Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rasheed still wants to be Knick

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rasheed still wants to be Knick

Link Here

Rasheed wants to be Knick. Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace, who becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1, still wants to play for the Knicks, his agent, Bill Strickland, said yesterday. "That's where he wanted to go from Portland and we tried like hell to get it done," said Strickland, adding it's too early to speculate on whether Wallace will sign with Detroit.

"Don't get me wrong, I think they're a great group of guys that I'm playing with," Wallace said. "But my family, they are going to have the last decision."

Default Re: Rasheed still wants to be Knick

That could be very true but I wouldn't expect Rasheed to come out and say "I'm going to stay with Detroit no matter what" at this point.

Mood

Link Here

KNICKS STILL ALIVE IN 'SHEED CHASE

June 17, 2004 -- Even while basking in the glow of an NBA championship, even as he became prince of Motown, the final piece to Detroit's championship puzzle, Rasheed Wallace maintained that his wife and kids will make the final decision on whether he will re-sign with the Pistons as a free agent.

So the Knicks still are in the game, although ever so slightly. As the celebration carried on inside the Pistons' locker room Tuesday night, Bill Strickland, Wallace's agent, was asked by The Post if Wallace still will consider the Knicks come July 1, The agent said, "Perhaps, given how hard he tried to get there before he got here."

The 6-11 Wallace wouldn't commit to Detroit because it's not his call.

"I have to talk it over with my wife, talk it over with my kids and get their input," Wallace said. "If it's a situation or something here they don't like or they see shaky, I have to take all of that into consideration. I think my family has the biggest say of it all. But don't get me wrong. I think they are a great group of guys that I'm playing with, but my family, they are going to have that last decision."

The Knicks were once his No. 1 choice, but Isiah Thomas did not have the pawns after the Stephon Marbury blockbuster to entice Portland. And Isiah surely did not have the expiring contracts to attract Atlanta at February's trading deadline. In all, the Knicks may have a better chance at Piston spare big man, Mehmet Okur.

Strickland hasn't spoken to Wallace about free agency since the playoffs began, not wanting to distract him.

If it were up to Wallace, he'd stay. But he wants his wife, Fatima, to like the area. She and their four kids, including an infant daughter, have yet to live in Detroit. They stayed back in Portland.

"She didn't have time and the kids were in school," Strickland said. "She had a daughter in March."

The Knicks can only offer him the $5 million mid-level exception for two years and then re-sign him to a deal starting at $9M. Or more conventionally, they can offer him a maximum length six-year mid-level deal, totaling $37.5M. The Knicks can only hope Detroit tries to squeeze him on number of years. As far as a sign-and-trade, Pistons prez Joe Dumars is not champing at the bit for Kurt Thomas.

With champagne misting in the steambath of a locker room, Dumars sounded as if Wallace were signed, sealed and delivered.

"We're going to be a year wiser, we're going to be better," Dumars said.

Asked if that means Wallace will return, Dumars said, "I think this is a pretty good selling point. I don't have any beautiful speeches to give him like, 'Hey, the weather's great here, we got some nice sights.' He's won a world championship. What can you sell a guy more on than that, someone who's been a big part of it."

Mr. Wallace, for the sake of all Pacer fans, please go to New York. We will be forever indebted.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've come to the conclusion that you find out what a player is truly about when they become free agents. If winning is as important to Wallace as he says it is then he will re-sign w/Detroit. Of course usually when a player leaves it is for more money which wouldn't be the case here so maybe Rasheed's family wants to live in NY and family really is his priority.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Newsday.com is just putting a New York spin on that article. I read the original quote his agent made and all he said was that New York is where Rasheed WANTED to go. He never said he still wants to be a Knick. He also said, "My family, they are going to have the last decision."

My question is what is he going to do, put it up for a vote?

Mr. CTC isn't coming to NY. I don't see him going for the MLE when the Pistons will probably give him twice that.

Can't see Mrs Rasheed telling her husband, "Go make less money" either.

Guess I could be wrong but I'd be shocked.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

WOW - what great timing for the Piston fans.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

PistonsDynasty

I hope Sheed does go to New York. I don't want him on this team. He's very average at best and has alot of off nights. Quite frankly the Pistons can do alot better in my book. My worst fear is Joe D. giving this fool a 5 or 6 year contract.

I hope Sheed does go to New York. I don't want him on this team. He's very average at best and has alot of off nights. Quite frankly the Pistons can do alot better in my book. My worst fear is Joe D. giving this fool a 5 or 6 year contract.
    Seriously? You do realize he is why you won this year....

Before that, you wouldn't have beaten us or NJ...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

That is true. But Joe D. still shouldn't give that fool a 5 or 6 year contract.

Hip-Hop ,Guitar & Martial ArtsEnthusiast
    Tony Jaa could beat you up with his pinky.

Good lord, what a commotion about nothing......

The only people that expect SHeed to be in NY next season are the NY newspapers, and they are MASTER spin-artists.

Until Sheed makes a statement committing one way or anyother, frankly Im not even paying attention to NY's wet dreams.

That said, if he wants to go, he has my blessing. He helped us get a ring, I'm in his debt as a fan. Not to mention we'll likely be $16-20 million udner the cap if he leaves.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Good lord, what a commotion about nothing......

The only people that expect SHeed to be in NY next season are the NY newspapers, and they are MASTER spin-artists.

Until Sheed makes a statement committing one way or anyother, frankly Im not even paying attention to NY's wet dreams.

Mood

Thanks Kstat you helping me semi prove a point , that all the garbage floating around right now is media spin

That said, if he wants to go, he has my blessing. He helped us get a ring, I'm in his debt as a fan. Not to mention we'll likely be $16-20 million udner the cap if he leaves.
    Depends on how soon Darko will be ready, doesn't it? If I'm JoeD, I'd look pretty hard at Okur and Darko. If either of them is ready to be a starter, then I might consider it for the cap room.

Unless Sheed signs for 8 mil or so.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Depends on how soon Darko will be ready, doesn't it? If I'm JoeD, I'd look pretty hard at Okur and Darko. If either of them is ready to be a starter, then I might consider it for the cap room.

Unless Sheed signs for 8 mil or so.
    I hope that was a joke and you just forgot to insert the Devil face after Darko.

Darko is a project, he will not be ready for a few more years and the Pistons know that. Also, this whole situation might change if we get Tmac.

The Pistons might use Okur in a trade. I don't think they will sit back and watch us 1 up them.

I hope that was a joke and you just forgot to insert the Devil face after Darko.

Darko is a project, he will not be ready for a few more years and the Pistons know that.
    Hard to say... I remember Kstat swearing up one side and down the other that Darko would be a solid contributor this year and would be dominating by the end of next year....

How's that?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Darko is a project, he will not be ready for a few more years and the Pistons know that.
    Hard to say... I remember Kstat swearing up one side and down the other that Darko would be a solid contributor this year and would be dominating by the end of next year....

How's that?
    and gueess what.

I STILL think that if he gets minutes next year, he will bea solid guy off the bench. That kid has gotten HUGE over the last year.

He simply doesnt play hard in garbage time. Its not in his makep. Ive seen what he can do when motivated, I still have confidence that DArko can make up for Okur off the bench next season.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

PistonsDynasty

I predicted the Pistons were going to win the championship since November. Theres no possible way to find out if the Pistons would of won without Sheed. Memo and Elden did a great job in the playoffs and COULD of won the championship with just those guys but theres no way to tell.

Sheed isn't what this team is about. He's a big loud mouth fool. Even at the parade this guy is wearing a Red Wings jersey with a red hat and red shorts. Everyone else has the championship hats and shirts on. This guy want to stand out and be the man but this team doesn't have the ""MAN"" and if it did it sure wouldn't be Sheed.

It p*sses me off how are these Detroit fans are all on there knees giving this guy bj's and begging him to stay. Just like they did Grant.

The Pistons and their 20+ million dollar (or something around there) can get a HECK of a better player than Sheed.

COngratulations on being a totally disloyal fan.

Without Rasheed, this team is out in the 2nd round this year. EVERYONE knows that except you.

Sheed isn't what this team is about. He's a big loud mouth fool. Even at the parade this guy is wearing a Red Wings jersey with a red hat and red shorts. Everyone else has the championship hats and shirts on. This guy want to stand out and be the man but this team doesn't have the ""MAN"" and if it did it sure wouldn't be Sheed.
    Are you even a Pistons fan? The man wore a DETROIT RED WINGS SHIRT. My goodness, you are ungrateful.

t p*sses me off how are these Detroit fans are all on there knees giving this guy bj's and begging him to stay. Just like they did Grant.
    Grant won us NOTHING. Sheed brought us a title. Look at the numbers before and after sheed. You are extremely delusional if you think otherwise.

The Pistons and their 20+ million dollar (or something around there) can get a HECK of a better player than Sheed.
    Rasheed is one of the top 5 post-defenders in the NBA. Unless you mean Kobe, there is NOBODY better out there.

God, I cant believe I wasted breath responding to this garbage.

sweabs

Someone must have broken into PistonsDynasty's account! Without Rasheed - well - we all know how that went.

PistonsDynasty

God, I cant believe I wasted breath responding to this garbage.
    Feel free to put me on ignore for having views diffrent from you and other Sheed groupies.

P.S. Rasheed didn't give us a title. The Detroit Pistons did.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I predicted the Pistons were going to win the championship since November. Theres no possible way to find out if the Pistons would of won without Sheed. Memo and Elden did a great job in the playoffs and COULD of won the championship with just those guys but theres no way to tell.
    I've read alot of your predictions over at RealGM, your one of biggest homer, delusional fans around. You picked a sweep in about every series and then changed your pick after every defeat. I'm surprised you didn't predict them to go 82-0 in November.

Since when did Memo do a good job in the playoffs? His stock dropped almost as fast as G. Peyton's did, Piston fans were practically calling for his head on a stick. No sane Detroit fan could possible say the Sheed trade was not one of the biggest factors in you guys winning the title. As Kstat said Sheed is one of the top 5 post defenders in the league. Any Pacer fan that has watched JO go up against Sheed has seen that too, nobody gives JO anymore trouble. JO is the reason you guys wanted him, you would have had nobody that could guard JO without Sheed.

Personally I can't stand Sheed, but you guys would be stupid not to resign him, inless he wants insane money, aka B. Miller. Then you got to do what is best for the teams future.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Since when did Memo do a good job in the playoffs? His stock dropped almost as fast as G. Peyton's did, Piston fans were practically calling for his head on a stick.
    Thats the only thing I would disagree with in your post. Piston fans were calling for Brown's head when he didn't use Memo in the NJ series (3 OT game) and then when he did (the next game) Detroit took control of the series and EVERYONE said "SEE!!! USE HIM!" Also, as far as I've seen teams like Pheonix and everyone not praying for T-Mac and Kobe still have great interest in Memo.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How soon fans forget!

I agree with you Rasheed sucks - he'll never amount to anything on the basketball court. There is NO WAY a team he plays for will win a championship!
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin