Thread: Have Faith in Donnie!!

Default Have Faith in Donnie!!

I have heard a lot of people concerned that we will end up trading for T-mac and loose way too much. I Don't see it happening. Donnie himself said it is a 2 for 1 trade. Now maybe some other people will get thrown into the mix but Donnie has a history of getting the better end of every trade. Loosing Brad Miller was probably the only area he failed. Some might argue Davis for Bender trade was a bust too but that is still yet to be seen. So what I am saying is just trust Donnie. Even if the deal doesn't look good on the surface he always seems to end out on top.

Default Re: Have Faith in Donnie!!

I have heard a lot of people concerned that we will end up trading for T-mac and loose way too much. I Don't see it happening. Donnie himself said it is a 2 for 1 trade. Now maybe some other people will get thrown into the mix but Donnie has a history of getting the better end of every trade. Loosing Brad Miller was probably the only area he failed. Some might argue Davis for Bender trade was a bust too but that is still yet to be seen. So what I am saying is just trust Donnie. Even if the deal doesn't look good on the surface he always seems to end out on top.
    We can't trust Donnie.

Bird was hired to be in charge of basketball operations, that includes trades and drafts, so who knows what to expect. *

[size=9:a88bbf702b]*Disclaimer. Bulletproof and Peck think otherwise and will dispute that fact.[/size]

[size=9:34706c29d8]*Disclaimer. Bulletproof and Peck think otherwise and will dispute that fact.[/size]
    You can add me to the list as well... tho I think Bird has plenty of input.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

[size=9:e60b7a53f5]*Disclaimer. Bulletproof and Peck think otherwise and will dispute that fact.[/size]

-Bball
    Me too.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

[size=9:04fa9321d2]*Disclaimer. Bulletproof and Peck think otherwise and will dispute that fact.[/size]

-Bball
    Me too.
    Me three.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Bird has the power , but Donnie has the Final Veto and it would make no sense to hire Bird if Donnie is still gonna do all the footwork

Donnie clearly brought Bird back to build a championship team , no sense in hiring Bird if Donnie is gonna make all the decisions and do all the work.

Bird won't do a deal that Donnie is not on board with.

I'll say this again, I have 100% confidence in DW, Bird and carlisle that the "right trade" will be made. If a trade occurs that I don't "like" and question I'll tell myself well they know what is going on a lot more than I do

I think Bird has the power , but Donnie has the Final Veto and it would make no sense to hire Bird if Donnie is still gonna do all the footwork

Donnie clearly brought Bird back to build a championship team , no sense in hiring Bird if Donnie is gonna make all the decisions and do all the work.
    Yep, you're right. All Donnie does all day is kick his feet up on his desk with his hands folded behind his head, approving what Larry does from time to time with a wave of his hand. Cush job.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yep, you're right. All Donnie does all day is kick his feet up on his desk with his hands folded behind his head, smoking cigarettes,approving what Larry does from time to time with a wave of his hand. Cush job.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Yep, you're right. All Donnie does all day is kick his feet up on his desk with his hands folded behind his head, approving what Larry does from time to time with a wave of his hand. Cush job.

Hmmph, sounds like what I do (instead of what I'm supposed to be doing).
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Where did I say Donnie doesn't do work ? you need to re read what I wrote
    I think they both share equal amounts of work and roles , I am sure they talk and decide as a team and not cause 1 person says we have to do this or don't do this.

Where did I say Donnie doesn't do work ? you need to re read what I wrote:

I think they both share equal amounts of work and roles , I am sure they talk and decide as a team and not cause 1 person says we have to do this or don't do this.
    Ladies and gentlemen, we finally have a winner.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_030711.html

[size=18:0ff8530041]Bird Returns to Franchise
    as President of Basketball[/size]
    By Conrad Brunner

Indianapolis, July 11, 2003 - Even while taking a step back, professionally, Donnie Walsh found a way for the franchise to make a giant leap forward.
    In a move that stunned the basketball world and electrified Pacers fans Friday morning, Walsh announced the hiring of Larry Bird as the President of Basketball Operations. Walsh, who had been the franchise President, assumes the title of CEO. He will continue to negotiate all contracts while helping Bird with the transition to his new job. Bird, who began work immediately after the news conference announcing his hiring, will oversee the rest of the basketball operation.

“It basically means he will become responsible for the day-to-day operations of Pacers basketball,” Walsh said. “What that includes is pretty much everything – administration, coaching, players, scouting, training, video and whatever else has the tag basketball on it . . .

[color=darkred:0ff8530041]Walsh said that Bird was responsible for PLAYERS. That would also entail making the decision on draft choices and trades.

Of course they work together, and of course if Bird does something Donnie doesn't like he can fire him. But it's Bird's who makes the decisions on anything that has a basketball tag on it!

What's everybody's answer to the following question?

It's draft night in the Pacer's war room. Bird, Donnie, Carlisle, Brown, the other coaches. and all the scouts are there.
    It's the Pacers turn to pick and the guy they had targeted at #29 is there for them to take. Inexplicably however a player they thought would go in the top fifteen is available. Half the room, including Walsh, want to stay with their targeted player. The other half, including Bird, wants to pick the player they thought was a top fifteen pick. The Pacers are on the clock and have five minutes to make a pick. Who makes the decision on who to pick? Remember Walsh and Bird disagree. Walsh, or Bird?

All I have been saying all along is when it gets down to such situations it's Bird's call.[/color]

It's draft night in the Pacer's war room. Bird, Donnie, Carlisle, Brown, the other coaches. and all the scouts are there.
    It's the Pacers turn to pick and the guy they had targeted at #29 is there for them to take. Inexplicably however a player they thought would go in the top five is available. Half the room, including Walsh, want to stay with their targeted player. The other half, including Bird, wants to pick the player they thought was a top five pick. The Pacers are on the clock and have five minutes to make a pick. Who makes the decision on who to pick? Remember Walsh and Bird disagree. Walsh, or Bird?

.[/color]
    A top five player has dropped to #29 and half the room (including Walsh) wants to stay with their planned pick at #29?

Is there drinking going on?

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Will, I don't know the answer to that.

It's the Pacers turn to pick and the guy they had targeted at #29 is there for them to take. Inexplicably however a player they thought would go in the top five is available. Half the room, including Walsh, want to stay with their targeted player. The other half, including Bird, wants to pick the player they thought was a top five pick. The Pacers are on the clock and have five minutes to make a pick. Who makes the decision on who to pick? Remember Walsh and Bird disagree. Walsh, or Bird?

.[/color]
    A top five player has dropped to #29 and half the room (including Walsh) wants to stay with their planned pick at #29?

Is there drinking going on?

-Bball
    The scenario was exaggerated, the point would be the same if it was a top 15 pick that had fallen. In fact I will change it.

[size=18:db104e2208]Bird Returns to Franchise
    By Conrad Brunner

Indianapolis, July 11, 2003 - Even while taking a step back, professionally, Donnie Walsh found a way for the franchise to make a giant leap forward.
    In a move that stunned the basketball world and electrified Pacers fans Friday morning, Walsh announced the hiring of Larry Bird as the President of Basketball Operations. Walsh, who had been the franchise President, assumes the title of CEO. He will continue to negotiate all contracts while helping Bird with the transition to his new job. Bird, who began work immediately after the news conference announcing his hiring, will oversee the rest of the basketball operation.

“It basically means he will become responsible for the day-to-day operations of Pacers basketball,” Walsh said. “What that includes is pretty much everything – administration, coaching, players, scouting, training, video and whatever else has the tag basketball on it . . .

[color=darkred:db104e2208]Walsh said that Bird was responsible for PLAYERS. That would also entail making the decision on draft choices and trades.

Of course they work together, and of course if Bird does something Donnie doesn't like he can fire him. But it's Bird's who makes the decisions on anything that has a basketball tag on it!

It's the Pacers turn to pick and the guy they had targeted at #29 is there for them to take. Inexplicably however a player they thought would go in the top fifteen is available. Half the room, including Walsh, want to stay with their targeted player. The other half, including Bird, wants to pick the player they thought was a top fifteen pick. The Pacers are on the clock and have five minutes to make a pick. Who makes the decision on who to pick? Remember Walsh and Bird disagree. Walsh, or Bird?

All I have been saying all along is when it gets down to such situations it's Bird's call.[/color]
    That's just...silly.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Why silly BP? USing DW's words Bird is in charge of players.
    In every situation there has to be somebody with a 51% vote. SOmebody has to be able to say YEA or NAY when it comes right down to it. We are giving DW control of the purse strings. But say if there is a disagreement in the end player evaluation calls are made by Bird. Now if it can't work becasue of Money the DW can nix it but if it is based on talent then it's Birds call.

Are we wrong? and how do you know that we are wrong?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I suppose since Walsh has retirement in his sights he would make his case to Bird but end by saying "It's your call."

It's Bird who has to live with the pick in a couple of years. Donnie will be gone.... supposedly...

-Bball

EDIT: This is all assuming Bird wouldn't respect DW's opinion enough to change his own mind IF he couldn't change Walsh's mind.

EDIT #2: I think Bird would give in to DW's wishes out of respect.

------

-John Wooden

In the example, which is a never occurring situation because they make a list upfront and the highest available player will be picekd, and I am sure that list even includes teh #1 pick "just in case", it would be Bird's call, however........ DW CAN nay the call.

There is a simple structure, CEO : > : President(s) yes there are more, finance is one, bball is another one.
    Presidents have a certain power and responsibility, but no carte blanche, The Chief Executive Officer has the final responsibility and if he deems a decision made by another officer of the company detrimental to the company in any way he will have to overturn that decision.

But why are we even discussing this, DW handpicked LB, they are both great bball minds, they agreed in the off-season last year, I have no doubt that they will this year.

Over the coming years more and more undoubtedly DW will leave the entire decision to LB as his retirement nears. For now he will point out what he knows and LB will listen to that, being the "inexperienced" one of the two.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

In the example, which is a never occurring situation because they make a list upfront and the highest available player will be picekd, and I am sure that list even includes teh #1 pick "just in case", it would be Bird's call, however........ DW CAN nay the call.

[color=darkred:585a8b569e]Sure he can, nobody is saying differently. But if he over rules Larry as a talent evaluator Larry is probably gone because he was hired to make those decisions.

Maybe you don't remember, or didn't read them, but there were reports in the IndyStar that Larry disagreed with Donnie when he chose Bender over Shawn Marion, so Donnie made up for it by getting Foster.

I might also point out that Bird really loves the Celtics, but he left there because they wouldn't do what he wanted. Why would it be different here? He respects Red Arubuck(S?) as much as Donnie, but still he left.[/color]

There is a simple structure, CEO : > : President(s) yes there are more, finance is one, bball is another one.
    Presidents have a certain power and responsibility, but no carte blanche, The Chief Executive Officer has the final responsibility and if he deems a decision made by another officer of the company detrimental to the company in any way he will have to overturn that decision.

But why are we even discussing this, [color=darkred:585a8b569e] because it's the off season[/color] DW handpicked LB, they are both great bball minds, they agreed in the off-season last year, I have no doubt that they will this year.

[color=darkred:585a8b569e]Their record doesn't aways bare that out.[/color]

Over the coming years more and more undoubtedly DW will leave the entire decision to LB as his retirement nears. For now he will point out what he knows and LB will listen to that, being the "inexperienced" one of the two.

[color=darkred:585a8b569e]I agree, except for where it concerns evaluating basketball players. Bird's been evaluating basketball players to some degree almost his whole life, so he's not inexperienced there.[/color]

evaluating I give you, dealmaking? DW is the champ there I am sure LB gladly rides his tails for a while.

edit: as DW will gladly ride LB's in evaluation
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

evaluating I give you, dealmaking? DW is the champ there I am sure LB gladly rides his tails for a while.

edit: as DW will gladly ride LB's in evaluation
    I agree, I edited that part out. A prior edit left that in when it should have been taken out.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[size=18:fac6c19f94]Bird Returns to Franchise
    By Conrad Brunner

[color=darkred:fac6c19f94]Walsh said that Bird was responsible for PLAYERS. That would also entail making the decision on draft choices and trades.

Walsh makes the call.

Let's say a large company is in the process of buying another company (let's assume no stockholders) and the President of the purchasing company doesn't want to do the deal but the CEO does. Who will make the final call?

The CEO will make the final call. More than likely 99% of the time the CEO will let the President make the call but if they disagree the CEO is top dog and his vote counts just a little bit more.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin