Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Browns WR isn't happy with LeBron

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Cleveland Browns WR isn't happy with LeBron

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...the_cavaliers/

Braylon Edwards: Who Knows If LeBron Even Likes The Cavaliers

Sep 10, 2008 5:52 PM EST

LeBron James wore a Yankees' hat and fraternized with Terrell Owens before the Browns played the Cowboys in Cleveland on Sunday.
    "It didn't bother me," said Braylon Edwards. "As I've gotten to know LeBron, LeBron isn't a Cleveland guy. LeBron only plays for the Cavaliers, and who knows if he even likes the Cavaliers? He doesn't like the Indians. He doesn't like the Browns. He's a guy from Akron who likes everybody but his hometown."

"I don't know how that's possible, but it is what it is, and he is who he is. You know, it's LeBron."
    ---

Now this has bothered me in the past. I think really for PR reasons if LeBron is going to like teams outside of Cleveland he need to keep it to himself. I don't know about you guys but think of what it would be like if back in the day Reggie was hanging out with Neal O'Donnell before a Colts-Steelers game. I would have been a little pissed off. OTOH, I wouldn't be mad if Reggie was a Steelers fan and rooted for them in the privacy of his own home, just the fact that he (or LeBron) actually took the time to show themselves in public fraternizing with what most of his fans would see as the "enemy."

Default Re: Cleveland Browns WR isn't happy with LeBron

Do people really have the right to tell him who to cheer for or what sideline to be interracting with? i thought he was just having fun with T.O....who cares?

LeBron could support the Guantanamo Bay softball team and I still wouldn't give a *****.

Athletes are just as entitled to like as many teams and players as fans are.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Now this has bothered me in the past. I think really for PR reasons if LeBron is going to like teams outside of Cleveland he need to keep it to himself. I don't know about you guys but think of what it would be like if back in the day Reggie was hanging out with Neal O'Donnell before a Colts-Steelers game. I would have been a little pissed off. OTOH, I wouldn't be mad if Reggie was a Steelers fan and rooted for them in the privacy of his own home, just the fact that he (or LeBron) actually took the time to show themselves in public fraternizing with what most of his fans would see as the "enemy."
    I slightly disagree with you on the fact that he has to be a closet fan if he isn't a fan of the other hometown teams in other sports. He shouldn't have to keep his rooting intrest to himself. The only thing I find distasteful about LeBron's rooting intrest is what he does IN CLEVELAND!!! It's one thing to go to Yankee Stadium and be a fan, or go to Dallas and be a 'boys fan, but to rub it in at Browns Stadium cheering on the opposing team seems like a slap in the face to any Cavs fan that just happens to be Browns/Indians fan. In the end, I thought that LeBron was rather classless to treat some of his own fans like that.

Nothing wrong with being a fan of another team, just dont be a fan of the opposing team!!!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 09-11-2008 at 11:05 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

My first reaction when reading the title of this thread. Who cares what the Browns wide receiver thinks on this topic
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-11-2008 at 11:32 AM.

This is like telling Ilgauskas not to cheer for Lithuania when they're playing LeBron and the US in an exhibition game. The Browns are completely unrelated to the Cavs, professionally. Plenty of people are fans of an NBA team and then an unrelated NFL team, geographically. Why not LeBron? What's next, criticizing PacerTom because he's a Pacer and Pats fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    My first reaction when reading the titale of this thread. Who cares what the Vbrowns woide receiver thinks on this topic
    Yeah, but I could understand if Peyton Manning comes to Conseco bumping a Cavs jersey and openly rooting against the Pacers during a game against the Cavs. I could see some of our players being offended.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Lebron wasn't wearing a cowboys hat...he was wearing a Yankees hat.

He wasn't cheering for the cowboys, he was socializing with one of his friends who happened to be in town, because he plays for the cowboys.

If the Browns were playing the Colts and for some reason TO was in Cleveland to watch the game, Lebron would have likely been socializing with him then as well, because they are friends.

If Lebron and Reggie Wayne were friends, they would likely share a few words before a Colts-Browns game as well.

None of this means that Lebron is cheering against his home teams.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Maybe that is why Braylon Edwards dropped so many passes.

There was an article on SI.com and ESPN.com yesterday where LeBron admits he's both a Yankees fan and a Cowboys fan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3578795

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Front runner.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I just want him to be a Knicks fan.

Be OK if it took him a couple of years before he can admit it. Summer of 2010 or 2011 is soon enough. Rhab takes time.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts View Post
    Lebron wasn't wearing a cowboys hat...he was wearing a Yankees hat.

He wasn't cheering for the cowboys, he was socializing with one of his friends who happened to be in town, because he plays for the cowboys.

If the Browns were playing the Colts and for some reason TO was in Cleveland to watch the game, Lebron would have likely been socializing with him then as well, because they are friends.

If Lebron and Reggie Wayne were friends, they would likely share a few words before a Colts-Browns game as well.

None of this means that Lebron is cheering against his home teams.
    I guess the situation that came to mind was a game between the Yankees and the Indians where LeBron was sitting front and center at Progressive Field (formerly Jacobs Field) openly rooting against the Indians in what I thought was a play-off game at the time. So, my first thought was, "he's doing it again."

If LeBron wants to make up some "brown"ie points, he can go to Pittsburgh and root for anyone the Steelers play and he will be looked on as a God in Cleveland.

Anyway, looks like LeBron won't have to worry about Cleveland crimping his style in a couple seasons, anyway. DK...Help is on the way!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This is like telling Ilgauskas not to cheer for Lithuania when they're playing LeBron and the US in an exhibition game.
    I don't think so. Ilgauskas is from Lithuania. It makes sense. LeBron is from Ohio and yet roots for the opponents of the Ohio teams.

I was upset during the introduction on Sunday Night Football Dwight Freeney was wearing a Yankees hat not an Indianapolis Indians hat. I know he is from New York but he should be giving the AAA Indians love.

As for this whole thing, I'm of two minds.

The first is that I get it that it's somewhat of a slap in the face for LeBron to do this kind of thing, as others have noted by imagining Peyton Manning in a Cavaliers uniform at a Pacers game, for example.

The second is that this is another reminder of how silly and stupid the importance of sports in in our culture. People seriously get upset over such trivia. I know, I get it, but I can also see it for what it really is.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Yeah, but I could understand if Peyton Manning comes to Conseco bumping a Cavs jersey and openly rooting against the Pacers during a game against the Cavs. I could see some of our players being offended.
    I agree with you except for the fact that when I've seen Peyton at a Pacers game he doesn't appear to care one iota who is playing or winning.

The way I feel about it...if your hometown (or a city that is close to your hometown OR if it's the only team in your state) then you should root for them. I'm from Plainfield, so I root for the Colts and Pacers. Not the Bears, Bulls, Browns, Cavs, etc. My baseball team is the Rangers, if Indy would get a major league team, then they would become my favorite.

Lebron is from Ohio, so he should root for the Browns or Bengals and the same thing with the other sports. Being from Ohio and being a fan of the Yankee's and Cowboy's tells me he is a classic bandwagoner.

And I'm glad Braylon called him out on it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can see why people are upset, but really does it matter?

Ok, im from northeast Pennsylvania. Here are my teams, Philadelphia Eagles, Indiana Pacers, New York Yankees, and Pittsburgh Penguins. They are from all over the place. Just because i'm from PA i should root for PA teams? I don't think thats fair. I didn't ask to be born there. It just happened. You can root for whatever team you like. This is America right? We have that freedom dont we?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't think so. Ilgauskas is from Lithuania. It makes sense. LeBron is from Ohio and yet roots for the opponents of the Ohio teams.
    But the teams aren't Ohio teams - they don't represent the state of Ohio anymore than LeBron or the local Ohio Starbucks do, at least not in an official capacity. They are professional sports franchises that happen to be based in Ohio. Perhaps my analogy was a little off but the gist of it is that player X who isn't playing for team Y is in no way obligated to root for that team.

It's funny how often people will say that sports is a business but yet not acknowledge it when it comes down to the nitty gritty.

But the teams aren't Ohio teams - they don't represent the state of Ohio anymore than LeBron or the local Ohio Starbucks do, at least not in an official capacity. They are professional sports franchises that happen to be based in Ohio.
    I think fans of the Cavaliers would beg to differ with you as far as a their team representing the city of Cleveland, OH. Hell, last year I heard it all the time about how the Pacers are doing a terrible job of representing Indy. While, your point is "technically" correct. A lot of fans and residents don't share your opinion especially when someone on the team cast a dim light upon their city. Just ask anyone from Cincinatti on how they feel about how the Bengals. If no one thought that they didn't represent their city. No one would care that that franchise is always on the local Police Blotter every few weeks.

Perhaps my analogy was a little off but the gist of it is that player X who isn't playing for team Y is in no way obligated to root for that team. It's funny how often people will say that sports is a business but yet not acknowledge it when it comes down to the nitty gritty.
    Yeah, your anology didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either. As for your comment about how many people will say sports is a business. I want to clairify... Players are the ones usually saying that sports is a business, usually a way to cover up their emotions about their perception of being "mistreated" via a trade, or not being offered a "fair" deal.

It's rare if ever I hear fans runing around saying, "Oh well, sports is a business...".
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 09-11-2008 at 02:04 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Well, when cities start paying for stadiums and arenas, we get a bit of a gray area ... yes, there really are hometown teams. Joe Smith's tax dollars made it that way.

Oh, and then the team's players do charity work in the community. Yep. Hometown team.

And then the team's players do speaking gigs at schools in the city. Yep. Hometown team.

Passing out turkeys at Thanksgiving. Yep. Hometown team.

Image is everything.

So when LeBron does this kind of thing ... it should tarnish his appearance to faithful Clevelandites. But they won't have to worry about him too much longer, anyway.

Mood

I'm not sure Braylon Edwards likes Cleveland given his performance against the Cowboys.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    LeBron could support the Guantanamo Bay softball team and I still wouldn't give a *****.

Athletes are just as entitled to like as many teams and players as fans are.
    good for you then but as a whole that statement is easier said than done. i'm pretty sure if that same situation did happen, majority of hoosiers would bash (insert lebron counterpart here) too.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I agree with you except for the fact that when I've seen Peyton at a Pacers game he doesn't appear to care one iota who is playing or winning.
    Atleast he's actually at the game and not caring, which can't be said for the rest of Indianapolis.