Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibbert Working Hard

Default Hibbert Working Hard

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...nt_questi.html

Because of things like this, and I know may be it's way to early to say this, I've already joined the Gotta Love Hibbert Club !

Default Re: Hibbert Working Hard

This is really nice to read. I still think it takes him 3 years to really establish himself, but he should really get a chance to play big minutes 2 years from now, I'm guessing.

Love it.

Mood

I love it, myself.

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

I especially like the part about teaching him to "move efficiently".

This is a quality I've always thought really makes big difference over the long
    run. Look at guy like Tim Duncan for example; his efficiency of movement is
    one thing that has always made him really stand out among great big men.

It is nice to see the Pacer's coaching staff working to instill qualities in Roy
    early on to help him embark on what will hopefully be a long, productive, and
    injury free NBA career.

really nice to read for a change. Normally our your players had attitude problems (except Granger). What was nice to read was that, the only other Pacer with this kind of work ethic was Ron Artest. Besides Ron's mental instability, he was an amazing baller. Hopefully Hibbert could show signs of great hustle and defense as Ron did, without with "issues" that Ron had

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Normally our young players had attitude problems (except Granger).
    Man, that's not even close to true. It's amazing that we've spoiled on the Pacers so much that we can say they "normally" have attitude problems.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Man, that's not even close to true. It's amazing that we've spoiled on the Pacers so much that we can say they "normally" have attitude problems.
    Seconded

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Seconded
    Thirded, or whatever.

I think this stuff gets overstated a little on this board. The truth is, the vast majority of players in this league work hard. Yeah, a good number of them smoke weed, but normally this doesn't keep them from working hard on their games, showing up to practice and shoot arounds on time and listening to the coaching staff.

When guys show up to practice on time and run drills the way they're supposed to, this doesn't make the news. And this is what happens probably 98% of the time. What makes the news is when every now and then a player shows up late or misses practice, gets fined or has a spat with the coach. That makes the news.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This is really nice to read. I still think it takes him 3 years to really establish himself, but he should really get a chance to play big minutes 2 years from now, I'm guessing.

Shouldn't take him that long if he is as good as I think he is based upon my years watching him. If it takes him that long then I definitely overestimated his capabilities as well as my ability to evaluate talent and ability. He's not some frosh or even sophmore coming out of college. He's a senior who went through wars in the Big East. He lacked aggression, not polish. His ability to score in the post and his ability to pass are underrated by most bball fans and "experts". One guy who responded to Well's blog wrote that if Hibbert works hard for for a few years he could eventually get time as a backup. Seriously? Well, that's a waste of the 17th pick in the draft if it would take three years just to get court time as a backup center. It amazes that in the spring of 2007 Hibbert was considered to be a high lottery pick and now all of a sudden people expect a 7'2 guy with great hands, skills, intelligence and a superior work ethic to not be able to get out on the court and contribute in some way.

Good finds, I-co. Looking down through the early stuff on Harrison, I find these two jewels by a couple of PD mainstays who deserve to remain anonymous:

Is anyone else getting the impression that (Harrison) is another Tinsley, a great talent that fell because people (wrongly) questioned his maturity and work ethic.
    That's a good way to put it. Maybe he really is another Tinsley in that sense. I hope so.

Homer nods again.

Last edited by Putnam; 09-24-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I read that too and chuckled.

Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    Shouldn't take him that long if he is as good as I think he is based upon my years watching him. If it takes him that long then I definitely overestimated his capabilities as well as my ability to evaluate talent and ability. He's not some frosh or even sophmore coming out of college. He's a senior who went through wars in the Big East. He lacked aggression, not polish. His ability to score in the post and his ability to pass are underrated by most bball fans and "experts". One guy who responded to Well's blog wrote that if Hibbert works hard for for a few years he could eventually get time as a backup. Seriously? Well, that's a waste of the 17th pick in the draft if it would take three years just to get court time as a backup center. It amazes that in the spring of 2007 Hibbert was considered to be a high lottery pick and now all of a sudden people expect a 7'2 guy with great hands, skills, intelligence and a superior work ethic to not be able to get out on the court and contribute in some way.

I hope you are right. It just usually takes big men so much longer to come into their own and although he had 4 years of college, he's young in age by those standards too. I do see the last part differently, I think at 17 if you get a guy who can be a solid 20 minutes a night back up center for a long career, you've done pretty well, imo. I hope Hibbert is more than that and I think Hibbert will be more than that.

If he's willing to maximize his abilities through hard work, which he has so far and there isn't any reason to think he won't continue to do so. However, I just do not want fans to write him off if he 1.) doesn't play that much being behind 3 veterens at the big spots. 2.) doesn't perform well, at least not consistently, that is just the nature of being a rookie.

Again, I hope he's an allstar, I just think we should manage expectations a bit.

Mark my words, next summer, if Hibbert play 16 mins a game and averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds, people will say his career is a bust and that just won't be true.
    Last edited by Speed; 09-24-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Boring. Where's Ron and Stephen?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sorry, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    I think at 17 if you get a guy who can be a solid 20 minutes a night back up center for a long career, you've done pretty well, imo.
    Roy Hibbert is a mature and refined 7' 2" basketball player coming off a successful four-year career at an excellent college. The fact that he was drafted 17 shouldn't affect our expectations for him at all.

We expect him to play effectively and earn what we pay him for all the years he's on the Pacers' roster. In his case, effectively means competing for minutes by mid-season and eventually becoming the Pacers starting center on merit and being solid there. He won't reach his potential for some time, and he'll commit some rookie mistakes along the way. But there is no reason that expectations for him are lower because of where he was drafted.

I expect him to be the best Pacers' center since Rick Smits (JO was a 4), because that is what the Pacers need him to be.

Can we just forget about draft pick numbers? They matter intensely on draft night. They don't matter at all any other time.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Mark my words, next summer, if Hibbert play 16 mins a game and averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds, people will say his career is a bust and that just won't be true.
    This is well said. We ARE too quick to use hyperbolic words to describe players. If Hibbert plays 16 minutes a game and averages 4 and 3, we should say, "He averages 4 points and 3 rebounds in 16 minutes."
    Last edited by Putnam; 09-24-2008 at 03:10 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

4 pts and 3 rebs over 16 minutes isn't all that bad for a backup center, especially if he's able to help with low-post defense.

I hope Hibbert is able to learn as much as he can from Jeff. Imagine Jeff's defensive foot and hand skills with Hibbert's size. That would be spectacular.

I'm just saying.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Interesting that Bird mentioned Hibbert as someone he liked in the draft.

Aren't you supposed to be coy about such things, or does it mean that Hibbert wasn't really Larry's choice.

P.S. Has Wells ever referred to his "Sunshine" editor before. That caught me by surprise.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Yes, he has. "Sunshine" is big on Hibbert and has been trying to convert Wells for a while on this.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I thought the Sunshine thing was something of a PD brand, not general.

Did he get it from us?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I never was a big fan of Roy. I didn't have much faith in him having a very good NBA career.

But if you look at who was avaliable with that pick, our needs, and the fact that Roy is a class act you just have to love having this guy on the team. I know I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    4 pts and 3 rebs over 16 minutes isn't all that bad for a backup center, especially if he's able to help with low-post defense.

I hope Hibbert is able to learn as much as he can from Jeff. Imagine Jeff's defensive foot and hand skills with Hibbert's size. That would be spectacular.

I'm just saying.
    I agree with speed. I think Hibbert's going to be slooooww coming along. I give him about about three years till he becomes truly effective, also. I just don't know what to think of him. I like him. I like that he had 4 years of school at a good school. I don't know if it's been brought up before, but he makes me think of Petro with the Sonics/Thunder. I see both guys potentially being Mutombo lite. I just can't quite guage where their ceiling of talent is.

I'm pretty optimistic about him, though. All-star? Dunno? Bust down the road. I don't see it.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Hibbert's game is NOTHING like Mutombo's. The two men have different strengths and weaknesses. No offense but if I hear more stuff from reporters and fans about Hibbert playing the role of a defensive stopper I think I'll scream. His defense has indeed improved each year but his strength remains on the other side of the ball : shooting, scoring with either hand with his back to the basket, passing, being able to put the ball on the floor well for a man his size, footwork in the post. Those were his best traits IMO. And those were arguably Mutombo's weakest traits. Of course Mutombo was more athletic, a better rebounder, a better shotblocker and had superior stamina. Not. The. Same. Thing.

Listen very carefully to O'Brien's last radio interview in which he lets slip a bit of a rave the things Roy has shown he can do. I would bet the house he's referring more to his ability with the ball than he is about Roy's defensive prowess.

Since the Mourning days I have put together a few edited videoes/DVDs of Hoya players and their highlights. Last spring I put together one of Roy from his frosh season to his senior season on a few DVDs. You'll be amazed at all the moves he demonstrated and how he can just suddenly look so fluid and quick when getting the ball in the post. If I knew how to put things up on YouTube I suppose I would have spent the summer putting up those moments to give some of the folks an example of what he can do (none of the junk on YouTube of him does him justice). Maybe I should send the DVDs to folks who would know what to do with them.

Mood

KennerLeaguer, if you would like, we can talk via PM about getting them on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    When guys show up to practice on time and run drills the way they're supposed to, this doesn't make the news.
    Well, it makes the news now which kind of tells you what the past few years have been like.

I've never been real keen on guys out of Georgetown but I think the Pacers made the right choice here and I'm thrilled with such a high character guy with a work ethic.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.