View Poll Results: Which draft clock option do you prefer?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 12 hour per pick

7 43.75%
  • 24 hour per pick

2 12.50%
  • 24 hour "time bank"

7 43.75%
  • I refuse to vote

0 0%

Thread: Another ABA Draft Question - Draft Day - 10-4

Default Another ABA Draft Question - Draft Day - 10-4

Since I didn't add the option in the last poll but it was mentioned in the thread I wanted to get a better feel what you thought.

9 out of the 14 that voted in the last poll voted for 1 of 2 options, a 12 hour or 24 hour per pick draft clock.

We are using a 24 hour draft clock in the IKL & we've used it in the ABA in the past. You guys are all familiar with how it works. The 12 hour draft clock is the same deal, just shorter.

The option that wasn't included in the poll is for a 24 hour "time bank" for each team. The way it works is rather simple. Each team gets a total of upto 24 hours to select all 12 draft picks. If it takes you 3 hours to make your first pick then you have 21 hours for your 11 remaining picks. Its my understanding that once your 24 hours has been used, you get skipped.

Because I'm not 100% sure that the draft problems that we experienced in the IKL draft have been corrected, I would rather not set the draft date too far into October. I mentioned October 4th in the other thread & for the most part the only objections were that it might be too early. I don't recall anyone saying that the 4th was a date they couldn't make. So, I'd like to make October 4th the offical start of the draft.

The ABA draft will take place on the Sports.ws site

Please vote on what option on the draft clock you would rather have. This poll will be open until next Sunday night.

Majority rules

If you have questions or would like to make your case for one option over the other two, have at it.

Thanks
    James

Default Re: Another ABA Draft Question - Draft Day - 10-4

I think you should set a 48 hour total clock in case people can get around on the first day to see where they pick. plus 48 hours will go by quick if people are not checking the site where as 24 hours would be one day without checking. I know people need to check in all the time but getting skipped really sucks.

I still vote for a 24 hour per pick. I never take that long but I know some people get problems and like I said it sucks to get skipped.

48 hours is an option but theres no way I'm doing another poll.

If more people vote for the time bank, I wouldn't have a problem with setting it at 48 hours.

Cool. I am not suggesting another poll just if they do pick the poll to put it at 36 or 48 just to make sure we can make our picks.

Will the time bank be backed by the FDIC? I'd hate to lose my minutes if sports.ws goes under.....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Yes, & they'll be rollover minutes too!

You'll be able to use them for the KL draft later in October.

If you start the draft the 4th and use a 24-hour time bank, with a 20-team league there's no way the draft can't finish by the time the season starts.

If you use 48 hours there's a good chance you'll still be drafting in the middle of November. I'm against that - and there's nothing about the current draft that makes me think most players won't use every available second they have. A 48-hour clock looks like a roadmap to trouble to me.

I'll be gone to St Louis Oct 6th-8th with extremely limited online access (possibly none at all) but I can figure out how to make a list of the top hundred players I want and send it to the commish. It's not hard - start with the number one, use a consecutive numbering system using whole numerals until you reach 100 and then write an NBA player's name next to each number.
    Last edited by DisplacedKnick; 09-22-2008 at 08:47 AM.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... but I can figure out how to make a list of the top hundred players I want and send it to the commish. It's not hard - start with the number one, use a consecutive numbering system using whole numerals until you reach 100 and then write an NBA player's name next to each number.
    Whoa, whoa...WHOA!! Slow your roll there. You're confusing me. Number one....okay.....player's name.......uh-huh...I'm sorry, this is too overwelming for me.

(I hear what you're saying. )
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

i'll give this bank thing a try

I'm kind of against the time bank idea just because nobody knows how fast it will go, and a busy day (particularly a weekday) I can see where somone might not be able to get on and could lose much of their time at once.

I've always used the contingency lists, so I doubt I would come anywhere close to using 24 hours in a time bank, but I can see how it could be an issue for some, and how it would be an issue with me if i didn't want to fill a contingency list to the max.

For this reason I'd prefer to go with either the 24 or 12 hour clock. I voted 24, but either is fine.

I would like to add that in going with a clock, perhaps weekly we could adjust the time down to a shorter amount if things are not moving along well. That could be done by vote, or my preference would be to allow James to make that call acting "in the best interests of the league".

This assumes that the draft clock can be changed while the draft is going on.

Don't take my disagreement with the time bank idea as a major hang-up with me, though, if the majority goes with that then I can live with it and I suspect I would not have any issues.

The draft can & more than likely will be changed at different points in the draft.

The two differernces between what we're going thru with the IKL draft & what the ABA will be doing are:

1 We will be using the sports.ws site with the contingenct list.

2. Everyone in the ABA has gone thru the draft befor & should be a lot more prepared than the half of the IKL that are first year players.

Displaced Knick

Just curious, your post gave me the impression you were totally against the whole time bank concept, yet you voted for it in the poll.

Personally I think the 12 hour draft clock would be better to start with & then with enough warning drop the clock down to 30 minutes or an hour if we need to wrap up the last few rounds.

What we need is a way to cut out the hours upon endless hours of waiting for someone to select.

Any suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter View Post
    Displaced Knick

Just curious, your post gave me the impression you were totally against the whole time bank concept, yet you voted for it in the poll.

Personally I think the 12 hour draft clock would be better to start with & then with enough warning drop the clock down to 30 minutes or an hour if we need to wrap up the last few rounds.

What we need is a way to cut out the hours upon endless hours of waiting for someone to select.

Any suggestion?
    Time bank - like I said in my post. I prefer a 24-hour one.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not a fan of the time bank. There are times when I may have to pull a close-open at work and that would potentially suck up nearly my entire clock. Not a likely scenario, but certainly possible.

I'll make due with whatever we decide, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    Will the time bank be backed by the FDIC? I'd hate to lose my minutes if sports.ws goes under.....
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I can go with pretty much anything. a 12 hour or 24 hours is preferred but I check the site every 12 hoursish so Whatever we go with I will work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Not a fan of the time bank. There are times when I may have to pull a close-open at work and that would potentially suck up nearly my entire clock. Not a likely scenario, but certainly possible.

I'll make due with whatever we decide, though.
    Depends on if you want to finish the draft before the NBA season starts or not. If this league's draft goes at the pace the Keeper League's is, it wouldn't if it started on Oct 4.