Thread: Why Reggie was afraid to talk trash to Jordan

Default Why Reggie was afraid to talk trash to Jordan

Reggie Miller shares a great story with Dan about the time he trash-talked with Michael Jordan before his rookie season.

They were playing a preseason game, and Miller was doing well since Jordan wasn't really trying. Pacers veteran Chuck Person told Miller to say something to Jordan. Bad idea, Jordan asked Doug Collins to stay in the game and proceeded to light up the young Miller for about 30 points in a half.

Reggie said he never talked trash to Jordan again. And Miller was known as a bit of a talker. Dan brought up a great point -- why was Person egging on Miller in a preseason game?

Miller also weighed in on NFL Week 1. He thinks his Raiders have a good shot tonight. His Colts were disappointing. And his Eagles look great. My question -- how can he have three teams? I can see the Raiders, since he's from LA. And maybe the Colts, because he played ball in Indy. But the Eagles? That's like having three fantasy teams. Unfair.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/dan...ml?eref=fromSI

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why Reggie was afraid to talk trash to Jordan

Reggie wrote about this in his book- about 13 years ago.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How accurate can that statement be, that he never talked trash to him again?

Are we supposed to believe that they just started fighting, and never exchanged words? I have an extremely hard time thinking someone with Reggie's mouth, who loves talking, and loves being the bad guy ever shut up for anyone.

One thing about Reggie is...he is very, very smart. He probably had a good feel for whose buttons he could push...and Jordan a high profile one he was not about to mess with...

You don't talk trash to Jordan for the same reason you don't talk trash to Reggie.

They'll both take their game up to another level.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

...you don't tug on Superman's cape
    ...you don't spit into the wind
    ....you don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
    .....and you don't mess around with Jim

somethings you just don't do.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How accurate can that statement be, that he never talked trash to him again?

Are we supposed to believe that they just started fighting, and never exchanged words? I have an extremely hard time thinking someone with Reggie's mouth, who loves talking, and loves being the bad guy ever shut up for anyone.
    In the samebook that Kstat is referring to above, Reggie also wrote that jsut before both got into a clutching and grabbing flight at MSA, that he called something to the tune of "Takethat bi...h"

I am just going by memory on the above, but I for one do not believe that he did not talk trash to Jordan ever after that rookie incident.

Remember, JV Gundy'scomments about MJ being nice off the court to other SGs and then torching them in the game. MJ tocrched JVG for 50 after those comments. From what I could see on the court, even if he was not as talented as MJ, Reggie was one SG who never deferred to or intimidated by MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post

Remember, JV Gundy'scomments about MJ being nice off the court to other SGs and then torching them in the game. MJ tocrched JVG for 50 after those comments. From what I could see on the court, even if he was not as talented as MJ, Reggie was one SG who never deferred to or intimidated by MJ.
    Exactly. If you watch the old games, you will see someoone who played Jordan better than Jordan could ever be played. Reggie fought his heart out there. Reggie was way underrated for his defense in my mind. All U can do is put a hand in Jordans face, Reggie did that, where many couldn't.

I really wish we would have won that 7 game series against Chicago. We had just as good of a team, well almost, next to them, we were the best that year IMO,. Reggie hitting that game winning shot with like .7 left over Jordan to win was the most clutch shot I've ever seen anyone make. He was deep if I remember, and even if he wasn't he had to shoot at a weird angle just so Jordan couldn't affect it.

Reggie had D and was an all around player. No he wasn't the greatest, but he could compete with the best. So anyone who says Reggie was week missed the playoffs and didn't really Miller was actually more than adequate at D.

Reggie is one of the greatest playoff performers to ever see the game, top 20 for sure. He is a Hall of Famer. He average like 30 a game in the PO's until he was like 38. That Prince block will forever live in Infamy. If Reggie would have just dunked it for once we might have won it that year. But it's just an iff. Reggie was anti-dunk for some reason.

Reggie didn't trash talk Jordan and Jordan didn't either most of the time, but there were still incidents. Two great competitors. I miss those days.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 09-24-2008 at 12:47 AM.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reggie did some pre-game "woofing" in the newspaper - circa 1991ish - about being "the second-best SG in the East." I remember this because this was during his "Hollywood" days where he was all-show until the game got tight, and then he would disappear and let Chuck or Detlef bail him out, because I remember thinking, "way to set your sights at the top."

Anyway, that night at the old Stadium, Reggie came out to prove his #2-ness, and picked up three fouls in the first four minutes and watched the rest of the first half on the bench. (And at that time, the claim for #2 rightly belonged to Joe Dumars.)

Yes, he grew up later and became a clutch competitor. But when we competed well against the Bulls in that era its because Chuck would get the better of Pippen.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It wasn't at the Old Chicago Stadium. It was during a pre season game in Cincy. And it was during the 87-88 preseason, not 1991. Reggie gives the minute by minute details of it in his book, and if I had it I would paste it. Maybe someone else has it?

The Pacers were killing the Bulls, as MJ and Co. were just going through the motions. Chuck egged Reggie to talk some trash to MJ, so he does and bam, MJ gets ticked and torches them.

Reggie closes the story by saying:

"2 things...I never talked ***** to Michael again, and I never listened to Chuck Person again.

You can't trash talk Michael Jordan. He'll definately make you look like an idiot on the court
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala View Post
    In the samebook that Kstat is referring to above, Reggie also wrote that jsut before both got into a clutching and grabbing flight at MSA, that he called something to the tune of "Takethat bi...h"

I am just going by memory on the above, but I for one do not believe that he did not talk trash to Jordan ever after that rookie incident.

Yeah, Van Gundy refered to Jordan as a "Con Man" then elaborated on how Michael was friends with guys off the court then light them up in games. Yeah, JVG surely regretted that one.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74