Thread: Macs will kill you! Buy a PC!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Macs will kill you! Buy a PC!

Interesting article:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2319

Toxic Mac Pro’s emitting benzene?

Mac Pro owners, listen up.
    A french newspaper Liberation.fr has published a report (English translation) stating that Mac Pro owners run the risk of getting diseases as dangerous as leukemia (blood cancer) simply by using their computer. The newspaper was warned by a national agency scientist that the smell (already detected by many Mac Pro users on Apple forums) is actually toxic, composed of several toxins, including benzene.

An Apple Core reader requesting anonymity, sends the following details:
    Here’s a proof that the smell problem was previously known, check this page.
    The real news here is that the smell is toxic… but still no official answer from Apple. I’ve submitted this piece of news to let english-speaking Mac Pro users know about it (since it was published in french). Libération is a very well known newspaper in France, it’s not a blog or anything like that, so normally you should be able to trust this article.

I just called AppleCare (in France). They confirmed the problem but they told me it only concerned Mac Pros built before 2008 (without mentioning if being built in China was a condition, as suspected by users on the Apple forums). Mine is early 2008 so I should not worry they said.

When I asked them to send me this answer in written form, even by e-mail, they refused. They put me on hold for 40 minutes to forward me to the customer relations service, but apparently they didn’t want to talk to me so I got instead a level 2 technical agent who told me the exact same thing: don’t worry, we guess your Mac Pro is safe, but we can’t confirm in written form which Mac Pro have toxicity problems until Apple decides to communicate about it. Apple did nothing since they knew of this problem, which may be in the beginning of 2007, so we can still wait very long for any change in their policy…

The fact that my Mac Pro may not be concerned is not the problem I have with their answer. The problem is that I could very well own one of those toxic Mac Pro and never know about it, with Apple never issuing a Mac Pro recall to prevent serious health problems. Considering the problem exists for more than a year, some people have been knowingly exposed to toxins, and if some of them ever develop a blood cancer it will not be before some years, and Apple will silently get out of this problem. This problem is as bad for Apple as the contaminated milk problem for China, and it may very well be the first scandal of this kind in the computer industry.

Apple doesn’t want to confirm which Mac Pro have a problem because they know users could sue them for this reason. I invite all Mac Pro owners around the world to send a letter to Apple and ask them which Mac Pro have the toxicity problem, in written form. If Apple doesn’t change its methods very fast, a class-action lawsuit may unfortunately be the next step…

Anything will kill us. Cell phone waves give us brain cancer, rolling around in the nearby retention pond makes us glow. It looks like an apple a day will not keep the doctor away!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Macs will kill you! Buy a PC!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Coming from ZDNet, I believe it's credible. The good thing is that its the pre-2008 Mac Pro's, so everyone stay calm!!! LOL

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Interesting article:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2319

Anything will kill us. Cell phone waves give us brain cancer, rolling around in the nearby retention pond makes us glow. It looks like an apple a day will not keep the doctor away![/indent]
    Clever.

Who wrote it for you?

This only applies to Mac Pros, and not Macbook Pros, right? I've never smelt anything but just want to be sure...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Macs blow. PCs FTW.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Clever.

Who wrote it for you?
    Sometimes my sense of humor can be bland...

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This only applies to Mac Pros, and not Macbook Pros, right? I've never smelt anything but just want to be sure...
    Just the Mac Pros built before 2008. This does not include their line of notebooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Macs blow. PCs FTW.
    w00t!

Posers. My wife can build her own computer and install Linux on the bare iron. And she'd never seen the inside of a computer until we got married.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Posers. My wife can build her own computer and install Linux on the bare iron. And she'd never seen the inside of a computer until we got married.
    ...okay?

Congrats to her, BTW. It takes a lot to build a computer if you don't have a vast knowledge of the components.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...ne-in-mac-pros

Apple's own investigation into the claims, however, hasn't turned up any evidence of benzene emanating from Mac Pros. "We have not found anything that supports this claim, but continue to investigate it for the customer," Apple spokesman Bill Evans told Macworld.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    Ah, another "internal investigation" that turned up nothing detrimental to it's own company.

SHOCKING, I TELLS YA!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Ah, another "internal investigation" that turned up nothing detrimental to it's own company.

SHOCKING, I TELLS YA!
    No surprise there...