
    Murphy: Feet in concrete
    Croshere: Never exactly quick
    Rasho: Big and plodding
    Baston: Relatively quick, vs. those guys

    Of course McRoberts is the most athletic on this roster. Whoop-de-doo.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  24. #24
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did I miss something? is Conrad Brunner no longer running Pacers.com
    Who said he wasn't running it anymore?

  25. #25
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,904

    Default Re: "Josh is by probably a large margin our most athletic big man,"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who said he wasn't running it anymore?
    I guess no one, but I never seen his name on the bylines of the articles and they don't seem like articles he usually writes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •