Thread: What Do You Guys Think About the Rockets?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What Do You Guys Think About the Rockets?

Let's lay it out there. The Rockets added Ron Artest and Brent Barry. Tons of questions immediately come to my mind and I'm sure you guys have a lot of opinions regarding the Rockets too. The questions that come to mind are:

1. What are their chances of Ron lasting the whole season without an incident?

2. Even if there is some controversy, will it derail the Rockets?

3. Is playing with TMac and Yao, perennial All-stars and the clear-cut leaders of that team, the perfect situation for RonRon (many have rumored that if Ron was in a situation where it was clear that he was not the best player on the team he would be less of a distraction - ala Dennis Rodman on the Bulls)?

4. How many wins do you think the Rockets will have this season?

5. Will they make the playoffs and if so, how far do you think they will advance?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What Do You Guys Think About the Rockets?

Unfortunately for the Rockets, basketball isn't played on paper. If it was, they'd win every time. I think they're an injury (T-Mac and/or Yao) and/or a blowup (Artest) waiting to happen. I will be categorically stunned if this team meets or exceeds expectations. They're more likely to underachieve than any other team in the league right now.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Have Artest. Will Collapse.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I think if they can get everyone on the same page.. and avoid any injuries with Yao or TMac, that the Rockets will easily be one of the top 5 (maybe top 3)defensive teams in the NBA . Not only that , but I see them going deep in the playoffs this year in the Western Conference.. I can see them getting between the 3rd and 6th seed .. But only if they remain injury free , and only if Artest can keep his composure and develop good team chemistry..
    I think Ron will work out great with this group of guys .. (at least I hope so for his sake)

The Rockets are going to be one of the many interesting teams to watch this year..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

I think injuries are going be a bigger problem than Artest.

I think if they're fortunate with their physical health, they'll show flashes of brilliance, perhaps even advance deep into the playoffs, but ultimately not go as far as they want, and this will be their last/best hurrah during the McGrady/Yao era.

If there are only minor and not a major Artest incidents, Ronnie brings a toughness that the Rockets were lacking. They have the potential on paper to be the dominant defensive team, although with Adelman's system that isn't going to happen. They could definitely compete for a title. Ron was a pretty good camper his first year in Sacramento, and this is a far better situation for him. To me, his strengths are all of McGrady's weaknesses. It could work out extremely well...or just as easily blow up and ruin one of the last chances for a McGrady/Yao run at the title.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last year they had the longest winning streak. All without Yao and some without TMac. Adelman is the real deal. Artest will be fine this year. If anything the injuries will massage his ego, cause he will quickly be the number one option.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think they'll be pretty damn strong, personally. I think even Rontard will behave himself this year, with Yao and TMac to set him in place. The big question mark for me is health... Yao and TMac both spent time on the mend last year, and TMac misses games every year.

They'll still be a strong team, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    If there are only minor and not a major Artest incidents, Ronnie brings a toughness that the Rockets were lacking. They have the potential on paper to be the dominant defensive team, although with Adelman's system that isn't going to happen. They could definitely compete for a title. Ron was a pretty good camper his first year in Sacramento, and this is a far better situation for him. To me, his strengths are all of McGrady's weaknesses. It could work out extremely well...or just as easily blow up and ruin one of the last chances for a McGrady/Yao run at the title.
    If Ron was ever going to have a season where he behaved himself, his last big contract year would be it. I think more hinges upon Alston not doing stupid things. I think he is the vocal leader of that team and if he goes off the rails then it will destabilize the team. Tmac, yao, battier are all quiet types.

I'd love to see Ron make it deep into the west.

The greatest team in the history of surgery and Psychosis!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

If healthy, I say they win the west. but thats a fairly big If.

Artest's post brawl antics have been blown a bit out of proportion. Playing for a coach he likes and next to big names like yao and mcgrady, I think he keeps it in line. We shall see...
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

if healthy, the rockets imo have the best team in basketball. problem is "healthy rockets" is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    if healthy, the rockets imo have the best team in basketball. problem is "healthy rockets" is an oxymoron.
    Exaclty, this is the problem. They could win it all if they stay healthy. They should just not play Yao until after the break, so maybe he won't get hurt at the end of the year like he always does, right before the PF's.

But I love Hakeem. He definitely was the dream. He was one of the best to ever play the game. I don't think I like Yao. He is injury prone and from China.

China. Communism, censorship, no freedom, no liberty, no religion. Building their military, but for what? To scare us?

Not to Blame Yao, he just represents China, and China represents opression. Healthy he is just the most dominant big man hands down, so I'm conflicted.

Am I wrong for that?

I would say "If they are healthy and if Ron had his head on straight"

In other words, (impossibility)^2

Too bad McGrady is already hurt, but that means more time for the artest+Battier combination which might be the best combination of two perimeter defenders since Jordan and Pippen in their prime.

they are an interesting team and I have always liked that franchise, but acquiring Ron will ultimately bea terrible mistake

You guys act like Ron is mentally/ physicall/ chemically capable of accepting that another player on the team is the "star" and/or "leader".

If he stays on his meds, maybe. But he's never shown a willingness to do so.

This has explosive, "movie of the week" potential. Stephen Segal is auditioning for the role of Coach Adelman right now.

Title contender, definately!

I think the Rockets will be "explosive."

Take that as you wish.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    You guys act like Ron is mentally/ physicall/ chemically capable of accepting that another player on the team is the "star" and/or "leader".

If he stays on his meds, maybe. But he's never shown a willingness to do so.

This has explosive, "movie of the week" potential. Stephen Segal is auditioning for the role of Coach Adelman right now.
    i'm sorry but jo should have never been the designated "leader" to those pacers teams. ron meant so much more to our winning than did jo. if i were ron, i wouldn't be too quick to call t-mac or yao the leader(s) either. t-mac has NEVER lead his team to a playoff victory and yao is much to passive to ever be considered a true leader imo.

I must of missed it when Ron Artest showed anyone the way to the promise land...
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

i'm sorry but jo should have never been the designated "leader" to those pacers teams. ron meant so much more to our winning than did jo. if i were ron, i wouldn't be too quick to call t-mac or yao the leader(s) either. t-mac has NEVER lead his team to a playoff victory and yao is much to passive to ever be considered a true leader imo.
    What about Reggie? Ron was only here about 20 games after Reggie retired before the last of his many trade demands (his public one). Who says JO was even the leader at that time. Reggie was trying to defer to JO, so that at least tells me that Reggie thinks JO was more capable of leading than phsycho-Ron.

What about Reggie? Ron was only here about 20 games after Reggie retired before the last of his many trade demands (his public one). Who says JO was even the leader at that time. Reggie was trying to defer to JO, so that at least tells me that Reggie thinks JO was more capable of leading than phsycho-Ron.
    most insiders believe reggie was being forced to pass the reigns over to jo.

If that is the criteria you want to use...

Most insiders believe Ron was a jealous, undermining, selfish P.o.S. that didn't give a rat's @$$ about winning, just his contract and status/ reputation. He wasn't challenging JO's authority because he thought he would be a better leader than JO, he was jealous of JO's contract and status. He wasn't challenging Carlisle because he believed a different gameplan would help the team, he believed a different gameplan would help his contract/ status. The guy never played a minute of 'help' defense but was the first guy to point out when him teammates needed help on defense.

I don't see any reason to believe he has suddenly found a magic "good teammate" formula.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If that is the criteria you want to use...

Most insiders believe Ron was a jealous, undermining, selfish P.o.S. that didn't give a rat's @$$ about winning, just his contract and status/ reputation.
    Most outsiders thought that too!

Ron has had a lot of issues away from basketball the past few years and he's going to say stupid things and have 4 or 5 games where he goes nuts with fouls. Still his production has been pretty consistent. If the Rockets can overlook his goofiness and they stay healthy, they'll be the team to beat.

I don't expect that to happen but still I'll be watching them a lot this year just to see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the Rockets will go to Denny's.