Thread: Source: Grizzlies Demanding 1st Round Pick From Knicks

Default Source: Grizzlies Demanding 1st Round Pick From Knicks

A league source has told RealGM contributor Tommy Dee that the Memphis Grizzlies are demanding a first round pick along with Zach Randolph in exchange for Darko Milicic and Marko Jaric.

Walsh in return is asking for a young player, assuming either Javaris Crittenton, Kyle Lowry or Hakim Warrick or the best expiring contract (Antoine Walker) if he is to surrender a first round pick.
    http://www.theknicksblog.com/2008/09...st-round-pick/

Sports Logo

Default Re: Source: Grizzlies Demanding 1st Round Pick From Knicks

LOL......Chris Wallace...the hapless GM that gave Gasol away for nothing...IMHO is now trying to redeem himself by squeezing a 1st rounder out of the Knicks.

Although I can see the trade as being more balenced for both teams without the 1st round trade demand by the Grizzlies.......if the Grizzlies could get a 1st rounder out of the Knicks while giving up Crittenton...I would be amazed.

If I were Chris Wallace...I would still do the trade as originally proposed ( with Darko+Marko for ZBo ) assuming that they REALLY want ZBo and if DW demanded Lowry, Warrick or even Walker back instead of Crittenton since all 3 of them of them have far more trade value and is worth more to the Grizzlies in the long run.

Giving up Crittenton isn't that much of a risk IMHO......especially if it meant getting back some future 1st rounder.....which will likely be a lottery pick to a mid-teens draft pick ( at worst ) over the next 2-3 seasons. Crittenton is still too raw for me to guage whether he would be worth keeping or not and is worth it since I feel that he is redundant in the Grizzlies lineup.
    Last edited by CableKC; 09-08-2008 at 01:06 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think Lowry is so overrated its not funny. To me he is filler. He is a scoring point guard that can't score. His defense is over rated because regardless of how annoying he is, he is only 6'0. Any point guard that has good handles and is 6'3 can pass over him, shoot over him, and post him up. I just don't see the fascination wiyth him. He is like a 6'0 less talented Earl Watson. Crittenton on the other hand has potential. He is 6'4, meaning he can play either guard spot. His potential is great in either position too. Think of him as a raw prime Steve Francis. Jaw dropping athleticism, decent shooting, and he has a better attitude than Francis. I see him being a starter in this league eventually. If they could get rid of Walker, and get a first rounder for him, more power to them. I see that as the best option right now.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Lowry is so overrated its not funny. To me he is filler. He is a scoring point guard that can't score. His defense is over rated because regardless of how annoying he is, he is only 6'0. Any point guard that has good handles and is 6'3 can pass over him, shoot over him, and post him up. I just don't see the fascination wiyth him. He is like a 6'0 less talented Earl Watson. Crittenton on the other hand has potential. He is 6'4, meaning he can play either guard spot. His potential is great in either position too. Think of him as a raw prime Steve Francis. Jaw dropping athleticism, decent shooting, and he has a better attitude than Francis. I see him being a starter in this league eventually. If they could get rid of Walker, and get a first rounder for him, more power to them. I see that as the best option right now.
    Although it is debateable whether Lowry would be the better player to part with over Crittenton......I would not want to part with Walker unless it meant that the Grizzlies would get back $2mil in cash considerations and Malik Rose ( who would be immediately bought out ) along with that 1st round pick. I think that Walker will have alot of value over the next season since he is an unguaranteed Contract that the 2010-2011 FA Market teams will be clamouring for.

Optimally......for the Grizzlies....I would consider the following:

ZBo+Malik Rose+Future 1st round protected Top-10 pick ( or Cash Considerations )

for

Darko+Marko+Walker+Crittenton ( or Lowry )

Ignoring that the Grizzlies will be adding a personality like ZBo to their young roster......financially.....they would come out somewhat even ( taking in as much Guaranteed Salary as they send out ) while moving a redundant Guard ( whichever one you feel is the one the Grizzlies can part with ) and a player that they have no need for.

As for the Knicks....I think that the deal should simply be Darko+Marko for ZBo and leave it at that.
    Last edited by CableKC; 09-08-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    I agree that Lowry would be the player if I was Griz to let go between Hakim W. and J. Crittenton. I would not let Crittenton go. Like you I believe he has a future in the NBA. Walsh likes big PG's, so he could be the player Walsh is wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

LOL......Chris Wallace...the hapless GM that gave Gasol away for nothing

For nothing! Let me refresh your memory.

1st) They shed Pau's next 3 years salary of 49 mil!

2) They got Brown and his 9 mil expiring contract.

3) They got J. Crittenton.

4) They got the rights to Mark Gasol, who they now have under contract.

5) They got the Lakers 08 pick which became Darrell Arthur.

6) They got the Lakers 2010 pick.

"The whole object of this trade was to shed Pau's contract for finanical reasons", and they did. They got salary relieve of 49 mil, Brown's 9 mil expiring, Mark Gasol a really nice young player, J. Crittenton a nice young player, Darrell Arthur, Lakers 2010 pick, and you call this nothing? They got 5 mil more in salary relieve, 1 mil more in expiring, 2 draft picks more than the Pacers got for JO! Either young player they got will be better than trade filler Maceo Baston! Again, you call this nothing? LOL, sorry I can't agree with you.

As long is it's not next year's pick - that should be a top 5.

Probably can't trade it or 2011's anyway.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I actually thought Memphis got the better end of that trade, I think Pau is a bit overrated, and refresh my memory, what did the Lakers win again?

Truth is Memphis was in a situation similar to us, paying a guy franchise money when he's clearly not a franchise player, and being crippled because of it. They saved a ton of cash, got a bunch of prospects, and have freedom to go in a new direction.

Mood

What did the Lakers win? Oh, I don't know. Something called the Western Conference. No biggie.

Seriously though, I agree that it wasn't a horrible trade for Memphis. They got what they wanted.

LOL . . Memphis DEMANDING. Why don't they demand their players for some wins
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

The Lakeshow isn't a team that gets happy about conference wins, they are the most popular and are one of the most successful teams in sports history. For them not getting a championship after the trade is a failure. At least, that's what I hear/believe to be true.