Thread: New Nintendo DS Announced

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default New Nintendo DS Announced

Nintendo officially unveils Nintendo DSi and online store, coming Nov 1 in Japan for $180

Even before Nintendo announced it, the DSi had been the talk of the town. According to our Japanese correspondent, the DSi will be 12 percent thinner, and will get rid of the GBA slot entirely. The DSi will also include two built-in cameras (one reportedly VGA resolution) and music playback. It will add an SD card slot and internal storage (we don't yet know how much) to enhance its multimedia capabilities. The screens are now slightly larger at 3.25 inches, photos can be synced to the Wii Photo Channel, and the unit will include a free browser application.

Nintendo is also launching the "DSi Shop" to sell content directly over Wi-Fi. Prices for the store, which are also tied into Wii Nintendo Points, will use 0, 200, 500 and 800-point tiers. Until March 2010, 1000 Nintendo points will come bundled with the device.

Nintendo is calling the DSi a "third platform," implying that it's not competing with the DS -- though as a history lesson, the DS was originally a "third platform" against the now-retired Game Boy Advance.

The DSi will launch November 1 in black and white colors. It will cost 189,000 (approx. US $178). We won't fault you for misreading this as "iDS," given the very iPod Touch-esque additions.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/02/ni...-nintendo-dsi/
    Official Japansese site for Nintendo DSi:
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsi.html

This is awesome! It has a lot new features and still will continue to beat out the PSP in sales. I can't wait for it to be released in the US!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: New Nintendo DS Announced

Yippy!!!!

Very impressive that they can sell this device at this price point. I've got a DS Lite, and this makes me want to upgrade

I rather love my DS. The one for the US won't launch till late 2009 however. Seeing how the DS is selling ridiculously well at the moment, there's no need. Japan's a bit more saturated, with about 1/2 households having one.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.