Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 82

Thread: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

  1. #26

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Putty, I kinda felt too uncomfortable to mention BCF, and I wasn't even there. I hate to laugh at the misfortunes of others. Well, mostly.
    Well, that marks you as more of an insider than me. I know most of the insider terms, but allusions Burlington Coat Factory still just baffle me. If there is cause for embarrassment to anyone, I apologize for mentioning it.


    Question: Would there be any value in a section in the FAQ about statistics and data? Folks tend to hate on stats pretty strongly, sometimes without know what what the stat purports to tell. We could explain the +/- and the PER for starters.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  2. #27
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,126

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Could we also perhaps limit Naptime to that section permanently?

  3. #28
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, Greene was taken while still on waivers (from the Celtics) and therefore still with an active contract. I think it was the James Jones TE space they used to get him. He did not clear waivers and maintained his original contract when the Pacers claimed him. Greene was not making the MIN either.

    http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar..._with_celtics/
    Odd thing about Orien's contract: He was paid exactly the league minimum. However, the MPE is only available for contracts up to two years in length. The Celtics offered a three year deal (at the league min salary) to Orien, therefore, they had to use part of their MLE.

    What I'm not sure of his how the league would've viewed Orien's contract at the time the Pacers claimed him off of waivers. With the exception of the actual establishment of the MPE, Coon's FAQ only talks about players "making the league minimum." Orien's contract, at the time we claimed him, only had two years left. In that situation, I wonder if we (or any other team) could've exercised the MPE to acquire him, or if we ended up actually needing the TE.

  4. #29
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question: Would there be any value in a section in the FAQ about statistics and data? Folks tend to hate on stats pretty strongly, sometimes without know what what the stat purports to tell. We could explain the +/- and the PER for starters.
    Sure. Why not?

  5. #30

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point or not, but racial discussions quickly enter the realm of other heated discussions that aren't allowed on PD that usually tie in with politics.
    Fair enough, it's your forum and you're free do with it as you please.

    But not being able to discuss issues of race on a forum dedicated to professional basketball seems awfully constrictive and unnecessary. It weakens the discussion and makes for a worse site overall.

    I won't mention it again because it obviously makes the mods uncofortable.

  6. #31
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough, it's your forum and you're free do with it as you please.

    But not being able to discuss issues of race on a forum dedicated to professional basketball seems awfully constrictive and unnecessary. It weakens the discussion and makes for a worse site overall.

    I won't mention it again because it obviously makes the mods uncofortable.
    Fair enough.

  7. #32
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    For what it's worth, I never really thought 'RATS' was meant to be demeaning. More of just a cute nickname with a bit of teasing as opposed to an outright insult.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  8. #33
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    The way I see it: not all insults are a 10 on the scale. I'd say this is more like a 2.

  9. #34
    Member RamBo_Lamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,265
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Something I've unsuccessfully been trying to find info on lately and would
    like to see explained is the use of "Cash Considerations".

    There certainly has to be more to "Cash Considerations" than just paying
    cash to another team as an incentive to get a deal done.

    What are the restrictions, if any, on the use of "Cash Considerations" in getting
    a deal done?

    When can it be used?

    Any limitations on how much can be used?

    Must the amount paid be reported to the league?

    Is it counted against the salary cap?

  10. #35
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    I believe the limit is 3 million, but I don't think it counts against the cap. I'm sure it must be reported.

    I think it can always be used, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are times it's not allowed.

  11. #36
    Member RamBo_Lamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,265
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Thank you Hicks.

    One other question - can Cash Considerations be used to balance out a
    trade if the players to be traded salaries are not not close enough to
    matching (is it within 125%?), or is it simply an "incentive" to get the deal done?

    Thanks

  12. #37
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,599

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Isn't there already a pretty good Salary Cap FAQ out there? Are we 'reinventing the wheel' by including a lot of detail in ours?
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  13. #38
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you Hicks.

    One other question - can Cash Considerations be used to balance out a
    trade if the players to be traded salaries are not not close enough to
    matching (is it within 125%?), or is it simply an "incentive" to get the deal done?

    Thanks
    No. Cash considerations are not included in Salary Cap calculations.

  14. #39
    Member RamBo_Lamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,265
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't there already a pretty good Salary Cap FAQ out there? Are we 'reinventing the wheel' by including a lot of detail in ours?

    Yes - my apologies. I wasn't googling correctly to find what I was looking
    for.

    Tried searching for "nba salary cap faq" and found this one which appears to
    be pretty inclusive:

    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

  15. #40
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes - my apologies. I wasn't googling correctly to find what I was looking
    for.

    Tried searching for "nba salary cap faq" and found this one which appears to
    be pretty inclusive:

    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm
    Yeah, that's the one. Coon is the man.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  16. #41
    Member RamBo_Lamar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,265
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Yowser! Here is a quote from that salary cap faq previously mentioned:

    ( http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm )

    The Collective Bargaining Agreement is a very long legal contract between the league and the Players Association, and is written in dense legalese. It is my hope that this FAQ answers all your questions. However, if you really want the CBA, it is available from the Players Association's web site at http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles.php. At the time of this writing, bound copies of the CBA are not available from the league office.
    Unfortunately, the CBA doesn't answer every question. The NBA, like most organizations, has by-laws, which are separate and apart from whatever contracts it may make with other entities such as the Players Association. Many of the rules are contained in the NBA By-Laws, and in a third document, the NBA Constitution. While it is possible for the public to obtain the CBA, the league office says the By-Laws and Constitution are absolutely off-limits.

    After looking at this and glancing over the rest of the FAQ am coming to
    realize how incredibly complex this stuff is!

  17. #42
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Yeah...pretty much.

    Getting caught up in trade exceptions, waiver claims and renouncing free agent rights is pretty counter productive. They all happen so infrequently and have such little real-world usage that the complexities of them are not really worth knowing. The trade exception thing seems to be picking up a little bit Leaguewide, but there are still only a handful of meaningful deals in NBA history that actually made use of them, with out blockbuster acquisition of future Hall of Famer Al Harrington topping the list.

    Understanding the annual cap number, luxury tax, MLE/LLE, maximum/minimum salaries, Bird Rights, and RFA vs. FA are really the only things even a hardcore fan really ought to know unless he or she plans to write a thesis on the topic, which count55 clearly has.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 09-22-2008 at 09:38 AM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  18. #43
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    I agree that this FAQ should only cover the basics of the CBA as JayRedd is listing: the annual cap number, luxury tax, MLE/LLE, maximum/minimum salaries, Bird Rights, and RFA vs. FA.

    I think beyond that we should just point to Coon's CBA site.

  19. #44
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    I've just added several placeholders for the basics regarding free agency, trades, and the salary cap.

    I'm looking for people to fill those in.

    I'm going to go back over the Trade Exception pieces written earlier and see if I think it needs to be condensed or not, then I'll put that up.

    As always, remember this FAQ is meant for newbies and moderates first and foremost when it comes to background knowledge coming in.

  20. #45
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    I actually had thought Larry Coon's FAQ was linked at the top of the board here, but that's on RealGM. Though I've quoted him extensively (with credit), I got out of the practice of linking to it, because I thought it was already done.

    The only additional thing that I think people should understand is the idea of cap holds and renouncing free agents. These are things that impact the league every single year. They have not been relevant to us to this point because we have always been over the cap. However, with more and more of our large contracts approaching expiration, there will be a significant difference between our payroll as listed on Shamsports and our actual available capspace. This particular issue has created a great deal of debate/confusion about plans for next summer.

  21. #46
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Cap holds, I agree on. Most people assume the "loop hole" of waiting to sign your own guy will allow you to beat the system. But...The system thought of that a while ago and added cap holds.

    But as far as renouncing rights goes...When does this ever happen? Elton is the first guy making more than, say, $3 million I've can recall. To me, it seems like a one-time anomoly rather than something the average NBA enthusiast need concern themselves with.

    I mean, I'm not quite as big of a CBA head as you, but I've read it and been through Larry Coon's thing at least a half-dozen times and there are still minute details of the Gilbert Arenas rules, the "Over-36 rule"
    and even what you can do with trade exceptions that escape me. And I can honestly say none of these things really have any practical barring on my rooting for a team or understanding what a GM will end up doing to acquire players 99.5% of the time. I'm still curious cause I'm a dork, but there's no real reason to know it.

    But what I do often see this minutiae do is confuse people and divert otherwise production hoops conversations into the "But what if we trade Johnny No-Handles to the Bobcats for a trade exception first, then draft Stevie Hops-A-Lot and package him with a 2011 second rounder and the TE to the Bulls for Tyrus Thomas and a deep dish pizza. All we need to do is renounce our rights to Rik Smits and then add some cash considerations. It works under the CBA and I have no idea why Bird isn't pursuing this option."

    Basically...all this stuff clutters the discussion and it will never (or very, very rarely anyway) happen.

    Also...This whole post has nothing to do with the PD FAQ really...just saying that despite all the CBA offseason talk, very little of it is relevant and there are like 5-6 aspects that a fan should try to learn and fully understand before even attempting to bother with the fine print.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 09-22-2008 at 12:20 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  22. #47
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cap holds, I agree on. Most people assume the "loop hole" of waiting to sign your own guy will allow you to beat the system. But...The system thought of that a while ago and added cap holds.

    But as far as renouncing rights goes...When does this ever happen? Elton is the first guy making more than, say, $3 million I've can recall. To me, it seems like a one-time anomoly rather than something the average NBA enthusiast need concern themselves with.
    Cap holds and renouncing rights are basically two sides of the same coin, and that's more or less the context in which the renunciation should be understood. As far as big dollars, the Clips also renounced Maggette, who was making $7mm, and I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think the Kings renounced the rights to Bonzi Wells a couple years ago.

    Truth be told, renouncing rights only becomes an issue when a team has a payroll that is under the cap. Since most teams operate over the cap most of the time, renouncing rights to players becomes a meaningless gesture. Even if they don't plan to re-sign the guy, they can keep the rights "just in case" w/o penalty (since they don't have any cap space anyway).

  23. #48
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cap holds, I agree on. Most people assume the "loop hole" of waiting to sign your own guy will allow you to beat the system. But...The system thought of that a while ago and added cap holds.

    But as far as renouncing rights goes...When does this ever happen? Elton is the first guy making more than, say, $3 million I've can recall. To me, it seems like a one-time anomoly rather than something the average NBA enthusiast need concern themselves with.

    I mean, I'm not quite as big of a CBA head as you, but I've read it and been through Larry Coon's thing at least a half-dozen times and there are still minute details of the Gilbert Arenas rules, the "Over-36 rule"
    and even what you can do with trade exceptions that escape me. And I can honestly say none of these things really have any practical barring on my rooting for a team or understanding what a GM will end up doing to acquire players 99.5% of the time. I'm still curious cause I'm a dork, but there's no real reason to know it.

    But what I do often see this minutiae do is confuse people and divert otherwise production hoops conversations into the "But what if we trade Johnny No-Handles to the Bobcats for a trade exception first, then draft Stevie Hops-A-Lot and package him with a 2011 second rounder and the TE to the Bulls for Tyrus Thomas and a deep dish pizza. All we need to do is renounce our rights to Rik Smits and then add some cash considerations. It works under the CBA and I have no idea why Bird isn't pursuing this option."

    Basically...all this stuff clutters the discussion and it will never (or very, very rarely anyway) happen.

    Also...This whole post has nothing to do with the PD FAQ really...just saying that despite all the CBA offseason talk, very little of it is relevant and there are like 5-6 aspects that a fan should try to learn and fully understand before even attempting to bother with the fine print.
    On the contrary, I think it DOES have to do with the PD FAQ because it helps me decide what is and is not appropriate for this FAQ.

  24. #49
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Okay.

    I'd say deal with significant league issues first rather than worry about the details of something that has happened with two players in the recent LAC drama and, maybe, another time with Bonzi Wells several years ago. That doesn't really pass the "Frequently" caveat of the mission you're on, IMO. In terms of rank, renouncing rights rates about 6573* on priority list.














    * (Understanding what Naptime means ranks second.)
    Last edited by JayRedd; 09-22-2008 at 01:01 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  25. #50
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,841

    Default Re: The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IMHO, "IMHO" is a good example of something that doesn't need to be in the FAQ. TPTP *is* a good example of something that does. RATS would be another. And PFFL.
    What's PFFL?

Similar Threads

  1. WHERE TO GO WHEN PD IS DOWN
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 09:31 AM
  2. The Official Indiana Pacers Altered Pictures Thread
    By Shade in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 08:05 AM
  3. Pacers Digest - Goal Line Blitz players....
    By burnzone in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 11:53 PM
  4. Official "I Am Legend" discussion thread (SPOILERS GALORE, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!)
    By heywoode in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 09:58 AM
  5. 01/08/2008 Game Thread 36: Pacers at Jazz
    By BostonConnection in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •