Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wells practice impressions

Default Mike Wells practice impressions

Here is the Mike Wells take on the first day of practice for the new look Pacers!

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS04/80930076

Indiana Pacers coach Jim O'Brien didn't waste time or words today stressing how defense will determine whether the team returns to the playoffs.

Today's first practice concluded with five-on-five drills, including one in which O'Brien said the only goal was to keep the offense out of the paint. He also reminded his defense the importance of every possession.

O'Brien told players that they allowed 1.5 more points per game than they scored last season.

O'Brien said every possession is potentially a 6-point swing, and told his defense to dive on the floor and come up with loose balls.

Check back later this afternoon as Mike Wells blogs about his first impressions of the new-look Pacers at IndyStar.com/pacersinsider.
    Last edited by IndyBball; 09-30-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Default Re: Mike Wells practice impressions

This should please UB.

Did me too.

hehehe

That does please me. But more than anything I'm most pleased that basketball is back!!!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hehehe

That does please me. But more than anything I'm most pleased that basketball is back!!!!!
    You and me both. Let's get to work, guys!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    hehehe

That does please me. But more than anything I'm most pleased that the NBA is back!!!!!
    Fixed.

True basketball fans watch more than just the professionals.

I wasn't thrilled with some of the things we did last year from a coaching standpoint but I held out hope it was all about getting some players some confidence back and seeing what we had in raw ability before really trying to install a more disciplined system once a team was assembled for this season.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

O'Brien feels Rasho is a weapon. Everytime he gets the ball good things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Fixed.

True basketball fans watch more than just the professionals.
    Oh, good. Person # 23059258205982 to tell us we're not a true fan because of ____________

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess the smiley wasn't enough. Next time I'll wrap the joke with sarcasm tags.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I guess the smiley wasn't enough. Next time I'll wrap the joke with sarcasm tags.
    clearly Hicks isn't a true fan of your work
    This is the darkest timeline.

Today's first practice concluded with five-on-five drills, including one in which O'Brien said the only goal was to keep the offense out of the paint. He also reminded his defense the importance of every possession.

O'Brien told players that they allowed 1.5 more points per game than they scored last season.

O'Brien said every possession is potentially a 6-point swing, and told his defense to dive on the floor and come up with loose balls.

The importance of every possession: Great stuff. We're talking about a lot fewer games where the Pacers fall 10 points down in the first quarter.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    The importance of every possession: Great stuff. We're talking about a lot fewer games where the Pacers fall 10 points down in the first quarter.
    Not to pick on your quote, but I'm hoping for more results and less talk this year.

Your quote was fine, I just saw a chance to use it out of context to make a point.

He's updated it again:

You can't beat Pacers coach Jim O'Brien and the way he runs practices.

O'Brien's the only coach I've covered in the NBA, albeit I've only covered three - Flip Saunders and Rick Carlisle were the other two - that allows the media see more than just free throws and individual drills at the end of practice.

O'Brien allows the media to watch scrimmages. He doesn't hold back voicing his unhappiness if he doesn't like what he sees.

No one should be shocked that the Pacers spent most of Tuesday's practice working on their defense. Jeff Rabjohns will have a story on their defense in Wednesday's paper.

One of the most surprising things I heard out of practice was O'Brien's glowing regard for Rasho Nesterovic's passing ability

O'Brien stopped a drill and told his players to look to give Nesterovic the ball. Not for his scoring, but for his passing.

"Rasho's a weapon," O'Brien said. "For the 15th time, if you pass him the ball something good will happen."

Speaking of passing, Roy Hibbert could be pretty effective distributing the ball from the elbow. He attempted a couple of backdoor passes during practice.

That's good news for Sunshine, who continues to remind me about how much Hibbert will help the Pacers this season.

--I've had some people say the Pacers brought Austin Croshere to camp to help out PR wise.
    Don't believe it.
    I'm definitely not calling a Croshere a savior or anything like that, but he's on a mission to make the roster and force team officials to possibly cut two players.
    I don't recall seeing him miss a shot in the practice.
    I think he'll help from the locker room standpoint. He's always carried himself well and did the right things. He also gives great quotes to the media.

--O'Brien is stressing not to over dribble the ball. He constantly told his players to keep the ball moving. He believes over dribbling allows teams to catch their breath. He doesn't want that. He wants constant ball movement so they can wear teams down throughout the game.
    I'm fascinated by the fact that both of our two new centers are allegedly quite good passers for their position.

Glad to hear Croshere doing well, too. I'm rooting for him to beat out McRoberts and Baston. Not purely a heart pick, but that's a big part of it.

Saw some footage on Channel 13 news, one clip of B Rush picking Danny's pocket as he was trying to take him off a pick and roll. Both dove on the floor after B Rush knocked the ball out.

You'd think Wells could've snuck this in somewhere........

Dunleavy misses practice with sore knee

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=9100899
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo

That concerns me. They go from "the injury doesn't seem to be serious" to "he couldn't practice if he tried."

Hopefully it's nothing and he's 100% by the season opener. My biggest concern would be if it's something that bothers him all season long.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He'll be okay. This just goes to show how hard this guy works to become the player we was expected to be.

Sunshine has taken control!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I wasn't thrilled with some of the things we did last year from a coaching standpoint but I held out hope it was all about getting some players some confidence back and seeing what we had in raw ability before really trying to install a more disciplined system once a team was assembled for this season.

-Bball
    Man, for a guy with basically no sunshine rep, that's a darn hopeful interpretation of last year's pitiful offensive schemes.

Sure hope you're right.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Yeah Channel 13 WTHR had by far the best report last night at about 5:50 (they had a little shorter version in their 11:00 news) Also noticed jack Ramsey was there and seemed to be right in the middle of things - not that I could see if he was helping to coach at all, but he wasn't just sitting along the sidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm fascinated by the fact that both of our two new centers are allegedly quite good passers for their position.
    Using our big men as passers and facilitators was one of the best things that O'Brien did last year. JO and Murphy both averaged over 2 assists a game last season. Foster's assist numbers doubled. Even Harrison was making good passes at times last season. Now we've brought in two bigs (Rasho and Roy) who are both good passers and jump shooters. It sounds like a big in the high post feeding cutters like Rush and Granger and Dunleavy should be quite effective. If we get better at finishing...
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Sports Logo

As Wells suggested...if Croshere is somehow kept......we would have to cut 2 players......I have ZERO problems with cutting McRoberts.

My assumption would be that we could somehow move Tinsley in some "2 for 1" deal to somehow pair down our roster......but if we don't move him.....then who else do we cut?

When is the latest that we have to finalize our roster?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think we have until late October. Probably around the 20th or so?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I think we have until late October. Probably around the 20th or so?
    So, I guess that means that if we want to keep Croshere over McRoberts..... we have until then to figure out some "2 for 1" deal for Tinsley?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

You've also got the possibility they keep Croshere on the line until they get the trade done. He may not make the roster right off the bat, but at least he got in here, practiced, learns the scheme for then "the move" takes place